Start by marking “Vallas Y Ventanas” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Vallas Y Ventanas

Naomi Klein

Vallas Y Ventanas

Naomi Klein’s No Logo is an international bestselling phenomenon. Winner of Le Prix Mediations (France), and of the National Business Book Award (Canada) it has been translated into 21 languages and published in 25 countries.

Named one of Ms Magazine’s Women of Year in 2001, and declared by the Times (London) to be “probably the most influential person under the age of 35
Published (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Vallas Y Ventanas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vallas Y Ventanas

Start your review of Vallas Y Ventanas
Erin
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
while this is a good collection of klein's articles and there are a few standout pieces - chiapas, the social centers of italy - overall i'd rather read her focused non-fiction than this. shock doctrine and no logo blow this one out of the water.
Andrew
Acceptable left-wing reportage from Naomi Klein, even if her optimism and naivete can be a bit grating at points, and some of these essays have aged as well as a film review in Ain't It Cool News circa 1998. For instance, her report on the carnivalesque street protests that accompanied the meetings of various global elites in the '90s were horrifically self-important (raise your hands if you never want to hear phrases like "culture jamming" ever, ever again), even if as they went on, she ...more
Malcolm
Klein, along with Arudhati Roy, is one of the star commentators on current activist politics – and paradoxically a sort of celebrity activist. Readers should not approach this collection of reports, commentaries and journalism looking for the sort of thesis-driven analysis of current trends seen in either No Logo or The Shock Doctrine, but should expect to (and do) find inspiring tales of struggle and resistance, and developing alternatives to the current anti-democratic, exploitative, ...more
Clivemichael
Both Inspiring/enlightening and discouraging. Much has remained the same or has gotten worse. Great writing; well deserved praise for her reports and observations, she nails it frequently:
"....when Wally Olins, co-founder of... brand consultancy, was asked for his take on America’s image problem, he complained that people don’t have a single clear idea about what the country stands for but rather have dozens if not hundreds of ideas that ”are mixed up in people’s heads in a most extraordinary
Harvey
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
- well-written and intelligent (Klein is brilliant, with ideas as revolutionary as Marshall McLuhan's - who was also a Canadian, by the way).
- not rated as highly as her 'No Logo', which was ground-breaking, and the best thing I have ever read on the subject of Corporate Branding...unfortunately 'Fences And Windows:...', although an interesting collection of Klein's essays, speeches, and newspaper-columns - doesn't really introduce any new arguments.
- She does add evidence, and reformulates her
Marc
I liked her earlier book, "No Logo" but this one seemed to drag a bit. It was also a bit repetitive in places, I guess because these were actually written as op-ed or other pieces that she collected together for the book. It is still quite relevant given the silly season going on in the US at this time. Sadly folks in the US would not likely read this and most wouldn't get it if they did. Otherwise how do you explain Trump.

P.S. I have been away from my Goodreads desk for several months. My
Dawn
It's an eye opening book about where and how our food comes from, how capitalism affects the poorer classes on a global scale so that most of us can live more comfortably--or rather how big corporations exploit the poor and undeveloped to increase profits. It's not as good as "No Logo" or "Shock Doctrine," but it still gets you thinking about how to help change the global economy before the entire planet is destroyed.
Minku
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people
I used to have a used copy of this book. I liked it. Naomi Klein is a pretty kick-ass writer and researcher. This book is a good overview of various perspectives on neoliberal capitalism, and why it's important for you to pay attention and take sides (hopefully with the anti-capitalist direct-democracy types of people, rather than the anti-democratic corporate types or the anti-human religioso-fundies).
Drew Pyke
This was put together after No Logo but chronicles events over a wide period of time, such as the nascent WTO protests in 1999 Seattle. There is so much subject matter in this book from Zapatistas, Commons, IMF and The World Social Forum. Looking back it would read a book of its time but well worth a read if interested in the anti capitalist movement of the 90s and early 00s. Comparable with Arundhati Roy and Noam Chomsky.
Tanvir Muntasim
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing collection of true stories of people's resistence all around the world. A lot of writers would criticise how the world is, but would fall short of citing positive examples of how the world can be changed for the better...but not Naomi. She cites examples to live by and draw inspiration from.
Alex
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I largely share Klein's worldview (and have in fact taught her), she is never one to let things like strict factual accuracy get in the way of points made. This is not to say that Klein is not an intelligent or engaging writer, it is more that one needs to take much of what she needs to say with a grain of salt.
Oritje Sepmarama
Aug 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Don Ropes student!
Yes...yes....I am reading her book again. This time it was volunteering. As a former Mass Communication student, Globalisation watcher, and a CURRENT World Bank loan beneficiary agent......I MUST read this book to keep my feet on the ground and my eye on the reality.

