Start by marking “The Glovemaker” as Want to Read:
The Glovemaker

The Glovemaker

In the inhospitable lands of the Utah Territory, during the winter of 1888, thirty-seven-year-old Deborah Tyler waits for her husband, Samuel, to return home from his travels as a wheelwright. It is now the depths of winter, Samuel is weeks overdue, and Deborah is getting worried.

Deborah lives in Junction, a tiny town of seven Mormon families scattered along the floor of
Published February 5th 2019 by Skyhorse

To ask other readers questions about The Glovemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glovemaker

Start your review of The Glovemaker
Angela M
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The place in Utah is now called Capital Reef National Park, but in 1888 it was know as Junction, where a small number of Mormons settled. They settled here to separate themselves in a way from their Mormon community and while some of them may not have been as devout, they still considered themselves to be “Saints”, part of the Church of Latter Day Saints. With lovely prose I was taken there and then, because Anne Weisgarber made me feel as if I was in this rugged area of Utah, in the winter of 1
Amalia Gavea
‘’The recent days of sun and spells of warmer afternoon had melted the snow so that it was only calf deep. As day broke, we rode past and around rock formations shaped like cathedrals. Massive pillared walls of rock streaked orange and white sat on top of buttes. Nels steered us away from deep cracks in the earth that appeared without warning. Above us, hawks rode and rafts of air with their wings stretched wide.’’

Utah, 1888. Deborah, a Mormon woman who doesn’t practice polygamy, is waiting for
Brandice
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was completely invested in The Glovemaker right off the bat. I found this historical fiction story interesting - it stayed interesting - and I was curious to see how things would play out.

The Glovemaker is set in the late 1880s in Utah. Deborah is anxiously awaiting the return of her husband, Samuel, from a work trip. He travels, near and far, fixing wagon wheels. Deborah, her husband’s stepbrother, Nels, and the other families living in the isolated town of Junction, are Mormon.

One winter n
Jen
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a quiet, slow moving story yet impactful in its simplicity. It takes place in an isolated Mormon town in Utah where the terrain is harsh.
A woman patiently awaits her husband’s return from a journey he should have been back from weeks ago. A man appears and with him comes trouble. This is a story about faith and doctrine; a questioning of religion and it’s authoritarian ways. Now it happens that their faith is put to the test. Saving one who is not their own but recognizing the humanitar
Karen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful novel set in the rugged canyon country of southern Utah and takes place in the winter of 1888.
A few Mormon families have moved to “The Junction” they do not practice all the ways of the church anymore but haven’t completely broken away.
This story was mostly told by Deborah, a Mormon wife waiting patiently for her traveling wheelwright husband to return home, and Nels.. the husbands stepbrother.
Some occurrences happen that make this very suspenseful, and that tackle their
Cheri

Set in Junction, a town in the southwestern area of Utah, in the somewhat harsh, craggy land of canyons, with unbearably hot and humid summers, and bitterly cold, snow-filled and dangerous winters, a settlement of eight Mormon families have chosen to call this place home, during the winter of end of 1887 through the beginning of 1888.

”I’d known Samuel since I was eleven and he was twelve. I was forty now. Him and me were step-brothers. If he were in some kind of trouble, he’d expect me to lo
Marialyce
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a book such as this to make one realize what a very difficult life the American pioneers had living in uncharted harsh land that was isolated and remote.

In The Glovemaker by Ann Weisgarber, we are introduced to Deborah Tyler, a woman whose husband is a wheelwright, and also a Mormon. Because of their differing beliefs in the Mormon faith, they decided to move to an enclave consisting of seven families in a place they call Junction. Deborah's husband, Samuel, needs to travel with his occ
Veronica ⭐️
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
The Glovemaker is an atmospheric tale set in the small Mormon community of Junction in Southern Utah. A small group of Mormon families have moved away from the core group to create some distance but not all together give up their faith. It was a place for those that wanted to escape religious persecution and those that needed some space within their religion.
Deborah and Samuel do not practice the faith’s practice of polygamy but are willing to help their
ABCme
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Skyhorse Publishing for the ARC.

This is an intriguing chapter in Mormon history. One I knew nothing about and that kept me glued to the pages.

