Start by marking “Forbidden Lovers” as Want to Read:
Forbidden Lovers

Forbidden Lovers

NEW YORK TIMES Bestselling Author

His voice is familiar. Overpowering. Sexy.

But he can't be the man she loved...

Because Matt Harper is dead.

Published August 7th 2018 by Harlequin Desire

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden Lovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden Lovers

Julie
Forbidden Lovers by Kimberly Troutte is a 2018 Harlequin Desire publication.

Julia and Matt fell hard for one another as teens, but they were separated by forces beyond their control. Matt was forced to join the Airforce and thought Julia moved on with her life without him and Julia thought Matt was dead. When Matt returns home at the forceful request of his father, he meets up with Julia again. Reunited, however briefly, the couple take advantage of their time together. But, shocking revelation
Dita
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh wow this is my first book from Kimberley Troutte and I really like it.
A sweet second chance romance mix with mystery.
He thought she's already moved on and she thought he's already dead. When fate bring them back together again, will the sparks still there or will the broken heart that makes them put the wall around their heart scared them. Oh yeah love the story and with the mystery thrown in every chapter, I can't put it down. It might be a bit rushed at the end, it left me with a lot of con
Isha Coleman
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For Matt and Julia love was their greatest gift but their worst obstacle. How can something that began so beautifully have ending in such a heartbreaking way? Manipulated by forces beyond their control and secrets too big to hide, things are about to explode. He's a ghost from her past.. She holds the key to his future. Both crave a second chance, but danger could be looming on the horizon. Forbidden Lovers is romance at it's most heartbreaking. A breathtaking beginning to a complicated series.
Olivia
"Forbidden Lovers" begins when Matt returns home after 10 years. His father forced him to join the Air Force, and he went to Afghanistan. Now, he is planning to start his own airline. However, he ends up back at home due to a call from his father for him and his siblings. His father is acting uncharacteristically- he has invited the whole town (previously considered to be just the help) to some kind of celebration for a big announcement. On his way to his father's house, Matt stops by one of his ...more
Linda Walters
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked and enjoyed this book. It had great main characters and really great supporting ones too. Secrets, mysteries and dangers were also a part of the story. It was an emotional story as well. And the mysteries and secrets were NOT just about Julia and Matt's romance. Although that alone was a doozy.
Matt's childhood was a horrendous one. His father and his mother just brought out the worst in each other and caused one huge battlefield in the lives of their children until they divorced.
Carma
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-kindle
My rating is 3.5 stars for Forbidden Lovers by Kimberly Troutte. Ms. Troutte is a new to me author and while I felt this book had some good bones, it failed to grab my attention completely.

Matt Harper is returning home to Plunder Cove after leaving, without a choice, 10 years ago to join the Air Force. He left behind his fiancée, who rapidly remarried (supposedly) 3 months after he left, estranged parents and a home comparable to a compound.

Julia Espinoza lost the love of her life when her fian
Jacoby
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Matt and Julia fell in love in high school. They were not only from opposite sides of the economic spectrum, but their home life could not have been more different. Matt’s family had money but no love. his parents were both abusive and manipulative and that’s what ultimately sent Matt to the Air Force, abandoning Julia. Julia is from a big Hispanic family where everyone is close and there is no doubt that love abounds with immediate and extended families. Ten years after Julia and Matt parted, M ...more
Lesley
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Plunder Cove - sounds like a bad soap opera, but the Harpers are descended from pirates who settled this town. Matt Harper has horrible parents and he was forced to leave his love, Julia, behind and leave ten years earlier. Now, he and his siblings have been called home and he is reunited with Julia and her son.

There’s a lot going on in this book and not enough pages to give this story true justice. I was very confused on who thought Matt was dead and who knew he was alive. Julia figures out he’
Mary Hlavacka
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
This isn’t the type of book that I usually read but I loved it! For such a short, easy to read book, I was surprised by the drama that was packed in the pages from the abusive, manipulative parents who tore a young couple apart to the falsified funeral and the secret lovechild to the passionate, newly rekindled love affair that leads to a wedding that brings everyone together when the truth finally comes out.

