Start by marking “A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas (Gold Valley, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas (Gold Valley, #4)

A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas

(Gold Valley #4)

It’s Christmas in Gold Valley, and this wounded widower is about to get another shot at love…

Grant Dodge didn’t expect to find a woman sleeping in an abandoned cabin on his family ranch. Or to find her so intriguing. Unlike every other woman in town, McKenna Tate doesn’t know Grant’s a widower. There’s no pity in the looks she gives him. McKenna wants him, and Grant has
Mass Market Paperback, 476 pages
Published September 25th 2018 by HQN

To ask other readers questions about A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas

Start your review of A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas (Gold Valley, #4)
Melissa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, 2018, predictable
It’s that time of year, Lifetime and Hallmark setting out to woo watchers with their hard-core press of holiday themed previews on a constant loop. And you know what, it actually worked. Lifetime grabbed the attention of this avoider of overly cheerful and saccharine storylines, for one reason initially—the casting of One Tree Hill alum—and now I can’t seem to stop. *wink*

Caught-up in a binge-fest of holiday movies, and being a fan of Maisey Yates's previous series, made this an effortless
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
It’s a no from me, dawg
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Happy Sunday and happy December! I am on my branching out tour right now and I read a Christmas romance book that is firmly in the romance category (none of those romance thrillers or romance mysteries I’ve tested the waters with). This book was charming and adorable! A fun Christmas read for those looking for a little getaway from life to the Get out of Dodge ranch for a few days.

This is the fourth in Maisey Yates’ Gold Valley books, and though I haven’t read the others, it seems that each
Jessica
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher (Harlequin) as part of their Bookstagram Christmas mailing.

This was my first time reading Maisey Yates and I throughly enjoyed it. I obviously haven’t read any of the other books in this series, but that did not hinder my reading experience. I was able to read this as a standalone with no problems.

I loved Grant. He was a tall, dark cowboy with a tragic past. So swoon worthy.

description

Plot-wise, the storyline was pretty good. It was well paced and the
Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas gives us a lovely Christmas feel from the ranch Grant lives on, to the town, and all it’s people.

I had fun with my first Maisey Yates novel. A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas is book four in the Gold Valley series, but it can read as a stand alone. I didn’t feel lost or like I was missing things. The author did a great job blending the previous characters and couples into the story, that they felt like they belonged, and it was ok that I hadn’t read about them
With Christmas trees popping up at stores around town and the Hallmark Channel promoting their Christmas movie lineup, I couldn't say no to a holiday-themed new release. Yes, I know it's not even Halloween yet. What can I say? I'm susceptible to holiday cheer.

A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas is the fourth installment in Maisey Yates's western romance series titled Gold Valley. I read it out of order as a standlone with no issue. It features a lonely heroine looking towards a hopeful future and a
"Avonna
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

A TALL, DARK COWBOY CHRISTMAS (A Gold Valley Novel #4) by Maisey Yates is a contemporary holiday romance. This is an addition to the Gold Valley series and does have many characters crossing over from previous books in the series. The H/h romance can be read as a standalone, but I feel some of the backstory and character interactions are better understood if you have read this series in order.

McKenna Tate was given away by her
♥Rachel♥
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I’ve been waiting for Grant’s story for some time. I always felt bad for the sullen cowboy who married and lost his high school sweetheart, but that’s exactly the kind of feelings of pity Grant hated.

Mckenna comes along and doesn’t know anything about his past, and she’s got her own sad story and troubles to deal with. Kindness on the part of Dodges is unexpected as McKenna has never experiencing a big loving family. McKenna yearns to fit in, belong, and be loved. Yet, it’s the
Aly
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to begin with the ending and say that this epilogue was one of the sweetest ! The gift and the note melt my heart and had me turning to goo ! I can't help but say this again and again and again, the feelings... Maisey Yates is one of the most skillful with it, in my opinion.

Grant Dodge knows how reality can slap you in the face and that life can be a cruel bitch. Years ago, at a young age, he lost the two most important women in his life; his mother and his wife. Not at the same time,
Beth
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Completely engaging, emotionally invested in the outcome, I couldn't help but love A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas.

Yates crafted an emotionally jarring tale of two people deeply scarred by life circumstances...but they still manage to have hope for the future. I loved how they managed to heal each other without all this unnecessary angst but focusing on change, making their lives better and not settling for anything less.

A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas will put you through the gambit of emotions and
Stacee
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve been waiting for Grant’s story since the first mention of his background.

I love love loved McKenna. She’s had an interesting life and maintained hope the entire time. I enjoyed her tenacity and strength. Grant was just as stoic as I was expecting, but he’s also a bit of a gooey marshmallow. I loved seeing McKenna push his buttons and while their chemistry wasn’t super apparent to me, I was there for it.

Plot wise, it did get a bit slow at points. There’s a lot more inner monologue than
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posting 12/11/18)
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2MjYMN4

Christmas and grumbly cowboys? Yes, please! lol

A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas was a heart touching romance that had me wiping away some pesky tears, laughing, and rooting for two damaged yet strong individuals.

