Jump to ratings and reviews

Guess Who

A debut thriller that offers a fresh, modern twist on the classic "locked room" mystery novel, for readers of Noah Hawley and Jeffery Deaver

The rules are simple.

But the game is not.

At eleven years old, Morgan Sheppard solved the murder of a teacher when everyone else believed it to be a suicide. The publicity surrounding the case laid the foundation for his reputation as a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. He parlayed that fame into a gig as TV’s “resident detective,” solving the more typical tawdry daytime talk show mysteries like “Who is the father?” and “Is he cheating?”

Until, that is, Sheppard wakes up handcuffed to a bed in an unfamiliar hotel room. Around him, five strangers are slowly waking up, as well. Soon they discover a corpse in the bathtub and Sheppard is challenged to put his deductive skills to the test. One of the people in the room is the killer. He has three hours to solve the murder. If he doesn’t find the killer, they all will die.

An ingenious, page-turning debut, Chris McGeorge’s Guess Who matches the high-wire plotting of classic “locked room” mysteries into the unstoppable pacing of the modern-day thriller.

362 pages, Hardcover

10 books145 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
589 (12%)
1 star
123 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 756 reviews
Profile Image for Paromjit.
2,504 reviews24.5k followers
April 17, 2018
Chris McGeorge's debut psychological thriller drops the reader into the locked room syndrome with six people amidst whom walks a killer, and a corpse in the bathroom. Morgan Sheppard is a notoriously famous TV resident detective, in a show of a similiar ilk to the ghastly Jeremy Kyle Show, who decides who is telling the truth amongst characters accused of being cheats and more. This is a gig he acquired on the back of his history as a child, when at the tender age of 11 years old, he solved the murder of Mr Jeffries, his Maths teacher at his school, assumed to have hanged himself. His reputation as a young Sherlock Holmes and the TV show have made him wealthy, any qualms about his role are held at bay by his addictions to drink and drugs. He wakes up one day handcuffed to a bed with five other strangers in a hotel room in central London, none of them have any idea how they come to be there or why.

A man in a horse's head mask assigns the task of discovering who killed the man in the bathroom to Sheppard in three hours, and if he fails, everyone in the hotel will be killed in a series of explosions. Sheppard feels a clawing need for drink and drugs, but he has to find the resources to function without them as time presses him to try and identify the murderer amongst his motley collection of companions. The victim, to Sheppard's horror, is well known to him, it is Simon Winter, a psychologist who served as his therapist for numerous years since he was 11 years old. It turns out everyone else knows him or has a connection to him too. From the start Sheppard can feel in his bones that this entire scenario is about him, but his addled brain struggles to penetrate the dense fog of his memories, where it is difficult to discern what is fact and what is fiction in his carefully constructed personal history. Events spiral out of control amidst the occupants of the hotel room as mayhem and suspicion run rampant. Who is behind their predicament and what is their motive?

This is a fast paced, tense and addictive read that has you racing to find out who the killer is, and who is behind the horse's head. Sheppard proves to be the most unreliable of people, a man who has wanted nothing more in his life other than to be famous. As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. There is twist after twist in the narrative, adding tension and suspense in spades. As the truth begins to become clear, it transpires very little is black and white, it is all dingy depressive shades of grey when it comes to identifying villains from heroes. An edgy, compulsive and entertaining read. Many thanks to Orion for an ARC.
Profile Image for Krystin | TheF**kingTwist.
449 reviews1,710 followers
September 4, 2022
Book Blog | Bookstagram

For the first half of this novel, it is very much SAW meets Clue, just minus the gore. The story buildup creates a sinister, frantic vibe that had me hooked like a gullible-ass fish. This is a locked-room mystery that feels both extravagant and desperate at first, and that definitely worked for me in a totally non-sexual sexual way.

Morgan Sheppard is a TV star. He's very much if Maury and Robert Stack had a baby, but that baby was drunk all the time. As a child, he solved the murder of his math teacher and created a very successful career riding (read: exploiting) that wave. Through his fame, he’s turned into an alcoholic, drug addict and womanizer. The only problem is, Sheppard has been full of shit for a very long time. And The Evil Man, in his goofy fucking horse mask, knows it. He locks Sheppard and five other people in a hotel room with a dead body in the bathtub. Sheppard has three hours to find the killer – one of the people in the room – and prove what kind of detective he really is, or the hotel will blow the F up.