Some aspects of the book were a bit unbelievable though. Like how did Julia really not
Heidi
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Matt and Julia were teenage lovers. Matt's life was rich but without his parent's love. Julia was poor with enough family love to sustain them both. Matt's father RW is abusive and a horrible person who makes Matt leave for the armed forces. 10 years later he comes home and Julia has a beautiful 10-year-old little boy and Julia is under the assumption that Matt is dead. Things are different at home now with RW but things never changed with his love for Julia. Matt has a lot to overcome but with ...more
Christina
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Forbidden Lovers centered around Julia and Matt. They were teenage lovers who were broken up by his meddling parents and when he went into the Air Force. I really did not enjoy the book due to the fact that each thing felt incredibly unbelievable. For example, I couldn’t believe that Matt’s parents were so evil and didn’t want them to be together that they would come up with a fake funeral to make the entire town think he was dead. But his family, including siblings, knew he was alive. Another e ...more
Margaret McGovern
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic contemporary romance with intrigue and suspense. Matt and Julia loved one another as teens but their love was forbidden. Matt was pushed by his abusive father, RW, to walk away from Julia. During basic training he learned that Julia had married devastated so he stayed away from home until his father called be and his siblings home. Julia reconnected with Matt and they decide to enjoy their short time together. Matt is shocked to meet Julia's son. There are lots of secrets that are boun ...more
Connie Felkins
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great introduction to the people of Plunder Cove but it will leave you with questions. It can be read as a stand alone but you will be anticipating the next book in the series, hoping for more answers.
A second chance romance that is very intriguing and will draw you into it as it moves quickly. Not sure that the feelings that came to light were answered appropriately. I always put myself into the characters place and I am sure I would have been demanding more answers.
All in all a good
Dawnmarie Burke
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an INCREDIBLE BOOK!!! The storyline kept you hooked from the very beginning. I also liked that it was an original premise and that I CAN'T WAIT for the next book in this series! This was Matt and Julia's story and it was a beautiful and heartbreaking tale of first love and true love that never dies. I look forward to reading what happens to Matt's brother and sister and if RW and his Angel will get their HEA. I would definitely recommend this book!! I was given an ARC in exchange for my ...more
Susan Angela Wallace
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forbidden lovers by Kimberley Troutte.
Matt Harper falls in love with Julia. But his dad rw has other ideas. He forbids him not to see Julia or he will harm her and her family.  So Matt goes away and joins the air force. When he is called back he sees Julia and realises he is still in love with her will she feel the same?
A fantastic read with brilliant characters.  I loved Matt and Julia. But not Matt's dad rw.  I didn't like what he did to Matt and Julia. I loved the bit where he said I'm a da
Kelly
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick read of a new to me author. This is the first book in a series about Plunder Cove, run by RW Harper. Matt Harper was shipped off to the Air Force to keep him away from his sweetheart Julia Espinoza. 10 years later Matt comes home and reconnects with Julia. Lots of confusion in the story between characters from what happened in the past, I think a lot of it is setup for future books. I did enjoy the story and can't wait to see what happens next!

