Start by marking “Guess Who” as Want to Read:
Guess Who

Guess Who

A debut thriller that offers a fresh, modern twist on the classic "locked room" mystery novel, for readers of Noah Hawley and Jeffery Deaver

The rules are simple.

But the game is not.

At eleven years old, Morgan Sheppard solved the murder of a teacher when everyone else believed it to be a suicide. The publicity surrounding the case laid the foundation for his reputation as a
Published September 18th 2018 by Hanover Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Guess Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guess Who

Paromjit
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chris McGeorge's debut psychological thriller drops the reader into the locked room syndrome with six people amidst whom walks a killer, and a corpse in the bathroom. Morgan Sheppard is a notoriously famous TV resident detective, in a show of a similiar ilk to the ghastly Jeremy Kyle Show, who decides who is telling the truth amongst characters accused of being cheats and more. This is a gig he acquired on the back of his history as a child, when at the tender age of 11 years old, he solved the ...more
Kendall
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Wow.. Guess Who is an interesting ride!

Bringing back Saw ladies and gents........

Let's meet Sheppard.. he's a famous true crime detective who wakes up handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room. Sheppard is not alone in this hotel room... he is accompanied by Mandy, Alan, Constance, Ryan, and another nameless girl wearing headphones. Just to add one more thing to a mix... a dead body is laying in the bathroom.

A mysterious horse-masked man appears on the television in the hotel room. He gives Sheppar
Krystin Rachel
Book Blog | Bookstagram

Opening Hook: Basically a classic Kesha song
Main Character: If Maury and Robert Stack had a baby, but that baby was drunk all the time
Plot Twisty-ness: Jigsaw would be proud

I went into this novel with every intention of loving it completely. I swear to Thor. But okay, obviously I didn’t completely get there. Story of my life. No one is shocked.

Guess Who started off as a five-star read until I passed the halfway mark and that’s when things fell off the chart. For the first
Liz Barnsley
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the most fun I’ve had with a crime novel in AGES. It is literally like a game of Guess Who but with blood and death and destruction and a hotel room you just can’t escape from – all the suspects are there along with a dead body and all they have to do is work out which of them is a killer. Simple. Or not…

Guess Who is an intelligent, immersive whodunnit – most excellent plotting allows you to solve the mystery if you are paying attention but distracts you with things like blood and hyster
Linda Strong
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
When Morgan Sheppard wakes up, he finds that he is handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room he's never seen before. All around him are bodies ... 5 of them to be exact ... all living, but just as confused as he is. There is a dead body in the tub in the bathroom. One of the people in that room is a killer and he has exactly 3 hours to figure out who the killer is. If he doesn't find the killer, they will all die.

So begins a take on the locked room mysteries of old.

This is a well-written complex story
Darinda
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A group of strangers awakens in a locked hotel room, and soon discovers a dead body in the room with them. To escape the room, they are tasked with identifying the killer, who is one of them.

The main character, Morgan Sheppard, hosts a detective show on television. He is the primary target of the madman who has kidnapped them and locked them in a room with a corpse. The kidnapper appears on the room’s TV to address the strangers, and tells Shappard that to prove he is a good detective, he needs
Dennis
Saw meets Agatha Christie, in Chris McGeorge's debut tale Guess Who . Morgan Sheppard is a famous television detective, made notorious after figuring out a murder when he was a child. Flash-forward to the present day, Morgan is now living the life of an A-list celebrity in the UK. His television career has become more sensationalized as time progressed—think Maury, but probably classier. Morgan has wealth and he has fame, but consequently, that also creates enemies and rivalries. Morgan wakes u ...more
Kim ~ Traveling Sister
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The story opens up with local celebrity Morgan Sheppard waking handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room with five people he does not know. All five of the people in the room have no idea how they have gotten there, or so they say. One of them must because they are a killer. There is a dead body in the bathtub and someone knows how it got there. It is up to Sheppard to find out who. Or they all die.

How is that for an opening? Absolutely intriguing right? It drew me right into the story. Unfortunately
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
Whoever is writing the synopses for his books should get a raise! I'm serious I had to read this book like immediately after reading that synopsis. I was a little scared though that it wouldn't live up to the high expectations I acquired after reading it but it got pretty damn close. Definitely not a bad start for a debut! My only complaint really is that all of the characters were so unlikable I didn't really have anyone to root for. If they all died in that room it really wouldn't have made on ...more
Lieblingsleseplatz
Escape Room ist ein Buch, das schon seit September ungeduldig auf meinem Lesestapel auf seinen Einsatz wartet. Ich bin damals sofort darauf angesprungen, weil ich ja so unheimlich gerne EXIT-Spiele spiele..

