Start by marking “Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness” as Want to Read:
Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness

Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness

In his exciting and original view of the universe, Itzhak Bentov has provided a new perspective on human consciousness and its limitless possibilities. Widely known and loved for his delightful humor and imagination, Bentov explains the familiar world of phenomena with perceptions that are as lucid as they are thrilling. He gives us a provocative picture of ourselves in an ...more
Published February 1st 1988 by Destiny Books (first published May 18th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Stalking the Wild Pendulum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalking the Wild Pendulum

Start your review of Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness
Koshin
Jun 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amateur philosophers

I picked up this book after reading about the authors bio on wikipedia. I found the ideas fascinating as the author tries to construct a model of the metaphysical world using concepts already known in physics. There is very little in the way of formulas or proofs and he has very good analogies that try to relate concepts on a metaphysical level with real world examples. Some people have problems with his approach and would chastise the work as lacking in scientific rigor. I found the book entert
João Mendes
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book on the nature of consciousness and the universe, Stalking The Wild Pendulum is a masterpiece.

Itzhak Bentov weaves together diverse subjects including, physics, cosmology, subtle energy, and spirituality to deliver a groundbreaking book that has become a reference for all those who seek to understand the self and the universe.

With a Forward by the word-class physicist, Dr. William A. Tiller, Professor Emeritus of Materials Science and Engineering at Stanford University, Stalking
Jeanne
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: energymedicine
This is by far the clearest discussion of quantum theory I have read to date. Few people seem to have a speaking grasp of quantum physics and its implications. This book could change that.

In his chapter, "A Morse Code of Action and Rest," Bentov explains the movement and rest phases of a pendulum in such a way that it is clear to me how we can enter altered or parallel states of reality at the zero point. This fits with what I read in The Power of Now, and the Tobias channels of the Crimson Cir
Erin Mcleod
A provocative must-read for anyone looking to take in contemporary theoretical perspectives on the intersection between quantum physics and human consciousness. The first four chapters are quite demanding science reading for the novice, however well worth the effort. Bentov forms a coherent theory following the laying this groundwork, one that places human consciousness on a continuum with light and sound, and consists of a pendulum movement, like the swinging arm of a grandfather clock. Like th ...more
Karlo Žamić
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author presents a model of the universe that combines modern scientific thought with spiritual insight. He does so with great clarity, slashing through theory of relativity, big bang theory and quantum mechanics, presenting it to the reader in a coherent manner. He includes a great scope of paranormal phenomena, modern spiritual and traditional insight. I would recommend this book to intermediate or advanced spiritual seekers interested in aligning their beliefs with scientific accomplishments. ...more
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best simple manual on quantum consciousness.
Ilham zaitouni
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
if there's one idea to contemplate and never forget after reading this book for me is this one: The Nothing the zero point is pure potential for all realities possibilities choices...
Tarwin
Jul 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: used-to-own
I read this book as a teenager, after seeing it on my father's shelf since I was a kid. We'd discussed science, and my father had tried to explain quantum science to me, or at least the little be understood. So when I started reading this book I was excited.

Sadly it's just another 70s book that takes a mild understanding of quantum physics and turns it into a massive misunderstanding of the how the world works. Making the authors god-of-the-cracks the quantum world.

The biggest disservice this bo
Greggie
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any critical thinker or seeking mind.

The ideas and theories in this book are fascinating and incredibly well explained . Definitely something to read-ponder on - and come back to and I think for (my limited comprehension) it will take a couple of reads to fully grasp all the concepts that Bentov presents.
Having said that it’s the first book that has made me believe I somewhat understand quantum physics 😆
Nathan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As mentioned by other reviewers, the beginning the best part.

I think Bentov gets carried away in the latter section of the book but still is on to something.

With some refinement, this could have been a mind-blowing book.
Ramiro Mendes
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read! Brilliant work!

