Start by marking “The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth: Understanding Our World and Its Ecosystems” as Want to Read:

An illustrated journey through the world’s ecosystems that chronicles the plants and animals that live there and explains how they–and planet Earth–work, from the New York Times best-selling author of Women in Science.

Beautifully combining art and science, The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth is an illustrated tour of the planet that reveals ecosystems large and small, fr
Published September 18th 2018 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth

Start your review of The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth: Understanding Our World and Its Ecosystems
Georgia Davies
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Honestly such a beautiful book, the illustrations are incredible, and also just a great book for learning a little about the different eco systems of the world
Kristi
Jun 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I listened to this on audio. I don’t think that was the optimal way to enjoy this book. I liked it, it just wasn’t a lot of new info or particularly inspiring.
Lian
Dec 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Love the concept and content list of this book, as well as the layout and design. Particularly love the eco focus. I’m disappointed, though, in the inaccuracies or arguable inaccuracies. As an Australian who has spent decades researching our land and history, I was stunned at the considerable mistakes, many of them easily sourced.

First people landed in Australia 50,000 years ago.
Not true. It’s recognized as 60,000 years and more likely up to 75,000.

The lush grasslands of Australia...
I would nev
Charlene
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The writing was dry, basic, short, and choppy, but it’s important to talk about climate change.
Krista
Oct 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
The inaccurate information in this book is bothersome. I picked it up from the library because of the illustrations, being a nature book, and I thought I could use it in our homeschool studies. I was overwhelmed by the inaccurate info. The illustrations are nice though.
Anny
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started this thinking that this would be so easy that it'd be a cheat for my reading challenge. Boy was I wrong. This "picture book" is jam-packed with info; gorgeous illustrations and approachable science. As an ecologist I appreciate how well-balanced and accurate the writing was in this book. Perfect for teaching and for pleasure!
Richard
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook version of this book; however, I would recommend actually reading the book.

The content was interesting, but it sounded like a textbook was being read. When I picked out the book, I was hoping it would present the information in a more approachable format. A lot of the information was still interesting; however, the writing was style was mediocre.
Leslie Morrison
We love this beautiful book!
John
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars may seem a little harsh, but remember that three stars means I like it.

And there is a lot to like here:
* a very consistent design scheme that communicates quite well
* a well-developed illustrative style that is clear and consistent, but also rich with personality
* a great introductory section that introduces a lot of key terms and conventions. This is one place where the book most fulfills it's promise
* great concluding sections, turning from ecosystems to broader cycles, human impa
Dakota Morgan
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth is just as beautifully illustrated as Rachel Ignotofsky's previous efforts, if a little unclear on its target audience. The science is sound, but also pretty dense and text-heavy. This contrasts with the art, which is loose and colorful...and difficult to follow if you're invested in the science. I could see a younger reader loving the art, but being totally lost in the words.

That said, Ignotofsky makes a valiant effort to include plenty of fun facts, so it'
Anne
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils, dnf, ya, reviewed
I love the illustrations in this book. I was enraptured by them and spent long minutes examining each page. the text that accompanies each section is rather dense and often printed white on black pages, which I find hard to read. I love the essence of the book. I, however, cannot figure out the target audience. Teens seem to be unlikely to spend as much time as I did with each page to discover it's treasures and adults may be put off by the marketing toward young adults. I especially appreciate ...more
Alicia
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am becoming a big fan of Ignotofsky’s work as an illustrator first and foremost but as a researcher. She does both and that’s a force to be reckoned with.

The book pays homage to the natural beauty and wonderment of the entire world as it interlocks- discussing ecosystems and wildlife, regional differences, and species, but explaining how humans are affecting it. There are things to appreciate and things to pay attention to.

