Start by marking “Vanishing Twins: A Marriage” as Want to Read:
Vanishing Twins: A Marriage

Vanishing Twins: A Marriage

"It's like we're the same person. We finish each other's sentences. This is what we've been taught to desire and expect of love. But there's a question underneath that's never addressed: Once you find someone to finish your sentences, do you stop finishing them for yourself?"

As long as she can remember, Leah has had the mysterious feeling that she's searching for a twin—th
Published September 4th 2018 by Soft Skull Press

To ask other readers questions about Vanishing Twins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanishing Twins

Start your review of Vanishing Twins: A Marriage
Hannah
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction, arc
Vanishing Twins is a memoir about a marriage – but it is also so much more. It is an exploration of identity and gender, of growing up and finding oneself, of culture and literature, of ballet and advertising. I adored this.

Leah Dieterich frames her story both in ballet and in the science of vanishing twins, using metaphors and literary analysis to construct a picture of her twenties and her marriage. She meets her husband Eric fairly young and gets married to him at an age where most people are
Diane S ☔
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 thoughts soon.
Jyoti
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Actually 3.5 Stars ...

The promise of this book checked all of the boxes: great independent publisher, woman, fragments, memoir, open relationship, metaphor. However, even though I devoured it (fragments make a quick read) there was something nagging at me the whole time I read it, and it did not really dawn on me until the end.

First off, the writing is smart and there are some dazzling places, fit for highlighting with their deep insight and metaphor. But this book did not need to be fragmented.
Kevin
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leah Dieterich weaves a few different themes through her memoir but the strongest threads that make Vanishing Twins a remarkable reading experience are the ones about her marriage. The flow of fragmented ruminations and life stories boldly push the emotional envelope of love and trust. Sometimes when you read essays or memoirs about someone's lovelife, their heart seems small and delicate, but here, in these dazzling pages, Dieterich's heart feels large, expanding, and brave.
Em
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started to read this book months ago, but it wasn’t the right time, so I stopped and read some other things. Looking at the dates on Goodreads, I realized I returned to it exactly three months after I started it. The timing was perfect. I found myself open and emotional, crying at certain parts and marveling at the deftness with which Leah Dieterich makes connections and choreographs metaphors. I would like to write a book like this someday.
Kris
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
If my whole review of this book could just be a shrug, that would about cover it. Look, this is well-written, and of course, we all have stories to tell. For me, the fragmented little chapters worked because the author is super fragmented. She has no idea who she is or who she wants to be. I read an entire book about her, and I still don't know. She came across as, if not exactly spoiled, then clueless about how her life is extremely privileged. The extended metaphor of the twin thing really did ...more
David Gerrard
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A masterclass in subtle, layered, beautiful prose that also tells a riveting, unconventional love story
Zac Smith
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautifully written. gripping, intense, with a strong narrative. strong essay elements, citations, summaries, definitions. huge emphasis on linguistic ambiguity, wordplay, language. ballet, sex, biology, architecture. it's an incredible story. i can't imagine writing it, let alone so writing it so well. i just tore through this. love the short short chapters. love the themes. read this book. read it.
Edina Paljevic
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did not enter this book knowing much about what it would be like or who the author is. I did not even hear any reviews on it before hand. I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. This book discusses identity and gender as well as women's hardships. Her memoir discusses love within a marriage and the hardships that occur throughout it. I myself am not married but by reading about her marriage, I felt like I learnt a lot. This book ended up being stuck in my head for the next fe ...more
Julia Sherman
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for anyone who has, will be or is currently in a romantic relationship. It's a timely look at the dynamic of coupledom, one that I found fascinating, and relatable.
Callie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for memoir. But then, I'm usually disappointed by them. In order to pull off a memoir, you've got to be highly intelligent and generous. You have to make it about the reader, not you. I would say that most who write memoirs can't do this. The only ones who can are great novelists, ironically, or perhaps logically.

I give this one 2 and a half stars b/c it wasn't terrible. I did feel the whole twin metaphor was a bit of a stretch at times. She seemed to be reaching, reaching to find
Dianah
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Leah Dieterich lays all of her insecurities and uncertainties excrutiatingly bare in the excavation of her marriage. Using compelling prose, she peels back the surface of everything, and it is mesmerizing; she digs until she understands what she feels, what she wants, and why she wants it. Exploring open marriage, bisexuality, honesty, and fear, this is a eye-opening dissertation on love, desire, commitment, and human nature -- and Dieterich holds nothing back in the mining of her life.
Chris Roberts
Aug 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
A married couple are stoney mouth,
I counted two words passed at their dinner party.

Why bother?

Same-game marital-scape, after five years, exit stage left, escape,
easy-smooth divorce, have her/his infidelity on tape.