Tom Stroh
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need to re-read this.
Meta Vashti
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just want to re-read the whole thing again. Great way of explaining things that might be difficult to explain.
Anukool
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most fascinating books on Consciousness, and many of the ideas in are part of panpsychism research today.
Joel
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bit dated in some areas, but still an excellent look at the mechanics of consciousness by an engineer who was also a dedicated meditator.
Sandy
Apr 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knuckle head noetics
approx. 12,000 hits on Google. Basic premise is taking early thoughts on sympathetic vibration (string theory?) to a metaphysical level. He proclaims our entire existence is subconsciously experienced as swinging back and forth between the time we are individuals and the time when we "are part of the thing that is everything" (sort of like the Matrix only benign)

Knowledge and phenomena exist in "the everything" as big bubbles or concentrations. Great geniuses of all kinds tap in and bring back
Lage von Dissen
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Bentov certainly has a prolific imagination, and this book does a decent job of giving us a taste. He points out many rhythms, cycles, and patterns in nature, and how conscious beings are a part of (and how they have altered) those attributes. He discusses quantity vs. quality of consciousness, the psyche, and some ideas concerning our spiritual nature. He discusses temporal properties, cosmology (potential origin and cycles of the universe), etc. Needless to say, he covers quite a range of topi ...more
Debra Brunk
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the most interesting and most creative/different book I've read in a long time. It was refreshing to read something so different. The author sets out to show the relationship between quantum physics and consciousness, existence and creation of the galaxy(ies). It's very technical, abstract stuff, but the author does an amazing job of explaining it via diagrams and easy-to-relate-to analogies. He steps the reader through his hypotheses in a logical way, despite the hugeness of what ...more
Sean
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Relying on barely any external references, this book presents an alternative view of the universe. I intend to read it again, as I am doing with The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations Behind the 2012 Prophecies here, as I think them excellent compliments to each other, and I don't recall if it's completely accurate that the book doesn't use many external references. ...more
Nicholas
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This book to me trod the line between modern physics and occult philosophy.It is very clear concise and readable,though the diagrams could have been better.
Too often books on these subjects plunge headlong into the abyss of mysticism,faith healing and ranting Utopian ideals,this however is a much more serious effort at explaining the mechanics of consciousness.It is an enlightening book in my opinion.
Jacob Fure
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are curious at all about consciousness READ THIS BOOK.

It is very easy to understand, he doesn't use any complex language or terminology and utilizes pictures and diagrams really well so that you understand what he is talking about.

This information is not taught in schools and is somewhat counter to they way our culture views things.

You definitely need an open mind to read this book or else it will leave you open minded.

THIS BOOK COMPLETELY CHANGED HOW I SAW THE WORLD.
Michelle
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Dan
This is a heavy book. This book is very technical but the author does a great job of drawing diagrams and explaining things simply so that you can understand it. His insights into consciousness are extremely deep and well thought out. He does a great job proving his theories. I think everyone should read this book.
Feydras
Jul 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book helped shape my understanding of the structure of the universe and space/time. I read it years ago and don't know if the physics stand up. I'm told they certainly don't. But some of the ideas are brilliant.
Christine Allen
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who identify with eastern philosophies
The beginning was the best part. He starts to speculate toward the middle and some of his ideas are kind of a stretch of the imagination, but the concepts are interesting. There were a few mistakes, but I still liked it overall.
Arthur
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A shockingly exhaustive cosmovision from a visionary autodidact who holds your hand from basic wave mechanics to the ramifications of spacetime as continuous while offering pointers on how to experience such truths immediately through contemplation.
M.E. Neidhardt
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is fascinating. It's not really about dowsing with a pendulum, as you might think by the cover. It's about the many different levels of consciousness, realities, time and space and how we could all have the ability to learn to interact with them if we open our minds.
Jim
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remember being impressed when I read this book many years ago. Unfortunately, I've lost my paperback copy, so can't reread and evaluate it from an older, more mature(?) perspective. And I don't plan on buying the book unless I run across a copy at a used book store.
Flan
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Found this in a used bookstore and really enjoyed it. The physics of how our brain and body works understood and explained by a layman.
Mike mcghee
Apr 14, 2008 rated it liked it
great connections, not enough science. gueass its time for hawking.
Spz0
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is turning out to be all about a vibrational existence, and how everything - even our minds, and thoughts, our most subtlest of movements, have impact on the universe.
explaining quantum-issues 1 6 Jun 16, 2013 10:45AM

• Journeys Out of the Body: The Classic Work on Out-Of-Body Experience
  • King, Warrior, Magician, Lover: Rediscovering the Archetypes of the Mature Masculine
  • Pathways to Bliss: Mythology and Personal Transformation
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • Fingerprints of the Gods: The Evidence of Earth's Lost Civilization
  • Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions
  • Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us about Ourselves
  • Surf Is Where You Find It
  • The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Flinch
  • How to Make Someone Fall in Love With You in 90 Minutes or Less
  • Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
  • Bridging the Gap: Incorporating Travel into Education, Work, and a Meaningful Life
  • Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
  • Sometimes a Great Notion
  • The Death of Ivan Ilyich and Confession
  • Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster