Start by marking “Sloth at the Zoom” as Want to Read:
Sloth at the Zoom

Sloth at the Zoom

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  107 ratings  ·  47 reviews
One day, a sloth accidentally gets delivered to the Zoom! She was supposed to be dropped off at the Zzzzzoo, a much more laid-back, slow-paced place. She had been looking forward to long, languorous naps while the sun gently warmed her belly. But at the Zoom, the zebras gallop so fast they leave their stripes in puddles. The monkeys climb so fast they forget to stop at the ...more
Published August 15th 2018 by Owlkids

To ask other readers questions about Sloth at the Zoom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sloth at the Zoom

Jane
Sloth at the Zoom is the story of a sloth who thought she was headed to the Zzzzzzoo but ended up being accidentally delivered to the Zoom!

When she arrives, it takes her a while to get settled (what with being a sloth and all), but then she's ready to make some friends. Unfortunately, all of the other animals at the Zoom are a bit zoomier than the sloth and so she struggles to make any connections.

Eventually, she does find a new friend who is more her speed and they settle in to have a snack
Rachael  Fryman
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Maybe I'm reading too much into this adorable picture book, but this is a great lesson for readers of all ages: slow down and enjoy life! I loved Sloth and the idea of the Zoom becoming the Zzzoo. I also enjoyed the rustic art style. This would be perfect for a story time with early elementary students!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The Zoom is like a zoo, but everything moves at top speed and has no time to stop and relax, that is until the sloth shows up. I love the way this book is written with speech bubbles. When the sloth talks, his sentence is broken up into several bubbles because he is so slow. The illustrations are wonderful showing movement and characteristics of some of the animals. When sloth wants to make a friend, the only thing that is slow enough for him is the snail, that is until the other animals realize ...more
Michelle Bearss
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a great little book about a sloth trying to make friends at the too fast Zoom. The drawings are great and I love how the speech bubbles are separate to show that you should be reading the words of the sloth slower. This is a great book to teach children to slow down and enjoy life and making new friends. Recommended. 4🌟

(Thanks to NetGalley for this ebook in exchange for an honest review.)
Alicia
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to review.

Sloth is looking forward to a slow and sleepy stay at the zoo. However at the zoom all the animals are fast and always busy. That is until she meets snail. MY four year old loved this book and so did I. The story line was adorable and the illustrations are beautiful.
Ryan
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a lovely story. A Sloth thought she was heading to the Zzzzoo and instead ended up at the Zoom. A zoo for very fast animals. At first the sloth had a hard time fitting in. But all it takes is one friend to start a posse. A fun story with lovely illustrations.
Molly
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A sloth is supposed to go to the zoo, but instead finds herself at the much too fast-paced Zoom, where everyone is just too busy to greet her or make friends - that is, almost everyone. A snail (metaphorically) extends his hand so the two can share a leaf and a nice chat. The book ends on a nice, subtle suggestion that we could all stand to slow down a little.

I received access to this title via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Garrett
This book is about me this entire week at work.
Storywraps
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This delightful book will have both young and old reflecting on their own life-style. A sloth is delivered to the Zoom and not to the Zzzzzoo where she was intended to be taken.

Once planted she discovers that every animal there is in a hurry and doesn't have time to engage with each other... barely time for a short greeting... them off they zoom again.

“The monkeys climbed so fast they forgot to stop at the treetops. / And the parrots flew so fast their tails drew rainbows across the sky.

Resig
Becky

First sentence: One bright day, a truck whizzed up to the front gate of the Zoom. There was a new animal being delivered. It was a sloth.

Premise/plot: The sloth was supposed to be delivered to the Zzzzoo. Instead the sloth is delivered to the ZOOM. She was looking forward to all the REST and RELAXATION promised to her at the Zzzzoo. She'll have some adapting to do. Her animal neighbors at the Zoom are....well, zoom-y.

At the Zoom, the zebras galloped so fast they left their stripes in puddles.
T
Becky B
Sloth’s delivery gets mixed up and instead of going to the Zzzzoo, she arrives at the Zoom to discover the pace is quite different from a Zzzzoo. Everyone is going, going, going. Sloth tries to be friendly but it seems no one has time to slow down. But then one day, Sloth finds someone else at the Zoom who takes life at a slower pace.