The second half of the book tries too hard to make this ground this ridiculous thriller plot and it totally messed with the vibe. Flashback chapters and all the monologuing The Evil Man does to explain why and how he pulled off everything he did. "And then I invested in stocks! Let me tell you all about making my fortune!" I don't care, my dude. I care about the hotel about to blow up.

The plot ended up taking itself too seriously and the story became bogged down.

Even still, it was a good read. Not great, but good. The plot is complex, the characters are uniquely drawn and the mystery of who is doing all the evil Jigsaw nonsense is engaging and mostly fun. The second half is just very rough around the edges.

⭐⭐⭐½ | 3.5 stars rounded down
Profile Image for Kendall.
626 reviews623 followers
July 26, 2018
Wow.. Guess Who is an interesting ride!

Bringing back Saw ladies and gents........

Let's meet Sheppard.. he's a famous true crime detective who wakes up handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room. Sheppard is not alone in this hotel room... he is accompanied by Mandy, Alan, Constance, Ryan, and another nameless girl wearing headphones. Just to add one more thing to a mix... a dead body is laying in the bathroom.

A mysterious horse-masked man appears on the television in the hotel room. He gives Sheppard three hours to find out who killed the body in the bathroom. If he fails, the hotel will be destroyed.

The novel alternates between present and the immediate past. Sheppard has struggled with alcohol and drug addiction in the past... which complicates things in him solving the crime.

Kuddos to the author for being creative! I was very intrigued by the premise of the storyline but unfortunately the story fell flat for me after the opening bang of a scene. This is an extremely slow burn of a thriller. Also, was a tad bit over the top with some of the characters and unbelievable.

I did really enjoy how the author connected Sheppard's flashbacks to the overall story.

Overall, 3 stars for me on this one.

Thank you so much to Harlequin/Hanover Press for the opportunity to read this arc in exchange for my honest thoughts.

Publication date: 9/18/18
Published to GR: 7/26/18
Profile Image for Wilma.
106 reviews49 followers
September 16, 2018
Subliem...goed uitgewerkt, psychologische diepgang...ik heb genoten!!
Profile Image for Liz Barnsley.
3,385 reviews978 followers
April 13, 2018
This is the most fun I’ve had with a crime novel in AGES. It is literally like a game of Guess Who but with blood and death and destruction and a hotel room you just can’t escape from – all the suspects are there along with a dead body and all they have to do is work out which of them is a killer. Simple. Or not…

Guess Who is an intelligent, immersive whodunnit – most excellent plotting allows you to solve the mystery if you are paying attention but distracts you with things like blood and hysterics and general mayhem. The personalities are all cleverly obfuscated, my advice is trust no-one and Mulder doesn’t even put in an appearance.

It is a twisted tale, an old fashioned locked room mystery given a modern and fresh feel – pacy and wonderfully written, a multi-faceted character drama with added murder. We have a hero and a villain for sure but it’s the shades of grey that mean you could consider which way round they sit. Racing along to an edgy and possibly unexpected conclusion (unless of course you do follow the clues and Guess Who) this was a genuinely engaging and entertaining read.

Excellent debut. More please.

Recommended.
Profile Image for Linda Strong.
3,882 reviews1,627 followers
September 16, 2018
When Morgan Sheppard wakes up, he finds that he is handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room he's never seen before. All around him are bodies ... 5 of them to be exact ... all living, but just as confused as he is. There is a dead body in the tub in the bathroom. One of the people in that room is a killer and he has exactly 3 hours to figure out who the killer is. If he doesn't find the killer, they will all die.

So begins a take on the locked room mysteries of old.

This is a well-written complex story full of twists and turns. The rapid pacing and energetic action kept me glued to the pages from beginning to surprising ending. The characters are indelibly drawn with a lot of attention paid to each and every one.

It's hard to imagine that this is a debut novel. I've always loved puzzles ... this was the best ever.

Many thanks to the author / Hanover Square Press / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Profile Image for Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books).
585 reviews323 followers
October 19, 2018
Guess Who has an interesting premise, that has been positioned by others as 'Agatha Christie meets Saw', so I was immediately excited. I loved the concept that strangers wake up in a hotel room together with a dead body and have a limited amount of time to figure out 'whodunnit' before disaster strikes. Unfortunately for me, that's where my enjoyment of the book ended.

While the overall plot was intriguing, I had a hard time with the execution. I never connected with any of the characters, in fact, I disliked every single one of them, which made it hard for me to root for them in the long run. When the reveals happened in the book, I wasn't excited about them like I wanted to be, and I found myself wishing the book would move forward faster. It felt like it was too long for the story.

Overall, the book just didn't work for me. It felt unrealistic, slow, and it didn't feel like anything new (which isn't always necessary, but it just felt like this had "been there, done that" and in a better way in other books and movies.) If you're a fan of very slow moving mysteries and unlikeable characters, this may be better suited for you.

I'd like to thank Netgalley and Hanover Square Press for my copy of the book. It was my pleasure to provide an honest review.
Profile Image for Dennis.
724 reviews1,386 followers
July 31, 2018
Saw meets Agatha Christie, in Chris McGeorge's debut tale Guess Who . Morgan Sheppard is a famous television detective, made notorious after figuring out a murder when he was a child. Flash-forward to the present day, Morgan is now living the life of an A-list celebrity in the UK. His television career has become more sensationalized as time progressed—think Maury, but probably classier. Morgan has wealth and he has fame, but consequently, that also creates enemies and rivalries. Morgan wakes up one morning handcuffed in a hotel room, unsure on how he ended up in this predicament. Morgan soon realizes that he's not alone in this room—there are five others also captured, and a dead body in the bathroom. It becomes clear that there's something clearly wrong with this picture, but nobody can determine why. When all clues lead to the theory of a murderer being trapped alongside with the group, Morgan must try his best to figure out the case, or else everybody is in danger.

Guess Who is a tough book to review for a variety of reasons. It's a fun story to dive into. It's a classic case of Clue, or Hercule Poirot's Murder on the Orient Express, and spun with a modern-day tone. Guess Who is a whodunnit at it's core, but it's also a pretty interesting mystery—no matter how light-heartedly it was written. While it was a slow-burning plot, it did have some clever clues and twists along the way. I was mildly disappointed in the style in which the mystery was developed, but overall I do think this book will be an entertaining, or at least a fun read for most mystery seekers. I think I'll keep Chris McGeorge on the radar for future works, and will recommend this to readers who want to read classic whodunnit's with an edge.

Thank you to Hanover Square Press for my advanced copy in exchange for an honest review. Guess Who will be released September 18, 2018.
Profile Image for Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill.
505 reviews623 followers
September 14, 2018
The story opens up with local celebrity Morgan Sheppard waking handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room with five people he does not know. All five of the people in the room have no idea how they have gotten there, or so they say. One of them must because they are a killer. There is a dead body in the bathtub and someone knows how it got there. It is up to Sheppard to find out who. Or they all die.

How is that for an opening? Absolutely intriguing right? It drew me right into the story. Unfortunately it fell into a lull for me and I had trouble getting into the book after the initial chapters. The author would flip to the past to fill in the gaps, which I actually found really interesting. It was the present day trying to find out who did it that I had trouble with. With that said it was so unique and crazy to wrap your head around what was going on.

Not sure why this was not a 5 star for me, because it is a unique and clever tale but I found it a bit far fetched and I had trouble with that. Don't let that deter you, because a lot of people will love this book. I almost feel like if you like sci fi you would love this. It is not sci fi, but you need to be able to have an open mind and be a bit creative in your thinking and I am sure you will love it. Just not my personal go to book but I am so glad I read it.

3.5 stars from me!

Thank you so much to Chris McGeorge, Harlequin and NetGalley for this ARC!
Profile Image for Darinda.
8,020 reviews145 followers
November 21, 2018
A group of strangers awakens in a locked hotel room, and soon discovers a dead body in the room with them. To escape the room, they are tasked with identifying the killer, who is one of them.

The main character, Morgan Sheppard, hosts a detective show on television. He is the primary target of the madman who has kidnapped them and locked them in a room with a corpse. The kidnapper appears on the room’s TV to address the strangers, and tells Shappard that to prove he is a good detective, he needs to solve the mystery. Since the punishment of not solving the mystery in the allotted time is death, the others are, obviously, trying to identify the killer too. Lots of drama, distrust, and arguments.

Throughout the novel, flashbacks of Sheppard’s childhood appear. When he was young, Sheppard solved a mystery, and that case brought him a lot of attention and fame. Ever since then, he has struggled with desiring the attention that fame affords, but also battling with personal demons.

A locked room mystery that started off strong. I enjoy this type of mystery, and was curious how the story would end. This one does have some twists, though I felt the story was a little too long and drawn out. Really, the ending was over-explained, and, for me, that took something away from the story. A good read for fans of locked room mysteries. Dark and twisted.
Profile Image for Lieblingsleseplatz .
231 reviews26 followers
March 14, 2019
Escape Room ist ein Buch, das schon seit September ungeduldig auf meinem Lesestapel auf seinen Einsatz wartet. Ich bin damals sofort darauf angesprungen, weil ich ja so unheimlich gerne EXIT-Spiele spiele..

Mein Traum wäre es ja, mal in so einem Live-Escape-Room eingeschlossen zu werden! Allerdings ohne echtes Blut…
A Propos Blut… ein Wort zum Cover: genial, oder? Meine kleine Tochter hat tatsächlich kurz aufgeschrien, weil sie dachte, an dem Buch klebt echt Blut! Kompliment an die Cover-Designer.

Die große Stärke von Escape Room sind definitiv die unterschiedlichen Charaktere, die auf so engem Raum aufeinander treffen. Diese Konstellationen entschädigen für vieles.
Ok – Eines hat mich echt gestört: ich kenne den Namen Morgan nur als weiblichen Vornamen, daher war ich über lange Zeit echt verwirrt, als von „ihm“ gesprochen wurde.
Leider wird „der Fall“ schon recht früh aufgeklärt, wodurch der Rest des Buches einfach zu viele Längen hatte. Aber ansonsten mochte ich Plot, Setting und Charaktere wirklich sehr. Ein wenig war ich an die Alten SAW-Filme erinnert… Ich vergebe sehr gerne 4 von 5 Lieblingslesesessel und freue mich jetzt umso mehr auf mein erstes Live-Exit Spiel ;-)
Profile Image for Jilles.
517 reviews9 followers
March 8, 2018
The plot seems exciting but is ridiculous, but what else is new in the latest trend of thrillers full of twists, unsympathetic characters and hardly no suspense. The more plot has to be explained in this book, the more messy it becomes with all these unbelievable twists. After being locked up in a room with a body and 5 people, one of which is the killer, and only 3 hours to solve the murder otherwise the whole building will be blown up, our flawed drugs and alcohol addicted hero starts to investigate. Of course everybody has a secret up his or her sleeve. At the end, after nothing happened that was supposed to happen, our hero finds a loose stone in the wall behind a cupboard, makes a hole and just escapes. Really??? Or what about the psychologist who finds out in the backstory that the bad guys are going to kill him pretty soon. What will he do? Go for help? Run away? No, he makes notes in his notebook so that when he is killed, our hero has some clues to figure out who is behind all of this. Really??? This is not recommended reading.
Profile Image for Empress Reece (Hooked on Books).
915 reviews78 followers
July 9, 2018
Whoever is writing the synopses for his books should get a raise! I'm serious I had to read this book like immediately after reading that synopsis. I was a little scared though that it wouldn't live up to the high expectations I acquired after reading it but it got pretty damn close. Definitely not a bad start for a debut! My only complaint really is that all of the characters were so unlikable I didn't really have anyone to root for. If they all died in that room it really wouldn't have made one difference to me and definitely no loss to humanity. The plot and the mystery is what stood out to me and what makes this a good book. Once I started reading I was hooked until the final page.

Then- I had to go and read the synopsis for his next book, Now You See Me and it's sounds even better then this one which is quite a feat! Of course now I want that book, like yesterday, and it doesn't release until 2019. : (
Profile Image for Aleshanee.
1,373 reviews93 followers
March 1, 2020
Worum gehts?

Morgan Sheppard, der berühmt-berüchtigte "Kinderdetektiv" und mittlerweile abehalfterte Fernsehstar wird mit einer Leiche und den Mordverdächtigen in ein Zimmer gesperrt. Einzige Chance zu entkommen: das Entlarven des Mörders.

Das hätte für mich als Info genügt - doch in dem eh schon knappen Klappentext waren zu viele Details, die schon den Anfang der Geschichte für mich zu sehr gespoilert haben.

