Start by marking “Just as Long as We're Together” as Want to Read:
Just as Long as We're Together

Just as Long as We're Together

(Best Friends)

Rachel is Stephanie's best friend. Since second grade, they've shared secrets, good and bad. Now in seventh grade, Alison moves into the neighborhood. Stephanie hopes all three of them can be best friends, because Stephanie really likes Alison. But it looks as if it's going to be a case of two's company and three's a crowd. Can the girls' friendship be saved?
Published April 9th 2001 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Just as Long as We're Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just as Long as We're Together

Start your review of Just as Long as We're Together
Ola
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nostalgia
I'm mad as hell that Goodreads doesn't have the cover of the version that I read, because I liked that cover a LOT. It's the one that has Stephanie, Rachel and Alison in someone's room (Rachel's?) and they are laughing and someone's holding up one of the purple t-shirt that say "FRIENDS" in yellow letters. So nostalgic. But, I digress.

Anyway. I think this was my favorite Judy Blume novel.

Stephanie and Rachel had been best friends since just about forever. Then seventh grade starts. Alison move
Jill
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book growing up. It was my first Judy Blume novel, and it captured perfectly the world of preteen girls that I was in the midst of experiencing. I wanted to be just like those girls. The emotionally difficult situations of changing friendships and the breakdown of the Hirschs' marriage struck a chord as well. The one real flaw is that the ending just seems to suddenly appear. It doesn't seem to really tie things up at all. I never really minded it much though, other than that I want ...more
Kerri
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somehow the only Judy Blume book I read during my childhood/adolescence was 'Superfudge', the third in the Fudge series. I'm a little unsure how she managed to mostly pass me by, as I would have adored her. As it is, I'm quite happily catching up now, but I know that many of her books, including this one, would have resonated deeply with younger me.
This is very engaging and easy to read, but it also covers a lot -- the complexity of friendship, growing up, parents separating etc. Judy Blume re
Jenny Rebecca
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was my first 'obsession' book. I got it for my 11th birthday and read it about 4 times in the first 2 months I had it. To this day, 20 years later, I still remember that it's Stephanie's birthday on Feb 2. Ground Hog day. As today is Ground Hog day, I wish you a very happy Birthday Stephanie. And to Judy Blume, a thank you for writing characters that seem as real to me now, as they did 20 years ago.
Manybooks
Now while I in fact do not always all that much like Stephanie Hirsch, the twelve going on thirteen year old narrator of Judy Blume's Just as Long as We're Together (and actually sometimes do tend to find both her old best friend ultra-organized brainiac Rachel Robinson and even her somewhat flighty and universally popular new best friend Alison Monceau sometimes a bit more universally likeable and not as inherently conflicted and problematic) I do have to admit that emotionally (although perhap ...more
Rena
This is probably close to my millionth re-read of Judy Blumes' book since childhood, but I was feeling nostalgic. It still holds up. I felt as if I was 12 again, which is something you need every now and again.
Taryn
I read this book in 5th grade (1994ish?). I will always remember it as the book that made me realize my dad wasn't really on a very long business trip! :D Slightly traumatic at the time, but it makes me laugh now!
Jenny Bunting
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereads
This was a childhood favorite growing up and I guess I'm getting real nostalgic this Christmas and I reread it. I'm being conservative when I say I've read it three times.

I really believe that all middle-schoolers should be shipped to a deserted island until high school. Stephanie was insufferable and Rachel got on my damn nerves. So pretentious and snotty. The writing was decent and I liked that the story had no real plot; it just followed the girls around in their everyday life.

Still, I remem
Caitlin
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, 2017
Judy Blume really is just so great. This tackles a lot of transition - fighting with your best friend, puberty, and your parents having a trial separation/thinking about divorce. It's a lot to handle when you're young and Blume knows all those feelings.
Molly Sanchez
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly sweet and relatable. The weight stuff is hard to read, and makes my heart ache for Steph. Still Judy does a good job of subtly talking about racism once. It's also a good snap shot of how lacksidasical boomers and beyond were about body issues and the emotional toll divorce could take. I wish everyone in this book was nicer to Steph.
Diana Welsch
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
When I was in 5th grade, the deal was if you got 100% on the spelling test on Monday, you didn't have to take it on Friday. I was great at spelling. So every Friday, I would go into the little room with the bookshelf and beanbag chair during the spelling test and read, read, read. I read this entire book in those 20-minute increments. When I was done, a male friend of mine in the class found out and put it on the markerboard tray during recess and drew arrows point to it and things like "DIANA R ...more
Erin
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read this book back in elementary school and hadn't liked it much then. But I thought I would give it a whirl since I just got a vintage copy. I love books written in the 80s because they bring me back to my youth in a way that few other things do. Judy Blume is an expert at depicting preteen suburban Jersey Girls in a way that reaches out to girls worldwide. This book was no exception. Stephanie is an average girl making her way through junior high, having two best friends instead of one ...more
Pinky
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-15
Never have I been taken back to the pain and torture of 7th grade until now, reading this. Judy Blume - how do you do it?!? I was just a little too old to read this when it was first published in 1987, but the Guess? jeans, the school dances, the fear of nuclear war (thanks to The Day After) rosebud comforter with matching lampshades and jazzercise? Wow. And the complicated friendships and family relationships while on a hormonal roller coaster - it's all perfect and made me incredibly tense. Ra ...more
Aishah
The characters to in this to me did not act like 7th graders AT ALL. It may be that they were just a group of immature girls, or that the author does not exactly understand how middle schoolers are. To me, these characters were equivalent to 4th graders.
Of course, I took this book lightly because it is just suppose to be a fun read considering it’s a middle-grade book, but compared to other Judy Blume books, this was 2nd to last on my list of favorites.
Holly Casio
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was so worried that this might not be as wonderful as I remembered it. This was my fave book about friendship jealousy and breakups when I was younger and reading it now I still had all the same feelings.All of the book's breakups centre around best friends and families rather than any pointless boy crush related heartache. Theres still a few things now which make me cringe like some of the descriptions around Steph's weight gain but ultimately the deep dive of complicated best friendships men ...more
Tatevik Najaryan
Judy Blume is at her best for children's and coming of age books. And the most important of all, I love how she wraps the lessons in an excellent and attracting stories. I was not disappointed at all, absolutely love her friendship stories.
Pandora
The summary at the top is what I read on the back of the book. If the book had been from Rachel's point of view the summary would have been correct. However the book is from Stephanie's point of view and she doesn't realize there is a problem until Rachel and she have a fight on page 241.

