Start by marking “Rescuing the Receiver (How to Score, #2)” as Want to Read:
Rescuing the Receiver (How to Score, #2)

Rescuing the Receiver

(How to Score #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
From the author of the critically acclaimed Blue Plate series comes the second novel in the How To Score series about a rescue dog shelter owner and a wide receiver who needs a little rescuing himself.

Caught between the media’s crosshairs and his own questionable decisions, Colorado Blizzards wide receiver Chris Lalonde has a choice: watch his storied career burn to the gr
Kindle Edition
Published June 11th 2018 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Rescuing the Receiver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rescuing the Receiver

Stacee
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve enjoyed all of Rachel’s other books, so I’m at the point where I don’t even read the synopsis before starting them.

I really liked Hazel and Chris. They’re both really good people and I loved how their differences complemented each other. Their relationship advanced naturally and it was refreshing to see that they got to know each other before succumbing to the chemistry.

Plot wise, there was a fair amount of push and pull and a tad more drama than I would have liked. There was some good co
Scandal (Scandalicious Book Reviews)
I think it's safe to say Carmela is a fan of the How to Score series in general but you know...the doggies! Check out her full review on Scandalicious Book Reviews:
Rachel Goodman
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rescuing the Receiver is available now!! Woot.
Becky Burciaga
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As the second book in this series, that hooked me from its onset with Incepting the Chef, I'm completely captivated once again with Ms Goodman's remarkable and vivid realism portrayed on and off the football field.

The complexity of the transformations that transpired between Chris and Hazel drove the stories intensity as a juxtaposition to the humor and wit that also weaved itself throughout the story, giving it multidimensional heart and warmth. The "Without risk, there's no reward" theme that
Michelle
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I spend a fair amount of time in the romance genre. I enjoy the different relationships tropes between two adults, trying to find their own way to each other, and ultimately discovering their own selves in the process.

Rachel Goodman is an author that I know I will get that type of story from. Despite the different walks of life that her characters are developed from, I can relate to them collectively as well as individually.

I enjoyed Hazel. She is strong and brave, bringing forth all the positi
Pelusa Rivera
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rcvd an ARC at no cost to author. (netgalley) This is the second book in this series and while I did enjoy some things got on my nerves. Really I think it was the heroine who annoyed the crap out of me she was so judgmental and obnoxious to me, while I prefer a strong woman I think this heroine Hazel was just a little too much. Then we have Chris, while yes he did some regrettable shady things I still liked him much more. I am glad that she ended up going after him in the end after they had thei ...more
Marissa Crawford
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Anytime Rachel Goodman puts out a new book, I have to read it as soon as possible. Her books balance romance with real-life situations and with the perfect amount of steaminess. The How to Score books also feature football which is an added bonus! Rescuing the Receiver checks all of these boxes. I loved having both Chris's and Hazel's points of view.

I don't have the hatre
Brianna
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5// loved this book!!! So adorable and the characters were so different and diverse. Loved how hazel owned a dog shelter and that dog calendar!!!! Ofc the football was done so well in this book and chris was such a unique perspective. Literally dogs and football is 😍😍😍
Julie Johanek
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved the dog aspect of this book. A great story with great characters!!!
Kristin
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Chris finds himself in some hot waters after he tests positive on a drug test. Until his date with the commissioner, he's tasked to help out at the local animal shelter. The owner of the team thinks that the arrangement will benefit not only Chris, who clearly needs to learn some humility, but his niece, who runs the shelter, as well. What starts off as a less than happy arrangement, slowly turns into something remarkable. Not only does Hazel help calm Chris and bring out a more relaxed side of ...more
Becky Hutchison
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
RESCUING THE RECEIVER, by Rachel Goodman, is the second book in the HOW TO SCORE series. It’s an entertaining romance about a too structured owner of a rescue shelter and a bad boy NFL receiver with an image problem.

Hazel Grant runs a shelter for abused and at-risk dogs in hopes that they can have a second chance at a forever home. Chris Lalonde also needs a second chance. His NFL career with the Denver Blizzards teeters on the edge of disaster after a drug test reveals traces of a substance he
BookAddict
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hazel, the owner of the Rescue Granted dog shelter, is underwhelmed when she first meets the Colorado Blizzards wide receiver, Chris, saying.” A stray just ambled in off the street, . . .And judging by his comically wide swagger, he probably needs to be neutered.” Of course Chris is cocky, charming and larger-than-life (i.e. full of himself), and as you can see, they’re not off to a great start. Chris needs to play nice, because he’s been ordered by the team owner to put in community service hou ...more
Downward dog
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book for Cocktails and Books. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I read the first book in the How to Score series and have been anxiously awaiting this second book. RESCUING THE RECEIVER is the next standalone book in the series and it is a heartwarming story with characters that are honest and real.

Chris Lelonde, a wide receiver with the Colorado Blizzards football team meets Hazel Grant when he voluntee
Pam
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rescuing the Receiver is about a cocky arrogant NFL wide receiver & the team owner's niece. Chris comes across as a immature "me first" player. This is "his" year. How could he do that to "him"? He seems to be easily angered, extreme & flies off the handle. As punishment for breaking a rule, Chris has to volunteer at Hazel's dog rescue. While there, Chris begins to go through some of life's lessons & slowly begins to change.