Dadurch war der Einstieg etwas zäh. Durch den Klappentext weiß man schon genau, worum es geht und es werden auch vor Beginn der Handlung alle Charaktere mit 2-3 Sätzen vorgestellt. Super um schon mal einen Eindruck zu bekommen, für die Spannung leider weniger sinnvoll ...

Trotzdem wollte ich mich davon nicht abschrecken lassen. Nachdem das Kennelern-Prozedere dann vorbei war (was viel zu lange gedauert hat), ging es aber leider nicht wie erhofft weiter. Die Situation in dem Zimmer, das Zusammenspiel der Figuren aufgrund der Leiche, das alles war mir viel zu wenig. Natürlich gehts um die Aufklärung, wer der Mörder ist, aber eine reine Fragerunde "wer bist du und wie bist du hierher gekommen" war mir einfach zu unspektakulär und hätte viel mehr hergegeben. Das ganze Benehmen der Figuren: die Aufregung, der Thrill, die Angst, war eigentlich so gut wie nicht vorhanden - dabei müsste da doch genug Zündstoff vorhanden sein in so einer Situation!
Zudem wird das ganze immer wieder unterbrochen durch die Rückblicke auf das Leben von Morgan Sheppard, die zwar wichtig sind, die mir aber zu viele Wiederholungen auf seine ständige Gier nach Drogen und Alkohol im Fokus gehabt haben. Seine Persönlichkeit ist überhaupt wieder so "typisch", damit haut man einfach keinen Leser mehr vom Hocker. Zumindest nicht in der Art und Weise.

Die Aufklärung, was hinter dem ganzen steckt, zog sich für mich dann auch zu sehr in die Länge. Es erinnert mich mal wieder eher an einen Krimi und ich kann nur immer wieder betonen: wenn Thriller draufsteht erwarte ich eine mega Spannung und eine mitreißende Handlung! Dem Autor ist das hier für mich nicht gelungen und durch das zähe Vorankommen hat mich dann auch das Ende nicht mehr so wirklich überraschen können.

Recht viel mehr fällt mir dazu ehrlich gesagt nicht ein und ich fand es echt schade, wieder einmal von einem Thriller so enttäuscht zu sein.

Ich bin ja übrigens bekennend kein Fan von dem ganzen "political correctness" Wahn, aber die Aussage des Protas hier fand ich schon etwas gewagt als er fragt: Gibt es hier einen Arzt oder eine Krankenschwester? xD Wobei das natürlich durchaus an der Übersetzung liegen kann.
Profile Image for Rheama Heather.
228 reviews3 followers
August 30, 2020
At the age of eleven, Morgan Sheppard solved a homicide and has been riding the subsequent wave of Boy Wonder fame ever since. Decades later, a masked man challenges Sheppard’s detective skills. He wakes up sealed in a hotel room with five strangers. There’s a dead body in the bathtub, and Sheppard is given three hours to figure out who did it. If he fails, there will be dire consequences.

This Saw-like premise is enticing enough to ensure you’ll read to the end. We must unlock the secrets of this hotel room!

However, the journey isn’t as thrilling as it might seem. Sheppard is a thoroughly unlikable narrator. I’m not just being snotty. He doesn’t even like himself. I wasn’t invested in his survival, and sometimes I even found myself actively rooting against him.

As the plot progresses, the other characters also prove to be either detestable, one dimensional, or simply unbelievable. Only one hotel “guest” tugged at my heart strings. (Guess who!) I wish this particular character had been more prominent because I needed someone worthy of my faith and attachment.
Profile Image for Katie.
238 reviews49 followers
September 19, 2018
I was in the mood for a light-hearted puzzle mystery book and this recently published “locked room” mystery seemed to fit the bill. A TV host detective with secrets in his past wakes up handcuffed in a hotel room and tasked with figuring out which of the five other kidnapped people in the room murdered the corpse in the bathroom. If he doesn’t solve the murder in three hours, his mysterious captor seen only on a TV screen threatens to blow up the whole building. I read the book all in one day and found myself skimming some parts because those parts seemed to be slowing down the action. The book flashes back and forth between different points in time and there is a reveal at the end that tells you in detail about how everything was set up. I should have picked up on more of the clues along the way. If you are a cozy mystery lover, this book is probably too dark for you, but I think there is a specific audience that would really like it.