#poem

Chris Roberts, God of Simultaneous Time
Alicia
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed how this was written. Little bits and pieces of the story all tying together. *received ARC from book giveaway*
Krystina
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this memoir. I read the first 70 pages, expecting not to like it, in front of its shelf at the bookstore. I felt like the clerk kept giving me the “just buy it already” eyes, so I did. I read the rest of it curled up in bed that night.

The author feels incomplete. That she must have had a twin in the womb that vanished and now she needs to seek this twinness in others. She finds a twin in her childhood friend, in her office companion, in her husband, and the androgynous women
Eblison
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's refreshing to read a memoir as real as this one. I always feel like authors polish up the best parts and skate over the tarnish. Not Dieterich. She gives us such an honest narrative. This book is brilliant. It has me wondering if maybe I have a twin somewhere.
Chelsea Bieker
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this memoir--Dieterich offers a meditation on so many things--twinship, love, sex, bodies, place, art and more. Told in beautiful sparse prose, the vignettes come together to create such a sure narrative of a loving marriage that feels wholly surprising and tantalizing. Think Maggie Nelson, Sarah Manguso and Joan Didion mixed with Dieterich's original energy. This is a book I wanted to savor, but instead read feverishly in about two sittings. This book has really stayed with me.
Clancy
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking!
Uriel Perez
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
'Vanishing Twins' compounds snapshots of dance, the twin-ness of life, and unspoken desires to reap a startling meditation on love's dissolution and rediscovery.

Leah Dietrich's writing feels true and utterly vulnerable; the story she shares, of the dive into an open marriage with her husband of nearly a decade, is plagued with doubt, specters of shame and existential terror. The emotional whirlwind of this book cuts deep. And remarkably, it is the most uplifting thing I've read in a long time.
Clara Johnson
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Leah's voice is artful and unfolds the complexity of desire in surprising ways. She is deft in her juxtapositions of love and movement and creates space for exploration through her storytelling.
Pam Mooney
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable book that will certainly have a different meaning for every reader. I found the vanishing twin theme the most intriguing as I have had some of the same feelings. Although it
reads like a novel it is a memoir that is truly written from the heart and documents a search for a life style that fits and offers comfort. It feels honest and vulnerable and quite off the norm as the author works through her personal and professional relationships. The dance references add a bit of insight to t
Gabe
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautiful read. both the style and content, together, really capture something subtle & elusive about our inner narrative—its inscrutability, maybe? highly recommend. ...more
Daisy
Original. And smart. And brave.
Jessica Herman
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved and devoured this book. Leah's writing is brilliant--the way she describes so honestly the tensions and contradictions in partnering with friends and lovers, the layers of meaning she uncovers in language and imagery, her own story that is nothing short of completely captivating. I couldn't recommend this book highly enough.
Julie
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
the first 70 pages were hard for me to connect with the larger picture. but then the later half of the book blew me away. her words are are poetic, precise, probing about the human nature of marriage, relationships, and love. can't wait to read more from her.
Aja Gabel
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the hell out of this book. Propulsive, beautiful fragments about what it means to merge yourself with people, how intimacy demands loss, how to rewrite yourself out of traditional narratives of love. I devoured this.
Drew
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A stunning memoir; Dieterich's journey with her identity, sexuality and relationships with others paints a portrait that I felt connected to. I expected to read a narrative of one's marriage, but it was so much more: an education on ballet, vanishing twins, and pursuing answers even when you're unsure of the question. I'm thankful this piece of literature exists!
Laurie
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like a fever dream. I kept reading hoping for what, I don't know. I didn't like her; I didn't like him. I didn't like any of the characters. Nevertheless, a somewhat compelling, and easy-ish read, lots of white space. the author obviously knows how to write, but I ultimately was unsatisfied. I won a copy from Shelf Awareness.
Michelle
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I did not realize that this was a memoir until this very moment. I completely devoured this book.. I loved the way seemingly unrelated topics and ideas were intertwined in such a thoughtful and rational way. Each little paragraph is like a perfect little nugget of loveliness.
Sabrina
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A raw, honest take on a subject that isn't talked about enough. So compelling and beautifully written that I devoured it in one sitting. I admire anyone who is willing and able to share their truth the way Leah does in Vanishing Twins.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Black Light
  • The Book of X
  • King of Joy
  • Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls
  • Many Love: A Memoir of Polyamory and Finding Love(s)
  • Hollywood's Eve: Eve Babitz and the Secret History of L.A.
  • Amateur: A True Story About What Makes a Man
  • Indelicacy
  • Pretend We Live Here
  • Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations
  • Imaginary Museums
  • The Crying Book
  • I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays
  • Slow Days, Fast Company: The World, the Flesh, and L.A.: Tales

Leah Dieterich is the author of Vanishing Twins: A Marriage (Soft Skull 2018.) Her essays and short fiction have been published by Lenny Letter, Lithub, Buzzfeed, Bomb magazine, and more. She is also the author of a book of thank-you notes, thxthxthx: thank goodness for everything. She lives in Portland, Oregon.