Utah Territory Mountains, 1888.
A man on the run after being charged with polygamy shelters in the tiny settlement of Junction before moving on to the safe haven of Floral Ranch.
A marshall chasing him also ends up in Junction.
The settlement consists of a few families who have left Carson in disagreement over dogma, while still practi
Melissa Crytzer Fry
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good historical fiction illuminates the past through story. And with Ann Weisgarber’s precise, pitch-perfect writing, you’re in for quite a tale about members of the Mormon community in rugged 1888 Utah; they are believers, but with their own caveats about the church.

I had no idea about the historic events at Mountain Meadows and very little understanding of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ faith; while there is a strong Mormon presence in Arizona, and I lived on a street in down
Zoe
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unnerving, atmospheric, and insightful!

The Glovemaker is an immersive tale that sweeps you away to the harsh territory of canyon country, Southern Utah during the late 1880s when the strict rules and practice of polygamy by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints prompted even some of their most faithful followers to drift away to remote areas and create new, smaller communities of their own.

The prose is concise and expressive. The characters are hardy, resourceful, isolated, and torment
Lou
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Glovemaker is a fine example of a meticulously researched and exquisitely characterised work of historical fiction. The plot unfurls slowly and steadily as you read, and both the beautifully drawn characters and the plot are vividly engaging; I felt as though I was there with them and not just looking from the outside in. It is, however, a rather bleak and melancholy-infused story that gets under your skin, but the descriptions of nineteenth-century rural Utah and the townsfolk are appealing ...more
Susan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book takes place in the winter of 1888 in Junction which is part of the Utah territory. Deborah Tyler is anxiously awaiting the return of her husband Samuel who is several weeks late. Deborah and seven other Mormon families are struggling to survive in this remote region where they don't agree with the practice of polygamy and some of the stricter doctrines of the Mormon faith.

When a stranger shows up at Deborah's door it sets off a chain of events that will forever change Deborah and the t
Connie G
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
In 1888 a small settlement of Mormons were living in Junction, Utah. These isolated families were not quite as organized and devout as most in their church, but still kept the Faith. Deborah was alone on a frigid January evening, and feeling worried because her husband had not returned yet from his long journey working as a wheelwright. There was a knock on the door from a stranger needing help. Although Deborah and her husband did not practice polygamy, they had provided shelter on other occasi ...more
Tina
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 STARS

This is the first book I've read by the author Ann Weisgarber. I must say I was not disappointed with her writing. She writes a poignant and fascinating story. You can envision the rough and rugged landscape of Utah in the late 1880's that she writes about.

The story is told by two characters. Both are living in a very small Mormon settlement in Utah in the late 1880's. Deborah, has been left alone for many months as her husband (Samuel) is a wheelwright and travels the countryside to fi
Cathrine ☯️
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 ★
I liked it, sometimes more, then less, at different points in the journey.
Beadyjan
Having read and loved the authors two previous books I have waited and anticipated a new title by her for quite some time. So I was eager to read this and very fortunate to receive an advance copy.

I quite simply LOVED it.

The author has the amazing skill of creating, convincing characters whose skin you can slip inside for the duration of the book. Strong, credible women who live a life so different to my own it would seem virtually impossible to relate to them. Yet the women she creates have l
Karen Kay
I received this from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

Deborah Tyler waits for her husband, Samuel, to return home from his travels as a wheelwright. It is now the depths of winter, Samuel is weeks overdue, and Deborah is getting worried. When a desperate stranger who is pursued by a Federal Marshal shows up on her doorstep seeking refuge, it sets in motion a chain of events that will turn her life upside down.