Thanks to NetGalley, Harlequin-Hanover Square Press, and the author Chris McGeorge for an electronic review copy.
Profile Image for Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows).
1,529 reviews316 followers
September 19, 2018
So here's the thing. I was in it to win it with this book. Had me captured from the first page.. and then about 3/4 of the way in… I was like waiiiit a minuuuteee… is this like SAW but NOT? And luckily it didn't go quite in the direction that I thought it would but it did veer in a completely different direction that I didn't expect (serious kudos for that) but also like WHAT?!

The short chapters keep you moving quickly through the book. I LOVE hating on characters and I absolutely hated on Sheppard but I think I could've hated him MORE. Ya hear me?? I'm supremely torn in how to write this review. The idea behind it is amazing. I totally can suspend some reality. I can think "OH SHIT, who did I piss off and what's going to happen to me??" I can also realize that if I was ever in a locked room situation where I had to solve a murder or the strangers (and I) died within a three hour period - well quite frankly, sorry people - we're ALL dying.

Ultimately, I thoroughly did enjoy this book. I really, truly did. However, the ending was a little bit off-putting to me. I would've preferred it had it gone <---- no spoilers here, folks but maybe that's just a me thing... regardless, this is a fast paced and entertaining read. I just wanted... a little... bit... more.

Thank you Hanover Square Press for this copy!
Profile Image for P42.
234 reviews1,620 followers
September 6, 2018
description

RECENZJA już na kanale! http://bit.ly/p42escape

+ najbardziej ucieszyło mnie to, że książka nie jest tylko o tym, że szóstka bohaterów jest zamknięta w pokoju i mają wskazać mordercę
+ cały wątek retrospekcji i tajemnicy z przeszłości
+ niesamowicie angażująca fabuła
+ nic nie jest ani czarne ani białe
MUSZĘ SIĘ POCHWALIĆ, ŻE POPRAWNIE WYTYPOWAŁEM MORDERCĘ! ^_^
- zakończenie dość mało spektakularne, nadal środek książki najlepszy
- początek książki jest po prostu nudnawy, może niesłusznie zniechęcić do lektury

Czy dobrze mi się zdaje, że powinienem częściej czytać thrillery kryminalne? Chyba tak :)

description
Profile Image for Bridget.
Author 0 books79 followers
September 8, 2018
"The rules are simple......

But the game is not."

Wow. Wild ride does not do this justice! Guess Who is reminiscent of the famed Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None with an intensity of a thriller on steroids! And trust me, you will be trying to guess who all the way to the end!

Morgan Sheppard, a TV detective, wakes up handcuffed to a pole, in a locked hotel room with 5 strangers and 1 dead body. If that isn't bad enough, up pops the TV screen with an unknown, masked messenger informing Sheppard he has 3 short hours to solve this mystery or there will be horrific consequences to be paid.

If that doesn't grab you, I don't know what will!

Guess Who is told from the point of view of Morgan Sheppard in present time with bits of memories of his past poking through to give us a better picture of who he is and why he is. He isn't the most cuddly, lovable protagonist but that is what molds him into the perfect one.

Guess Who has all of the intriguing, creepy ingredients that makes it an outstanding psychological thriller!

Special thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Publishing for an advanced reader copy of Guess Who.

Release date: 9/18/18
Profile Image for Odette Brethouwer.
1,359 reviews233 followers
May 17, 2018
Het is echt wel een prima thriller met een goed en interessant plot. Maar ik ben halverwege, en andere boeken van mijn stapel trekken me veel meer omdat ik de klik met de personages mis. Ik heb dit de laatste tijd vaker met thrillers, misschien moet ik eens leren om even een tijdje geen thriller meer te lezen...
Profile Image for Casey.
187 reviews9 followers
August 10, 2018
While I disliked the main character, figured out the killer was within the first hundred pages, since the interview scene was just too obvious, and found this book to be a bit absurd, I liked it more than I expected and shall rate it 3.5 stars! I love authors that start their books off hot and heavy and do not get tired half way through, and that is exactly what Chris McGeorge did. Guess Who was a fun thriller and I enjoyed what a fast paced read this novel was because each chapter ended with me wanting to read more. I look forward to reading more of McGeorge.
Profile Image for Tiffany PSquared.
494 reviews88 followers
September 19, 2018
I did not enjoy this book. I felt it was too derivative - specifically of the movie, Saw. And the dual timeline fell apart toward the end, making the story feel disjointed and, at one point, like you had entered a different (almost better) story altogether.

