Start by marking “Naondel (Red Abbey Chronicles #2)” as Want to Read:
Naondel (Red Abbey Chronicles #2)

Naondel

(The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)

In the opulent palace of Ohaddin, women have one purpose - to obey. Some were brought here as girls, captured and enslaved; some as servants; some as wives. All of them must do what the Master tells them, for he wields a deadly and secret power.

But the women have powers too. One is a healer. One can control dreams. One is a warrior. One can see everything that is coming. I
Published January 25th 2018 by Pushkin Children's Books (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Naondel, please sign up.
Crystal Absolutely. It's actually a prequel and adds to the reading of Maresi.

Emily May
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily May by: Tatiana
Shelves: fantasy, 2019, young-adult
I felt grief, but also relief. I had escaped. I was free.
Or so I thought.

I'm not a writer, but I wish I had written this book. It's true that I could have more success and wealth if I had written the Throne of Glass series, or Divergent, but this book is so rich, so different, so dark and full of complexity... I wish I could have the honour of saying something like this was my work.

This is a very dark book in a very dark series. It's a Finnish import, beautifully translated, and maybe that is
Tatiana
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I convinced anyone to read "Maresi" earlier this year, and I probably won't convince anyone to read its prequel, which is very unfortunate. Of many YA fantasy novels published these days, this one definitely offers something different. The novel's main characters reside in a harem, and knowing that "Maresi" takes place on island where women find safe haven from oppression of men, it's no spoiler to say that women of "Naondel" hate their husband/owner/abuser/rapist and seek escape f ...more
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)

Naondel reads like a mash-up of A Thousand Nights and Memoirs of a Geisha. Like the former, it is a feminist testimony to the outward weakness but inward strength of women. Like the latter, it is filled with hardship, and struggles, and pain, which – balanced by the beautiful setting and writing – made this a bittersweet kind of read, both beautiful and dreadful.

Whilst marketed in the Teens & YA section on NetGalley, the content is brutal and devastating in both a psychological and
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Power, control, feminism, survival, magic.

I knew from the moment I read about the Naondel in Maresi that I had to know more.

This book is written in a slightly different style from Maresi, with the narrative changing at intervals between different characters. It still has the same feel to the writing, it's still quite blunt and in your face at times, but I loved it. I could easily distinguish between the characters - and quickly realised that I had a favourite. I just love Garai, okay?

I
The Librarian Witch
I just CANNOT get enough of this series!

I loved both this, and Maresi (the first in the series) in equal, yet different measure.
More books filled to bursting with strong, awesome female characters please?!

This instalment was so much darker.
So much heavier.
Filled with so much more evil and malevolence.

And I loved it!

It was such a great origin story for The Red Abbey, and I can't wait for book number three!
Anna - Boktycke
Ehh, I read this without knowing that this is a sequel (or actually a prequel). Anyway, it was a very good read with a lot of interesting characters. Love the settings and the writing was good. The only thing I didn't like is that the main villain is toooo evil and basically rapes every women he encounters :/

I am going to look for the first book now :)
Marie the Librarian
This is such an interesting series! Its so different and unique and I like it a lot. It took me some time to get into all the characters, but when I did it was so good. I love the magic and these women and I hate Iskan with a passion!
Anna
description

Let me just preface this with a little note on Maresi, the first book in this series.
Maresi was a pleasant read that touched briefly on how terrible it can be to be a woman, but over all was a positive book with a really uplifting vibe. Woman escaped bad situations to come and live freely on an island that let them work and learn in a safe haven that men couldn't access. It was a nice coming-of-age tale about sisterhood and the potential that a woman can have if she's given opportunity.

This lef
Zoe
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, fantasy, feminism
They live in a a world ruled by men. But no one rules forever.

I am... blown away by this book. This book is so gorgeously and thought provocatively written, it's incredible. The entire premise: women fighting back against their oppressor, is so important and historically.... important.

However the trigger warnings are incredibly heavy throughout the book. Although I was not affected as much as I could have been, I can imagine that a lot people will need those trigger warnings at the bottom, p
Vikki Patis
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told through the perspectives of multiple women, Naondel is heartbreaking, breathtaking, and utterly feminist. It's a story of women, sisterhood, and survival.

