Start by marking “Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness” as Want to Read:
Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness

Stalking the Wild Pendulum: On the Mechanics of Consciousness

In his exciting and original view of the universe, Itzhak Bentov has provided a new perspective on human consciousness and its limitless possibilities. Widely known and loved for his delightful humor and imagination, Bentov explains the familiar world of phenomena with perceptions that are as lucid as they are thrilling. He gives us a provocative picture of ourselves in an ...more
Published February 1st 1988 by Destiny Books (first published May 18th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Stalking the Wild Pendulum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stalking the Wild Pendulum

Koshin
Jun 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Amateur philosophers

I picked up this book after reading about the authors bio on wikipedia. I found the ideas fascinating as the author tries to construct a model of the metaphysical world using concepts already known in physics. There is very little in the way of formulas or proofs and he has very good analogies that try to relate concepts on a metaphysical level with real world examples. Some people have problems with his approach and would chastise the work as lacking in scientific rigor. I found the book entert
João Mendes
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book on the nature of consciousness and the universe, Stalking The Wild Pendulum is a masterpiece.

Itzhak Bentov weaves together diverse subjects including, physics, cosmology, subtle energy, and spirituality to deliver a groundbreaking book that has become a reference for all those who seek to understand the self and the universe.

With a Forward by the word-class physicist, Dr. William A. Tiller, Professor Emeritus of Materials Science and Engineering at Stanford University, Stalking
Jeanne
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: energymedicine
This is by far the clearest discussion of quantum theory I have read to date. Few people seem to have a speaking grasp of quantum physics and its implications. This book could change that.

In his chapter, "A Morse Code of Action and Rest," Bentov explains the movement and rest phases of a pendulum in such a way that it is clear to me how we can enter altered or parallel states of reality at the zero point. This fits with what I read in The Power of Now, and the Tobias channels of the Crimson Cir
Erin Mcleod
A provocative must-read for anyone looking to take in contemporary theoretical perspectives on the intersection between quantum physics and human consciousness. The first four chapters are quite demanding science reading for the novice, however well worth the effort. Bentov forms a coherent theory following the laying this groundwork, one that places human consciousness on a continuum with light and sound, and consists of a pendulum movement, like the swinging arm of a grandfather clock. Like th ...more
Karlo Žamić
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author presents a model of the universe that combines modern scientific thought with spiritual insight. He does so with great clarity, slashing through theory of relativity, big bang theory and quantum mechanics, presenting it to the reader in a coherent manner. He includes a great scope of paranormal phenomena, modern spiritual and traditional insight. I would recommend this book to intermediate or advanced spiritual seekers interested in aligning their beliefs with scientific accomplishments. ...more
Ilham kraimi
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
if there's one idea to contemplate and never forget after reading this book for me is this one: The Nothing the zero point is pure potential for all realities possibilities choices...
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best simple manual on quantum consciousness.
Nathan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As mentioned by other reviewers, the beginning the best part.

I think Bentov gets carried away in the latter section of the book but still is on to something.

With some refinement, this could have been a mind-blowing book.
Tom Stroh
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need to re-read this.
Ramiro Mendes
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read! Brilliant work!

Sandy
Apr 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knuckle head noetics
approx. 12,000 hits on Google. Basic premise is taking early thoughts on sympathetic vibration (string theory?) to a metaphysical level. He proclaims our entire existence is subconsciously experienced as swinging back and forth between the time we are individuals and the time when we "are part of the thing that is everything" (sort of like the Matrix only benign)

