Start by marking “The Last Lie” as Want to Read:
The Last Lie

The Last Lie

THE TWISTY NEW PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER FROM THE BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF AFTER ANNA, KILLING KATE AND COPYCAT

Everyone lies…but some lies are deadly.

For Claire Daniels, life is good. She has everything she’s ever wanted – a career she loves, friends she can rely on and a husband who dotes on her. All she needs is to start a family of her own and things will be even better than
Published January 1st 2019 by HarperCollins

Start your review of The Last Lie
Ken
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like the other Alex Lake novel that I’d previously read, the solution was pretty easy to spot early on. As with ‘Killing Kate’ I had a whole lot of fun following the journey through to the conclusion.

The story jumps between married couple Alfie and Claire, they seem to be happily suited and are just missing a baby of their own to become the perfect family.
Claire is desperate to full pregnant whilst Alfie wants no such thing...

I felt so sorry for Claire as her hopes were dashed with every pr
Lou
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, the first word that sprung to mind when ruminating over this book in the hours after finishing it was patronising. It felt a lot like I was been treated like an imbecile, and the author spelt everything out when it should've been left to the reader to use their powers of deduction to work out the clues given the genre. This constant explaining of even really obvious points was incredibly irksome and interrupted the flow of the writing making it very disjointed. Not only that, but ...more
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was absolutely brilliant. It had me hooked from start to finish. I loved every page and there was never a dull moment. I figured on quite early what was happening as the author made it pretty obvious but it didn’t change anything for me. Normally if you figure things out early on it can make the story dull but this definitely wasn’t the case with this. It was thoroughly well written with great characters. I have read every Alex Lake book and I’ve always loved them. I already cannot ...more
Mandy White
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019, audible
Wow that was one crazy book... and I loved it!! Hooked from the start with some unbelievably nasty characters.. what's not to love!
Julie Parks
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I LOVED this. I mean who doesn't love a good husband-against-wife plot these days? The marriage that's supposedly perfect on the outside but, oh so broken on the inside.

The first part of the book dragged a bit and was super predictable, but then things turn around and you realize the author's purposefully set it up like that so that you would be completely thrown off your horse during the second part.

This seemed like a typical Mr. and Mrs. Smith scenario at first but I must say I couldn't guess
Donna Maguire

Having read one of the author's previous books, Copy Cat and loved it, as soon as I saw that this book was available to download I jumped at the chance to get a copy and dove right in as soon as it landed on my Kindle!

I absolutely LOVED this story - I finished this book a little before midnight on the day I started it and I had to do my review straight away - my head was buzzing, it is one of those books that you want to see how it ends but feel genuinely
Adele Shea
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a book about lies, affairs, murder and deceit then look no further than Alex Lakes, The Last Lie.
A really enjoyable read.
Marc Bougharios
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fisrt by Alex Lake, although I have a copy of Killing Kate. If all of Lake's books are like this one, then he is one of my favorite new authors.

There is no such thing as the perfect marriage. Alfie and Claire are living a good life in a good home. They both love each other very much, but Alfie has sinister plans for his wife. He is not the loving husband that Claire thought he was. But his plans are messed up when something happens. In the end, lies have a way of catching up to you.

I can't re
Erin (from Long Island, NY)
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this fun, back stabbing, can't trust anybody story! From the beginning, certain things were obvious- the author let you know right off the bat.. But the characters were well formed (i especially enjoyed Claire's progression) & i was completely drawn in! The whole premise may be a little far fetched, but not in an absolutely ridiculous or impossible way. The author just pushed "normal" people's attitudes & behaviors.. but it went down easy for me! & the ending was great! Imo ...more
Kate
I read this in one big greedy gulp! I'm not a big fan of psycho thrillers (on the contrary) but I've enjoyed all of Alex Lake's novels and this is possibly my favourite. I could see where it was going and I did work it out but that didn't detract from my enjoyment in the least. 4.5 stars rounded up. Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Laura Rash
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quick enticing read that had me thinking one way but sure flipped around on me. I enjoyed this one a lot.
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It seems like any time I sit down with an Alex Lake book, I know I need to shut out the world for a few hours and read it non stop. The Last Lie was no exception, I have no idea what was going on around me for the past 3 hours while I was completely hooked on Alfie and Claire's story. Although looking around I appear to be safe and sound at home, so probably didn't miss much in the real world!

Although due to the level of intensity I felt with the story, I do feel slightly discombobulated as I f
Julie Lacey
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will have you hooked from the first few chapters.
Claire and Alfie appear to be the perfect couple to their friends and for Claire, life is good except she is desperate to start a family.
We then read a chapter from Alfies’s perspective and realise he doesn’t want children and doesn’t like Claire very much.
He is what I would call, a weasel, and I just wanted Claire to work her way through all his lies. He is so selfish but is a brilliant manipulator.
Something happens and the story is
Unidentified
Dec 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
My first thriller I've picked up in a long time and although I hadn't researched or heard much about it to begin with and went in with an open mind I was sorely disappointed. The story is explanatory rather than descriptive and instead of letting the story unfold for the readers it has to be explained through dialogue that often seem pointless and interjected. Furthermore a new set of characters were introduced, with their own POV, only a few chapters before the ending. The twist of this story h ...more
Ann-Marie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was not your run of the mill, innocent woman terrorized by a psycho thriller. It has a lot of different strange flips and twists, and halfway through you will be counting on your fingers to keep track of who is stalking whom, and why.
I have read enough of these book now that I am starting to become very jaded. I mean, nobody is as dumb and innocent as a lot of women in these book. If you know some nutcase is following you, why are you leaving your office late at night by yourself? Why are
Madeline
The Author Let Go of the Reins!

