Start by marking “Robur the Conqueror (Extraordinary Voyages, #29)” as Want to Read:
Robur the Conqueror (Extraordinary Voyages, #29)

Robur the Conqueror (Extraordinary Voyages #29)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  1,224 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
They laughed at his ideas of heavier-than-air flying machines. But he had the last laugh with the Albatross -- the most incredible flying machine ever built. Lord of the skies, Robur became the would-be conqueror of the world! A fascinating companion to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Robur the Conqueror explores many of the same themes. The Wildside Press edition contains a ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Wildside Press (first published August 23rd 1886)

To ask other readers questions about Robur the Conqueror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robur the Conqueror

Pramod Nair
Robur the Conqueror, also known as The Clipper of the Clouds is a science fiction from Jules Verne written in 1886 along the similar lines of his masterpiece Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea. While ‘Twenty thousand leagues under the sea’ with its enigmatic Captain Nemo and his underwater exploits in Nautilus was an enthralling and exciting reading experience Robur the Conqueror was a less thrilling read.

This volume from Verne describes the adventures of Robur - a wannabe conqueror of the w
Manny
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
[With apologies to Monty Python]

Albatross

John Cleese: Albatross! Albatross!! Albatross!!!

Customer: Have you got any character development or memorable dialogue?

Cleese: Of course I haven't got any bloody character development or memorable dialogue, this is a bloody Jules Verne novel! But I have got an Albatross...

Customer: What flavour is it?

Cleese: It isn't any fucking flavour, it's a fucking heavier-than-air flying machine. Albatross...

Customer: But everything's got a flavour.

Cleese: Alright then, it's
Fernando
Hacía mucho tiempo que tenía ganas de leer una novela de aventuras y espontáneamente, me vinieron a la cabeza Emilio Salgari y Jules Verne. Como no tengo nada de Salgari, pero Verne fue mi gran ídolo literario de la infancia, seleccioné "Robur el Conquistador" para rememorar esas viejas épocas.
Aún recuerdo, de niño, que iba a la biblioteca de mi pueblo y en un estante, arriba del todo, estaban los grandes volúmenes con toda la obra de Verne.
Yo retiraba tres de esos libros y me los leía en los
Mike
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone

The review from afar – No. 24

Re-revised forward to these overseas reviews:
Since emulating a yo-yo, I continue to rely on the old-style Kindle 3G for any non-technical reading. I tip my hat to the fine folks at Project Gutenberg: virtually every title I have or will be reading in the near future comes from them.

Robur the Conqueror is a scientific fiction story about the inventor of a marvelous heavier-than-air craft in the time when lighter-than-airships (e.g. balloons & dirigibles) were just
Jim
Jul 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, france, scifi
This certainly is not Jules Verne's best book. Take a group of characters involved in ballooning (called aerostats in the book) and a strange Captain Nemo look-alike called Robur who has a heavier than air ship called the Albatross, which is an "aeronef," very like a sort of an elaborate helicopter.

When Philadelphia's Weldon Institute, headed up by Uncle Prudent (I kid you not) and Phil Evans have a meeting preparatory to launching a giant balloon called the "Go-Ahead," the meeting is interrupt
Luis
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Verne es mas detallado que Google Earth en esta novela.
Me ha gustado mucho.
Marley
May 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
The only positive thing I found in this book was the description of The Albatross. It's classic Jules Verne, describing in detail a flying machine years before the Wright Brothers, with a round-the-world journey in the bargain.

However, I can't review this story without pointing out the really disturbing levels of racism repeated in it. It was published in a time when you are tempted to dismiss racist language as "just a product of the time" and yet, it's not just an offensive turn of phrase here
Anfenwick
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
I disliked the racist aspect of the book which consists mostly of systematically using the African American character for comic effect. I know Verne systematically makes fun of people on the basis of their national backgrounds but we still swallow that down. I also know the Verne books were meant to be didactic. Nearly half of this one is given over to describing the earth seen from above. I'm sure it was intended as the 19th century's version of The Earth from the Air by Yann Arthus-Bertrand. I ...more
Dan
Aug 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
I like me some science fiction now and then. When I first started reading 'grown-up' books in fourth grade or so, I refused to read anything but science fiction and fantasy even. As an adult, I've lost most of my taste for it and generally am of the opinion that the majority of the vast ocean of science fiction is derivative trash.

