Start by marking “Heatstroke” as Want to Read:
Heatstroke

Heatstroke

Official Description: At twenty-one years old, Richard Lewis Bancroft was on the fast track to fame and fortune. An award-winning start on the Broadway stage led him to the silver screens of Hollywood, where his star began to rise, and his heart fell hard for professional baseball sensation, Manuel Guzman. But there was no script for living out loud with the man of his dre ...more
Published April 28th 2012 (first published July 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Heatstroke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heatstroke

Adam
If you scroll through the reviews for 'Heatstroke', it's a sea of 4 and 5 stars. The average rating for the book is 4.24 stars. Among my friends, the average rating is 4.31 stars.

And then there's me.
description

I couldn't get into the story, mainly for two reasons.

First, the format didn't work for me. Richard and Manny's story is told through letters and journal entries from the 1960s. I just couldn't connect with the two when their romance was being told by a third character decades in the future.

Secondly,
Eden Winters
Dayum. Just... dayum. This is one of the most fantastic stories I've ever read. I understand that Taylor V. Donovan is a new author whose first novel is soon to be published. Look out world! If it's anything like Heatstroke, it will be utterly amazing.

This story captured me, pulled me in, had me wanting to skip work to read, and then I raced home to finish it. It's that good. I loved revisiting the big Hollywood star's past through journal entries, and loved how he wasn't a cheater, even though
A Girl Has No Name
Heatstroke was a fantastic read. It's a very catchy story about first love, sacrifice and about dark family secrets.

Michael, a teenager on the verge of becoming an adult, is staying with his parents at his grandmother's place and he knows that the old woman is hiding something - something important. Since his childhood, he isn't allowed to roam around in the old house and whenever he asks about a famous actor, that happens to look just like him, his grandmother reacts weirdly. When his parents
Vio
Beautiful, captivating story about love, *sigh* hopeless romantic I am. A Wonderful and gorgeously written romance.
Ami
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the stories that have been released for M/M Romance Group's "Hot Summer Days" event, this is probably one of the best. Taylor spins a tale about first love, sacrifice, and triumph, in such respect for the characters. The story is structured into two parts. First, we have Michael, a teenager who is on the way to investigate some family secrets, in order to know more about himself and to the extend, his family tree.

Through the discovery of letters on his grandma's attic, Michael learns abo
Elsbeth

BR, January 13th with Julie.

Beautiful, Beautiful, almost perfect!! I was so suprised with this love story. Such an emotional journey!!!
This ultimate, beautiful story is been told through journals that had been kept in an attic for years.

Michael, the narrator is visiting his grandmother and gets hold of the journals. His whole life his grandmother was a very "unpleasant" person towards him.
He suspects there is more to it!!

"Who is this Richard Lewis Bancroft and what happened to him and his lover
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I put off reading this story for so long and I have no idea why because I absolutely loved it.

It's written in a very unique style. Set in present day, it is told from a teenaged Michael's POV but also from a series of letters he uncovers about a grandfather he never knew about. Michael goes on a little hunt to figure out what happened to him so we got to learn about Richard (the grandfather who was a famous actor) and Manny (the man Richard fell in love with who was a famous baseball player) an
Kade Boehme
Nov 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh. I finished this while on the subway and am quite positive that my giddy bounce and squeal as I read the final line made me look like a crazy person. Yes, I got quite a few funny looks but I could not stop smiling. This short was so beautiful. Such a unique way of story telling. The very first letter from Manny had me ib tears. And there are definitely lots of tears here but like any ending this sweet the tough times are worth it.
Jess
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book in spellbinding and amazing.

It is definitely my favourite free Hot Summer short story. I am feeling kind of guilty about not paying for it because I enjoyed it so very much.

This story cleverly merges two stories into one

It is the story of a nearly 18 you old boy called Michael and his search for answers. He knows his Grandmother has a deep dark secret and what he uncovers is amazing.

Through letters, Journals and internet searches he discover his Grandfather. So the author cleverly inte
Marte - Thunderella
**** 4 happy stars ****

This read almost like a whodunnit sorry,  minus the body,  though!

The story was really good! Greatly written,  great story and plot.

Recommended!

NB! There is an extended version of this story as well. This is a review of the short one, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

A short story in the collection "Don't Read in the Closet, Volume Two" from the MM Romance Group Hot Summer Event 2011.

Click HERE for the story online or    HERE  to
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
5 Stars - KAPOW!

This is one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. I am not a big fan of historical books, but the way this was written is just so very, very clever. Not that it surprised me. Given her intricate storytelling powers shown in her "By Degrees" series, I should have known that Taylor could reel me in by putting a different spin on a historical novel. Anyway, back to this wonderful book ...

