Start by marking “Go Show the World: A Celebration of Indigenous Heroes” as Want to Read:
Go Show the World: A Celebration of Indigenous Heroes

Go Show the World: A Celebration of Indigenous Heroes

"We are a people who matter." Inspired by President Barack Obama's Of Thee I Sing, Go Show the World is a tribute to historic and modern-day Indigenous heroes, featuring important figures such as Tecumseh, Sacagawea and former NASA astronaut John Herrington.

Celebrating the stories of Indigenous people throughout time, Wab Kinew has created a powerful rap song, the lyrics
Published September 11th 2018 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Go Show the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Go Show the World

Lata
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wab Kinew sings about some incredible indigenous people, and the illustrations beautifully support the people and the recurring refrain of "You are people who matter, Yes, it's true."
Cheriee Weichel
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully illustrated book honours remarkable indigenous people from Canada and the United States. This sampling includes both historical as well as modern individuals.
The rhyming text didn’t quite work for me, but I love the refrain, “You’re a person who matters. Yes, it’s true. Now go show the world what a person who matters can do.”
The backmatter includes a note by the author as well as short biographies of the highlighted hero’s.
Sondra
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This would be good at the end of a unit to review some important figures. Maybe at the beginning to help decide who to research further. Beautiful artwork. I wanted more detail.
Leslie Basky
Beautiful picture book sharing a message of hope and empowerment to all Indigenous people.
Gail Roberts
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't love the text, but the info and pictures were great. There's a neat section in the back to give more bio info on the people mentioned in the book.
Engel Dreizehn
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and showcase of First Nations figures that doesn't sound like a stern lecture but rather feels more flowing and natural in narrative pacing and wording.
Barbra
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An inspiring look at heroes from the Indigenous People. Thirteen short but poignant biographies along with bold illustrations bring to life each unique and important historical story. A wonderful book for young readers from every walk of life to contemplate what makes a hero.
Sunday Cummins
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trying to expand my world by seeking out nonfiction titles from publishers outside of the U.S. Came across this title because it made the 2019 Outstanding International Books list for USBBY.

The author, Wab Kinew, is member of the indigenous group Midewin, an activist and politician, and lives in Canada. He is also musician (rap/hip hop) and you can watch him sing versions of this song on YouTube.

The book references indigenous people who are "heroes" (past and present) for all communities. Some
Michelle
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, fnim
Wow. Just wow. Very powerful words and imagery. I didn't think I would have been moved by this, but the message was so full of pride and heart that I felt I could weep. All walks of life have Indigenous heroes been in our history in Canada and it was showcased well. Each person even has a write up in the back of their history and roles.
Laurelei
Inspiring and relevant to modern times, yet easily weaves in historical figures. Spans across nations and cultures without collapsing difference. The art is fantastic and importantly portrays each person differently. The rhymes will keep the attention of children.
Recommended for children 4 - 9.
Syntha Green
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book, excellent intro to Native Americans some children might not have heard of before, beautiful illustrations
Virginia
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, library
If I could give this more than 5 stars, I would!
Veronica
An important and wonderful book. Go Show the World: A Celebration of Indigenous Heroes is a beautiful, colourful, illustrated look into some Indigenous heroes from both past and present.
Spanning history, sports, culture and science, the book introduces us to Indigenous people who have paved the way/made a difference. Not only wonderful for Indigenous children to see their own people reflected in a positive light, but informative for everyone.

The illustrations are drawn with colour and strong li
Vickie T
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: indians
I liked the people he includes but i did not care for the rhymes.
Lindoula
Disclaimer: I won an advance review copy of this book from LibraryThing.