But the truly greats, the Asimovs, the Leguins, I still love. I think it's a mistake to let yourself, whether writing or reading, be blinded by the speculative and oth
Russell
Of Verne's stories that I've read, they tend to consist of two major elements, some science fiction and a travelogue. These elements contributed to his success during his life and his continued popularity; he defined the Scientific Romance. In Robur he uses those elements and he tries his hand at another Captain Nemo, but with limited success. Robur is a genius, without a doubt, bold and daring, inventor of a fantastic means of travel, scoops up three unwilling passengers and carts them off for ...more
Murnau
Leí este libro en plena fiebre steampunk. Desde chiquitín sentí fascinación por Julio Verne, mi eterno tocayo: sus inventos adelantados a su tiempo, sus aventuras freneticas, sus personajes rebeldes y misteriosos, sus parajes de fantasía antediluviana. Si, me gustaba Julio Verne, y me he leído un buen tochete de su obra, que abarcan maravillas -su mayoria- a horrendos pastiches de si mismo.
Y, ¿Que es Robur el Conquistador? Robur es un romance científico, como gustaba llamarlas su autor, una ave
BJ Rose
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, loaned-to-me
This is a masterpiece! The Albatross is to the skies what the Nautilus in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea is to the oceans.

Jules Verne was surely a genius - in his scientific knowledge, in his imagination, in his ability to tell a great story. His words create beautiful visual pictures of the regions the Albatross flies over - what a great geography lesson! And the man had a prodigious vocabulary - words such as crepuscular (at twilight), fulginous (like lightning), phanerogam (spermatophytes -
Travis
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This collects the two books about Verne's less famous pirate of the air.
The first pretty much repeats the formula of '20,000 Leagues under sea' except this time we see the world from the air. Dry and not a ton of characterization, but fun.

The second chronicles Robur's never terribly well explained descent into madness and his plans to conquer the world. Bit more mystery and adventure, but a really unstatisfying ending.

As always, it's Verne, so worth a read, and while I like Robur, his books aren
Robert
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Robur the Conqueror is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea but without a single likable character. The would-be protagonists are whiny, stubborn, and just don't care about any of the plot happening around them. The discount Captain Nemo lacks any of the intrigue of the original, and isn't an anti-hero or a villian per se, he's just a tool.

I quite enjoy other Jules Verne books, but this one felt cheap and rushed. I like to imagine he wrote it over a weekend for booze money.
Danielle
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Si bien, No fue el mejor libro que he leído de Verne.. me parecio que hubo ciertas ideas similares de 20 000 leguas en el libro, sin embargo, para mí el mensaje es: La gente no esta preparada para los cambios tecnologicos y no es bueno querer meter el cambio a la fuerza pero se sabe el cambio y la adaptación serán necesario. "La ciencia no debe adelantarse a las costumbres; son evoluciones, no revoluciones lo que conviene hacer".
Robur el conquistador, Julio Verne.

Podemos tener un tesoro frente
R.L.
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Κριτική στα Ελληνικά πιο κάτω...

Robur the Conqueror is one of the less known novels of Jules Verne, an author who wrote an impressively large ammount of books, articles and novels. The problem here (and other works of Verne) is that while the main idea is exceptional, the actual read is less so.

There are many descriptions on the book that reflect the scientific knowledge (or assumptions) of the author's era, his unlimited curiosity to learn of foreign cultures, geography, customs, new discoverie
dragonhelmuk
Jan 26, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think I've now read 10 different Jules Verne books and I normally really like them and know what to expect. This time, for the first time, reading Robur the Conqueror I was surprised. -

In this book Jules Verne is a terrible, terrible racist.

Normally I can ignore that and just think of it as a sad artifact of the time period. I've read the first six Tarzan books and really enjoyed them. I've read a large proportion of Lovecraft and loved that. I actually read the sequel to Robur, "The Master o
Andrew Ives
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, sci-fi
Understandably not one of Verne's more famous works, but interesting enough to anyone with a vague interest in 19thC travel and early flying machines nonetheless. It does read rather like Around the World in 80 Days or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea with a new mysterious Nemo-esque protagonist, taking in a few other places along the way. It can get a bit dry at times - akin to reading a travel itinerary - as well as being rather 'Boys' Own' with lots of scientific stuff and somewhat tiresome bulli ...more
Momo
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Robur the Conqueror was an interesting take on two main theories of how a man should conquer the sky. On one hand there were ''lighter than air'' proponents, and on the other hand there were ''heavier than air'' proponents. The former believed man can only fly in balloons, while the latter believed that man can fly in machines propelled by screws.
The whole book is a fictional explanation of why the ''heavier than air'' theory is better, and that is proved by making tour of the world in one of su
Bill Bradford
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
As pointed out in other reviews, the plot is certainly less than in in other Verne novels - still, it is amazing that Verne foresaw so much of heavier than air flight. A fun read just because of this.
Lucy
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Much shorter than his more famous works, but very typical - incomprehensible science, casual racism, unbelievable characters...while I was reading this, I thought what a load of rubbish, but I've found myself downloading the sequel so there must have been something compelling about it!
Vitani Days
Steve Joyce
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review is based upon a definitive translation. I've been waiting ages for something like this to be published and have held off reading any other edition. From what I gather, all others are inferior.