The Gist: Grant's found a woman sleeping in an abandoned cabin on his property. Turns out she's homeless and a bit prickly. Suits him just fine since he's a bit of an asshole, too. Might be
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
Sweet story, good narration especially if you like Julia Whelan - because Suzanne Elise Freeman sure does sound like her!
Susan
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story about two emotionally wounded people. Grant finds McKenna sleeping in an abandoned cabin on the family property. Both he and McKenna have had rough pasts that have affected the way they deal with other people.

Grant is a bit of a loner, even in his own family. He lost his mother when he was young and dealt with the pain by taking it out on other people. He was an obnoxious bully until he met Lindsay, who was assigned to tutor him. Her belief in him helped him change. They fell in love
Teresa (Reads_Romance)
Maisey Yates is one of my favorite new-to-me authors of 2018. Her books always have heart, family, surprising depth, and cowboys. What more could I want? For the most part, I enjoyed this book, but it didn’t quite grab me like her previous books have.

Widows and widowers who were in previous happy relationships are always hard for me to read about, mostly because it’s sad right from the beginning. The fact that Grant, our hero, selflessly loved his wife for eight years until she tragically died
Prerana
Nov 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, ugh-romance
LMFAOOOOOOO.

This ain't it, chief. This was so far from the move that I don't even know what to say. Actually, I found it mildly entertaining because it was so bad.

I'm an absolute sucker for cute, light, fluffy holiday romances. Add on a cowboy? Yeah, I'm going to read it. However, my expectations are never high; I just want to feel warm and fuzzy.

How did this inept book fail at reaching this incredibly low bar? Let me give you a list.

1. Utterly useless, unlikeable characters.
2. No real plot!
Mitsubachi
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fun and nice read! I haven't ever read any of those romance novels about Cowboys. As someone from Europe and not born in the times of Western movies, it is a rather foreign concept for me. Yet I thought this Christmas-Cowboy-mix sounded interesting and I was right! It is a good story, I was entertained and enjoyed it.

But that doesn't mean that I can't have points that I didn't like or that didn't make sense.
First of all, I didn't like the character development of our grumpy cowboy. He
Eva Millien
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grant Dodge didn’t expect to find the woman he found sleeping in an abandoned cabin on his family ranch to be so intriguing. Grant has forgotten what it’s like to feel like a man and McKenna wants him, she doesn’t pity him for his being a widower. McKenna came to Gold Valley to confront her birth father and she had no plan to work at the Dodge ranch or fall for the gorgeous cowboy who keeps his heart roped off.

This cowboy romance is one powerfully emotional romance that captures readers by the
AliciaJ
Hot, but sweet. I really loved the developing romance between the two characters. I loved how spunky and honest McKenna was, that even as she would try to convince others she was a tough, uncaring person, she knew the truth about herself. And I loved how she didn't let Grant get away with his bullcrap either. Each time he tried to push her away by being a butthead, she called him on it and just brought things into the open.
I think one of my favorite scenes was (view spoiler)
Olivia
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-reviews
"A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas" was a great Christmas-themed romance that follows two unlikely people on their journey to love. Grant Dodge has been wallowing in loneliness. He frequently drinks himself to sleep at night and is generally very grouchy. He married his high school sweetheart when they were 18, and they had a rough marriage- not because of fighting or anything like that, but because she had terminal cancer. After 8 years of caring for her, he lost her to the disease. It's been 8 ...more
Terri
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version of this book and man was it good! Both of the main characters are pretty damaged. Grant became a widower at a young age and just doesn't want anything to do with anyone and certainly doesn't want to be in love ever again. McKenna is really down on her luck. Life has been really hard for her. She's looking for the feeling of belonging that she's never really had. Love would be awesome, but she's not sure she even believes in it.
When the two are thrown together,
Kay (aka) Miss Bates
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Maisey Yates opens Gold Valley romance #4 with the line “Grant Dodge was alone. And that was how he liked it”, ensuring the reader that Grant Dodge is about to NOT be alone and that his hold on his solitude is to be shaken by the heroine. Said heroine, McKenna Tate, is blithely slumbering in an abandoned cabin on the ranch Grant shares with his brother Wyatt, sister-in-law Lindy, and sometimes-around veterinarian brother Bennett and sister-in-law, Kaylee. A “full house” of family and ...more
Maureen
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cowboy, romance, christmas
When I finished reading the books I planned on reading for the HoHoHo Readathon with some time left, I decided I wanted to read another Christmas book. So when I saw ‘A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas’ by Maisey Yates I immediately knew this was the book I wanted to read. I’ve read several Maisey Yates books, and loved them all so I couldn’t be more excited to start reading this one.