The glass jar concept of illustrating each ecosystem continent by con
Emily
Beautiful, interesting illustrations and good information about ecosystems, natural cycles, and biology. The writer's clear goal was teaching children about the impact human behavior is having on the world's ecosystems, but the book is not preachy. I'm glad to see that Ignotofsky acknowledges how important fighting poverty is to saving the environment.
We cannot expect poor people to shoulder the responsibility of saving the planet when their communities are worried about providing for themse
BiblioBickie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An beautifully illustrated encyclopedic collection of infographics and small text exploring a variety of ecosystems organized by continent. Includes overview section orienting readers to key definitions and concepts, aquatic ecosystems, cycles of nature (carbon, nitrogen, etc), and human-driven ecosystems such as farms and cities combined with human impacts on the Earth. Did not read the whole thing but would love to. Perfect for browsing as well as research; there is a lot of information packed ...more
Jeff Lewonczyk
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations and infographics about ecosystems, life-cycles, etc. The text gets the job done, but it begs the question of who exactly the book is intended for - there's a lot of it, and it occasionally seems a bit dry for mid-level readers. Still, it manages to be very real about loaded topics like climate change, without being condescending or shrill. But to go back to what I started with: the attraction here is the images, which manage to be lush and lively despite the fla ...more
Jes
This is a gorgeous book with good, fact checked information. It leans more on the environmentalist side, has some pretty elevated vocabulary, but don't worry: there's a glossary. Mostly, it has lots of interesting ecological facts for many different biomes and habitats. I wish I had been able to study biology from only Ignotofsky books. That's a challenge, Rachel.
Megan Rosenkranz
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book by Rachel Ignofsky goes through each ecosystem in the world and discusses how it has been impacted by climate change. Another adult centered book that could be used as a source for my middle school students in our climate change unit. Incredibly fun, beautiful pictures, and captivating discretions bring this book to an exciting place.
Linda
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
This is a lovely book that includes lots of interesting information about planet earth. The author presents the information in a very accessbile manner. She also illustrates the book and the illustrations are a lot of fun. I learned quite a few things from reading this. I would recommend it for everyone.
Anne
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful presentation. Each two page spread shows a different eco-system with the different plants and animals that make it up. Lists it's biggest benefits and greatest threats. Broad in scope - and feel like some of it's generalities may pose some issues, however, but like this book overall.
Soraya Keiser
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was so cool! The illustrations were amazing and I learned a ton. Everyone should read this book to be exposed to so many cool different areas of our planet and how we can help the Earth continue to flourish.
Rikki Rose
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
super informative and beautiful illustrations! absolutely loved this!
Tori Shenett
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful! Love her whole series!!
A.V.
Well organized with beautiful illustrations.
Marie the Librarian
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Den har veldig mange ord og uttrykk som jeg føler ikke blir forklart godt nok? Litt rotete layout også?
Ellen
Jul 12, 2020 added it
A beautiful and overly informative book about our planet. Great for kids of all ages. Definitely a book you will never finish.
LINDA
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Illustrations and text to foster an understanding of how the world we live in is full of nature and the inherent relationships and importance of these critical systems.
Jennifer Guest
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm kind of torn about this book. I love the illustrations and the layout. The infographics mixed with retro style art are just beautiful (and informative). I love the science mixed with geography. I do NOT love the fact that the book spends SO much time on environmentalism, climate change, global warming, etc. I was also a bit annoyed with what I believe to be some inaccurate statements in the book (one example: Australia has the only egg-laying mammals - what about echidnas in Indonesia and Pa ...more
Skye Croom
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Nature Anatomy
  • Seeing Science: An Illustrated Guide to the Wonders of the Universe
  • Sulwe
  • Behind Closed Doors (DI Beatrice Stubbs, #1)
  • Timelines of Everything
  • Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop
  • Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Z muchą na luzie ćwiczymy buzie
  • An Introduction to Coastal Processes and Geomorphology
  • Klątwa pokoleń
  • The Map of Good Memories
  • Saturnin
  • The Rise and Fall of Charles Lindbergh
Rachel Ignotofsky grew up in New Jersey on a healthy diet of cartoons and pudding. She graduated with honors from Tyler School of Art’s graphic design program in 2011. Now she lives in beautiful Kansas City, Missouri, where she spends all day drawing and learning as much as she can. She has a passion for taking dense information and making it fun and accessible and is dedicated to creating educati ...more

News & Interviews