Start by marking “An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason” as Want to Read:
An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason

An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason

When Lady Katherine's father is killed for being an illegally practicing Catholic, she discovers treason wasn't the only secret he's been hiding: he was also involved in a murder plot against the reigning Queen Elizabeth I. With nothing left to lose, Katherine disguises herself as a boy and travels to London to fulfill her father's mission, and to take it one step further- ...more
Published October 23rd 2018 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason, please sign up.
Fallon
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Exillior Not sure if you have read the book since then but no, it does not. The story of Katherine does start in Cornwall (although the coast is not mentioned)…moreNot sure if you have read the book since then but no, it does not. The story of Katherine does start in Cornwall (although the coast is not mentioned) but most of the story takes place in London. There are a few scenes taking place on the banks of the river Thames, but still in London. (less)

Start your review of An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason
Mackenzi
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Blurb of Officialness: "An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason is a thrilling, immersive romp through Shakespeare's London, and all the intrigue, alliances, and politics that shaped it. Helmed by two feisty leading players who I fell in love with as they fell for each other, and with snappy, energetic prose that will appeal to both fans of historicals and contemporaries, there's something here for everyone. I devoured this book with ravenous joy. Bravo!"
Cristina Monica
Two years ago, I read the first book in the author’s fantasy series – The Witch Hunter – and, surprisingly, I rated it 3.5 stars as well.

What does this mean? Well, like The Witch Hunter, this one was easy to read and fast-paced. I enjoyed reading about the two main characters, two people who both have distinct personalities and back-stories that help us understand where they’re coming from.

The concept is also original. Who has ever heard of putting on a play to kill a king or queen? This was th
Elle (ellexamines)
This was such a good take on Twelfth Night.

I shall start this review off with a slight bit of criticism: the plot of this book is, admittedly, very convoluted. The plot feels at time repetitious due to the lack of narrative weight presented by certain plot points.

However, the book is almost entirely redeemed by its characters: Katherine and Toby are written with so much heart. I loved how Katherine’s character’s inner turmoil and conflict was written and conveyed by the narrative. I also adored
Nenia ✨️ The Trash Empress ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🦇 Read for the Unapologetic Romance Readers Halloween 2018 Reading Challenge for the category of: A romance where one of the characters is a murderer 🦇

I was initially going to post lots of status updates for this book, because I feel like that is what you are supposed to do when you manage to finagle a prized ARC like this one - but instead I knocked it back like it was a glass of drinkable wine and I was trying to get drunk off of i
Sylvie {on semi-hiatus}
4/5 Stars

Pre reading thoughts:

This book has all the ingredients I never knew I needed to see gathered in one book:

Elizabethian era ✔️
Girl disguises herself as a boy ✔️
Takes place during the Anglo-Spanish War ✔️
Plotting an assassination against Elizabeth I ✔️
Both protagonists have to perform in a Shakespearean play, presumably "Twelfth Night" ✔️
Young spy ✔️
Revenge ✔️
From enemies to lovers (probably) ✔️

What I liked about this book:

-Basically everything, most of them I mentioned in my pre-r
may ❀
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
ehhhhh, i liked the ~*idea*~ of this book more than the actual book

the characters were alright, they had good backstories but i found the more the story progressed, the more it wasn't coming together. the stakes were pretty HIGH but it didn't feel like it. it felt pretty relaxed the whole way through

and dont get me wrong, im a really big shipper, but for some reason, i felt NO chemistry between the characters. they were developed so quickly and honestly it was becoming a chore to read

so, guess
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
DNFING
No shade to this book. I just refuse to read a book, this year, that doesn’t immediately spark my interest within the first 50 pages.
Lisa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arc
This is such a fun unique take on historical fiction. Shakespeare, romance, disguised gender and, you know, plotting murder, made for one excellent story.

