Start by marking “Leo Gets a Checkup” as Want to Read:
Leo Gets a Checkup

Leo Gets a Checkup

When Dad takes Leo to visit the doctor, Leo learns to wait his turn, sit quietly while his eyes and ears are checked, and be brave during a shot. And, of course, Leo gets a book before he leaves! Little brother Leo was first introduced through the best-selling Lola Reads series in Lola Reads to Leo. In 2014, Leo made his debut with his own adventure, Leo Loves Baby Time, f ...more
Published September 11th 2018 by Charlesbridge Publishing (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Leo Gets a Checkup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leo Gets a Checkup

Start your review of Leo Gets a Checkup
Chance Lee
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Detailed illustrations and matter-of-fact text combine to tell a gentle story about a visit to the doctor's office. Leo is so cute!
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Infant-Toddler
After trips to swim class and storytime, baby Leo now visits the doctor for a checkup in this third book in the series. Such a delightful series about common baby activities.

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Library
Katie Fitzgerald
Geared toward toddlers, this is a pretty straightforward book about going to the doctor's office. It includes some details that champion particular causes (the doctor gives Leo a free book, and a mom is nursing in the waiting room) but otherwise, it's pretty much like every other book of this type.

This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.
Kelly
Sep 11, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018, diverse
Really adorable and informative. I love that he gets to take a book home, too. I think that should be a part of all pediatricians at some point during the child's early years.
Samantha
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic
1. N/A
2. This book is appropriate for preschool aged children.
3. Leo is a toddler who is becoming a big boy that can feed himself, sing, dance, and play. It's not long before it's time for Leo to clean up his toys and head to the clinic or doctors for a checkup. He waits in the waiting room playing until it is his turn. When he sees the color Leo gets his height and weight done, his eyes checked, his ears, and his heart. Before he leaves he also gets a shot to keep him healthy.
4. This is a gre
Mathew
Lulu's little brother, Zeki, is off to get his jab at the local doctors. For all of us this can be daunting but especially so for children. McQuinn shows here a family preparing together and they involve Zeki in the experience as much as possible so that he has some control and ownership over the event. When he arrives, Zeki meets other children like him has his jab and is treated to a special book for being so brave. A lovely book for parents to share with their child so that they begin to unde ...more
Helen O'Hara
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leo is a big kid now, and can do so much! He sips from his cup, he eats by himself, and he knows how to put all his toys away at the end of playtime. When it's time for a checkup with the doctor, he knows exactly what to do. With his stuffed animal Mister Seahorse right by his side in the waiting room, Leo isn't scared about a thing.

Doctors help us when we're sick, but it's important to remember they LOVE when we share good news, too. Leo's doctor was just as excited as he was when he told her h
Zoe
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So reassuring and lovely, this is an absolute must for every "when a book might help" shelf in every library, but also for nurseries, play-groups, children's centres and GP practices. The Zeki and Lulu books take everyday experiences of little children seriously - in this case going to the doctors - treating their view of the world with respect and kindness.
Kelsey
Age: Infant-Toddler
All about me: Trip to the doctor

Emily
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet title in the Leo and Lola series. Shows Leo getting ready to go to the doctor, and some of the things he experiences while he's at the clinic. The last thing is a shot, but the title doesn't dwell on it. I loved that it was Leo's dad who took him to his check-up.
Cara Byrne
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Leo is growing big and gets his annual check up. This book both emphasizes the importance of vaccinations and shows a mother breastfeeding in the waiting room of the clinic.
Miss Sarah
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Leo the toddler is going for a check up at the doctor's. Love he goes to a clinic which wa a little differnt. Toddler and up
Kelly
Short, quick story of Leo and his visit to the doctor for a checkup. Read this to your child before you bring them to the doctor.
Megan
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Leo goes to the doctor and shows off his big-boy skills.
One Code 431
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cuteeeeee nesssss over loadddddd
Jenna Mills
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-book
Great book and handy to read before a HV or GP appointment!
Syntha Green
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice intro to going to the doctor for kids.
Cheryl
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-tween
Great book for toddlers about what will happen at the doctor's office. I love the positive nods to breastfeeding and vaccination.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc
Straightforward with nice illustrations. I enjoy Leo and Lola.
Anthony
Leo is a big boy now, and it's time a check up to see how healthy he is. This book talks about preparations to access a growing child's development from a medical perspective.
Becky
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Always a fan of this series. Simple and accessible.
Kaydee
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this series so much and my toddler is always engaged by these books!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the illustration style! I wish there were more of the kid at the doctor rather than at home playing with toys, because those pages were the best!
Lauren Drake
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great book about Zeki getting a check-up at doctors and showing children that they don't need to be afraid. I like the use of diversity amongst characters in this book and how to doctor is female (stereotypically doctors are male). The text and illustrations are really clear in this book and therefore i believe it would be good for sharing with a group as it will be able to be seen by everyone.
Annburnett
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Book about babies going to the doctor.
Jenna Mills
A sweet one
BrookesEducationLibrary
A great book to help children understand about visiting the doctors!
Rebecca

• Home Is a Window
  • I Got Next
  • B Is for Baby
  • Winter Is Here
I am so lucky to spend my life working with books and stories. I've run groups for babies, toddlers and their parents in libraries, reading stories and introducing children and carers to great books; I spend time writing and I'm Editor-at-Large for the magnificent independent publisher, AlannaMax in the UK.
In my spare time, I read - what a wonderful life!
There are some Children's Books on my shel