I felt like I labored through the second half of the book - already knowing who the perpetrators were and just waiting for the MC to realize it. Turns out, surprise! I was right and the denouement was no surprise, but more than that - it wasn't even interesting getting there.

I hope I have the unpopular opinion here, but I really didn't like it and I feel like I wasted my time.

Thanks to NetGalley, Hanover Square Press, and the author for the opportunity to read and review a free copy of this book.
Profile Image for Zuky the BookBum.
591 reviews295 followers
April 27, 2020
It’s been a long time since I really disliked a book. I had high hopes for this one based on some reviews I’d seen around the blogosphere when it was first published, but wow, this was really underwhelming. I almost DNF’d this one but I was so hopeful that the ending would save it… spoilers, it didn’t. Please excuse my messy review for this book, I had a really hard time putting into words just what it was that I disliked.

As soon as I began this book I knew I wasn’t going to get on with the writing. There’s nothing wrong with a simplistic writing style if it’s done well (see Ira Levin) but there is a major problem with simple writing when it’s done like it was in this novel. There was a devastating lack of descriptive language despite the book being almost 400 pages. There was so much text but nothing was ever really said. All conversations between characters were completely flat and robotic. It was honestly quick painful to read in places.

An issue I, and many other lower rating reviewers, found with this book was the lack of decent characters. No-one was remotely likeable so I didn’t find myself rooting for anyone and I wasn’t particularly bothered about finding out who the bad guy was (even though I knew who they were from the moment we met them, more on that further down!) Not to mention, like the plot itself, the characters were unrealistic. At one point in the book there is a 11 year old boy who says “we need to look at every possible avenue”, and “eleven-year-olds solving a murder, maybe we’d be the first”- none of it rings true.

Now onto the worst offender, the story. I’m all for wild storylines (The Killing Lessons being a good example) however, this one is just silly and it’s silly from the start. Maybe if this one was better written, I could have suspended reality a little more and accepted the plot, but with all the other bad factors contributing, I simply couldn’t lose myself in this one.

In terms of the mystery, I went in expecting the “twisty mystery” as advertised on the back but wow, the twists in this could not have been more see-through. From the moment we meet one of the characters and our MC, Morgan Sheppard, starts to notice small things about them, it’s blatantly obvious this is going to the person Morgan is supposed to suss out. Knowing this made reading the rest of the book a complete drag, McGeorge could have at least waited more than 20 pages to give it all away.

Overall, this has been my least favourite book for a very, very long time. All of it felt lazy and amateur and I definitely won’t be picking up more of this authors books.
Profile Image for Miglė.
Author 12 books353 followers
January 9, 2019
Kūrinio idėja gera, bet toks jausmas, kad su jos atlikimu kažkaip... persistengta.
Gerai, kad uždaryti kambaryje ir priversti spręsti nusikaltimą žmonės nežino, ką toliau darys juos uždaręs pamišėlis, bet nauji dalykai, kuriuos sužinome, atrodo toks overkill, kad tiesiog nelogiška (žinau, žinau, pAmIiIišĖėĖlis - na, bet vis tiek).

Pavyzdžiui, (labai dideli spoileriai!!!)

