Start by marking “Maybe Don't Wanna (Simple Man, #2)” as Want to Read:
Maybe Don't Wanna (Simple Man, #2)

Maybe Don't Wanna

(Simple Man #2)

Peter Parker Penn.

Unlike the superhero his mother named him after, Parker is no good guy.

In fact, if there’s a picture in the dictionary under anti-hero, it’s his.

Parker’s spent his life trying to get back on the right side of the tracks, but each step he takes forward, he takes two more steps back.

To save one, he hurts others. To make this good, he turns that bad.

For appe
Paperback
Published May 4th 2018

Start your review of Maybe Don't Wanna (Simple Man, #2)
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
Once again, Lani Lynn Vale gave me another swoon-worthy hero to love. She's got a real knack for creating such perfect book boyfriends and Peter Parker Penn was definitely one to add to the list.

Parker really knew how to beat himself up. He was truly a good guy, but some stuff in his past and some of his past behavior left a huge mark on him. He did things that he regretted, some almost instantly, and he's had a hard time forgiving himself. On top of all that, he was no stranger to tragedy. This
 Leo (Queen of the Rants and Spoilers)
Based on my calculations (by the preview on the back of book 1) the hero in this book is 44, 45? And the heroine is almost or the same age as the heroine from book 1 meaning she's in her earlies 20s.
Book 4 will have another older hero by 20 years.
Yippee this series are about older men with young women.
I don't mind older heroes but not to the point where they seem they're like the fathers or grandparents of the heroines.

So moving on.
Now this is just my calculations.
Gi's Spot Reviews
5 ‘Simply PERFECT’ Stars

Only one word can describe this book: PERFECTION!

Perfect storyline!
Perfect Hero: Perfect Peter Parker Penn (see, it even fits his name, lol)!
Perfect Heroine: Kayla was the best!
Perfect hilarious, ROFL moments! Seriously, Kayla and Janie were AWESOME!
Perfect steamy moments: Parker and Kayla’s chemistry was insane!
Most of all, PERFECT emotions and heart touching moments! Yes, Lani Lynn Vale had me once again crying and even sobbing for FOUR freaking times. Sure, one of tho
Vashti
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alla
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Shelves: didi-reviews

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Lani Lynn Vale had me horrified, sobbing, laughing out loud, fanning myself, melting and sobbing uncontrollably in Maybe Don't Wanna.

When I started this book I didn't know if I would be able to continue, it's that dang heartbreaking, but I couldn't give up on it because I've been intrigued by Parker and I've loved Kayla since she was a little girl.  There is a big physical age difference between Parker and Kayla, but emotionally I felt they were well matched because due to inci
Mikky (Nocturnal Predators Reviews)
DNF At 38 minutes

Can Janie not be a part of this book, please? I couldn't stand the hospital scene at the beginning of this novel. If Kayla doesn't want to be there that's her prerogative, period. The pact that they made when they were younger was also a joke. Why would you obligate one to have a child if the other got knocked-up? Their friendship is my worst nightmare and a strong pass from me.

Parker actually started to sound like a decent guy but after the Janie thing, I just couldn't stand an
Joelle
Let's start off by saying that I just love this author's books as each and every-time I read something of hers she just wow's me.

Right from the beginning of this story Kayla and Janie had me laughing up a storm and out loud more than once and I continued just that to the very end of the story.I loved the story from the beginning to the very end and everything in between.

What I loved most about this story was the amazing cast of character's that it had.I also loved Kayla's and Janie's friendship
Saly
The writing style just wasn't me. ...more
Rosa Sharon (iScream Book Blog)

"Like to like. Broken recognizes broken."

I'm a huge Lani Lynn Vale fan and have enjoyed many of her books and series. I especially enjoy how her series crossover and I get to see favorite characters in all of them. But I have to say, Maybe Don't Wanna is special. It's so good I cried.

I admit that I'm drawn to broken characters, and Parker is definitely broken. He sees himself as bad. "I was bad. Bad news. Bad attitude. Bad for her. Bad at relationships. Bad, bad, bad." And there was noth
Jess
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please stop with these guys robbing the cradle 🙁

First I’ll say what I didn’t like. 1) I dislike stories where authors write about characters that were babies in prior books. It’s weird to me. 2) Janie was in this book too much at the beginning, and she’s irritating as hell (which is part of why her book was a DNF with me). 3) It’s gross when there is a huge age gap in the characters. No one should be hooking up with someone their parent’s age.