Mein Traum wäre es ja, mal in so einem Live-Escape-Room eingeschlossen zu werden! Allerdings ohne echtes Blut…
A Propos Blut… ein Wort zum Cover: genial, oder? Meine kleine Tochter hat tatsächlich kurz aufgeschrien, weil sie dachte, an dem Buch klebt echt Blut! Kompliment an die Cover-Designer.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Guess Who has an interesting premise, that has been positioned by others as 'Agatha Christie meets Saw', so I was immediately excited. I loved the concept that strangers wake up in a hotel room together with a dead body and have a limited amount of time to figure out 'whodunnit' before disaster strikes. Unfortunately for me, that's where my enjoyment of the book ended.

While the overall plot was intriguing, I had a hard time with the execution. I never connected with any of the characters, in fa
Odette Knappers
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, dnf
Het is echt wel een prima thriller met een goed en interessant plot. Maar ik ben halverwege, en andere boeken van mijn stapel trekken me veel meer omdat ik de klik met de personages mis. Ik heb dit de laatste tijd vaker met thrillers, misschien moet ik eens leren om even een tijdje geen thriller meer te lezen...
Katie
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I was in the mood for a light-hearted puzzle mystery book and this recently published “locked room” mystery seemed to fit the bill. A TV host detective with secrets in his past wakes up handcuffed in a hotel room and tasked with figuring out which of the five other kidnapped people in the room murdered the corpse in the bathroom. If he doesn’t solve the murder in three hours, his mysterious captor seen only on a TV screen threatens to blow up the whole building. I read the book all in one day an ...more
Rheama
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
At the age of eleven, Morgan Sheppard solved a homicide and has been riding the subsequent wave of Boy Wonder fame ever since. Decades later, a masked man challenges Sheppard’s detective skills. He wakes up sealed in a hotel room with five strangers. There’s a dead body in the bathtub, and Sheppard is given three hours to figure out who did it. If he fails, there will be dire consequences.

This Saw-like premise is enticing enough to ensure you’ll read to the end. We must unlock the secrets of thi
P42
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
description

RECENZJA już na kanale! http://bit.ly/p42escape

+ najbardziej ucieszyło mnie to, że książka nie jest tylko o tym, że szóstka bohaterów jest zamknięta w pokoju i mają wskazać mordercę
+ cały wątek retrospekcji i tajemnicy z przeszłości
+ niesamowicie angażująca fabuła
+ nic nie jest ani czarne ani białe
MUSZĘ SIĘ POCHWALIĆ, ŻE POPRAWNIE WYTYPOWAŁEM MORDERCĘ! ^_^
- zakończenie dość mało spektakularne, nadal środek książki najlepszy
- początek książki jest po prostu nudnawy, może niesłusznie zniechęcić d
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
So here's the thing. I was in it to win it with this book. Had me captured from the first page.. and then about 3/4 of the way in… I was like waiiiit a minuuuteee… is this like SAW but NOT? And luckily it didn't go quite in the direction that I thought it would but it did veer in a completely different direction that I didn't expect (serious kudos for that) but also like WHAT?!

The short chapters keep you moving quickly through the book. I LOVE hating on characters and I absolutely hated on Shep
Bridget
"The rules are simple......

But the game is not."

Wow. Wild ride does not do this justice! Guess Who is reminiscent of the famed Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None with an intensity of a thriller on steroids! And trust me, you will be trying to guess who all the way to the end!

Morgan Sheppard, a TV detective, wakes up handcuffed to a pole, in a locked hotel room with 5 strangers and 1 dead body. If that isn't bad enough, up pops the TV screen with an unknown, masked messenger informing She
Jilles
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
The plot seems exciting but is ridiculous, but what else is new in the latest trend of thrillers full of twists, unsympathetic characters and hardly no suspense. The more plot has to be explained in this book, the more messy it becomes with all these unbelievable twists. After being locked up in a room with a body and 5 people, one of which is the killer, and only 3 hours to solve the murder otherwise the whole building will be blown up, our flawed drugs and alcohol addicted hero starts to inves ...more
Susen liest
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In zwei Tagen durchgesuchtet - das sagt schon mal viel aus ;D
"Escape Room" ist eine Mischung aus Cluedo und Escape Room, wie der Name schon sagt. Man hat sechs Leute, die in einem Hotelzimmer aufwachen, eine Leiche und den "Gamemaster", der immer mal zu ihnen spricht. Die Aufgabe: eine der Personen, der abgehalfterte TV-Star Morgan Sheppard, muss den Mord aufklären und einen der Mitgefangenen als Mörder benennen. Wenn er das nicht schafft, werden alle nach drei Stunden sterben.
Ich fand die Stor
Casey
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I disliked the main character, figured out the killer was within the first hundred pages, since the interview scene was just too obvious, and found this book to be a bit absurd, I liked it more than I expected and shall rate it 3.5 stars! I love authors that start their books off hot and heavy and do not get tired half way through, and that is exactly what Chris McGeorge did. Guess Who was a fun thriller and I enjoyed what a fast paced read this novel was because each chapter ended with me ...more
Galadrielė
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
☆4.25/5☆
Miglė
Kūrinio idėja gera, bet toks jausmas, kad su jos atlikimu kažkaip... persistengta.
Gerai, kad uždaryti kambaryje ir priversti spręsti nusikaltimą žmonės nežino, ką toliau darys juos uždaręs pamišėlis, bet nauji dalykai, kuriuos sužinome, atrodo toks overkill, kad tiesiog nelogiška (žinau, žinau, pAmIiIišĖėĖlis - na, bet vis tiek).