This book is a fantastic example of children's nonfiction. Highly recommended! The text and artwork complement each other beautifully. I especially like that there's a mix of indigenous role models from various time periods and across North America. Often works like this focus on glorious days of ol' but not much of the recent history. It can leave kids feeling like there's nothing great about indigenous cultures now, which
Karen
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The lyrics of Wab Kinew’s rap song form the text of this book, illustrated by Joe Morse, that celebrates inspiring Indigenous people past and present, both Canadian and American. I’m sure you’ve heard of NHL goalie Carey Price, but have you ever heard of Dr. Susan LaFlesche Picotte? Or Francis Pegahmagabow? Or Waneek Horn-Miller? Despite being stabbed by a soldier’s bayonet during the Oka crisis, this Mohawk woman won a gold medal for Canada at the 1999 Pan Am games. Pegahmagabow was the most hi ...more
Linda
In a tribute to historic and modern-day Indigenous heroes, Wab Kinew writes of native figures such as Tecumseh, Sacagawea and former NASA astronaut John Herrington. He's done it in a rap song, with this message used as a refrain as each person takes his or her place in the book: "We are people who matter, yes, it's true; now let's show the world what people who matter can do." The illustrated paintings by Joe Morse also celebrate these people page by wonderful page. It includes figures such as ...more
Abbiesworldofbooks
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of Go Show the World by Wab Kinew in exchange for a honest review.

I’m so happy I was given a chance to review this book! The illustrations are beautiful and each page is filled with the stories of so many different Indigenous Heroes. From Sacagawea who healed Lowis and Clark when they were almost dead; to Dr. Evan Adams who lives his life as the chief medical officer for his hospital while also being an actor. I can’t wait to have my teaching degree so I can share it with all
Chels Patterson
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I wanted very much to like this book, but like Obama’s children book I flung the proses very choppy and an after thought to the refrain (which I very much loved.) it’s just a little off beat when reading it you almost have to read back. It losses if you are meant to be like those noted or a history lesson on them. The illustrations are amazing! So much detail, watch the shadows they are inspired! I feel it could have been better with an edit or two.
Hadi
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I went to talk/book launch at the TPL with Wab Kinew and Joe Morse ... and bought two copies of this: one for my niece and one for myself. It's gorgeous book, great illustrations and a wonderful refrain. There's short bios of every person in the back and nice to see that both indigenous women and men are fairly represented.
Debbie
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely story in rhyme about indiginous heroes and heroines. My only beef is some of my heroes are missing: E. Pauline Johnson, Chief Dan George, Shetland Watt-Cloutier, Graham Greene, Richard Wagamese. I could go on, but I guess a picture book doesn't allow for an in depth review.
Recommended.
Roger
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
It's like a catalog of successful or influential indigenous people. None of them individually are presented in enough depth to stand out from the others, and there's an odd transition to the future that seems misplaced in the flow. But still, great concept and enjoyable illustrations.
Wayne Inkster
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read, as it is a children's picture book. Kinew did a great job to identify and celebrating Indigenous leaders, heroes and role models. Set in poetic form, this book guides the reader into brief glimpses of amazing Indigenous individuals, past and present. Beautifully illustrated as well.
Kelly
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book outlines various Native American heroes. Very good book.
Dreaday
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is drawn so creepy. Why.
Racheal
I love the positive message, and the illustrations are interesting and unique, but the text is kind of awkward and just barely skates over each person it mentions without giving many details.
Tracie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This works features Indigenous people and breathtaking illustrations.
Jeffrey
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Wonderful premise but who is this book for - where are great indigenous Canadians like Tom Longboat or Buffy Sainte-Marie? Cindy Blackstock?
Andrea
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely beautiful book that everyone should read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Wab Kinew was named by Postmedia News as one of “9 Aboriginal movers and shakers you should know.” He is the Associate Vice-President for Indigenous Relations at The University of Winnipeg and a correspondent with Al-jazeera America.

After successfully defending Joseph Boyden’s The Orenda on CBC’s Canada Reads literary competition, he was named the 2015 host. In 2012, he also hosted the acclaime
“We are people who matter.
Yes, it's true.
Now let's show the world what people who matter can do.”
0 likes