Start by marking “A Temple of Forgotten Spirits: The Complete Adventures of Jack Hong” as Want to Read:
A Temple of Forgotten Spirits: The Complete Adventures of Jack Hong

A Temple of Forgotten Spirits: The Complete Adventures of Jack Hong

A young guy named Jack Hong hitchhikes throughout America following the keilin, a mystical unicorn out of Chinese mythology. The keilin leads him to ten adventures with ghosts and other supernatural figures. These experiences reveal to him not only parts of American history he never knew, but also his own identity and the role he will choose for his life.

~~~~~
Published December 13th 2017

To ask other readers questions about A Temple of Forgotten Spirits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Temple of Forgotten Spirits

Start your review of A Temple of Forgotten Spirits: The Complete Adventures of Jack Hong
Casia Courtier
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an audible code via Audiobook Boom for an honest review. What follows is my opinion and mine alone. There was no compensation for this review.

A Temple of Forgotten Spiritsis a full-length novel that is comprised of multiple short stories. It tells the story of a Chinese-American man and his journey across the United States on his search for a mythical unicorn. He is introduced to the history of the Chinese in America little by little.

I am a third generation Filippino-American (25%
Susan
This book contains the following interconnected short stories: Wild Garlic, On a Phantom Tide, The Shade of Lo Man Gong, Pagan Night, Desert Night Ride, Caravan of Death, Tong Yun Guy, Shaunessy Fong, Tinsel Chink, In the Temple of Forgotten Spirits. They capture the adventures of Jack Hong as he hitchhikes across the USA chasing after the elusive keilin (Chinese unicorn). The collection as a whole works pretty well. I think a few edits would have tightened the story up a bit so that it read ...more
Laura Beamer
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it

I was given a free review copy of the audiobook, at my request, and am leaving this review voluntarily. All opinions expressed are my own. NOTE: After listening to the audiobook, I also purchased the Kindle version.

A Temple of Forgotten Spirits was originally published as a series of short stories between 1985 and 1993, but was always envisioned as a novel. This collection includes the entire story of Jack Hong, an aimless Chinese-American with little connection to his cultural heritage. In the
Amie's Book Reviews
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This This is a collection of short stories that when put together as they are in this audiobook, make up an entire novel.

This was my first experience reading any of William F. Wu’s work and I found it both interesting and informative.

Prior to listening to this audiobook, I had never heard of the word “keilin.” What the heck is a keilin? Well, it is the Asian version of a unicorn, but it is miles away from what most people envision a unicorn to look like. Instead of looking like a horse with a
Victoria Haugen
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful collection of stories from William Wu that I really enjoyed. It was different from titles I usually listen to, and appreciate the beauty in the stories. The author's comments about each story was also very helpful and insightful. Follow the adventures of a Chinese-American as he travels and meets all sorts of interesting things. Very neat book, really enjoyed the writing and narration :)
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this
Emmy
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
•audiobook•

Anthony Lee was an ideal narrator for this book. If you aren’t used to listening/conversing to someone with an accent, it may take a while. But give it a few start overs and the journey is worth it!

Each chapter is similar to a section of Jack Hong’s quest to the keilin. I really liked how the myth and folklore is explained and how it takes him a step closer.

I listened to this several times. I had never heard of the keilin and this book was very captivating and intriguing.

I really
Mv
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first book I’ve read/listened to by this author. I enjoyed the author’s notes after each short story. They added a level of interest, and insight into his intent behind the story. They improved my take on the stories, since I felt the stories were average. The conclusion to the book tied all the stories together nicely. The main character lacked depth, and I never came to feel for the guy. I don’t think it would have taken much to flesh out his personality a bit more. The Chinese ...more
Elena Alvarez Dosil
Mark Gaulton
Nov 05, 2019
Paul
Jan 03, 2020

• The Light: New Jersey (Tales from a Revolution)
  • Skeletons in the Attic (Marketville Mystery, #1)
  • The Sigma Surrogate
  • Rituals of the Dead (Adventures of Zelda Richardson #3)
  • The Hidden Village (book 1)
  • Love and Hate: In Nazi Germany
  • ISLAND ADVENTURES: Disconnecting in the Caribbean and South Pacific
  • Deadly Shadow: A Paranormal Suspense Thriller (The Assassin Chronicles Book 1)
  • Dragonia: Rise of the Wyverns (Dragonia Empire, #1)
  • The Oldest Soul - Animus: Volume 1