Start by marking “The Party” as Want to Read:
The Party

The Party

It was just a party. But it turned into a nightmare.

‘Compelling, addictive…brilliant’ B A Paris

When Rachel wakes up in a strange room, the morning after a neighbour’s party, she has no memory of what happened the night before. Why did her husband leave her alone at the party? Did they row? Why are Rachel’s arms so bruised? And why are her neighbours and friends so vague ab
Published July 12th 2018 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about The Party, please sign up.
Suzanne Firstly, I thought it may be a change between ARC's for review & publication .. however, when I had a look at all the Editions of this book here on GR…moreFirstly, I thought it may be a change between ARC's for review & publication .. however, when I had a look at all the Editions of this book here on GR, there is one Kindle version that obviously has the wrong synopsis .. the one featuring Tom & Clare must belong to a different book .. Gareth & Rachel are the correct couple on all the other versions ..(less)

Start your review of The Party
Shirley Revill
Left alone at a neighbour's party Rachel wakes up in a strange room with no recollection of how she came to be there. She discovers she has no underwear on and she is battered and bruised but who did this to Rachel? Extremely traumatized she has no idea what to say when she comes downstairs and her neighbours tell her that they thought she had gone home. Her husband thinks she stayed over on purpose and Rachel cannot piece together what happened in the hours she was away from home.
I really enjoy
Pauline
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The Party by Lisa Hall is a psychological thriller about lies, adultery, secrets and revenge.
Rachel wakes up the morning after a New Years Eve party in a strange room. She can't remember where she is or what has happened. She fells sick and disoriented and she knows that something bad has happened to her. Now she has to find out who has attacked her and why.
I would like to thank NetGalley and HQ for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lou
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
'The Party' is the third book to be written by Lisa Hall and is another compelling standalone psychological thriller for us crime buffs to get our teeth into! This is my first time reading a title from this author but having enjoyed this one, I plan to purchase the others for my already incredibly overstuffed bookshelves.

Rachel is a married mother-of-one to her son, Robbie. When she wakes up in bed in her neighbours house after going over there to attend a party, she's naturally very concerned a
Amanda
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for a review.

Rachel wakes up after a New Year’s Eve party, where there was an abundance of alcohol, in a neighbours bed bruised and feeling something bad has happened to her,but with no recollection at all. Her husband Gareth had left the party earlier, but why?

Rachel has to try and figure out what happened and who was at the party, but it seems like everybody has a secret to hide and nobody’s telling the truth.

I did read this book in
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Loved this book - I listened to the whole thing at work today and loved every minute of it. Great narrator in Georgia Macguire, always love books she reads. The story was great, so many twist and turns will have you pointing the finger at all the characters. Also loved that there was a pet beagle called Thor - soooo cute!!
Tammie
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The Party was a solid 3 stars for me. A psychological thriller/mystery book that centers around Rachel. After a New Year’s Eve party, Rachel wakes up the next morning, not in her own house, with absolutely no recollection of what happened to her. Add numerous bruises all over her body and a sick/disoriented feeling, she knows that something bad happened but what and why can’t she remember? Recommended to fans of thriller/mystery books.
Lisa
May 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Rachel wakes up in a room knowing something had happened to her but has no recollection of what is was, she has bruises over her body but is dazed & disorientated, she has no underwear on she is battered as well as the bruising, her husband Gareth will be livid at hwer for not coming home.
She goes home only to find Gareth abusing her for not returning home, he thinks she is with Ted her sons friends father who she had an affair with.

The Continuous arguing gets to rachel & Robbie her son she swea
Bren
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommended to Bren by: Fans of dark mysteries.
'Turning away from the window, I catch sight of myself in the mirror that hangs above the fireplace, and double take; sure at first that someone else is in the room with me, my reflection looks so unfamiliar in that fleeting glimpse".

The Party by Lisa Hall

3.5 stars.

This is some book. And it is a prime example of a book that had me up all night but also had me questioning a few things I did not understand.

This book is about Rachel. She attends her neighbor's party. The next morning she wakes up i
Tan Markovic
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Books can be found at: www.booknerdtan.wordpress.com

Rachel wakes up confused in a strange room the morning after a neighbourhood party. She can't remember anything; all she knows is that she's woken up with no underwear on and bruises all over her body. This intense story follows Rachel and her journey to find out what happened to her that night and how her past will come back to haunt her whilst she does.

