Start by marking “The Exes' Revenge” as Want to Read:
The Exes' Revenge

The Exes' Revenge

US & Canada title - The Exes' Revenge
UK title - Sticks and Stones

A wickedly dark debut thriller about three women who've all been involved with the same man and realize the one thing they have in common is that they all want revenge against him...

Divorces are often messy, and Imogen's is no exception. Phillip Rochester is controlling, abusive, and determined to make th
Published September 11th 2018 by Berkley Books

Meredith
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I knew going in this was going to be over-the-top ridiculousness. For a hundred pages or so it served its purpose--light, mindless reading for when I got home from work. It was fun for a while, but then it just got boring and messy. I didn’t care what happened to any of these characters and I was happy when I got to the end!

I don't care enough to write a detailed review.

I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway!
Kaceey
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
Three women with one thing in common, or should I say one person in common - Phillip!

Ruby - the ex-wife who never seemed to move on.

Imogen - the soon to be ex - wife #2, also the mother of his only child

Naomi- current live in girlfriend. Young and beautiful.

It’s going to take the help of all three women to take down their one common denominator. Can they all work together? Can they really trust each-other? Or will Phillip come out on top...again!

A good solid thriller that I was able to read in n
Paromjit
Jo Jakeman writes a stellar emotional roller coaster of a debut novel, a tense and harrowing portrayal of an issue that is widespread in society but often flies beneath the radar, domestic violence. In this psychological thriller, it all begins with the funeral of Phillip Rochester, a decorated police officer and all round nasty piece of work. Present at the funeral are three women, Ruby, his ex-wife, Imogen, his estranged wife and girlfriend, Naomi, the woman that Phillip was intending to marry ...more
Deanna
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2018
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

I was really intrigued after reading the description for this novel. Three women mistreated by one man will have their chance to get revenge for all that he has put them through.

Phillip Rochester is a police officer who treats the women in his life terribly.

We first meet Imogen (the second Mrs. Rochester). Imogen suffered a devastating loss early in her marriage to Phillip. She never did find out who was responsible
Holly  B
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Dark humor and entertaining plot / Just add popcorn

Phillip is a master manipulator and he has been at it for awhile, but when his girlfriend and former wives band together to plot their revenge, he is in for a heavy dose of his own medicine! Really? They did what to him? Oh no they didn't....oh yes, they did!

This was super entertaining and lets just say Phillip (who was quite the evil narcissist ) wasn't a sympathetic character at all.  In fact, I can't think of any redeeming qualities for him
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*

Batman needs to shut his judgey mouth. But yes, I probably have been. This book totally would rock the movie of the week though.

Imogene is about to be the ex-wife. If her wanker husband Phillip will ever agree to just sign the papers. He has himself a brand new home and new woman friend that Imogene has to get along with for the sake of her child.

But one day when she is over at their house she notices something that makes her realize that she is not alone in the way that her ex-husband treate
Liz
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

This is one fun read! Three women are involved with Philip - his ex, his present wife and his girlfriend.

Once an a**hole, always an a**hole. And Philip could win the prize. Nasty, manipulative, abusive. Check, check, check. But Philip is a decorated police officer, so it’s not like his buddies on the force will believe he’s abusive.

The book starts with his funeral, so we know he’s a goner, and then goes back three weeks and works itself forward.

The book moves at a fast pace and it keeps you
Mackey
A satisfyingly noir tale of three abused women seeking their revenge against one man.

Phillip Rochester is one of the cruelest, most manipulative, abusive men that these three women could imagine but they didn't have to imagine him. He was their reality. When his current wife, Imogen, is told that she must move out of her house - which they own together - or face consequences, Imogen is well aware of what those consequences might entail. She has a son by this man and he is threatening to take aw
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
This is the ultimate story of revenge! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

My Thoughts:

I read The Exes’ Revenge with Holly, and this is just the kind of read you want to share with a friend!

Also called Sticks and Stones in the UK, this one had me enthralled from the first line:

“The day of Phillip’s funeral.

I expected to feel free, unburdened, but when the curtains close around Phillip Rochester’s satin-lined coffin all I feel is indigestion.”

Phillip is an icky kind of character. Actually, he’s so abusive he is beyond ick a
Susanne  Strong
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4 Stars

Divorce (and even breakups) can be nasty. If you’ve been through it, you know. Sometimes you’re not even sure you’ll survive. In this case, Phillip Rochester’s exe’s find out for themselves.