Robur is not Verne's best work but still manages to get a high rating here. Said rating is only partially based upon the novel itself (which I consider a somewhat lesser work in comparison to the similarly themed and recently read The Conquest of the Air by Alphonse Brown). The book also feature
Patrick Gibson
Verne's fascination with heavier than air flying machines, about thirty years before it actually happened, is interesting. But the novel is really a set up for the sequel (Master of the World) and feels like he tossed it off as an exercise in creative writing. He loves describing things (and locations) -- particularly places he'd never been, and the distances between them. Ir's a fun novel, and a quick read. Probably for Verne fans only...
Aydın
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yine çok sürükleyici ve heyecanlı bir Jules Verne romanı. Bu sefer Denizler Altında Yirmi Bin Fersah'ın aksine gözünü denizlerin derinliklerine değil, gökyüzüne dikmiş Jules Verne. Bu kitabında Nautilus'un yerini Albatros alıyor ve aşağı yukarı aynı deneyimleri bu sefer gökyüzünde ve bu sefer daha çok karalardan bahsediyor.
Christian Chaille
A racist travelogue featuring three impossibly inflated egos, one non-inflated flying machine, and one black character who's entire purpose is to repeatedly remind the viewer of just what Verne thinks of black people.
Stelios
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars
vhatos
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Фантастичний роман про талановитого інженера-бунтівника Робура, який побудував незвичний літальний апарат. Робур літає на ньому по всьому світу, викрадає кількох учених і здійснює з ними кругосвітню подорож повну пригод... Цікаво як на 80-роки минулого століття, коли читав книгу.
Ken Doggett
Published in 1886, Robur the Conqueror tells of a competition between advocates of lighter-than-air aircraft (balloons) and advocates of heavier-than-air aircraft. Robur the Conquerer has developed the latter, and intends to show that it's much more practical than balloons. His aircraft first appears as an unexplained phenomena over several cities. When he finally goes public with his assertion, he's at first ridiculed, but then he abducts the two most influential advocates of lighter-than-air c ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Jules Vernen "Robur Valloittaja" on niitä kirjailijan tieteis- ja seikkailuromaaneja, joita en tullut lapsuudessani lukeneeksi. Muistelisin aloittaneeni kirjan, mutta keskenhän se jäi.

Hyvä pieni minä! Vuonna 1886 ensimmäisen kerran julkaistu romaani on nimittäin harvinaisen puiseva tapaus, jonka lukeminen näin aikuisenakin oli teettää tenän.

Olisin kovasti halunnut pitää kirjasta, lennetäänhän siinä sentään aikaansa edellä olevalla ja mielikuvitusta hivelevällä ilmalaivalla pitkin maailman manter
  • Doctor Syn
  • The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana
  • Gautier Récits Fantastiques
  • War of the Worlds: Global Dispatches
  • Doctor Who: Who Killed Kennedy
  • The Land Leviathan: A New Scientific Romance (Oswald Bastable, #2)
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • Honeymooners: A Cautionary Tale
  • The early Asimov or, Eleven Years of Trying
  • The Secret of Abdu El-Yezdi (Burton & Swinburne, #4)
  • Fantômas (Fantômas, #1)
  • Captain Slaughterboard Drops Anchor
  • The Fiction: Complete and Unabridged
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels Journey to the Center of the Earth (1864), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870), and Around the World in Eighty Days (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa
More about Jules Verne

Extraordinary Voyages (1 - 10 of 54 books)
  • Five Weeks in a Balloon (Extraordinary Voyages, #1)
  • The Adventures of Captain Hatteras (Extraordinary Voyages, #2)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3)
  • From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)
  • In Search of the Castaways; or the Children of Captain Grant (Extraordinary Voyages, #5)
  • Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6)
  • Round the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #7)
  • A Floating City (Extraordinary Voyages, #8)
  • Measuring a Meridian: The Adventures of Three Englishmen and Three Russians in South Africa (Extraordinary Voyages, #9)
  • The Fur Country (Extraordinary Voyages, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • Long May She Reign
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Testing (The Testing, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Emperor's Blades (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #1)
  • Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Black Company (The Chronicle of the Black Company, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1)
  • Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)