Start by marking “The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth: Understanding Our World and Its Ecosystems” as Want to Read:

An illustrated journey through the world’s ecosystems that chronicles the plants and animals that live there and explains how they–and planet Earth–work, from the New York Times best-selling author of Women in Science.

Beautifully combining art and science, The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth is an illustrated tour of the planet that reveals ecosystems large and small, fr
Published September 18th 2018 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth

John
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars may seem a little harsh, but remember that three stars means I like it.

And there is a lot to like here:
* a very consistent design scheme that communicates quite well
* a well-developed illustrative style that is clear and consistent, but also rich with personality
* a great introductory section that introduces a lot of key terms and conventions. This is one place where the book most fulfills it's promise
* great concluding sections, turning from ecosystems to broader cycles, human impa
Lian
Dec 18, 2018 rated it did not like it
Love the concept and content list of this book, as well as the layout and design. Particularly love the eco focus. I’m disappointed, though, in the inaccuracies or arguable inaccuracies. As an Australian who has spent decades researching our land and history, I was stunned at the considerable mistakes, many of them easily sourced.

First people landed in Australia 50,000 years ago.
Not true. It’s recognized as 60,000 years and more likely up to 75,000.

The lush grasslands of Australia...
I would nev
Dakota Morgan
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
The Wondrous Workings of Planet Earth is just as beautifully illustrated as Rachel Ignotofsky's previous efforts, if a little unclear on its target audience. The science is sound, but also pretty dense and text-heavy. This contrasts with the art, which is loose and colorful...and difficult to follow if you're invested in the science. I could see a younger reader loving the art, but being totally lost in the words.

That said, Ignotofsky makes a valiant effort to include plenty of fun facts, so it'
Anne
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils, dnf, ya, reviewed
I love the illustrations in this book. I was enraptured by them and spent long minutes examining each page. the text that accompanies each section is rather dense and often printed white on black pages, which I find hard to read. I love the essence of the book. I, however, cannot figure out the target audience. Teens seem to be unlikely to spend as much time as I did with each page to discover it's treasures and adults may be put off by the marketing toward young adults. I especially appreciate ...more
Emily
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beautiful, interesting illustrations and good information about ecosystems, natural cycles, and biology. The writer's clear goal was teaching children about the impact human behavior is having on the world's ecosystems, but the book is not preachy. I'm glad to see that Ignotofsky acknowledges how important fighting poverty is to saving the environment.
We cannot expect poor people to shoulder the responsibility of saving the planet when their communities are worried about providing for themselv
BiblioBickie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An beautifully illustrated encyclopedic collection of infographics and small text exploring a variety of ecosystems organized by continent. Includes overview section orienting readers to key definitions and concepts, aquatic ecosystems, cycles of nature (carbon, nitrogen, etc), and human-driven ecosystems such as farms and cities combined with human impacts on the Earth. Did not read the whole thing but would love to. Perfect for browsing as well as research; there is a lot of information packed ...more
Anne
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful presentation. Each two page spread shows a different eco-system with the different plants and animals that make it up. Lists it's biggest benefits and greatest threats. Broad in scope - and feel like some of it's generalities may pose some issues, however, but like this book overall.
LINDA
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Illustrations and text to foster an understanding of how the world we live in is full of nature and the inherent relationships and importance of these critical systems.
Julie
  • Shiokari Pass
  • The Big Book of Bugs
  • Sparkle and Spin: A Book About Words
  • Garden Design: A Book of Ideas
  • Never Home Alone: From Microbes to Millipedes, Camel Crickets, and Honeybees, the Natural History of Where We Live
  • The New American Herbal
  • The Story Garden: Cultivating Plants to Nurture Memories
  • The Birds of Heaven: Travels with Cranes
  • Thoreau and the Language of Trees
  • A Naturalist at Large: The Best Essays of Bernd Heinrich
  • Melissa Leapman's Designer Crochet: Accessories: Fresh new designs for hats, scarves, cowls, shawls, handbags, jewelry, and more
Rachel Ignotofsky grew up in New Jersey on a healthy diet of cartoons and pudding. She graduated with honors from Tyler School of Art’s graphic design program in 2011. Now she lives in beautiful Kansas City, Missouri, where she spends all day drawing and learning as much as she can. She has a passion for taking dense information and making it fun and accessible and is dedicated to creating educati ...more