Most of Stephaine's story is focused on the separtion and possible divorce of her parnets. That however did not come into play until page 120. Till then the story is just a build up of Stephanie and Rachel meet
Morgan
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-children
Judy Blume is one of my favorite Juvenile Fiction Authors. She has his way with words and creating these characters that have so much dimension...my heart! Her introduction to this book got me slightly teary-eyed. She talked about having good friends and how sometimes they come and go, and she talked about finding your best friend. That person that you just click with and it's so easy. She also talked about how it is a STRUGGLE being a part of a trio of friends. I have had my fair share of trios ...more
J3llyfish
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was obsessed with this book. I read it over and over and over. It was again one of those books I discovered at the perfect age, and I fell in love.
CocoY8
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I laughed the whole way through! It was amazing, spectacular and heartwarming
Amber
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still a classic, after all these years. <3 ...more
Brianna
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read that "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret" may be made into a movie, I thought it would be fun to re-read some of my favorite Judy Blume books and read ones that I have missed. Just As Long As We're Together is my favorite by her. I read and re-read it many times in my younger years. Even now as an adult and re-reading it all those childhood memories came rushing back... I could relate to all the characters, especially Stephanie... She reminded me of myself when I was that age! Defin ...more
LauraW
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tween, from-library
I am sure I read this many, many years ago, when it was a lot newer. Surprisingly, it hasn't aged all that badly. It reminds me a lot of teaching middle school - all of the painful friend/not friend, lonely, teasing/showing romantic interest, young teen issues.
Cecily Kyle
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute quick read. I always loved Judy Blume but unfortunately I am a little too old for these stories to be amazing to me anymore but working with kids I still like to read what they might be reading and I think this is a great book for young people.
Good Read!
Melissa
not perfect by any means (some lazy, dated stereotypes and fat phobia, but this book helped narrate my early teens and i identify so strongly with the friendships and big feelings, even now 25 years later.
Mindy
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a favorite of mine as an adolescent, and it was fun to read again as an adult!
Ava Strother
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious book about growing up and some how very relatable.
Amy Holiday
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
One of my absolute faves growing up. Would love to read it again, but unfortunately, my middle-school copy has been lost to the winds. Will see if I can track it down.
Gretchen
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Just one of those inexplicable favorites.
Vicki
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, ya, gradschool
I read this book over and over again when I was a kid. It’s typical for me to revisit things from my childhood and empathize with the adults (esp in shows like Gilmore Girls), but this book is different. Stephanie is such a smart, authentic voice whose side I am on unconditionally.

• Nothing's Fair in Fifth Grade
  • Celebrate Your Body (and Its Changes, Too!): The Ultimate Puberty Book for Girls
  • Baby-Sitters on Board! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #1)
  • Anatomy of a Boyfriend (Anatomy, #1)
  • 11 Before 12 (Friendship List, #1)
  • The Cat Ate My Gymsuit
  • 12 Before 13
  • Babysitter's Club Collection (Books 1-4) (Baby-Sitters Club)
  • Into the Heart of Tasmania: A Search For Human Antiquity
  • See You on a Starry Night
  • Rani jadi
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • Faith, Hope, and Ivy June
  • Patti's Luck (Sleepover Friends, #1)
  • Ljubav u doba kokaina
  • Like Magic
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Becoming Brianna
Judy Blume spent her childhood in Elizabeth, New Jersey, making up stories inside her head. She has spent her adult years in many places doing the same thing, only now she writes her stories down on paper. Adults as well as children will recognize such Blume titles as: Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret; Blubber; Just as Long as We're Together; and the five book series about the irrepressible Fu ...more

Best Friends (2 books)