Pavyzdžiui, (labai dideli spoileriai!!!) (view spoiler)
Tiffany PSquared
I did not enjoy this book. I felt it was too derivative - specifically of the movie, Saw. And the dual timeline fell apart toward the end, making the story feel disjointed and, at one point, like you had entered a different (almost better) story altogether.

I felt like I labored through the second half of the book - already knowing who the perpetrators were and just waiting for the MC to realize it. Turns out, surprise! I was right and the denouement was no surprise, but more than that - it wasn'
Amanda
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can also read my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Guess Who is a title that I have had for months, but just recently decided to read. I love playing detective when reading murder mystery novels and I saw that this one was classified as a whodunit mystery, meaning one that the reader can figure out. While reading I tried really hard to figure the mystery out, but I didn’t guess correctly. Guess Who reminded me of the Saw movies. A celebrity detective, Morgan Sheppard, and 5
Nicki
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five people,one hotel room,a dead body in the bathroom and only three hours for Morgan Sheppard to figure out who the killer is amongst them or they are all going to die.That's the simple premise to this intricately plotted tale of deception,secrets,manipulation and revenge.It has more twists and turns and grips the reader just as tightly as the largest,fastest roller coaster.I admit you do have to suspend your imagination at times whilst reading it but hey,it's a fictional story.You want things ...more
Tracy Fenton
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review: Guess Who is a brilliant page turner which kept me guessing and I didn’t work it out until the actual reveal.

A simple yet brilliantly plotted story about Morgan Sheppard a TV detective famous for his morning TV show “Resident Detective” who wakes up handcuffed to a bed in a hotel room with five strangers and one dead body.

Sheppard has three hours to work out who the murderer is before they all die, however all the suspects are somehow connected to the victim especially Sheppard who is
Kate
This is one of those brilliant thrillers where you think you know where you're heading and then BOOM!!!! A fantastic premise and it more than delivers on it. Hugely entertaining and not a book that's easily put down when started. You may have to suspend your powers of disbelief at times but I was more than happy to do that. Review to follow closer to publication.
Dini Van heumen-hoekman
Met dank aan Luitingh-Sijthoff voor het vooruitexemplaar.

Een gesloten kamer, een lijk, vijf verdachten en drie uur om de moordenaar te vinden staat er op de achterflap.
Kortom alle ingrediënten voor een spannende thriller.
Chris McGeorge begon deze thriller voor zijn scriptie voor zijn master creatief schrijven.
De titel die hij bedacht had was oorspronkelijk Deadroom en het werd Guess Who. De Nederlandse titel, Tik Tak.

Morgan Sheppard heeft als 11-jarige de moord op zijn wiskundeleraar opgelost te
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Orion Publishing Group for an advance copy of Guess Who, a stand alone thriller set in a hotel room, somewhere in London.

Television presenter Morgan Sheppard wakes up handcuffed to a pole in a hotel room in London. As he gradually comes to he realises there are 5 other people in the room with him and a dead body in the bath. Then the television comes alive and and a man in a horse's head mask tells Sheppard he has 3 hours to find the murderer or the entire hot
Robin Loves Reading
Please see all of my reviews on my blog at https://www.robinlovesreading.com.

A murder puzzle. Three hours or they all die. Six people locked in a hotel room. Morgan Sheppard and five others, Alan, Mandy, Constance, Ryan and a young girl referred to as Headphones. These are all complete strangers to Morgan, the Resident Detective on a popular TV show, yet he has the unenviable task of solving the murder of a dead man in the bathroom before time runs out.

It doesn’t take Sheppard long to discover
  • Pendulum (Pendulum Trilogy, #1)
  • Syria Speaks: Art and Culture from the Frontline
  • The Hands of Strangers
  • Impasse
  • The Painted Gun
  • Broken Places (A Chicago Mystery #1)
  • The Confession
  • The Pool House
  • The Bone Keeper
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • Tarnished
  • Embrace the Grim Reaper (Grim Reaper Mystery, #1)
  • In Bloom (Sweetpea, #2)
  • A Gentleman's Murder
  • The Tall Man
  • Season Of The Jew (New Zealand Wars, #1)
  • African Samurai: The True Story of a Legendary Black Warrior in Feudal Japan
  • Losing Lauren (Detective Rachel Storme #2)