This is a great standalone I highly recommend.
Virginia Boecker
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
*peeks*

*sees nice reviews*

*smiles*

*runs away*
Wing (bibliomeds)
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/4 stars
i enjoyed this much more than i expected to (once I read past the first 100 pages and considered DNFing it)
the author clearly did her research and knows her stuff - making the plot and story very wholesome to read.
I love the story, I love Katherine and Toby, and honestly I think i relate to Shakespeare the most in the entire book (but I'm nowhere as talented lmao).
y'all
i just wish there was more at the end ahhhhhhh
hope this short review makes sense.
Katie.dorny
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, lgbtq
A bisexual loose retelling of the gunpowder plot; with bisexuality discussed openly and beautifully whilst also exploring cross dressing. Mixed with political intrigue, Shakespeare, a slow burn romance and all set in Tudor England.....I die.

This was just a whole lot of fun. Probably someone more into mysteries/thrillers might have guessed the ending sooner but I didn’t - it shocked me and I loved it.

Our main two characters - Katherine and Toby are wonderfully awkward about their crush. As someo
Katherine Moore
Did you know that Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night was written to capture the would-be assassin of Queen Elizabeth I?!
And what do you get when you combine a cross-dressing Catholic called Katherine Arundell, out to avenge the death of her father, and put her slap-dab in the middle of merry old London?

‘An Assassin’s Guide to Love & Treason’, of course, and it’s quite scrumptious.
This romp through 1601 will have you questioning any history you may think you’ve learned about Elizabethan London, about t
Fatma
Enjoyable, but not the best thing I've ever read.
Lauren Stoolfire
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
That was awesome! I need more YA historical fiction like this. Like Mackenzi Lee and A Knight's Tale? Then I have a feeling you'll love this too.
Nicki Chapelway
Nov 16, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF-55 pages

It is with a heavy heart that I decide that I will not be finishing this book. I wanted so, so badly to like it. The second that I saw that it had released I ordered it from the library. It was still processing, I was the first person from my library to get it. But unfortunately, this book just isn't what I had hoped it would be.

It has far too much content. The swear words are not only unnecessary, but also unrealistic. I'm not an expert on swear word etymology but I am pretty sure t
Jackie
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book! And I did like the characters, the setting, and parts of the plot. But something was missing. I think this book would have been great if there was one more book involved. The ending was to quick and happy. Left me wanting more. Additionally I felt that the romance by the two MCs became a bit ridiculous. Kit is trying to kill the queen and she’s dressed like a man. But then is more than willing to give up her identity in a moment of passion. Which didn’t feel ri ...more
Jenn
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, stunned take: Absolutely brilliant.
Actual blurb: A tour de force blending wrenchingly complicated romance, vibrant theatre history, and deadly Elizabethan politics, AN ASSASSIN'S GUIDE TO LOVE AND TREASON seduced me completely.
Unofficial blurb: OMG I AM SO OBSESSED WITH THIS BOOK READ IT READ IT NOW
Rukky
Pretty good

It was really engaging and full of suspense. I also absolutely loved the historical aspect and the characters. The spies, the illusions, the lies-it definitely made the story more awesome!!

Full review to come!!
Sheharzad ⚘
if the TITLE didn't already have my hands itching for this book, then that BLURB surely had me screaming at that release date!!

granted, october 2018 isn't that far but... i'm also an impatient little shit who doesn't believe in the combo of intriguing storyline + ridiculous months-long release dates. it's torturous for us book lovers. absolutely abhorrent. how dare they dangle such interesting ideas in front of us and make us wait?! smh 100% unimpressed.
Aadila
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I really hope that 2020 isn't a year full of "if only" books! This could've been 4 stars ..if only...

I loved the premise and setting of the story! I'm vaguely familiar with Shakespeare's Twelfth Night and the clashes between Protestants and Catholics during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the first, but I had no idea that Shakespeare's plays played such political roles! I always appreciate a book that is well researched and teaches me something.

I enjoyed the writing as well. It was fitting to the t
USOM
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can't get over how clever An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason is. For the inner English Lit nerd, watching all the pieces of this book come together was me just yelling, "YES!" over and over again. That's almost what it was like watching me read this book. Except I was in a government building. So it was more just happy sighing over and over again. But besides the cleverness of the writing, what I loved was the assassins, weapon training, conspiracies, and love story.

full review: https://u
Keplers
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this so much I blurbed it
"Assassins, spies, a forbidden romance, a plot to kill the queen, and secrets aplenty - all centering around Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. Be still my Shakespeare-loving fangirl heart."
Vernie♡
Jun 06, 2018 marked it as to-read
Hmm.. that title and that cover remind me greatly of A Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue.. but since Mackenzi Lee herself enjoyed it, I'll give it a go.
Christine
4.5! This was a great romp that also had me very worried that things would not turn out alright -- no traumatically tragic ending here though, hurrah!