We begin with Kabira, a young woman from a wealthy family, who guards the secret of Anji, the spring that gives life - and controls it. Kabira falls in love with Iskan, son of a powerful man in the realm, and shows him what Anji can do. Iskan's evil soon rears its head, and Kabira is terrified of what she's unleashed. But she is trapped i
Blodeuedd Finland
Dunno why this is YA when the people get older, it is really rapey, and ugh some of the people. DNF

I still think Arra one of the best book I have read and that one should get translated!
Karyn Silverman
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018-reads, arcs, ya
An intense, painful but ultimately uplifting read. This will be triggering for many - the violence against women is so present, and while not graphic, it’s descriptive enough to be viscerally uncomfortable. But this is also a testament to sisterhood and the power of women. The emphasis on the small secret magics of women and the abuses of powe-hungry men (mostly just one) make this a good readalike for A Thousand Nights, but this is, I think, the stronger — and harder — read. Also despite being ...more
Amanda Kratz
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
This is beautifully written, wonderful imagery and captivating characters. However there was so much rape, and abuse I just can't force myself to continue reading it. DNF pg 78

This is book 2 in a series (although it is technically a prequel and is mostly world building) It goes back to describe the founding members of the Red Abbey (a place where women are free to do as they please) and because of that we see all the original members in their lives of oppression at the hands of the Vizier.

The fi
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
This novel absolutely blew me away, tore my heart out and rebuilt me. It was far more than I ever expected, even though my expectations were high.

Naondel is the sequel to Maresi, a book I read earlier this year and absolutely loved. In Maresi, the island of Menos is built around the history turned mythology of seven women who founded the Red Abbey.

In Naondel, we go back to Kabira the Mother, the woman who it began with. Protector of Anji of the pool, her duties are distracted when she falls for
Mary Bronson
I thought this book was AMAZING! Once I got started it was hard to put down. I thought all the characters were beautifully well written and I loved how each of them told their story and how each of the characters story was woven together. Even though this is the 2nd book in The Red Abbey Chronicles it is more on the lines of a prequel. These stories were ones that were in The Red Abbey's library and we learn they exist through the main character from the first book. The plot of the story was at ...more
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
Highly enjoyed reading this! I didn't mind the huge amount of characters, but a few of them were left a little too distant for my taste. Also I don't think this is a book for very young people? Thoughts on that, anyone?

Naondel explains a lot of those unanswered questions I had after finishing the first of the series, Maresi, but not all of them. And that's very much okay, because it makes me even more eager to read the third book some day.
Maia Moore
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Original review posted here

* I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

This book just blew me away. I really enjoyed Maresi when I read it but this was in another league. I wasn’t sure what to expect in the prequel but this perfectly told the story of the women who founded the Red Abbey.

The book is told from the point of view of each of these women. It starts with Kabira, a young girl who is the guardian to a powerful spring called Anji. When Iskan, the son of the Vizier e
meandermind
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OM MY WHY have I not heard of this author before?! I was afraid she was a one-hit wonder with Maresi but this one is just as good! Not exactly a part two, more of a prequel, but reading them in suggested order is probably a good idea - mostly because you need something hopeful to hold onto in this deep, dark fantasy. Tiny spoiler that isn't a spoiler if you read Maresi: (view spoiler) ...more
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones

Joanne
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

TRIGGER WARNING: Rape features heavily in this book.

When I finished Maresi, Maria Turtschaninoff's first book in The Red Abbey Chronicles, I loved it so much I was ready to dive in to the second book straight away. I have patiently waited a whole year for the much anticipated prequel, Naondel, and it was most definitely worth the wait! Naondel is incredible, and even better than Maresi!

Naondel is a book written by six women, six of the seven first Sister
Emma Yoloswag
Well, here's me abandoning a book I was hoping to love.

It's not because of all the violence and misogyny. I knew what I was getting into, so I was sure I could handle that. It's not because of too many characters either, because I'm pretty good at keeping track of them (ASoIaF, anyone?). No, what made me give up on this was that the writing style was hella boring.

That sounds like a petty reason to stop reading a book, right? Maybe you're right, but I was getting pretty fed up with writing that w
Crystal
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received this book free from Netgalley in return for an un-biased review.

This has been a really good month for me! First I got The Girl in the Tower which I was dying to read. Then I got this book, Naondel, and I’ve been so excited to read this! The book gods are shining down on me right now!