Imogen and Phillip are newly divorced. As the father of their child, Phillip makes Imogen’s life miserable and it’s about to get worse. When Naomi became the new girlfriend of Phillip Rochester, she had no idea what she was getting herself into. Ruby is Phillip’s first ex-wife. Married for a very long
Book of Secrets
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love a delicious tale of revenge, especially when the villain is as deserving as the one in THE EXES’ REVENGE. Phillip is an abuser, control freak, and master manipulator. He continues to make life miserable for his exes and current girlfriend, until finally the three women reach the tipping point.

THE EXES REVENGE is a gripping dark domestic thriller. It’s entertaining, fast paced, and hard to put down, though also rather disturbing at times with the instances of domestic violence. The things
Linda
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
"The axe forgets, but the tree remembers." (African Proverb)

What would you do if fate handed you the ultimate opportunity for payback? What would it be like to finally have the steering wheel in your grasp rather than being relegated to the backseat in the vehicle of life?

Imogene Rochester has been deluged with disrespect. It dresses her in wraps of verbal, nonverbal, and physical abuse at the hands of her police officer husband, Phillip. He wears his official uniform and so does she on a day-in
Katie B
A bit of a mess but I still kinda liked it. This is one of those books where you find out the ending right at the beginning of the story and the rest of the book is the details of what happened, in this case how the ex wound up dead and if the ex -wife, soon-to-be ex-wife, and current girlfriend had something to do with Phillip's death.

The book had a bit of a soap opera quality to it in which I was entertained but it will drive you nuts if you spend time questioning if it is believable or not.
Kendall
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
What first caught my eye with this one? That cover..... and of course I was thinking "ooo awesome for a bunch of women to seek revenge on their ex?" BUT this?? Yikes... NO

The premise starts out with a bang at Philip's funeral.... Three women Naomi, Imogen, and Ruby all know deep down inside that Philip Rochester got the death he deserved. Of course the author leaves the readers with a bit of bread crumbs... aching for more!!

Philip is a typical character that all readers will hate.... physically
Jan
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, suspense
Who doesn't like a good revenge story?

The title alone was all I needed to make sure I got my hands on a copy of this and I went in with high expectations.

Were they met? I'd say yes, for the most part.

Highlights:
-The many layers to the story and how it all unfolded.
-I may not have liked all the characters, but the author did a nice job creating a core group of women, each with their own strengths and weaknesses that made this story work. That ties in with showcasing Philip's ability to manipulat
Zoe
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ominous, relentless, and intense!

The Exes' Revenge is a character-driven, domestic thriller that delves into how much relationships define us and reminds us that hell hath no fury as a woman scorned.

The prose is gritty and taut. The characters, including the sinister, despicable villain are consumed, ruthless, complex, and vulnerable. And the plot, using a back-and-forth, past/present style does a nice job of building tension and unease as it subtly intertwines and unravels an intricate web of l
Gary
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut novel by author Jo Jakeman. The book starts with the funeral of Phillip Rochester, a police officer before going back in time to tell the events leading up to his death. Phillip is not a nice man and has abused his two wives and his lover throughout his adult life. The three women are now joined together in a common goal of seeking revenge.
This is a fast paced story with some very interesting characters, Jo Jakeman is a new author to watch out for.
I would like to thank Net Gall
Carrie
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
The Exes’ Revenge by Jo Jakeman is a debut thriller that for this reader just seemed to lack a bit of thrill and border more on a drama. The story is one that begins at the end and then takes the readers back to a so many days before countdown to where we’ve begun.

Imogen is in the process of getting a divorce from her once abusive and controlling ex-husband. Meanwhile, said husband has a new women in his life and also another ex that was the first wife Imogen could never quite live up to. These
Louise Wilson
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How far would you go for revenge on your ex? Imogen's husband is a bad man. And now he's given her an ultimatum: get out of the family home in the next fortnight or I will fight you for custody of our son.

This book starts with the funeral of Philip Rochester, a policeman who was not a very nice person. Present at his funeral are three women who all have something in common, they have all been abused by Philip Rochester. Ruby is his ex-wife, Imogen is estranged from him and Naomi is his current g
Brenda
I expected to feel free, unburdened, but when the curtains close around Phillip Rochester's satin-lined coffin, all I feel is indigestion.

The opening lines of Sticks and Stones grabbed me – and I was enthralled until the very last page!

