Start by marking “American Tragedy” as Want to Read:
American Tragedy

American Tragedy

The riveting account of the O.J. Simpson murder trial is told in the uncensored words of Simpson's closest confidants and attorneys. American Tragedy reveals the answers to many of he case's unexplained questions for the first time. What happened to the missing Louis Vuitton bag? How did Simpson's team stage a deception during the jury's visit to his mansion? You've heard ...more
Published July 1st 1997 by Avon (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about American Tragedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Tragedy

Phil
Mar 24, 2017 added it
I know it took me forever to read this, but I've been playing an obscene amount of Legend of Zelda. Honestly, of all the O.J. books I've read (and there's been a lot) this was one of the best. Despite being *ahem* HEAVILY biased towards the defense, the culmination of the courtroom drama read like a novel. Schiller represented Darden's and Clark's closing arguments more faithfully and more poetically than they did in their own respective memoirs. The defense strategy, while egregious and unethic ...more
Dorie
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
OJ Simpson.....after reading this book, I feel even more sorry for any women in his life. This book is very biased and slanted in its views and analysis, but it is very thorough. It does bring up some interesting points, but for me.....I think he had something to do with it, he had to have, or there would not have been such a chase, and such a random ridiculous verdict. If you enjoy true crime or interested in this case, this book is definitely one to read.
Julie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought it was a decent book, but by far not the best book written on this subject. It was very tedious and long with a lot of characters' names to remember. Although I still believe OJ to be guilty, I now have doubts about Mark Furhman planting evidence. Based on his perjury, I would have to had vote to acquit, which I never thought I would.
Kareem
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great 'inside' look inside OJ's defense team. It was fascinating learning about all the internal strife and stories that went on between Cochran and Shapiro and F. Lee Bailey. You wondered why and how certain situations played out as they did and Schiller answers just about all of those questions.
Lisa Mcbroom
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Study of the O>j> case. Among other things Schiller exaimnes Ojs choosing of the "Dream Team" and their strengths they brought to the case.....
Chuck Hemesath
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is about the 10th book I have read regarding the OJ Simpson trial and this book further solidifies my belief that OJ is guilty as hell. Amazing to think that not only did a few of OJs lawyers believe he was guilty but so did some of his very close friends, yet he walks a free man. This book outlines the strategy taken by the defense team to undermine the mountain of evidence that was logged against OJ. This book shows that lies, deceit and manipulation unfortunately works in our justice sys ...more
Anne Stratton
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
..I am glad I read this book!

Excellent , well written. I found myself changing my things all thru the book. Without any doubt , I am now convinced he did indeed murder Nicole and Goldman
I have experienced the mindset of a jealous man, and was married to a very similar individual who was as sick as O.J.

Sheri
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Step by step guide on how the defense helped Simpson get away with murder.
Sharon Leigh
Waaaay too long.
Caroline
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
Dina
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
'American Tragedy' gives you an inside look at OJ Simpson’s defense team. I remember the entire OJ saga, it was such a big story - the "Trial of the Century". With the constant media coverage and the trial itself being broadcast live everyday on network television, everyone involved instantly became household names. For his defense, OJ had assembled a team of lawyers who became known as the Dream Team, which included high profile lawyers such as Alan Dershowitz, Robert Shapiro, F. Lee Bailey, an ...more
Lisa
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recently watched the miniseries about the O.J. Simpson murder trial on TV and it got me wanting to read some of the books that I didn't read right after the trial back in the mid-90s. I have gone through 7 or 8 of them and this was the last one. I'm now ready to let that subject go again!

This book was written by Lawrence Schiller who had ghostwritten O.J's book that came out while he was still in jail, "I Want to Tell You", so Schiller's lengthy tome here (around 700 pages) focuses exclusively
Jessica Crews
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'll start my review by explaining that I was 12-13 while this trial was going on. I remember it happening, but I couldn't tell you anything about the details except that there were bloody gloves and a slow speed bronco chase involved. I decided to read a few books about the case, and this is the first I chose.

I think the book is pretty well written, although incredibly biased toward the defense. There was some weird formatting, but that may have just been something that didn't transfer properly
Pat Empson
Oct 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Too much detail, especially on the blood evidence and racist emphasis in the OJ trial. I'm still unsure if the author had an opinion on the verdict. The focus on Fuhrman's racism and the supposed missteps of the investigation and evidence gathering puts a bad light on the whole murder trial and its outcome. Not a good read and I admit that I did a lot of speed reading to skip over the boring parts. Everyone has an opinion as the guilt of OJ but I for one feel that he got away with murder. The de ...more
Mary Narkiewicz
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Yes, I"m reading this now. It seems to keep me enthralled.. Interesting study of lawyers ..or at least.. famous lawyers. It's a huge book. Over 600 pages.. I'm heading toward page 200.