The story held my interest for the first half. Then this ride began to veer off course and the characters became less realistic. One main character suddenly became a very revengeful person and seemed to lose her identity in ways that just didn’t jibe with who she was. The other character continued to be a psychopathic sociopath but since he had always been this way, it was difficult to swallow that no one ever noticed in his entire life that he was a bit off. By th
Maggie61
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claire and Alfie are the “it couple”. They have everything going for them. They have good jobs, money, and a marriage that everyone envies.
But there is one dark cloud in this picture; something missing. A baby. It isn’t like they haven’t tried To have a but it just isn’t happening for them and is starting to affect their relationship. And that isn’t the only dark cloud.
This is a delicious game of cat and mouse. But who’s the cat and who’s the mouse?
I read one of Alex Lake’s previous books “co
Izzie d
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller-mystery
Loved this book.
The male lead character is a real peach.
There were twists and turns but I also found some of the thoughts of the male lead funny.
A happy conclusion for some.
There is cheating but no intimate details. Its stated as happened or is off page.
Gayle Noble
Claire Daniels is married to a cheating, lying sociopath, but she doesn't know. She thinks life is almost perfect. Her husband, Alfie has other ideas and has a plan for getting what he wants.

The story is told from the alternating viewpoints of Claire and Alfie. I really failed to see exactly what made Claire so bad to Alfie, and he is just a complete weasel. It was really chilling to read how he behaved to Claire's face and to others and the disparity with what he really thought. The book seems
Alexa
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really good fast paced read. Kept me enthralled from the beginning!
Caroline
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Read this superrrr fast but overall the story wasn't amazing. If you're one of those people who like to theorize and try to guess the twist, you definitely will with this one. I am not one of those people, and I guessed it!
I think I'm just getting sick of domestic thrillers.
Christina McDonald
An enjoyable cat-and-mouse story between a husband and a wife, I thought The Last Lie was well written with great characters. While there weren't many guesses or twists (probably a testament to how many psych thrillers I read!), it didn't detract in any way from my enjoyment of the story. A quick, fun read.
Claire
The author of this books ( who loves alliterative titles) writes original thrillers. This one kep my attention like After Anna did.
It is an ok book, with an original plot, but there is also a lot of room fornimprovement, esp. in cutting out what isn’t needed and makes parts boring
Linsey
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The twist and turns of this book kept me fussing the entire time. Claire was my favorite character. If you have read any of Alex Lake's other books you will really enjoy this one. A five star read.
Eve
Feb 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: jerk-hero
Mystery, Thriller & Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Domestic drama, Contemporary

Claire Daniels has it all—a job she loves and a husband, Alfie who loves her. Or does he? What if Alfie had his own selfish reasons for getting married and he has lied about too many things?

Lots of events were predictible and repetitive. (view spoiler)
Sam
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
More of a 4.5 ⭐️ for me! I loved this book! I really thought it was going to be a typical domestic thriller, but it was very unique plot wise. I was hooked by reading through Alfie’s perspective, and more so because of the mystery surrounding his intentions and what was actually going on.

This was a great, face paced mystery. I would have loved a bit more character depth regarding Claire, but other than that, it was a great mystery read!

I may have to pick up Alex Lake’s other books!
Becky
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's not hard to be immediately gripped by Alex Lake's compulsive writing. Thrown in at the deep end, we are introduced to Claire and Alfie. Outward appearances show them as the supposedly perfect couple, but their marriage harbours a dark secret.
Lake's brilliant narrative, his fine creation of characters and their personalities – I am a sucker for a villain's narrative – and compelling twist made this the perfect holiday read. I devoured it in two sittings and immediately started looking for h
Lisa Whitehead Murray
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great psychological thriller. The perfect husband, the perfect marriage, the perfect life. Sometimes perfection is only skin deep. Under all that perfection was a web of lies that would soon turn deadly. Every one keeps secrets... nothing is as it seems.
Joanne Schofield
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down. Claire and Alfie are the perfect team. Husband and wife, they’re madly in love and trying for a baby. But all is not as it seems....

This was an effortless but entertaining read. A good thriller with lots of double crossing going on. It didn’t have me on the edge of my seat at all but I found the characters interesting and I sped through it.
YC

• The Alibi Girl
  • The Lies We Hide
  • The Perfect Stranger
  • Don’t Tell Teacher
Alex Lake is a British novelist who was born in the North West of England. After Anna, the author’s first novel written under this pseudonym, was a No.1 bestselling ebook sensation and a top-ten Sunday Times bestseller. The author now lives in the North East of the US.