Start by marking “Right as Rain” as Want to Read:
Right as Rain

Right as Rain

From the critically acclaimed author of Just Like Jackie comes a strikingly tender novel about one family’s heartbreak and the compassion that carries them through, perfect for fans of Sara Pennypacker, Lisa Graff, and Ann M. Martin.

It’s been almost a year since Rain’s brother Guthrie died, and her parents still don’t know it was all Rain’s fault. In fact, no one does—Rain
Published February 12th 2019 by HarperCollins

Jessie_Book
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Right as Rain certainly packs a punch. I would not recommend reading this book in public. Not only will you be actually laughing out loud, but also crying and sighing and a whole bunch of other things. And non reader humans find it weird when you do that by yourself with just a book in front of you.

The main character in this book actually feels like a little girl without her being annoying. She made a lot of decision that I know I would have made when I was her age. The whole family felt entire
Kelly Hager
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book broke me multiple times. Most of us have experience with grief and it can be impossible to deal with. Now picture you're a kid and you're in a new place and your older brother is dead and it's your fault. How Rain is functioning as well as she is is an actual miracle. (And she's not doing particularly well, but she's not catatonic. She's going to her new school and she's trying and she's making friends.)

This reminds me a little bit of Bridge to Terabithia, in that it takes these horrib
Cassie Thomas
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an adult still experiencing heavy grief, this story helped. Rain is a young girl a lot of kids will relate to, but so is Frankie, Amelia, Ana, and even the adults in the book. Lindsey does an amazing job of telling a story, one that needs to be heard. She also does a great job of hitting on every single characters individuality without overdoing it. Preorder now for a February release. I promise you need this in your classrooms.
Laura Gardner
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5/5 for RIGHT AS RAIN. Thank you to author @lindseystoddardwrites and @harpercollinsch for the free copy of this book to share with #kidlitexchange. All opinions are my own.
~
JUST LIKE JACKIE was a very special read for me in 2018 so I shamelessly begged Stoddard for a copy of her newest book, RIGHT AS RAIN. I'm so glad! This is a #heartprint read for me and one of my favorite reads of 2019 so far.
~
Rain is carrying a heavy burden. She is sure her beloved older brother Guthrie's death over 35
Michele Knott
I loved Stoddard’s second book even more than her first!
Julie Kirchner
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey Stoddard has a gift with middle grade realistic fiction. Just Like Jackie is a favorite read for 2018, and so I was excited to have the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book due out in February 2019.

Rain’s family is navigating the loss of her older brother Guthrie. Her parents have dealt with their grief in opposite ways. Her mother is forging forward and starting fresh in a new city, new home, new belongings, and new job. Her dad is unable to even move through each day with
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written middle grade fiction novel that deftly deals with a young girl coping with the loss of her older brother. Nearly a year after his death Rain and her parents move from rural Vermont to New York City in a "geographical" attempt to move forward in life. As one might expect, the move is difficult on Rain. She has to adjust to a shockingly different environment, acclimate to a new school, make friends, all whilst holding on to a secret about the night of her brother's death.
Novelist Li
Bonnie Grover
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: student
As soon as I saw the author’s name, I knew I was going to like this book. I fell in love with Rain on page one. This book grabbed my heart and held it until the last page. I laughed and cried and raised my fist in triumph right along side Rain. “Memories stick best when we tell them into stories with feelings and smells and colors, we tell the story of each one.” This is a tender, compassionate novel filled with hope. I hope you read it and enjoy it as much as I did.
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A story about family, grief, friendship, community and finding your place. So many stories intricately woven into Right as Rain by LindseyStoddard! My favorite, “When you bury something deep, it grows up twice as tall.” For those kids dealing with grief, moving, family issues and just trying to navigate life, this one will resonate with them. Thank you for sharing for an honest review.
Priscilla Thomas
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Captures so beautifully what it all feels like - being 12, moving away from everything you’ve known, guilt, the weight of secrets, the magic & heartbreak of stories. What a gift Lindsey Stoddard has given readers.
Ms. Yingling
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Rain's family has experienced a tragedy-- her older brother was killed in a car accident. The mother thinks that the answer to their protracted grief is moving from a farm in Vermont to New York City, where she has taken a job in a big hospital. Rain's stay-at-home father seems to be a motivating factor behind the move, because he has been having trouble even getting out of bed in the morning. Moving to the city doesn't seem like the best idea for him, si
Keshia
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network, publisher @harpercollinsch and author @lindseystoddard for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. I love how tender this book is. I felt like I was journeying through grief right alongside Rain. After her family suffers a big loss, Rain’s mom decides to take a new job in a new state. This leaves Rain trying to figure out how to balance her sadness and guilt with the daunting task of starting at a new school and maki ...more
Tatiana
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful heartfelt book. This book gave off many emotions and full of inspiration. Has many lessons that both children and adults can take from the book. I was drawn deeper than ever into the life of the main character. The author makes the audience want to relive their childhood life. The book's main message is no matter how deep you bury something, it will sprout out one day. The main character, Rain, stood up for what she wanted and used true bravery in speaking her thoughts. One may think ...more
Alison
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this tale of two girls that are hurting in different ways and are reluctant to become friends; yet, when they do they see that healing can begin.
Darla
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A family reels from the loss of their son and decides to start over in NYC. Mom is a hustler and is moving ahead with a new job in brain research. Dad is a hider. Daughter Rain wants her family to be the one in four that stays intact despite the loss of a child. She is also a runner and she is only eleven. The new setting means lots of changes for Rain and we get to watch her navigate in an urban setting with much more racial diversity than she was used to in Vermont. I appreciated the ways adul ...more
Michelle Simpson
This is a story of hope and moving on after loss. Rain tries to deal with her own sadness and secrets as she mourns her brother’s death, while trying to be supportive of her parents who are handling their own grief in different ways. I am a huge fan of this author!
Sandy O'Brien
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Change is hard. Don’t be
Sorry. Be something great while
You are still young.”
Rain’s family is trying to figure out how to continue life without their oldest son Guthrie. Her mom wants to move to a new city and start fresh, while her dad is struggling to get out of bed each morning.