This has spies, secret identities, girls dressing up as boys dressed as girls, and lots of feelings about Kit Marlowe. GOOD TIMES.
Raven_Blake (dreamy addictions)
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars!
Same Review Also Posted On My Blog: Dreamy Addictions

I thought I would love this book, but sadly it was not what I had expected.  I haven't read Virgina Boecker's The Witch Hunter series, but I really wanted to give this a shot because I couldn't resist a spy novel.   I was hoping for a  suspenseful YA historical spy novel with a dash of romance but what I got is a dramatic YA romance between two Star crossed lovers. Honestly, It has a good concept but I think this one i
Erin Arkin
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read the synopsis of An Assassin’s Guide to Love & Treason by Virginia Boecker, I knew I had to read it. This book is a standalone and it has a fast pace to keep the story moving and if you like historical books focused on a plot for murder, I think you should pick this one up.

The story focuses on two main characters, Lady Katherine and Toby Ellis. Everything really kicks off when Katherine’s father is executed for being a practicing Catholic, a dangerous thing in those times. Kathe
miri the dreamer
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a dramatic historical fiction
My review is also posted on my blog, right here

First off, thank you to the publisher and my teen librarian for the ARC. I received this review copy from my librarian to suggest whether to purchase this book or not.

My verdict: Absolutely yes. I really enjoyed this book and I can imagine lots of teens liking it too.

You know you've read a great historical fiction book when you get interested in that era afterwards! Now I'm more curious about Elizabethan England. Also, I need to get Twelfth Night by
Jane (It'sJaneLindsey)
Katherine goes to London dressed as a boy with the singular purpose of assassinating Queen Elizabeth. Toby is a spy charged with discovering who’s behind this plot. Both use the production of Shakespeare’s new play Twelfth Night to execute their plans.

I was highly anticipating this book, out 10/23 from Hachette/Little Brown*, and I really enjoyed An Assassin’s Guide. The characters were definitely the highlight for me, and I enjoyed seeing their relationship develop. Toby is bisexual, and actual
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Jan 25, 2018 marked it as owned-tbr
HOLY SHIT THIS QUEEN IS BACK AND WITH WHAT KIND OF BOOK MAN!! SHE IS TRYING TO KILL ME AND I COULDN’T BE HAPPIER ABOUT IT!!!
I loved the The Witch Hunter duology so much and this one sounds even more perfect I AM GONNA PEE MYSELF!
Mary H
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Historical is one of my least read genres. Although people and events from history are interesting, if I read historical, I don't want an exact recounting like a textbook. I want something that adds to the past and makes it unique and fun. Assassin's Guide takes people you know such as Queen Elizabeth I and Shakespeare (who are two of my favorites already) and adds danger, intrigue, romance, sass, humor (a must-have for my historical reads!), along with original characters who feel real and an o ...more

• Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
  • Ignite the Stars (Ignite the Stars, #1)
  • Blanca & Roja
  • Hijas de las Sombras
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Four Dead Queens
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy (Montague Siblings, #2)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • O livro de Líbero
  • Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee
  • Cinco Dias para o Fim do Mundo
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
Virginia Boecker is the author of The Witch Hunter series and An Assassin's Guide to Love and Treason. A graduate of the University of Texas, she had a decade-long career in technology before quitting to become a full-time writer. When she isn't writing, Virginia likes running, reading, traveling, and trying new things (most recently: learning to drive a boat). She has lived all over the world but ...more

Articles featuring this book

Welcome to the world of irresistible young adult fiction! Every month, our team takes a look at what books are being published and how...
“You see, Seraphina is unable to love. She cannot love as she is in mourning because her father is dead. While we're at it, let's kill her brother too. Two dead relatives are always better than one.” 2 likes
“If I've learned anything in my position, it's that there's nothing more deceptive than the obvious.” 0 likes