Start by marking “Grow Up, David!” as Want to Read:
Grow Up, David!

Grow Up, David!

(David)

Little-brother antics have never been so endearing -- or true to life! David Shannon's beloved character in his bestselling book No, David! captures the attention and hearts of young children as few characters can. Readers relish David's exuberance, defiance, and wildly energetic curiosity, and when there's trouble, you can bet "David did it!" Now he's taunting his older b ...more
Published August 28th 2018 by The Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about Grow Up, David!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow Up, David!

Chance Lee
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-it
A picture book about brotherly rivalry (and maybe a little love, although it's light on that). David, as illustrated, has always deeply disturbed me.
Kenny
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens

Well I made it thru the four David books. I love this series. It was so much fun to read. I'm sure adults love it as much as kids since it was trip into all of our pasts. And as if David couldn’t get into trouble enough on his own, this go 'round he has a big brother to “help.”

Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
This has the same brief text and bright, talkative illustrations that the other David books have.

Unfortunately, the older brother is just mean, the typical older brother you saw in 80's and 90's sitcoms. A lot of parents may find it a bit too mean-spirited especially if they've done a good job in curtailing this kind of behavior.

This is one of those books that people will either love or hate depending on the sort of family dynamic they come from. I came from a family where the older brother's b
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yet another installment in the series chronicling the adventures of irrepressible David. Although I prefer some of the other David tales, this latest edition focuses on an experience with which many children will immediately identify.
Jana
The naughty little boy that young readers love from the award-winning David series is back. While David and his brother's antics may have grown-up readers cringing, the back and forth between siblings will have kids giggling. Anyone with a brother or sister will recognize themselves in this book, and while there is love in the end, there are some pretty brutal moments that most kids experience at some point.
Barbara
Fans of the earlier David books, including No, David! are most likely to enjoy this picture book equally. Many of them will be able to relate to David's plight. While he often brings down trouble on his own head by his own actions, sometimes he has a little help or gets in trouble because he wants to desperately to be included in his older brother's activities. David just wants to play the same games his brother is playing, but he keeps hearing that he's too little or too young to do so. Many re ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Grow Up, David! by David Shannon. PICTURE BOOK. The Blue Sky Press (Scholastic), AUGUST 2018. $18. 9781338250978

EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL

With only one phrase per spread, this book follows the format of other David books, only this time it represents the relationship between big brother and younger brother. The older brother is hard on David until he finally invites David to play football with him and we see the joy of this relationship.

This was not my favorite of all the David books, but it was fun.
Bethany
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
GROW UP, DAVID is all about having a sibling. David's brother is the typical older brother who doesn't want David playing with his stuff. He also doesn't like it when David gets him in trouble with their mom.

While siblings fight, the end of this story also reminds us the good thing about having a sibling. They're there to help teach you the ways of life, like playing ball. I love having my brother and this reminded me of the memories with him.

David Shannon does it again. He has his signature the
zapkode
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
{My thoughts} – This is the first David Book that I have had the pleasure of reading. I read it out loud to my two year old. She seemed to enjoy it well enough. She is always eager to listen to a new book and discover the story that is hidden within the pages.

This book catches the older and younger sibling dynamic perfectly. I enjoyed how spot on it is when looking at it through a young child’s eyes.

I think that any younger sibling in a family could benefit from reading this book. I think they’d
Spencer Jones
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off I don’t know why the Spanish version popped up but I did not read the Spanish version. Anyways I always loved reading the David books growing up and could relate to them because I was sort of a troublemaker growing up as well. In this book particularly I remember what it was like growing up with older brothers and always bugging them and messing around like brothers do but then also how we would make up in the end and we were still brothers. This book is contemporary realistic and is i ...more
Ina
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another fun book in the David series. It has the same sparse text and big, bright, child-like illustrations that all of the David books have. In this book we meet David’s older brother, who does the narrating, saying things like, “don’t follow me” “he hit me first” and “David did it.” This captures the big/little brother dynamic perfectly. It is laugh-out loud funny and the reader has to look very, very hard to find Fergus.
Sherrie
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a sweet reminder of the ups and downs between siblings. Although there might be disagreements at times the older siblings typically look out for the little ones when something goes wrong. Loved the colorful childlike illustrations which seemed to pop off the pages of the book. Fun and sentimental read.
Vicki
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Fans of this series will love this new addition.

I love how the author/illustrator captures true childhood moments in his books.

His brother's face is never shown in this book. I just have to say the representation of the David character kind of creeps me out, in a Pinocchio-ish way with a flat triangle nose.
Earl
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was surprised and excited that there was going to be a new David book. This one tackles the big brother little brother dynamic. While it did have its moments, the book and the series was (and maybe fittingly) starting to show its age.
Anthony
Younger brother David is always underfoot of his older brother, and being a typical pesky little brother. All David wants to do is the things his older brother does. Will he ever stop being told NO!? Only time will tell. Until then, all he ever hears is Grow up David!
Crystal Brooke
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. My daughter and i laughed and laughed and had a wonderful time reading this. I think it reminded her of herself and her older cousins. But at the end of the day everyone loves eachother. So cute.
James Bailey
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another gem in this series!
Jess
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: z_18, picture-books
David fans will love it. Brother struggles.
Kathy
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations of David have always freaked-me-out, but kids really enjoy these books. This one is about sibling rivalry. One of my storytime kids thought it was funny, so I will go with that???
Lenna
Shelves: picture-books
No longer funny.
Stephanie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Simple text about siblings older brother vs younger brother a little fighting and fun!
Kristina Jean Lareau
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Accurate.
Dana Storytime Account
I was really excited when I came in to work and found we got in a new David but I didn't really love this one as much as I've liked some of the other David books
Neha Thakkar
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Not the strongest David, but sweet and the character will be nostalgic for many.
Cassie
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
So true to life!
Benji Martin
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good addition to the No, David cannon. It sticks to the formula, but I like that moment at the end when David has been clobbered by the bigger kids playing football.
Ashlee
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love all the David books!! However, I never knew he had an older brother!
Lynn  Davidson
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
David finds being the little brother to be problematic. They squabble a lot and David is too small to do what his big brother can do, so David finds ways to annoy him. Nice ending.
Martha
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
I love the "David" books, but I'm almost afraid that this will give kids ideas for things to do to their siblings.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
David Shannon is the author and illustrator of many highly praised books for children. Born in Washington, D.C., he grew up in Spokane, Washington. He graduated from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, with a fine arts degree, and then moved to New York City. His editorial illustrations have appeared in The New York Times, Time, and Rolling Stone, and his artwork has appeared ...more

David (9 books)
  • No, David!
  • David Goes to School
  • David Gets In Trouble
  • It's Christmas, David!
  • Oh, David! A Diaper David Book
  • David Smells! A Diaper David Book: A Diaper David Book
  • Oops! A Diaper David Book
  • Shhhhh! David's Reading!