The book delves into some very dark subjects however I think the author writes about it ve
Stuart James
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here’s my review of The Party by Lisa Hall

OK, you got me Lisa.
It’s 2-1 to you.
😂😂😂😂

I’m a huge fan of Lisa Hall and have to say that Between You And Me is probably my favourite ever thriller.
So Mrs Hall has set the bar high, like mega high.
The Party is my second thriller by Lisa and boy does it have a lot to live up to.
It’s the story of Rachel, her husband Gareth and their son Robbie.
It centres around a New Years Eve party and all the neighbours are together.
Rachel wakes up the next morning in a r
Michael
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Amnesiac thrillers live and die by their delivery. Done right and you have a tension-filled ride that can keep you engaged for the entire story. But when the opposite the pull of narrative is not sustained and turns into mundane melodrama. Having read my fair share of good and bad from this genre I was interested in seeing how the authors third book would fair.

The general premise drew me in with Rachel the night after attending a party waking up in an unfamiliar room with a sense of dread. She h
Tracy Fenton
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review: The Party is the third book by Lisa Hall and is another superb, twisted standalone psychological thriller.

Rachel, a 40 something married mother of one teenage boy attends a New Years Eve party held at her neighbours house with her husband. She wakes up the morning after alone in a strange bed, half naked and bruised with absolutely no memory of the night before.

And so begins our journey into discovering what happened and more importantly who did this to Rachel. The police are unable t
Aoife
CW: Sexual assault, rape, stalking behavior

I received a free copy of this book from Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review.

When Rachel wakes up after her neighbour's New Year's Eve party, she instantly knows something isn't right. She's covered in bruises and tender in places she shouldn't be, and she can't remember anything from the night before. After Rachel realises that she's been drugged and raped, she starts trying to piece together her memories to discover who hurt her. But who c
Frank Phillips
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this book, but sadly it ended up falling short for me. The story has been done before, and I could guess whodunnit well in advance. My least favorite thing about this book was the Characters!! Not a single one of the main characters was a decent person and even remotely likable. This is a 3 Star read, solely on the fact that the writing was above-average, and it's a well-paced mystery, but that's pretty much it. ...more
Joanne Robertson
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed both previous books by Lisa Hall but have to say that I think The Party is her best book so far! It’s one of those books that once picked up is impossible to put down and I read it in one afternoon, addicted to finding out what had happened to Rachel. I will warn you now that the subject matter may be distressing to some but everything Lisa Hall does feels an accurate representation of the crime committed, which adds to the horror of what has occurred and how Rachel attempts to ...more
Mark
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

‘The Party’ by Lisa Hall published July 26th by HQ

Having read Lisa Hall’s previous 2 books and loved them I was expecting a lot from this 3rd stand alone psychological thriller
The Blurb states ‘It turned into her worst nightmare’...... and for me that combined with the title itself the scene was already set and I was intrigued as to what had happened at ‘the party’ ..... you don’t have to wait long as it opens with Rachel waking up in a neighbours bedroom, she shouldn’t be there, why is she cove
Teresa Nikolic
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel wakes up the morning after a New Years party at her neighbours and doesn't know where she is, after leaving the room she has slept in, she realises it's her neighbours spare room, but why is she there and where is her husband Gareth, who was at the party with her and why is she half naked, bruised and sore.  After briefly speaking to her neighbours, who don't seem to know much either she returns home to look for her husband.  During the course of the next few hours she realises that somet ...more
Marina
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Vomit, vomit, flashback, vomit. Repeat. If there’s a literary prize for the most vomiting incidents in a story, The Party is a real contender.
Chapters alternate between ‘before the party’ and ‘after the party’. The ‘after’ chapters (notwithstanding the vomit) are the most interesting, especially the opening where Rachel wakes up at a party unsure where she is. (I can relate). The ‘before’ chapters were quite long and tedious and could do with a good edit.
There’s a reasonably good suspense stor
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The Party is the authors third book and another dark and gripping read.