Knowledge and phenomena exist in "the everything" as big bubbles or concentrations. Great geniuses of all kinds tap in and bring back
Lage von Dissen
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Bentov certainly has a prolific imagination, and this book does a decent job of giving us a taste. He points out many rhythms, cycles, and patterns in nature, and how conscious beings are a part of (and how they have altered) those attributes. He discusses quantity vs. quality of consciousness, the psyche, and some ideas concerning our spiritual nature. He discusses temporal properties, cosmology (potential origin and cycles of the universe), etc. Needless to say, he covers quite a range of topi ...more
Sean
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Relying on barely any external references, this book presents an alternative view of the universe. I intend to read it again, as I am doing with The Source Field Investigations: The Hidden Science and Lost Civilizations Behind the 2012 Prophecies here, as I think them excellent compliments to each other, and I don't recall if it's completely accurate that the book doesn't use many external references.
Debra Brunk
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the most interesting and most creative/different book I've read in a long time. It was refreshing to read something so different. The author sets out to show the relationship between quantum physics and consciousness, existence and creation of the galaxy(ies). It's very technical, abstract stuff, but the author does an amazing job of explaining it via diagrams and easy-to-relate-to analogies. He steps the reader through his hypotheses in a logical way, despite the hugeness of what ...more
Jacob Fure
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you are curious at all about consciousness READ THIS BOOK.

It is very easy to understand, he doesn't use any complex language or terminology and utilizes pictures and diagrams really well so that you understand what he is talking about.

This information is not taught in schools and is somewhat counter to they way our culture views things.

You definitely need an open mind to read this book or else it will leave you open minded.

THIS BOOK COMPLETELY CHANGED HOW I SAW THE WORLD.
Nicholas
Nov 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
This book to me trod the line between modern physics and occult philosophy.It is very clear concise and readable,though the diagrams could have been better.
Too often books on these subjects plunge headlong into the abyss of mysticism,faith healing and ranting Utopian ideals,this however is a much more serious effort at explaining the mechanics of consciousness.It is an enlightening book in my opinion.
Michelle
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Michelle by: Dan
This is a heavy book. This book is very technical but the author does a great job of drawing diagrams and explaining things simply so that you can understand it. His insights into consciousness are extremely deep and well thought out. He does a great job proving his theories. I think everyone should read this book.
Jim
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I remember being impressed when I read this book many years ago. Unfortunately, I've lost my paperback copy, so can't reread and evaluate it from an older, more mature(?) perspective. And I don't plan on buying the book unless I run across a copy at a used book store.
Arthur
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A shockingly exhaustive cosmovision from a visionary autodidact who holds your hand from basic wave mechanics to the ramifications of spacetime as continuous while offering pointers on how to experience such truths immediately through contemplation.
M.E. Neidhardt
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is fascinating. It's not really about dowsing with a pendulum, as you might think by the cover. It's about the many different levels of consciousness, realities, time and space and how we could all have the ability to learn to interact with them if we open our minds.
Christine Allen
Aug 31, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who identify with eastern philosophies
The beginning was the best part. He starts to speculate toward the middle and some of his ideas are kind of a stretch of the imagination, but the concepts are interesting. There were a few mistakes, but I still liked it overall.
Feydras
Jul 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book helped shape my understanding of the structure of the universe and space/time. I read it years ago and don't know if the physics stand up. I'm told they certainly don't. But some of the ideas are brilliant.
Danny
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Definitely not the easiest read, but well worth the effort.
Mike
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
very interesting at the start then got a little to "Out there" for me. Although there is a certain science to his psychosis, Bentov is quite "Bent", still somewhat entertaining.

Shelly
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one that wants to expand their ideas about the universe and themselves
My expanding and evolving book!
Sandi
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking. It will need another read or two to take it all in.
Annica
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informative
Although I have to admit that my brain could not quite absorb all the concepts, it describes beautifully the science behind various mystical events and even life itself.
Mike mcghee
Apr 14, 2008 rated it liked it
great connections, not enough science. gueass its time for hawking.
Christopher Sharp
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, if you think you understand the way things work in our world this book will make you think again.
Spz0
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is turning out to be all about a vibrational existence, and how everything - even our minds, and thoughts, our most subtlest of movements, have impact on the universe.
explaining quantum-issues 1 5 Jun 16, 2013 10:45AM