In ‘A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas’ we meet Grant Dodge. Grant has been living his life in solitude for the last eight
Christi Snow
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Review:
Finally we get Grant's story...and OMG, it did not disappoint. But what was surprising is that McKenna's story was so much more heartbreaking than even Grant's was. This book has so much emotion in it...and yes, I actually cried through one scene in this book...a sign of a good book in my opinion.

Grant has been the tragic figure throughout this entire story. He married his high school sweetheart, although she had cancer, but they had 8 years together before that happened. That was 8
Carma
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-but-not-read
I knew when I first “met” Grant I wanted to know his story. After reading A Tall Dark Cowboy Christmas it not only met my expectations, it exceeded them ten-fold. Grant Dodge touched my soul through the wonderful words of Maisey Yates, and had me feeling like I was along for the ride from his first words.

Grant Dodge was used to the pity head tilts, the supportive hand touches, the tsking and awwing whenever he was spoken to. He was Grant Dodge, widower. No longer just Grant or even just Grant
Kayla Brunson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018, arc
“It’s amazing how two broken people can fix each other.”

I’m torn in the middle on this one guys! While it did have a main character and aspects that I loved, Grant is the reason why I couldn’t love it. I know, I know. Honestly, I did it to myself. I read a topic that I don’t normally like (widowed) because I love the Dodge family so much.

Mckenna Y’all, I loved her so damn much! Even with everything that she went through, this girl had the biggest heart. She was smart and knew what she wanted.
Beth ~ Panda & Boodle
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
She wasn’t sure if they locked together in place perfectly, or if they could ever be fully healed. But at least they weren’t alone in being broken. Their pieces were all mixed together, and somehow, somehow that worked.

Hands down, my new favorite Maisey Yates book. I don’t think I could have loved A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas more.

I knew Grant’s story would be a tough one—if you’ve read the earlier Dodge family books in Ms. Yates’ Gold Valley series, I suspect you’d agree. If not, never fear,
Julie (Jewlsbookblog)
Grant and McKenna experienced loss from different perspectives. What I found compelling was how they handled it. Not having anyone to ground and support her, McKenna tried growing a hard shell to insulate herself from hurt, yet subconsciously held out a sliver hope with each new interaction. Grant was surrounded by supportive family and a well-intentioned community, yet chose to isolate himself emotionally. Grant’s surly, gruff manner was a thin shield against McKenna’s sarcastically sunny ...more
Donna Repsher
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas is the fourth novel in Maisey Yates' Gold Valley series, and I've been eagerly awaiting Grant's story, as he's previously been introduced as one of the Dodge brothers in the earlier novels. If you're new to this series, I strongly suggest that you read the first three novels in the order written, to get to know the other members of the Dodge family and their relationships, as they appear as secondary characters in this novel. Although it can be read as a standalone, ...more
Christine
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This may be my favorite of the Gold Valley series, even if Grant is not my favorite Gold Valley hero. It is my favorite for two reasons: (1) virgin widower hero, y'all and (2) McKenna is a badass. McKenna firmly tells all the dudes - Grant, her birth father Hank, and her half brother Gabe - that she deserves better from them and she is absolutely right. Stand your ground, girl.

Another note: too many names sounded too similar. Grant's dead wife was named Lindsay and now he and McKenna work with
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Play Book Tag: A Tall, Dark Cowboy Christmas by Maisey Yates -- 4 stars 18 21 Dec 09, 2018 05:46AM

• Lone Star Christmas (Coldwater Texas, #1)
  • Snowbound at Christmas (Montana Men, #5.5)
  • Santa's on His Way
  • The Christmas Key (Twilight, Texas #9)
  • Mistletoe Miracles (Ransom Canyon, #7)
  • Cowboy SEAL Christmas (Navy SEAL Cowboys, #3)
  • Season of Wonder (Haven Point, #9)
  • Hot Winter Nights (Heartbreaker Bay, #6)
  • Cowboy Honor (Longhorn Canyon #2)
  • Cowboy Rebel
  • The Christmas Dare (Twilight, Texas #10)
  • To Tame a Wild Cowboy (Cupid, Texas #7)
  • Driven to Distraction (Road to Love, #1)
  • Tempted by Love (Montana Heat, #3)
  • Playing for Keeps (Heartbreaker Bay, #7)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)
  • Cowboy Brave
  • Christmas in Winter Valley (Ransom Canyon, #8)
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then

Gold Valley (10 books)
  • Smooth-Talking Cowboy (Gold Valley, #1)
  • Untamed Cowboy (Gold Valley, #2)
  • Good Time Cowboy (Gold Valley, #3)
  • Unbroken Cowboy (Gold Valley, #5)
  • Cowboy to the Core (Gold Valley, #6)
  • Lone Wolf Cowboy (Gold Valley, #7)
  • Cowboy Christmas Redemption (Gold Valley, #8)
  • The Bad Boy of Redemption Ranch (Gold Valley, #9)
  • The Hero of Hope Springs (Gold Valley, #10)
“And sometimes circumstances spin out of your control. It has nothing to do with whether or not you're a good person.” 0 likes