Rain is dealing with struggles of her own...
Her parents not getting along.
The guilt of “that night”.
Trying to fit in at a new school.
Navigating the big city.

Follow along as Rain’s family searches for their new normal
Ms Threlkeld
Beautifully written story about grief, family, friendship, running and poetry.
Mandy Stallard
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookposse
Rain's older brother passed away nearly a year ago, and her family has tried to bury their grief down deep. Her father barely gets out of bed, and her mother is always rushing around somewhere so she doesn't have time to think about her loss. Rain's mom decides they all need a fresh start in a new city miles away from where they were once a family of four. Rain knows that only one out of four marriages survive the death of a child. She's a numbers person; those aren't good odds, and "that's a fa ...more
Jennifer Guyor Jowett
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey Stoddard writes the most extraordinary characters. I was drawn to Rain in Right As Rain wholeheartedly. I didn't think I could love a character more than Robbie in Just Like Jackie (for her spunk and determination), but Rain has heart and soul, kindness and spirit, empathy and drive. This book will plant itself deep into your own heart.
Beth Bryden-miller
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fish out of water story that starts with Rain moving from a small town in Vermont to Hamilton Heights in New York City. Rain struggles with her parents' reaction of mourning her brother, what she perceives as her roles in Guthrie's death, and fitting in her new neighborhood and school. What is slowly built is a community that cares about everyone. The author does a great job of not shying away from Rain's reaction to differences: the fact that she is one of the only white kids in her neighborh ...more
Tory
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, middle-years
Laurie
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. This quote from Wendy Mass popped into my head as I read about Rain and her friends, Frankie and Amelia. Lindsey Stoddard masterfully wove the story of each girl and their struggles into her second middle grade novel, Right as Rain. You will find yourself cheering for all three of them as they run track, forge friendships, save their neighborhood and themselves! Rain and her friends demonstrate the power of empathy, kind ...more
caitlin
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss. Pretty good “fish out of water” middle grade story about a middle schooler coping with her brother’s death who moves from Vermont to Washington Heights. The book also uncovers the mystery of her brother’s death while showing what’s happening to her in the present. Will add to my “maybe purchase” pile.
Jacki
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Rain’s family is trying to recover from the accidental death of Rain’s older brother. The story is all about starting again and learning to keep her brother’s memory alive. Healthy model for recovery.
Jess
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book about Rain, a girl forced to move as her family deals with tragedy. As a character, she was believable and endearing. I loved seeing her embrace her new community. This book would be great for any upper elementary or middle school classroom or school library.
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
E-ARC from Edelweiss Plus
Karina
Nov 12, 2018
Melanie Crowder
Nov 24, 2018
Kristen Picone
Jan 06, 2019
I was born and raised in Vermont where I began my love for reading and writing in local libraries and independent bookstores. My parents always like to remind me how well behaved I was growing up, EXCEPT in bookstores. I would run and hide between the shelves because I wanted to live there! I still kinda do... :) I moved to New York City after college and taught middle school English for 10 years ...more