Update- I didn't read all of this book. I grew weary of the lawyers and the bickering.. got to page 300 and something.. and put it away. It's in the donate bag! This is the same thing I did with the Marcia Clark book. I think I"m done with reading about the case... I think.

Since I spent so much time reading it, wel
Amanda
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an exhaustive look at the defense team and case of OJ Simpson. While I don't want to opine about the verdict or his innocence or guilt, I will say this book did what I needed which was present the evidence gathered and the strategy employed in a fairly unbiased way. The author had a role to play with Simpson and certainly benefitted from his relationship with the team, but unless he left out whole pieces of the narrative, he drew a fairly journalistic picture. This case was not a cut an ...more
Dawn
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. Schiller's style of comprehensively synthesizing the experiences of all of the members of Simpson's defense team is compelling. I particularly enjoyed the insight he provided, which I had not read elsewhere - and that's saying a lot, because I've read several books on this topic. A must-read for those interested in the OJ trial, and for those who are interested in practicing law.
Fiona Louise
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first insight into the OJ trial. It is VERY long and sometimes difficult to follow as there are so many characters and the authors are not consistent when naming them, sometimes using Christian names, sometimes surnames. Having said that, I felt compelled to keep reading and enjoyed feeling like I got to know the main characters very well.
Anna
Dec 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
The book shows that police was very careless and sloppy in this case adding fuel to the fire by racial insults towards Afroamericans. O.J. Simpson could kill his ex-wife and her friend, but no sure evidence was found. So juries said not guilty.
Mario Valverde
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

It was my first encounter with OJ Simpsons trial. I enjoyed the defense 's perspective it was written on as I'm a lawyer myself though in my country we don't follow the common law system. I will surely read more about it.
Julie
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-nook
With the 20 year anniversary of this crime here I stumbled onto this book. It was a very interesting read and took me right back to watching the trial. I have less respect for the defense team then I even had before, what a joke of a trial this was.
Theresa
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O. J. Trial

This book was well written. The best book by far that I've read on the trial. There were so many mistakes made by the prosecution I can't see any other verdict Han the one that was given by the jury.
Tom Kammerer
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great detail, interesting perspective compared to many other books on subj, makes one wonder about "certainty" of verdict; take away a great distrust of legal profession;
Sheik
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The LAPD was careless, sloppy and mishandled evidence. By their actions prior to the trial, they made it very difficult to establsh the truth. Jury still out on this one!!
Sera
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own
If you are going to read one book about the Simpson trial, this is the one.
G Ream
Dec 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
OJ has reaped what he has sown...... rot in that cell.
ag Berg
Dec 16, 2010 rated it did not like it
Don't know why I bothered, tedious. I knew the story and the ending!
Barbara
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
The most complete book I've seen on this subject, done with a lot of help from Robert Kardashian.
Kristin Protas
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting read but not extremely well written.
Dec 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
This may sound silly, but I started to really loathe this book because it defended Simpson. Of course the telling words in the title The Uncensored Story of the Simpson Defense might have been my first clue. I guess it made me realize that if I want to read a book on OJ, I need to read one called He Was Guilty as Hell And Should Have Gone Away Forever (is that book out yet?). The complete braggadocio made my stomach turn. I did read Vincent Bugliosi's Five Reasons Why OJ Simpson Got Away With Mu ...more

• O.J. is Innocent and I Can Prove It
  • Raging Heart: The Intimate Story of the Tragic Marriage of O.J. and Nicole Brown Simpson
  • I Want to Tell You: My Response to Your Letters, Your Messages, Your Questions
  • Silent Witness: The Untold Story of Terri Schiavo's Death
  • Nicole Brown Simpson: the Private Diary of a Life Interrupted
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Elizabeth Leads the Way: Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Right to Vote
  • Tillie the Terrible Swede: How One Woman, a Sewing Needle, and a Bicycle Changed History
  • Sinatra: The Life
  • Only Opal
  • Outrage: The Five Reasons Why O.J. Simpson Got Away with Murder
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin'
  • The Wrong Stuff
  • His Name is Ron: Our Search for Justice
  • Emily
  • Letting Swift River Go
  • The Sinatra Files: The Secret FBI Dossier
The ubiquitous Lawrence Schiller was born in 1936 in Brooklyn, and grew up in San Diego. After graduating from Pepperdine College, he went to work for Life magazine and the Saturday Evening Post as a photojournalist. His photographic abilities, both technical and artistic, laid the foundation for what has become nothing less than an astonishing career.

Schiller first made his name by photographing