Read Barb's full review at Live Your Life, Buy The Book
Alona
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, historical, short
3.8 stars.
I loved the historical story A LOT!
It was beautiful and so touching.
The narrator, Michael, not as much, but he was OK.
Edina Rose
I love the boldness of the happy end. First I was like: euh, then I thought WTH! They deserved it!
CAS
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This is incredible. What an amazing journey. I was completely and totally wrapped up in every single moment and found myself constantly holding my breath and then releasing it with a very deep, satisfied sigh of contentment.
I shed many tears but thankfully mostly happy ones.. This is a breathtakingly beautiful, heartwrenching story with an extremely satisfying and heartwarming new beginning at the end. :)

Thanks SO much.. I will be eagery awaiting the release of Six Degrees of Lust.

Wendy Ann
I'm not sure how a story can be both so heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time, but you managed it! I've never seen this particular style done in a story before (learning about the main characters via past journal entries). I was so worried about how things were going to turn out, but then you gave us an even more beautiful ending than I could have imagined:) I'd love to read more about Michael's father and a love match for Michael of course! Very well done - another story that gave ...more
Rachel Emily
OMG. Wow, this was just beautiful and amazing. I had tears by the end of reading this, it was just so perfect. The journal entries were great and I love Michael investigating it all. This was just wonderful.
Nic
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, free
This was a really good free read. The story involves a young gay man discovering the secret of his mysterious grandfather through reading his journals. The journal entries outline his experience as a gay man in the 1960's. Nicely done.
Shahreen
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!! Such a great story!!!(Can we have a sequel???)
Awesome twist in the end, never saw it coming actually...
Cherie Noel
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better have a hanky ready for this one. You'll need it to mop away the tears so you can keep reading this brilliant novella by Taylor V. Donovan.
SueM
Bravo! A wonderful story that brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for writing it!
Ele
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5**
Michelle
I read this book about a year ago (or is it two years ago?) in the anthology. I never could remember what it was called or which anthology it was even in. It was a book I read once, and never forgot. I am so happy to have come across it again today. I highly recommend this book. It was a truly fantastic story, told in the most unusual way, one that is not very commonly used by authors. I thought it was cleverly done, nicely executed and so romantic, so "awwww!" worthy.
My only critique is (view
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
eh i didn't care for the style i hate flash backs and the journal entries were pretty much just flashbacks. then sometimes the annoying 17 year old MC would flashback to what happened the night before or some other pointless little thing which just annoyed me. why not just tell a continuous story why have to hope all around? The journal entries were continuous by date which i quickly lost track of dates since most journal entries where short and so many it felt tedious just reading them let alon ...more
Heather C
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather C by: Jess
4.5 Stars

I really, really liked this story! It was about a young man, Michael, on a mission to reveal his deep, dark family secrets. The story is set in present day but revolves around the personal journals of a man named Richard written in the early 1960s. Okay, to be honest the journal parts were a bit boring in the beginning, but then I really started loving Richard and was disappointed each time the story went back to the present day. Also, the mystery was a bit predictable but I loved every
Quinn
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arb-freebie
I read this one as part of Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Two, but it deserves to be called out on its own.

Heatstroke was one of the best short stories - any genre- that I have had the pleasure to read. I cannot believe such superb storytelling was offered for free. I would have been happy to pay for this one. It made me smile, it made me cry, and it made me want to hug it when I finished.

Perfect.
E
I am nearly speechless. This was truly one of the most incredibly well-written stories I have ever read. The Journal entries were absolutely amazing. I am sniffling a bit, grinning a bit and generally incredibly happy I stayed up until 2am to read this. Thank You Taylor for an incredible read! And I am SO, SO, freaking happy that Manny and Richard got their HEA they deserved it, as did Michael, who has hope and a vision for what he wants his future to hold: True. Real. Love. *happy sigh*
Alex
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free, queer, romance
Wow. Just, wow. That was an amazing story that had me from the get-go, and it was a wonderfully unique way of telling it. I was as anxious as Michael was while he read the journal entries, and I wanted to skip to the end, to make sure everything turned out like I expected, but I suffered right alongside our narrator as everything was revealed. A magnificent story! Thank you for writing this for us!
Bernice
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you enjoy a truly heart warming, light hearted, HEA story as much as I do, this is a must read. The story telling style is phenomenal and really spoke to my soul. Could not put this one down, cover to end, and was rewarded with a rather surprising, but oh so wonderful ending. So well done, Taylor! **sigh**
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• More Than Words
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Cupid's Beau
  • Mourning
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
Taylor V. Donovan is a compulsive reader and author of gay romance and suspense. She is optimistically cynical about humanity and a lover of history, museums, and all things 80s. She shamelessly indulges in mind-numbing reality television, is crazy about fashion, and passionate about civil rights and equality for all.

For more information please visit www.taylorvdonovan.com