Kažkuo priminė John Katzenbach "Analitikas", niekuo nepriminė "užrakinto kambario" detektyvo, nors jie ir yra užrakintame kambaryje.
Visai nieko knyga, bet įsijausti ir suprasti trukdo neįtikima ir savitikslė megalomanija.
Profile Image for Sandie Bishop.
399 reviews17 followers
May 5, 2019
I'm very late reviewing this book, I do apologise - and it is me who is feeling very sore at not having done so before as I have been missing out on a great book.
The focus of the story is a 39 year old TV celebrity named Morgan Sheppard, someone akin to Jeremy Kyle in my mind as I read the story. Morgan shot to fame as a young man having hit the headlines as a promising detective following the death of his school teacher. An event which has had him seeing a therapist ever since. But someone seems to have an issue with his celebrity status. Someone who has gone to extreme lengths to ensure that the public know the truth about Morgan Sheppard.
Morgan finds himself having been abducted, held captive and handcuffed to a hotel room bed. As he stirs, he realises he is not alone in the room however he is the only one in handcuffs. As the other people come to, they all realise that they have all been drugged and brought to this location: a hotel room in Central London.
He is just trying to work out what is going on, the TV switches on, and a figure appears on screen wearing a horse head mask explaining that it is up to Morgan to solve another crime; but this time he has a time limit. There's a body in the bathroom, the suite is locked down so that means that the murderer is one of the people in the room is responsible. And if Morgan doesn't work out who killed the man, a bomb will detonate and he will then be to blame for the consequences- and the world will know that Morgan is not the crack detective he purports to be.
I'm not going to review the details of how the crime scene pans out, that would ruin the book for future readers, but there is a lot of soul searching among all the characters who have been brought together in the hotel room. It's a clever plot for a book and I thoroughly enjoyed trying to work out the whys, hows and whos of the situation.
I definitely recommend it, as the suspense racks up and everyone of the people in the room is a suspect - they all have equal motive and opportunity to be the killer. But how is Morgan supposed to work it out when ultimately all he is is a high profile TV presenter. Someone wants Morgan cut down to size, but with an ego the size he has, will he come clean and admit his shortcomings?
With an easy to read style, Chris McGeorge has a great novel here and I am surprised I haven't seen more about this book since its release. I also think it would work really well as a TV mini series.
Profile Image for Robyn.
1,654 reviews115 followers
January 6, 2022
GUESS WHO
Chris McGeorge

My New Year's resolution is to clear my TBR list and stop putting books on it until I do. YEAH right, like that is really going to happen. But I go back to work Monday, so am doing everything I can to make this happen!

GUESS WHO is on my list, alright, at the top of the list but I am working my way to the bottom! This book's premise is certainly intelligent and seemed to promise an immersive read into the locked room mystery idea of saving yourself or dying.

Shepard wakes up in this hotel room with others and is told that he has to solve a murder in three hours or they all die. OH... did I mention that one of the people he wakes up with is dead, in the bathtub. At least that is where I would put my dead body if was in a hotel room, or probably anywhere else if there was one. I wasn't sure that any of the people locked in the room actually deserved to live or if they would be missed if they didn't, they were just that unlikeable.

Had it not been for the split timeline and the flashback to when Shepard was a child and the murder that he solved, I might not have hung on. McGeorge depends on the reader, or actually, he probably assumes that the reader will pick up the clues as they go. This is the case that Shepard made his reputation so pay attention.

The plot is quite twisty, lagged at times, and then picked up speed to a neck-breaking rate which sort of pulled me to the edge of my seat. At times I thought I figured it out, and then something would change and I had to start over. Who is the bad guy is clear, but it is only from the point of view of the viewer. So every character in the book can be viewed in that light and be considered to be a bad guy... so oH what a tangled web McGeorge weaves! I did appreciate the supporting reasons of all of the evil.. brilliant it was. The very ending was not as good, but strings have to be tied up. So at times, I was very entertained and then at others, I found my attention wandering.

4 stars (3.7 actually)

Happy Reading!

Profile Image for Tracy Fenton.
889 reviews166 followers
April 22, 2018
My Review: Guess Who is a brilliant page turner which kept me guessing and I didn’t work it out until the actual reveal.

A simple yet brilliantly plotted story about Morgan Sheppard a TV detective famous for his morning TV show “Resident Detective” who wakes up handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room with five strangers and one dead body.

Sheppard has three hours to work out who the murderer is before they all die, however all the suspects are somehow connected to the victim especially Sheppard who is struggling to deal with reality without his alcohol and pills and an overwhelming guilt of his connection to the dead body.

The author skilfully takes the reader back to Sheppard’s past in little snippets throughout the story which help unravel the truth or does it?

A throughly exciting and gripping whodunnit which I totally recommend.
Profile Image for Kate.
1,622 reviews321 followers
March 23, 2018
This is one of those brilliant thrillers where you think you know where you're heading and then BOOM!!!! A fantastic premise and it more than delivers on it. Hugely entertaining and not a book that's easily put down when started. You may have to suspend your powers of disbelief at times but I was more than happy to do that. Review to follow closer to publication.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 756 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.