This book is the second in the Red Abbey Chronicles series, but it actually serves as a kind of prequel to the first book, Maresi. This book follows the same themes, but it fills in the backsto
enricocioni
Naondel is the second book in Maria Turtschaninoff's Red Abbey Chronicles, after Maresi, which is set in the above-mentioned feminist utopia, several years after the events of Naondel. (I reviewed Maresi not long ago, and highly recommend it.) Maresi is cozy but unafraid of dealing with dark issues like mortality and violence against women; Naondel dials the darkness up to eleven. The women and girls of Maresi are confined on an island, but by their own choice, and live a life of happy industrio ...more
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange and wonderful book though I did not feel completely satisfied in Iskan's fate. It was not enough.
Moray Teale
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Naondel Maria Turtschaninoff returns to the world of Maresi and we learn of the circumstances around the founding of the Red Abbey and its first six members. Kariba is his first wife, who in youth and naivete falls for Iskan, son of the Vizier, and reveals to him the secret power of Anji, her family's sacred spring, a power which he soon seizes for himself. Over many years Iksan uses this power to strengthen his position and manipulate all those around him in terrible ways. Alongside the deve ...more
Judith Moore
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full review and more up on my blog: http://bit.ly/2tiefI8

Let me start by saying that I personally really enjoyed this book. It was a really enjoyable story with some truly badass characters and it actually had a phenomenally powerful message.

My only issue with this book was that it fell into the same trap that so many fantasy novels fall into and one that is perhaps best known in the Game of Thrones series. By that I most definitely mean the use of rape and of sexual assault as a plot device. Th
Angelica Creixell
fictionbywomen
For the full review and a short analysis of the gender gap and some initiatives or projects that are working to improve the situation of the women in Finland visit:

Kabira, Garai, Estegi, Orseola, Sulani, Clarás, Iona and Daera. These are the names of the women of Naondel, the second book of the Red Abbey Chronicles by Maria Turtschaninoff. The story begins like a fairytale, a young woman (Kabira) from a notable family falls in love with a young man (Iskan
Tova
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read this year, and that's from an author who writes in Swedish in Finland! You truly cared for Kabira, she had many flaws, but after what she'd been through, I can't blame her. The villain could have been slightly better, he basically raped every woman in this book, but you still see the sheer power he had over the women. Feminist book of the year!
Sarah Anderson
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
I really loved this book. The only thing that I didn’t like was that there were chapters told from the perspective of all of the sister except Estegi and she was the character who I found the most intriguing and interesting. I really wanted to hear her point of view and what motivated her. Overall I really enjoyed this book a lot and and looking forward to the next book in the series.
Emily Saddler
I was entranced by Turtschaninoff’s lyrical prose in her first novel, Maresi. It was quiet and simple, yet the female voices and the undercurrent of threat laced through the narrative were very powerful. Naondel delivers the same rich description and vivid world building but it is very different in its approach to the subject matter. Do not expect Maresi the sequel; this is an entirely different story but the voices are as haunting as ever.

The opening of the novel displays Turtschaninoff’s exemp
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Surunhauras, lasinterävä
  • Käärmeenlumooja (Faunoidit, #1)
  • Kesän jälkeen kaikki on toisin
  • Et kävele yksin
  • Muistojenlukija (Väki, #1)
  • Lempi
  • Kudottujen kujien kaupunki
  • Kädettömät kuninkaat ja muita häiritseviä tarinoita
  • Kultarinta
  • Evna (Ravneringene, #3)
  • Yöperhonen
  • Things a Bright Girl Can Do
  • Islantilainen voittaa aina – elämää hurmaavien harhojen maassa
  • Princess Princess, Volume 02
  • Dear Julia
  • Hän sanoi nimekseen Aleia (Kaksosauringot, #1)
  • Sinun jälkeesi, Max
  • Musta kuin eebenpuu (Lumikki Andersson, #3)

The Red Abbey Chronicles (3 books)
  • Maresi (Krönikor från Röda Klostret #1)
  • Breven från Maresi (Röda klostret, #3)
“A woman taller and stronger than them was not something they could tolerate.” 4 likes
“I saw the same thing in him as I had seen in the eyes of the men who stole me and my sisters that night, and in the eyes of the men who had sold me for silver and gold: to them I am a thing.” 2 likes