Now for the good stuff: the storyline was great. If I
Lisa Stacks
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Book 2 in this series that is a spin off of the Free Bird Series. Kayla is Jamie (Book1 ) best friend raised at the Free compound she young & Free spirited with baggage. Peter Parker maybe named after a super hero but has lots of old bagged from the past. But he maybe finding himself in Kayla as they find there way. A book full of heart, hot alphas & yes some suspense. A great follow up from book 1 - please read in order to enjoy this series fully.
Lindsay
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it

Oy. This book.

Ok, so I love Lani Lynn Vale's books. There is only a VERY small handful of books by her that I didn't love, or even really like. But this series isn't off to a great start for me. And I'm not quite sure why that is.

The beginning of this book really grated on me. I liked meeting Parker and Kayla. I liked seeing where they came from, where they currently were and what led them to each other. Those parts I liked....but unfortunately, there was way to much Janie in this boo
phoebess
Oh, my. I had to lock my heart in the bathroom (only because there isn't any closet that can be locked) to prevent Peter Parker Penn from stealing it right from the first sentence... I knew he wouldn't be willing to take more than one girlfriend at a time. So I had to protect myself, you know.
Kayla and Parker's relationship was the crossroad of innocence and sexiness. I adored how they interacted with each other, how they help each other to overcome their issues. It also loved the fact that alth
Rebecca
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Peter Parker Penn has to be one of the most self-loathing heroes I’ve been introduced to in a long time. He epitomizes the idea that people are their own worst enemies and critics. Peter constantly tortures himself over his past misdeeds, even though he knows that the actions he took were wrong and it’s clear that he feels remorse over making bad decisions that affected others in negative ways.

I have to admit that it was overwhelmingly frustrating to hear Peter’s self-recriminations, but there’s
Brandy Roberts
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another five star read by the talent that is Lani Lynn Vale , Loved this book like all of this authors books she has her readers feel everything that the characters are going through so be prepared to be on a roller coaster of emotions that you don't want to get off of . Maybe Don't wanna can be read as a standalone even though it is next gen from the freebirds series so it focuses on the kids now grown up falling in love but I HIGHLY suggest / recommend that you at least read Boomtown , keys to ...more
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
There was a large part of the book that had me laughing so hard, then there were moments that I cried from sadness. This one of the best books so far. Now, still a few flubs here and there with consistency and editing, but not terribly bad. I loved this one.

I also liked that, finally, one of the guys with all their background and skills, didn't get caught unawares and get put in danger along with the woman in his life. That was getting a bit old.

The reason it didn't get a full 5 stars is because
Jamie
I really did not care for this book. As with most books I read by this author, I found it really....I don’t even know the word for them I just know I more often than not don’t like them.

I think the heroine was supposed to come off as quirky and funny and cute but I found her annoying and immature. She acted like a fifteen year old. I also think her friendship with Janie was supposed to be funny, but I also didn’t find that funny just annoying.

Also the h and H didn’t meet until like 15% and I al
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
I'm just going to put it out there that Kayla is my spirit animal. Yup....the obsession with holes....the constant questions....the banter with the best friend....she checks every box for me. I love my heroines smart, strong and sassy. That's Kayla.

Parker is not a good guy. Well, he is now but he didn't start out that way. In his younger years he was a punk ass street thug that did some bad bad things. When he had the chance to get out he did but then the consequences of that decision cost him e
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description
Emotional punch….

I know that any title I pick up by this author will be an emotional, sexy read. There will be family, good and bad. There will be friends, usually the “got your back”, drop everything, like family kind of friends. Suspense, danger, complicated storylines. No wonder I love them so much! Peter and Kayla’s story ended up being one of my favourites, which says a lot since I have many….

“He was tall, broad-shouldered and looked like he ate little girls like me for breakfast.”

From
MJ's Book Blog and Reviews
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review by: Jennifer
(5 stars)

I don't care what anyone says, this is a spin off and you really should start at Boomtown and work your way through the other series' until getting to these. The character's are all featured starting at Lani's very first book, and for you to get the feels that this book gives, its just better to be caught up with everything first. So those that complain about this series, if you haven't read the previous books, that is your own fault.

Kayla.... I can't even begin to fi
Red Cheeks Reads
5 SMOOCHES!

Lani Lynn Vale’s books just make me happy. With the way all of her series crossover and intertwine, each time I pick up a new book, it’s is like a once-a-month visit with some old friends. The Simple Man Series is a next generation series in that the characters are the children of the heroes and heroines in Vale’s first series, Freebirds, or the Free Kids as Vale refer to them.