Phillip Rochester was a policeman; his reputation was everything to him. But he had more than just the guns he carried for weapons – his words and the menace they carried; and his fists. And his ex-wife, his wife and his new girlfriend had all felt the lashings of
Marialyce
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
3.5 let the battle begin stars
My reviews can be seen here: http://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpress...

Three exes and a narcissistic man! Whatever could go wrong? Meet Ruby, ex number one, Imogen, soon to be ex number two, and Naomi, soon to maybe be wife number three. ...and then there is Philip Rochester, the man who entranced them all. They all come together in the book: The Exes' Revenge. and yes, there is a basement too!

This interesting novel have a number of things that will delight those of
Bren
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Scorned women get revenge thrillers.
Sticks and Stones is another "revenge thriller". Only in this case, the revenger(is that even a word?) is not one person but three. The wife, the ex and the current (girlfriend).

Most of the story takes place in the basement where bad hubby is locked up.

I will be honest..the book did not do much for me.

It was OK but required so much suspension of disbelief that it became really hard for me to take it as seriously as I wanted to. I have read books like this before and had the same issues.

This was
Malia
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first novel by Jo Jakeman, but I'm already looking forward to her next one. The story moved at a good pace and was engaging, but what I really liked was the characters development of the protagonist, Imogen. She starts off very meek and afraid (with good reason!) and changes and grows stronger as circumstances demand. I don't want to give away the plot, because there are a good amount of twists and turns, bit I will say it was an enjoyable and clever thriller by an author I will happ ...more
Dennis
2.5 / 5 stars

I'm not going to go fully into detail about this story, because The Exes' Revenge was one of the more disappointing stories that I've picked up this summer. Imogen and her son Alistair are trying to recuperate after Imogen decides to divorce her husband Phillip Rochester. Phillip is a successful doctor (I think?) who lives a double life. He is a misogynist and domestic abuser who has cheated on his wife with a plethora of women during their relationship. Now that Imogen has decide
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Wow! Crazy story but quite good! 4.5 Stars
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have to say this book is loaded with triggers and raw description of those affected by domestic violence. However, the book is also about revenge and that brings strange bedfellows in and of itself. So if you are in the mood for a little payback, check out my review...

The story started out with a bang and really never let up. I was not expecting a lot of the dark graphic detail, however I understand that in order to get the re
Jamie
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
When I first read this description, my thoughts were kind of "oh cool, a psychological thriller meets first wives club"...and DAHLINGGG, I was here for that. But this? No.

What started as an interesting premise, an abusive husband, an ex wife wanting to take revenge, kind of spirals into ridiculous, with red herrings that don't serve the benefit of the story. I thought the length was longer than necessary. I had high hopes, but, alas. I will say the ending twist was enjoyable, at the very least.
Jill McGill
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, Dark, and Twisted!

What do three women who have all been involved with the same man have in common... Revenge against him!

And what a revenge story we have here. Jo Jakeman takes us on a wild ride with this one. Can Ruby, Imogen, and Naomi work together to bring down their ex, Phillip? Or will Phillip manage to manipulate one of the women and foil the entire revenge plot?

This is a good solid domestic thriller that will keep you engaged. I can't wait to see what Jakeman writes next!

*Many th
Sheryl
I want to add to this review that if anyone who has ever suffered from Domestic Violence, be it verbally, physically or emotionally really should keep that in mind if they read this novel due to the subject matter. I'm a Victim's Advocate for Domestic Violence Survivors, and I found myself tense up at times.

Having stated that; this is a well-written book. I liked the way the author has set the book the up. Phillip Rochester is a police officer who is very controlling and cruel to the extreme to
Dita
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
It's a fun idea not too well executed. Phillip is a D-bag and his soon to be ex-wife, his girlfriend and his first wife team up in a busted up, somewhat reluctant version of First Wives' Club. Only there is no Goldie Hawn, Bette Midler or Diane Keaton and everything that happens is unbelievable.

Intriguing start, boring middle, trite ending.
Juli
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actions have consequences.

Phillip Rochester is abusive, manipulative and controlling. There are three women who know just how much of a nightmare he can be. One decision acts as a catalyst to start a battle in motion. Three women against one man. If hell hath no fury like a woman scorned....what about three women?

This book is disturbing, action-packed and suspenseful. I usually find at least one redeeming quality in characters, even villains...and I tried. But Phillip Rochester is just a total

• Idiot!
  • When You Find Me
  • Fierce Peace
  • The Eaton
  • Shelter of Leaves
  • The Longest Silence (Shades of Death #4)
  • Dangerous Alliance (Pure Sin, #2)
  • His First Lie