Good story. The weather and the bleakness of living conditions plays a vital pa
Deanne Patterson
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first read by this author. The book's historical details were finely researched by the author. The characters are very realistic in speech and mannerisms of the Mormons which is what the main character along with seven other families in this desolate Utah territory in the winter of 1888 are.
The book was raw,very realistic and bleak. It kept my attention fully riveted on the pages. I enjoyed learning about the Mormons and some of their beliefs and practices in nineteenth-century rural
Steven Davis
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book- one of the best historical novels I've read. I finished this in several long gulps and have been thinking about it ever since. The time and place are so exquisitely wrought by the author, and she brings her characters to life with ringing clarity. This made me rethink what I thought I knew about Mormon communities, but more than that, it made me pause in wonder at the complexity and beauty of human relations. It's a very emotional and deeply affecting story -- and th ...more
Chris
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The actual story plot was okay. This book was exceedingly heavy on the Mormon faith and it’s history with religious quotes throughout and examples of monogamous and polygamous relationships within their own tiny community tucked in the canyons of Utah.
Eva
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5* --> 5*

In the late 1880’s, the federal government of America declared polygamy a felony. Bad news for the Mormons then. Men with multiple wives suddenly found themselves on the wrong side of the law and with warrants out for their arrest, many fled not just to save themselves but also to protect their families.

In the small town of Junction, we meet Deborah. She is the odd one out in this town. Married, but to a husband who is away for months at a time and with no children, the other villager
Erin
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to Netgalley for an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review

This was a bit of a slow start in the beginning and I just couldn't help but feel that the storyline would have been much more interesting if it was a short story rather than a full length novel. Crazy idea, right? Not enough action for my tastes but I did find the historical record interesting.
Jeanette
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This book in the majority of pages was 4 star. But somehow in the last 50 pages in trying to tie up the Mormon history and comparisons to past events in which Latter Day Saints were pivotal- it just lost an entire star for me. It took you too far from Deborah and her crisis thoughts when nursing the Marshall. After that point in the book? I felt I didn't "lose" the core of Deborah and her waiting angst and onus to the Mormon connections to motives in her life- but that it became too many other c ...more
Rebecca Rosenberg
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The gloves say it all... This is a slice of American History that most of us have no idea about unless you are Morman, and then, maybe not even then. What does it feel like for Deborah to grow up as a Latter Day Saint, the daughter of the second wife, when her father prefers the company of his new family? What does it do to her faith in everything she was raised to believe?

Ann Weisberger combines the deep questions of faith, religion and spirituality with a thriller and mystery. I can't remembe
Kathy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1880's Utah, remote homesteads of Mormons - The daily living under threat from U.S. Marshalls is poignantly presented in accounts from two major characters in the account.
I found it interesting.
First reading of this author. She succeeds in portraying the hardships of a young woman living alone in a small cabin with nearest neighbors some distance whose husband travels to make his living as a wheelwright. Her fears and caution are evident when having to answer the door to strangers.
Erin
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://historicalfictionreader.blogsp...

The Glovemaker marks my first encounter with the work of Ann Weisgarber and I can’t say I’m disappointed with my experience. Though a little slow for my liking, the novel delves into some complex subject matter and I liked how it made me think about the characters and the issues that shape them.

Deborah Tyler is a woman of faith who questions both the traditions of her community and those who persecute her fellows for the pra
Jypsy
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The Glovemaker was not what I expected. I'm not familiar with the Mormon faith, and for this reason, I couldn't connect with this story. I believe anyone familiar with the Mormon faith will enjoy this book. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Jessica McCann
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book from Ann Weisgarber. She is now 3 for 3, in my opinion. While each of her novels are a bit different, they all feature resilient women in harsh conditions. Ann has a unique talent for understanding the human psyche – especially when it comes to love, family, survival and our tendency to rationalize our actions to fit the outcomes we want or believe we need. Her characters are not perfect. They’re real. They are endearing. And that is what makes her stories so powerful.
Annette
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The style of writing is engaging, but for me it was more of the storyline that wasn’t grasping for me. And this is due to personal preferences. Before requesting this book, I was hesitant if this was something I wanted to read. And it got confirmed that this was not a book for me due to the storyline.

• Someplace to Call Home
  • Westering Women
  • A Single Thread
  • This Tender Land
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Light Changes Everything
  • The Widows (Kinship #1)
  • Simon the Fiddler
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • Lady Clementine
  • The Wartime Sisters
  • Mistress of the Ritz
Ann is the author of "The Glovemaker," "The Promise," and "The Personal History of Rachel DuPree." She was nominated for the UK's Orange Prize, the Orange Award for New Writers, and the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction. In the United States, she won the Stephen Turner Award for New Fiction and the Langum Prize for American Historical Fiction. She was shortlisted for the Ohioana Book Award ...more