Start by marking “Fit for Purpose: How Modern Businesses Find, Satisfy, & Keep Customers” as Want to Read:
Fit for Purpose: How Modern Businesses Find, Satisfy, & Keep Customers

Fit for Purpose: How Modern Businesses Find, Satisfy, & Keep Customers

From the best-selling author of Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business, David J Anderson, together with Alexei Zheglov, teaches you how to answer these questions and more. . . .

How do you know whether a change is an improvement?
When is an improvement a step too far?
When might you be overserving your market?
How do you create the right metrics t
Published December 19th 2017 by Blue Hole Press

To ask other readers questions about Fit for Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fit for Purpose

Start your review of Fit for Purpose: How Modern Businesses Find, Satisfy, & Keep Customers
Gerard Chiva
The underlying concept is great, however I cannot give more than 3 stars as I think they could have written it in half the pages. Last part of the book comparing to other models is not very useful and the first part I summarized for mysef in 10 pages. So, service design 8, service implementation 6, service delivery 5 :)
Wesley Zapellini
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great work from David and Alexei!

The book presents complex concepts in a simple way, using storytelling to engage the reader.
Another aspect that is worth mentioning is that there is a summary at the end every chapter, which made it easier to wrap up the content.

Recommended to people looking for a pragmatic approach to improve their understanding about the customer base.

As a Kanban practitioner, I have also found it useful as a first step into product management.

Sebastian Gebski
D.A's "Kanban" has been groudbreaking for me - it has changed the perspectives I use to perceive both professional & personal life, becoming a foundation of my personal version of "Getting Shit Done" attitude. For that I will always be very grateful. Nevertheless, even all my sympathy to D.A. doesn't change the fact that "Fit for Purpose" is at most an average book :(

On the 'pros' side: it's very approachable - straightforward & clear message, very simple examples & cases
Kirill Klimov
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In today's world tons of information is available to you via different means and channels. Hundreds, if not thousands, books on innovation, management approaches, leadership. With all noise, a book of David is Alexei is a breath of fresh air. Rare book, these says, definitely worth reading. I had a pleasure to preview pre-published galley and was stunned by it. Great mix of engaging stories from different business domains to illustrate points authors are making. These examples via narrative make ...more
Davide Tarasconi
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As an Agile coach I'm involved with companies that are changing and going through re-orgs in order to react better to an ever-changing market. I know the author as the creator of the modern-day Kanban methodology and up until now I didn't know that his focus of the business side was so in-depth.

This is "Book I" of an upcoming trilogy dedicated to the idea of evolutionary companies and businesses, how they react, adapt and evolve.

This book presents the cornerstone of this
Raphael Albino
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book brings essential concepts about the value of understating customer purpose based on product or service design, implementation, and delivery (lead time).
Every company should monitor key performance indicators and avoid to overvalue vanity metrics. The health of the business has to be guided by actionable data.
Each product or service has different types of customers, and if you want to deliver a purpose solution, you might validate the thresholds of criterions like duration, a
Gabe Abella
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As an organizational coach at a large enterprise I am expected to bring the most effective modern thinking tools and practices to the lines of business, executives, and teams that I advise. You will find 'Fit for Purpose' an insightful read that shines in its ability to create a deep understanding of its key ideas through storytelling based on real life case studies from well known companies as well as examples from the authors' own personal experiences building a successful business in a highly ...more
Johan Dahlbäck
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book for anyone working with business and product strategy, design, delivery and implementation. The Fit for purpose "framework" is tangible and useful tool to align a modern organisation to the needs of the customer, in order to be profitable and survive over time. David and Alex describe and explain it with a lot of stories based on real life examples.

I have already tried the F4P Box Score methods and can testify that I did get some very useful results from it.

To make this a 5
Toni Tassani
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
A good collection of stories from different markets serve to describe how to assess if a product or service is fit for purpose. The discussion traverses KPIs, metrics, narratives and classes of service, and connects F4P Cards and Box Score with OODA loop, lean startup, personas, NPS and Balanced Scorecard.
There is, however, an oversimplification in the discussion about microservices and platforms.
Carlos
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good approach to real business value metrics and a good improvent over NPS. The F4P Framework and all the examples makes it worth reading.

By the other hand, the smooth way that example narrative adds to the reading, turns it a too much redundant book. Quite too long.
Marcelo Marino
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended reading for product managers

Interesting perspective on how to identify customer segments and manage them accordingly. Also, good comparison and contrast with existing practices, would have appreciated more concrete examples on okrs.
Andressa