This review is based on a galley copy from net
Marty Tool
Jul 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm thinking this is the beginning of a series? Lots of characters, but easy to remember who is who. If you're looking for a quick love story this can fill the void. Main characters were in love as teenagers and then torn apart by his family. Ten years goes by and he is called home and of course misunderstandings are the norm and it takes the book to sort it all out to get to the HEA. Follow up books could be about siblings, crazy aunts, or the father of the rich family, lots of possibilities. E ...more
Becky S
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I received and ARC from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a typical Harlequin book- going in to it no one should expect complete development of characters. It's quick and simple. Easy read and does what it set out to do- just be a good read that you can pick up and set down when needed. That being said, the conclusion seemed a bit rushed and the forgiveness factor a little too simple. But again, it fits the typical format of these books. Seems like it could be the first of sev
Ruza
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*
I used to read Harlequin Desire books all the time so I was looking forward to trying the books again. That being said, I enjoyed the book. Matt Harper and Julia Espinoza fell in love at a young age, and then Matt walked away. They were both lied to by Matt's parents. Matt believed Julia married another, and Julia believed Matt died while in Afghanistan. 10-yrs later Matt's father gets him to return home. A chance reunion that bring forth all of the details on how they were manipulated by Ma
Nancy Ku
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forbidden Lovers (Kindle) by Kimberly Troutte This is my first book by Kimberly Troutte ... it won't be my last. This is a second chance romance... I moved right into the book from the first and never left. Matt Harper ...troubled childhood..unloving parents.. Julia Espinoza.. from the wrong side of the tracks...young lovers... He's back after ten years ...so many misunderstandings.. angst feelings... laughs...tears... and steamy sex to get to a very HEA... and lets's not forget Henry, RW, Angel ...more
Sherry Bohrmueller
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first book by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Her writing style just pulled you into the story and I couldn't put it down. My favorite part was the proposal. But I couldn't believe the ending. I didn't realize it was ending on a cliffhanger, not my favorite way to end a book. I will have to make sure I watch for the next one in this series. Can't wait to find out what happens next.
Diana
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forbidden Lovers by Kimberley Troutte
Julia Espinoza and Matt Harper fell in love as teenagers and his parents broke them up. Now he is back in the area after years away and they realize that they never stopped loving each other. I really enjoyed this book and the family interactions. It has a touch of mystery to it on another storyline going on so I now want to read Kimberley Troutte next book so I can see how it is solved. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good book.
Kendall Daley
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SOOOO!! This was my first time reading a Harlequin book!! I am so glad I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway!!! I am so glad this was my first book!!!! The love story was perfect! Very easy read! You easily fall in love with the characters and there are a few twists and turns that are great!! I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves this genre on novels, i most definitely look forward to the second book in the series.
Penney
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
About the book, Julia Espinoza fell for Matt Harper despite his pirate reputation and the social gulf between them. Then he broke her heart. Now she's made a life without him...until a stranger returns looking and feeling remarkably like her lover. When one no-strings night reveals the truth, unraveling all the schemes dividing them may be their only second chance..
I enjoyed this story very much, love the characters, this is a new Author for me I'm going to look for more books by her,
Patricia
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
this is an interesting story, a story of a father who does not know how to treat his children , Matt leaves but not because he wants to, but do nothave a chance to tellJulia he comes back when the father calls all the children home. he has changed , I was given a copy by Netgalley but this is an honest review. there is love, suspense and a boy
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Forbidden Lovers is a fast, romantic read. I found the story of the two main characters intriguing and wonderful, but I think the author tried to include too many side characters and stories to set up the series, that it lost the focus of the main plot. I still very much enjoyed the story and the writing was well paced.
Melinda M
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Forbidden Lovers by Kimberly Troutte is a sweet second chance romance with a mystery. It is a little sexy so if you like just sweet you may not enjoy this but the mystery is very good. Second chances and the mystery are intertwined . It keeps your interest.

I received a copy thru a Goodreads Giveaway.
Marcie Robinson
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
“Forbidden Lovers” by Kimberley Troutte has a fantastic premise, unfortunately the author’s voice did not resonate with me and I was unable to finish the book. I was turned off by Julia’s cousins and, even Matt Harper himself, within the first chapters.

It has to be said, that not every reader will love every book and this is one of those books for me.
Meaghan
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: net-galley
This story was just a little bit too unbelievable for me. I usually enjoy the Harlequin romance/suspense novels. Julia didn't recognize him when he returned, he had no idea that she missed him all this time... everything is forgiven and forgotten quickly, both between them and his family.
Nancy Jones
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Arc received courtesy of Goodreads.com first reads giveaway.

I enjoyed reading Forbidden Lovers. The story and characters were good. This was a quick read. I look forward to reading the others in this series.
« previous 1 3 next »
Harlequin Desire:...: Forbidden Lovers by Kimberly Troutte 1 2 Aug 01, 2018 06:07AM

• Craving His Best Friend's Ex
  • Wild Wyoming Nights (The McNeill Magnates #8)
  • A Snowbound Scandal
  • Stranger in His Bed (The Masters of Texas)
  • To Tame a Cowboy (Texas Cattleman’s Club: The Missing Mogul #5)
  • What a Rancher Wants (Texas Cattleman’s Club: A Missing Mogul #9)
  • Marriage with Benefits
  • His Lover's Little Secret (Millionaires of Manhattan #3)
  • Once Pregnant, Twice Shy (Gage Brothers #3)
  • Staying at Joe's (Castle Creek, #2)
  • Twins Under the Christmas Tree (Cash Brothers, #2)
  • Claiming the Cowgirl's Baby (Red Dirt Royalty, #6)
  • Expecting the CEO's Child
  • The Westmoreland Collection: Zane \ Canyon \ Stern
  • Single Dad's Christmas Miracle
  • Safe in His Sight (Escape Club Heroes #1)
  • The Best Man's Guarded Heart
  • Claiming His Secret Son (The Billionaires of Blackcastle #4)