I love broken heroes—something about them just calls to me, and Lani served up a truly broken man in Peter Pa
Kristin ~ Book Lovers Obsession

First things first - yes there is an age difference. A pretty significant difference. However with the way LLV writes all of her characters you don't really even think about the difference unless it's brought up in the book. Do not let this dictate whether you try the book. It is an amazing story of two equally broken people trying to find their happiness. And the perfect level of steam to go along with it!

Pet
Brandi
I'm so glad I went back to give Parker & Kayla's story a second chance because it was pretty darn good! It was filled with laughs, steam, sass, sadness & a little danger here & there.

I will never fully forgive Parker for what he did to Loki all those years ago (I just can't, so don't waste your breath trying to convince me) but everything else about him, I really liked. The way he cared for Gunner & Jett (Oh, gods, Jett. That was horrible.), the way he worked with Carmen, the way he cherished K
Britt The Hatters
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am loving the Simple Man series! Getting to see the kids from Freebirds all grown up and falling in love with the same level of hilarity, suspense, and sweetness that Lani is the master of is indescribably awesome. Kayla and Parker’s story is another double dose of epic. Both characters we know and love (and maaaaybe question a bit) from previous books there was definitely more fangirl squealing from me when I read the blurb. There story has me feeling all kinds of things. I ugly cried (thanks ...more
Heather
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ryan - Sweet Red Reader
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of the book.

She got me again! At this point, Lani Lynn Vale's books are like crack to me - I know I should probably resist, but I just can't not read them. Her characters and situations never cease to amaze me with their intense histories and issues. In Maybe Don't Wanna, we get an ex-gang member, turned SEAL, turned man with a particular set of skills, turned tow-truck operator and an orphan virgin in her early twenties, struggling with finding a c
LaVida Brisco - One Last Page Book Blog
Triple P

***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review***

I don't know how this woman does it but time and time again she draws you in and holds you hostage with the stories she weaves from a brilliant mind like hers. This story will touch you while making you cry with what both of these lost souls have been through. Peter Parker Penn has had a life where everyone he loved has died and he believes that its all his fault. With only one remaining member he tries his best to become a better man th
Emily
Peter Parker Penn doesn't believe he deserves a break, his past mistakes have made him a loner. Even though his reasons were to protect those he loved, they still haunt him to this day. Then he meets Kayla Nash, she talks about everything and nothing, she is a breath of fresh air and he would give anything to have her but knows he should not.

Kayla sees something in Peter that reminds her of herself. He is alone, she is alone. When a moment between them builds to something more can Peter puts his
Marika
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved loved loved this book!
Parker thinks he is a bad man and everyone around him seems to thinks so to..but to me he is not a bad man..he just made bad choices for the right reason..family.
Kayla is obsessed with the man..at first glance she was a goner..and no matter what she stands by him.
The story wasn't all unicorns and rainbows, yet I smiled a lot. Kayla is hilarious. Parker showed a softer side with her and I liked it a lot.
If you add suspense to an already charged story ..boom..hooked!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Addicted to You (SAPD SWAT, #2)
  • Justice for You (SAPD SWAT #5)
  • Hammered with You (Ross Brothers, #2)
  • Surrender to You (SAPD SWAT, #1)
  • Cuffed by You (SAPD SWAT #3)
  • Protected by You (SAPD SWAT #4)
  • Nailed by You (Ross Brothers, #1)
  • Until Talon (Until Her/Him, #9)
  • Frisked by You (SAPD SWAT #6)
  • Max (Ride: Second Generation #1)
  • Wrecker (Fallen Lords MC #4)
  • Stalked (Predators MC #4)
  • Getting the Axe (Ross Brothers, #3)
  • His Sweetness (Wounded Souls, #1)
  • Until Cobi (Until Her/Him, #7)
  • Hooking Him (How to Catch an Alpha #3)
Lani Lynn Vale is married to the love of her life that she met in high school. She fell in love with him because he was wearing baseball pants. Ten years later they have three perfectly crazy children and a cat named Demon who likes to wake her up at ungodly times in the night. They live in the greatest state in the world, Texas. She writes contemporary and romantic suspense, and has a love for al ...more

Simple Man (5 books)
  • Kinda Don't Care (Simple Man #1)
  • Get You Some (Simple Man, #3)
  • Ain't Doin' It (Simple Man, #4)
  • Too Bad So Sad (Simple Man, #5)

News & Interviews

“Why are there upper and lowercase letters, but not numbers? Sometimes I want to write loud numbers, and I can’t do that since there aren’t any uppercase numbers.” 1 likes
“I’m not a glass half full or a glass half empty kind of person. I’m more of a ‘where did I put my goddamn glass’ kind of person.” 0 likes