Besides, it is easier to watch the predator's moves from its own nest
Imraan
Mar 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
An extremely provocative and insightful view of the hidden world politics and policies that secretly ravage the well-being of the world's poorest of the poor nations, and how the wealthy nations thrive off of this imbalance.
Natassia
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This amazing collection of articles discusses the movement against corporate globalization and for self-determination and local democracy. Really moving and just left me wanting more - updates on all these local and international fights.
Taija O
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books, 2010
This book gave for me, an industrial engineering student, new perspectives to politics and economy. Economy is not simple, especially global economy. I feel a bit contradictory, but that's just good. I have a lot to think.
Estelle
May 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Going back in time a bit, and probably a bit more honest than her later books
Matteo
Nov 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naomi Klein's writing is clear, direct and incisive. A collection of essays about corporate power and popular resistance.
D'Arcy
Nov 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this all last night and this morning. I have lots and lots to say about it, thus I will be writing about it on my blog later on today!
MacDara Conroy
Bad typography makes this collection of articles and essays on globalisation much harder to read than it should be.
D
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
inspiring and recommended to those who need some good news for a change.
Spicy T AKA Mr. Tea
More of Klein's great journalism around globalization.
Lindsay Wilson
This book was pretty okay, but I'm not going to lie, I didn't read the whole thing. It turns out books about current events become a lot less interesting when the events aren't current anymore.
Carole
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speeches, articles, presented from 2001 and 2002 on int'l events and gatherings by alternative efforts to bring local democracy to all.
Mr
Mar 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
more writings on the evils of corporations and globalization. good stuff
Guswong
i love her, but don't bother with this book.
John
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She is wonderful! and so dead-on!
Shannon Burns
This was not that interesting.
Tom Darrow
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A solid follow up/postscript to her book No Logo.
Kenneth
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Todd
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a great book to introducing anyone into the world of globalization.

• Hopes and Prospects
  • Criminals, Idiots, Women, & Minors: Victorian Writing by Women on Women
  • Freaks, Geeks, and Cool Kids: American Teenagers, Schools, and the Culture of Consumption
  • More than Honey: The Survival of Bees and The Future of Our World
  • Coercion: Why We Listen to What "they" Say
  • The Death of the Liberal Class
  • Out of the Wreckage: A New Politics in the Age of Crisis
  • The Corporation: The Pathological Pursuit of Profit and Power
  • Storms Of My Grandchildren: The Truth About The Climate Catastrophe And Our Last Chance To Save Humanity
  • Don't Even Think About It: Why Our Brains Are Wired to Ignore Climate Change
  • A Quiet Life
  • Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  • Long Way Round: Chasing Shadows Across the World
  • Tool of War (Ship Breaker, #3)
  • Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right
  • Falter: Has the Human Game Begun to Play Itself Out?
  • Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland
  • Systems of Survival: A Dialogue on the Moral Foundations of Commerce and Politics
Naomi Klein is an award-winning journalist, syndicatedcolumnist, documentary filmmaker and author of theinternational bestsellers No Logo: Taking Aim at theBrand Bullies, The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of DisasterCapitalism and This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs.the Climate. She is a senior correspondent for The Interceptand her writing appears widely in such publications asThe New York Times,
“International trade minister Pierre Pettigrew...........said 'the victims are not only exploited, they're excluded.......You may be in a situation where you are not needed to create that wealth. This phenomenon of exclusion is far more radical than the phenomenon of exploitation.' ....
Which is why a society that blithely accepts this included/excluded ledger is an unsafe society, filled with people with little faith in the system, who feel they have nothing to gain from the promises of prosperity coming out of gatherings such as the Summit of the Americas, who see the police only as a force of repression. who have nothing to lose.”
0 likes
“Just when Americans most need information about the outside world - and their country's complicated and troubling place in it - they are only getting themselves reflected back, over and over and over: Americans weeping, Americans recovering, Americans cheering, Americans praying. A media house of mirrors, when what we all need are more windows on the world.” 0 likes