Start by marking “Poppy and Sam and the Leaf Thief” as Want to Read:
Poppy and Sam and the Leaf Thief

Poppy and Sam and the Leaf Thief

It's a beautiful day in the garden when Poppy and her panda friend, Sam, hear a commotion. Their friend Basil--who has always been known for his elegance--is in tears, because somebody nibbled his leaves last night!

Poppy puts her detective skills to work, with help from Sam, and together they set out to find the culprit. They start by interviewing the insects, but Ms. Hone
Published August 15th 2018 by Owlkids

To ask other readers questions about Poppy and Sam and the Leaf Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poppy and Sam and the Leaf Thief

Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a great little graphic novel mystery for young readers. Poppy, who lives in a pumpkin, and her friend Sam, who lives in a butternut squash, are trying to help Basil. When she sleeps at night, someone is biting her leaves. The illustrations are really cute! The problem solving sets a good example for children. I think Poppy and Sam would make a cute series. This would be a great book for a classroom, school or public library. The publisher, Owlkids Books, generously provided me with a cop ...more
Molly
The most important thing I can say about this book is that it features a drawing of an earwig that is downright ADORABLE. Earwigs are not adorable, and yet this book manages to present one that I sort of want to hug. It's an impressive feat. Cute book, too.

I received access to this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Deanna (Deanna Reads Books)
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on my review blog Deanna Reads Books

I don't read a lot of children's book mostly because I'm an adult without any children so I don't really have a need for it. I was browsing Netgalley's catalog for comics and thought this one looked really cute so I requested it. It was definitely a really quick book to read through, which makes sense since it is geared towards children, but I found it so cute!

The book is about Poppy a little girl, no quite literally little b
Wayne McCoy
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Poppy and Same and the Leaf Thief' with story and art by Cathon is a fun graphic novel for young readers.

Poppy and her panda bear friend, Sam live in a garden and are the same size as the bugs in the garden. Their friend Basil, the basil plant, has had someone munching on its leaves. Poppy and Sam are on the case! They start interviewing the various bugs in the garden like the bees, ladybugs, and other creatures. They try to catch the leaf thief in the act, and even set traps. What they discove
Cat
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Little ones will love solving this mystery of who is eating Basil's leaves. The illustrations are really cute! Poppy looks like a little girl who lives in a pumpkin with her panda, Sam. I don't if it is, but it should be a series! Cute illustrations!
Megan
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so cute, it hurts my guts to just look at the illustrations. All jokes aside, this is a sweet book and best of all, it's a mystery! It reminds me of a "WHO DUNNIT" kinda story but there are no dead bodies and it's up to us to find out who's been nibbling on the basil leaves...!
Miss Sarah
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Poppy & Sam are waiting for their strawberries to be ready to pick when they stumble onto a mystery of whose eating the basil plants leaves. Can they find the theif? Cute. Elementary and up. Told in speech bubbles.
Candace
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books, netgalley, own
This is an adorably illustrated book with a great cast of characters both plants and insects. I think children would really get a kick out of this book that leaves me reminscient of my childhood favorite, The Smurfs. Someone has been eating Basil’s leaves and Poppy is going to figure out who!
Francis Thibeault
J'admire le travail de Cathon, mais cet album, que je considère quand même comme original, m'a un peu perturbé. J'ai trouvé le récit trop facile. C'est peut-être ce qui m'a tué à la lecture. Par contre, les personnages sont attachants et remplis de surprises.
Kend
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This sweet little book follows the progress of Poppy and Sam—that is, a girl and her panda—as they hunt for the nefarious leaf thief who is destroying their friend the basil plant's beautiful leaves. Put simply, this is a book with a lot to offer for the easy reader crowd (those kids who are at the transition point between being read to and reading independently): the illustrations are sweet and whimsical, the step-by-step process of interviewing their friends offers useful repetition on key phr ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Poppy & Sam and the Leaf Thief by Cathon. PICTURE BOOK. Owlkids Books, 2018. $17. 9781771473293

BUYING ADVISORY: EL(K-3), EL-ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: EL(K-3), EL-AVERAGE

Poppy and Sam are hanging out in the garden where they live when they hear cries of distress from Basil--someone has nibbled on his leaves! To find the culprit, Poppy & Sam interview a number of insect suspects, try to stay up all night to catch the thief redhanded (FAIL), and eventually set a variety of traps to find the
Alice Albarda
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first I wondered which plants you were allowed to eat and which ones were sentient. Strawberries = food but Basil = friend. Then it turns out that you are allowed to eat your friends as long as you ask first! I am unsettled.
...
Ok, that's just me being weird. This book is actually gorgeous! I love Cathon's approach to graphic novels for young readers. It feela like a good blend of picture book illustrations and graphic novel dialogue. The character designs are so cute! They feel sort of old-ti
Ann Santori
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
ADORABLE, soft illustrations that really create the texture of a world you want to dive into even in such a short amount of time/space. Good, low-stakes mystery plot for early readers, and a sweetness that makes it great to add to an all-ages graphic novel collection for readers who enjoy cozy, slow-paced graphics.
Ms.Gaye
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Poppy, a clever minature girl and Sam, her mini-panda sidekick, solve the mystery of who is eating Basil's leaves. The suspenseful story with its sweet expressive creatures is sure to be popular with preschoolers. The appealing imagery and simple graphic novel format, with only one to four panels per page, make it well-designed for new readers, although the vocabulary is quite complex. Ages 3-7.
Nicole
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute little graphic novel, and nice little detective work. The culprit isn't a surprise if you know your insects. It has a nice little lesson on being honest and asking for what you want instead of just taking. Because things freely given are always better.
Kim
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Libraries differ on where this book is shelved. Some call it a picture book, but others call it a graphic novel. An adorable mystery where Poppy & Sam have to figure out who is eating Basil's leaves. Good for one on one discussion. I don't think that it will work as a read aloud.
Pam
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A wonderful new graphic novel easy reader. Cute little bugs and adorable girl (Poppy) solve a mini mystery. Fabulous inside look at a typical garden.
Turrean
A sweet little detective tale, with an amusingly clever trap for the culprit. Nice for a one-to-one read for a small investigator.
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: youth
Coming soon..
Nedra Isenberg
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
A nice introduction to a graphic novel style story. It also has some good lessons for young and old readers.
Lindsey
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
A great intro to graphics to early readers.
Laura Molinario
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Picture Book
Lucy Elaine
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cathon's cute cartoon style is super endearing and the story is super cute!
Yentl
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
There's trouble in the garden and Poppy & Sam are on the case! This book was very cute and I really liked the illustrations.
Theresa Lively
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book.
Hamster
Cute art. Horrible everything else.
Rachelle
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is perfect for that special little detective in your life. It can also help introduce kids to gardening and insects. Great for classrooms or cracking the case at home!
Hannahlily
Sep 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • New Shoes
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Owly  Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • The Great Big Boom (HiLo, #3)
  • Dragon and Captain
  • Short Stories for Little Monsters
  • Good Night, Planet
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Olga and the Smelly Thing from Nowhere (Olga, #1)
  • Little Lit: It Was a Dark and Silly Night...
  • Bunnies!!!
  • The Adventures of Polo
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • Clan Apis