This is a delightfully illustrated story about finding a good friend. You can also read into it messages about slowing down for others rather than being constantly
Christine,
The zoo is adopting a new animal, Sloth, and she is quite the sweetie pie. Adorable and one to take her time, Sloth is excited to meet new friends. Exiting with a yawn and a stretch, Sloth watches as all of her new housemates roam around the zoo.

However, this not just any zoo; this is the Zoooooom. As you can imagine with total cuteness, these animals are on the go. In fact, the zebras run so fast that they loose their stripes. The parrots are so quick in the sky that they leave trails of rainbo
Rebecca
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Full disclosure: I love sloths. I have a sloth stuffed animal collection. I have sloth socks. Even my roller derby name is Sloth. So naturally, I loved this book. The illustrations are really cute and vibrant. I feel like the illustrator did a good job of capturing each animal.

The premise of the book is funny and clever. A type of jungle fish-out-of-water story. I especially enjoyed the descriptions of the animals zooming around--the zebras run so fast that their stripes fly off!

I think kids an
Robin
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I had some unanswered questions, but overall a good picture book that reads aloud well (although that conversation between the sloth and the snail takes quite a long time if you have committed to appropriately paced voices). Fun for everyone, but especially those who move at their own pace. Recommended for ages 4-7.
Ms. Arca
Love the concept. It seemed like the formatting isn’t quite done yet so it’s hard for me to give it a formal review. I like the idea of a book that reminds kids to slow down. I could see this being a sweet all-class read aloud in elementary classrooms as an entry point to talking about how we calm ourselves, how we slow down, and how we incorporate that buzz-word ‘mindfulness’ into our lives.
Cat
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty funny little book! I loved the illustrations of scurrying critters and the sloooooowwww sloth! I think little kids will enjoy this tale as much as a early grade schoolers (who will likely get the joke). Parents will enjoy reading this too the littles and explaining the various animals to them.

I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Patricia
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is a cute story about a sloth - what's not to like? It also reminds us that sometimes it's a good idea to slow down a bit and enjoy your day, rather than rushing and bustling around all the time.
Bmack
This is an adorable book about a sloth who thinks he is going to the zoo but ends up at the Zoom where everyone is running around with no time to get to know her. Finally the sloth meets someone more her speed and the other animals notice that it is nice to slow down and spend time with others.
Zoe Elizabeth
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was a cute kids book about the virtue of not living life to fast. I almost wonder if the author intended the message more for the parents of the book than for the children!

Thanks to Netgalley for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Jami
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, animals, children
Everyone at the zoo, the sloth's new home, is busy busy busy. Finally the sloth meets a friend more their pace and inspires the rest of the zoo occupants to slow down and take a break.
Wendy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
What kind of friends will sloth make at his new home in the Zoom? Cute illustrations.
Cornmaven
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice little story about a sloth who teaches all of the busy busy animals to slow down and enjoy life.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A super funny book about a sloth who is a lot slower than the other animals. Then he makes friends with a snail.
Gabrielle Carolina
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I think the concept was brilliant, but the world-building, which was central to the plot, lacked. I don't understand what the Zoom was supposed to be.
Cathy Mealey
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five star sloth story - excellent
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
I LOVE sloths, and this cute book is definitely storytime-worthy!
Kelly
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable story. The text is laid out in such a way as to capture the slowness of the sloth. Very neat.
Amy Nicole
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
After a mix-up in which Sloth gets delivered to the Zoom instead of the Zzzzzzzoo, Sloth must learn how to make friends with a group of animals that seem to be completely different from her. When she meets snail, that all changes.

This was cute and the character voices would make for a great read aloud. The takeaway message was about slowly down and enjoying life, but I would have liked the themes to focus a bit more on the friendships of the story. Overall, a very cute read.

I received a copy of
Juli
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

A sloth gets delivered to the zoom rather to the zoo. The zoom is a place where every animal is fast and in a hurry. Sloth is trying to make friends but no one has time to get to know her until she meets Snail. Their friendship blossoms (slowly!) and eventually the other animals notice and decide to join them and finally take a break.

The story is darling. The illustra
Sarah Furan
Nov 15, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Helaine Becker has written over 70 books, including the #1 National bestseller, A Porcupine in a Pine Tree,and its sequel, Dashing through the Snow, Sloth at the Zoom, Dirk Daring, Secret Agent, the Looney Bay All-Stars chapter book series, non-fiction including Counting on Katherine, Worms for Breakfast and Zoobots (all Junior Library Guild Selections), Monster Science, You Can Read, Lines Bars a ...more