Hazel can't believe her uncle is saddling her with his prob
Miriam Wolfe
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a voluntary review of an advanced copy.

While the book is a romance book, it was also the journey that Chris and Hazel took to move beyond their pasts that were stunting their present behaviors and relationships. While each had a negative role model for their fathers, their response to that upbringing was different.

Chris struggled with anger management and put on a show while Hazel strived for security and routine. Fortunately, Chris not only brought her out of her routine but he helped h
Heather andrews
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chris tries to be a suave man, “among other things.” I slid my hand around to the nape of her neck, cradling her head in my palm, and leaned in, brushing my lips against hers. Teasing, promising, enticing. “Want to discover my other talents—” I'm telling ya Chris and Hazel argue a lot but seriously its all sexual tension, "...at least I don’t allow the fear of taking risks to hold me back from going after what I want. Do you even know what you want, Hazel?” Hazel knows how to drive her man wild, ...more
Jenn (YeahOrNeighReviews)
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, beta-arc
After the media crucifies him for poor life choices, wide receiver Chris Lalonde needs a way to get back in the public's good graces. He thinks by adopting a dog and volunteering at an animal shelter, he can do just that, but he wasn't expecting to cross paths with the owner of the shelter.
Hazel Grant doesn't have time for cocky athletes, her sole focus is on saving the shelter and animals she loves. The more time they spent together, the head-butting turns into an unlikely friendship and possib
Emily (alotabooks13)
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hazel runs her own dog shelter in offers volunteer spots. She gets the notorious Colorado Blizzard's wide receiver Chris Lalonde as one of her new volunteers. Hazel has enough to deal with, with her mom and business the last thing she needs is a drug taking NFL player.

Chris is trying to get his name back to being clean but with no one giving him the time will he be able to. Even when his teammates don't believe him.

While working together sparks fly, but will Grace risk it all to be with Chris?

G
Stephanie
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you love sports romance, bad boys and dogs this book is for you. When's Chris's coach orders him to volunteer at an animal shelter he is not happy. Neither is Hazel, the owner of the shelter. Hazel was a heroine I could see a bit of myself in. She's sweet, smart, a bit closed off and funny. Chris is everything you want in hero. I highly recommend putting this romance on your summer reading list.
Teresa
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
****3.5 Stars****

This book was cute in so many ways and the fact that it takes place in my home state of Colorado made it that much better! Football, rescue dogs and romance; where could you go wrong?! I can't wait to see which football player Goodman picks for book #3!
Thanks to Simon & Schuster for the ARC!
Cheryl
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Edelweiss for the ARC.. I really enjoyed watching Hazel and Chris develop their characters. The story was well written and had me cheering for the HEA! I am glad that I took a chance because now I'm going back to read the first in the series.
Alexandra Consolver
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 - 4 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy contemporary romance. Think a Hallmark movie (cheesy) with some steamy moments.

Chris Lalonde is Denver's most famous receiver for the Blizzards. When he is caught doping with performance enhancing drugs, the Blizzard's owner sentences Lalonde to time volunteering at Rescue Granted, a dog shelter for difficult cases. Little does Lalonde know, he can't sweet talk his way through the volunteer process. The owner Hazel Grant isn't about to let him half-ass hi
Jacki
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute and fun
This is my first book by Rachel Goodman.

What I liked:
The writing style
The characters
Dual POVs
Part of a series: How to Score
Standalone
HEA
Epilogue

I look forward to reading more from this author.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC from NetGalley.
Maggie
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, chick-lit, ebook, romance
I really enjoy Rachel Goodman's books. I like how she ties characters from different books together and it was nice to revisit some of these characters. I didn't quite like this heroine as much as some of Goodman's other characters, but it's still a fun, quick book.
Lana-White Hot Reads
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just loved this story. Football and puppies yes please. Hazel and Chris are the perfect match and a certain lovable dog brings them together. They have some issues that they have to work out but overall they rescue each other.
Carmela Constable
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
It’s the dogs who did it for me. Read my 4 star review over at Scandalicious Book Reviews here:

Vivienne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-roms
Somewhere between 2 and a half and 3 stars. Didn’t really connect with either MCs but yay for doggos.
Anita
Aug 22, 2018
C.J. Butcher
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series, being Intercepting the Chef the first. I have to say that this is the one where the second book is wayyy better than the first and that's usually not the case. I loved Chris Lalonde - he was arrogant, sexy and kind of a pain in the butt. Hazel is the all-around girl next door, with your average hang-ups. I fell in love with this couple right off the bat. They had some smoking chemistry.

Chris gets himself in trouble on national television when it's discovere
« previous 1 3 next »
Rachel is a mojito lover, cheese enthusiast, wanderluster, book junkie, romance writer, and an enginerd. She is a Colorado native displaced in Texas and an engineer and university professor. When she's not creating optimization models or traveling the world, eating her way through city after city, she is usually tucked in the corner of a coffee shop, dreaming up stories and typing away on the comp ...more

How to Score (2 books)
  • Intercepting the Chef (How to Score, #1)