Rachel is married to Gareth and they have a teenage son Robbie. We first meet Rachel when she wakes up in a bed in her next doors neighbours house. Obviously alarm bells start ringing as she doesn't remember anything other than arriving at the house and the fact that she only lives next door, why she would be waking up in their house?

Obviously the reader is just as intrigued as to what has happened also. I think due to the n
lexlooksatbooks
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Thank you to the team at HQ stories for sending me an ARC copy of this book. As always, opinions and thoughts are all my own!

The Party is a standalone psychological thriller featuring Lies, Scandal and Revenge. We follow Rachel who wakes up after a new year’s party in a strange room, feeling sick and knowing that something terrible has happened to her.

This book does deal with rape and sexual abuse and my not be suitable for someone who is sensitive to these topics to read. I would also like to
Fiona Mccormick
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book as an arc. It has all the ingredients I love in a psychological thriller, shady characters telling lies and keeping secrets. Rachel wakes up in her neighbour's spare room on New Years Day with the hangover from hell (not an unfamiliar scenario)! She begins to suspect she has been raped at the party the night before, but her memory of events is extremely hazy.
With so little evidence to go on, the police are unsurprisi
Angela
I requested this book as from the blurb I thought it sounded like a cult type event that had occurred at the party and the protagonist, Rachel, would have to piece together all the weirdness. Unfortunately, this is not what I got as this is about the aftermath of a rape.

Despite my disappointment at discovering this was not a culty book, I was then further disappointed by how utterly boring this book actually is.

The writing is clunky and cliched (I counted four times where the line "she let out
Nessa
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Having read this author, Lisa's first book and loved it, I could not wait to read her third book and boy was the wait worth it. I've not had the chance to read her second book but it is very much sitting on my kindle just waiting to be devoured.

Well it's safe to say that author Lisa has produced another outstanding brilliant and gripping read. I don't know how she does it but wow. She really does just have a clever way with words that draws you in and then leaves you gasping and wanting more.

The
Nic
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 whopping stars!

This is my third Lisa Hall book, what a great author. This book, similar to the first, really hooks you in and keeps you gripped.

The story has short concise chapters, not too much description or waffling on, told from one viewpoint, the victim Rachel’s, but told from alternating time periods - before and after the event/crime.

It kept me guessing and I whizzed through it in 24 hours.

Recommended.
Michelle
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
So up until the last couple of pages, this book would’ve definitely been a five star book. I cannot believe the ending...Or lack of. I understand what she was going to do at the end, but how did that play out? I’m not one who likes to draw my own conclusions. I read too many books so I need you to finish it off for me so I can move on to the next.
Otherwise, well written and very creepy at times. And I do enjoy Lisa Hall and look forward to other books from her.
Claire Wilson
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lisa Hall is fast becoming one of those authors that you want to read their next book without even reading the blurb. The Party was like that for me - a fast-paced thriller that keeps you guessing until the end. When Rachel wakes up on New Years Day, the fact that she's in her neighbour's spare bedroom is just the beginning of the mystery. 4 stars ...more
Karen Whittard
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
An easy read when the tag line of the book for once is correct. One little lie can spiral out of control and can change history as we know it. I read this book quickly as it is a quick read. The only downside for me is that I guessed the plot quite early on. But it still gripped me enough to keep reading all the way through.
Maddy Cordell
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the Party, although I did have a good idea who the protagonist might have been.

This is the story of a girl in a rocky marriage, who goes to a neighbour’s party and is drugged and raped. She remembers nothing about the party from entering, to waking up in the spare room very battered and sore.

The story is told pre party, and post party. Very enjoyable until the end which I felt was a little rushed and implausible for several reasons. All in all a good read though.
jean
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good page turner with a post party rape investigation uncovering a number of dark secrets in a small community.
However, i have given a four star review as there were a couple of niggles. I guessed the ending and have to admit to feeling a bit irritated by the number of times Rachel's heart was thumping and belly flipping and Thor the dog who seemed to disappear at various points in the story!
Jessikah Hope
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, thrillers
"She let out a breath she didn't know she was holding"... TWICE
Also where were the character motivations?
Rolling my eyes ... 1 24 Mar 24, 2017 11:32PM