Start by marking “Hard Line (The Woodbury Boys, #2)” as Want to Read:
Hard Line (The Woodbury Boys, #2)

Hard Line

(The Woodbury Boys #2)

Premed student Tobias Benton is making amends for his past. He keeps his head down, mouth shut and colors within the lines. But when his close friend Ghost goes missing, Tobias will do whatever it takes to get answers—including using blackmail to enlist some help. The last thing he’s looking for is romance.

Private investigator Sullivan Tate isn’t above a little breaking an
Published April 2nd 2018 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Hard Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hard Line

Start your review of Hard Line (The Woodbury Boys, #2)
Judith
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

Tobias was always a good boy,eager to please.When he was young he announced he was going to be a doctor so he could spend all his days with his Papa....
What he hadn't expected was that,when he got older,it would be a given that he would follow in his Papa's footsteps and go into the medical profession.The pressure of expectations proves too much for him and his actions cause him to be admitted to The Woodbury Centre where he meets Church and Ghost who along with Tobias were introduced in book
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
I'm going to try not to gush. Let's see how that goes. But when you find an author whose words speak to you... the struggle is real. You should see how many highlights I made in this thing. I think the highlighting feature gave me the bird at one point. Sassy kindle.

I jumped on the Sidney Bell bandwagon when I saw everyone adding Loose Cannon. I was on NetGalley, it was on NetGalley so why not? That was the best decision I've made in awhile because she turned out to be my breakout author of 2017
Diana
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hard Line (Woodbury Boys #2) by Sidney Bell is a beautiful, well written story that sucked me in from the beginning. I read book 1, Loose Cannon last year, and I was anxious to read about the quiet and kind hearted Tobias.

Tobias Benton is used being an excellent student, a good son, and a good brother. Lately he is struggling with what he wants from his life and what his parents expect from him, even though he is 24 years old. He is also searching for his best friend, Ghost, and he hires a Pri
Fabi
This turned out to be a long and rambling review so I'm going to add a bulleted highlight up here for those most of you who'd rather not spend precious reading time on a review.

❇️Five stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

❇️This is book 2, read Loose Cannon first. It's also five stars.

❇️This one is about Tobias. Holy crap! Who knew?!

❇️Ghost (from book 1) goes missing. Ghost 💔

❇️Tobias meets PI Sullivan. Sullivan you're my hero!

❇️Sullivan helps Tobias discover many things about himself. 😳😳😳 There is a well done BDSM them
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

Loved it!

I really loved this coupling. Sullivan was such a great character and the perfect match for Tobias.

Tobias was adopted to a Haitian couple as a baby. He and his other adopted brother and sisters were raised in a pretty strict home. Tobias has known about how his adoption came about since he was 10 unbeknownst to his parents. Since revealing at a very young child that he wanted to work in medicine like is father he has tried his best to stick by his statement. Tobias is what you
Simone
Dec 26, 2017 marked it as dnf
Shelves: series, romance-drama
DNF @ 25% and no rating

Why always me??? *whines*

Please don't shoot me... It's apparently the clichéd 'everybody loved it but me' - again - and I should probably resign myself to the fact that this author and I just don't gel.

I thought I was ready. I thought Ghost would pull me through this story like he did in Loose Cannon, but just like in all of her books Sidney Bell takes ages to cut to the chase - too long for me - and I'm bored. It also doesn't help that I can't connect to the characte
Moony Eliver
4.5 stars. With this book, Sidney Bell has officially become an auto-buy for me. I really enjoyed the first in this series, but Hard Line blew that out of the water.

Sullivan and Tobias are quirky, hilarious, streetwise characters, and I loved their guts. They evolved beautifully over the course of the story, bringing out the best in each other even if it wasn't always pretty. (And did I mention hot? HOT. The non-vanilla side of the equation. It was amazing to read about their sexy kink, which be
Ele
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
*4.25 stars*
"You can’t love some- one with your whole heart without being terrified by what it means."

Tobias Benton is a GOOD boy. Responsible college student, obedient kid, loyal friend, people pleaser. Do you know what happens to good boys when they realise they can no longer keep ignoring themselves to keep everyone else happy?

But first things first. Hard Line doesn't work well as a standalone. The main protagonists are different, but there is a general story arc about Mama and th
Renée
Feb 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, mm-romance

This was a good story, but is my least favorite from Sidney Bell so far.

We met Tobias in Book 1, as one of the Woodbury threesome of men, and this was his story. Adopted as an infant by a lovely Haitian couple, into a loving (and strict/rigid) home, Tobias has always had abandonment issues. He's the consummate pleaser. If he can keep the people around him happy, he won't be left again, as his birth mother did.

Tobias was addicted to being chosen, ,and being chosen by someone lik
Dia
4 stars

This is the second book in the Woodbury Boys series, and I think these books should be read in order for a better understanding of the characters and their history together.

In Loose Cannon we got Church's story. He met his 2 best friends in The Woodbury Centre: Tobias and Ghost. After reading the first book I hoped to get Ghost's story in Hard Line, but I'll have to wait for the third book.

Tobias Benton was adopted by a Haitian couple. They raised him well, but he grew up trying to be ev
Sawyer  ❤ LoveSawyer.com
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance, arc
So, I got this book on a whim. The cover, you get that, right? I mean, I read the blurb. Well, I skimmed it and saw "kink" ... "darkest urges" ... "impossible to resist" ... "nights fulfilling their respective fantasies." I was expecting a quick dirty read.

I needed a quick dirty read. Work has been absolutely horrific the last couple of weeks. Something about spring that makes people depressed. I mean, it's not *something* I can talk for hours about why but we're here for book reviews. All I'm t
Hollis
How long was I anticipating this release? And how long did it take for me to actually read it? (shakes fist at self) Sometimes I don't understand me. But anywayyyy. Oh how I loved this.

"I fucked up."
"Is there a body?"
"What? No."
"Oh. Okay. What'd you do?"
"Do you seriously think I would kill someone?"
"(pause) No."
"Jesus."

I'm pretty sure I mentioned in my review for book one of The Woodbury Boys that less of the Mafia stuff would've been more my jam. Well I got my wish. This story focuses more on
Elena

I really liked this second book in the Woodbury Boys series. From the progression of the plot put in motion in Loose Cannon to the character development, there was a lot to love here. Tobias revealed himself to be very different from what he seemed in the previous book and his character development was handled really well. While I liked Tobias a lot, the new entry, Sullivan, stole the spotlight. I loved him, so quirky and smart, with a core of steel and a bad-boy appearance, I really l
Jewel
Hard Line is the second book in Sidney Bell's "The Woodbury Boys" series. In my opinion, you will get the most out of this story if you have read book 1, Loose Canon, first. In book 1, you get a lot of background on the boys, especially Ghost, how it is that Gost got himself into his current predicament. Loose Canon is my favorite of the series, so far, too, though I enjoyed this one quite a lot as well.

Tobias Benton is the adopted son of Haitian immigrants. Of the three friends from Woodbury, T
Gabi
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The mystery part to me was boring at the beginning. Only because finding someone is a slow process. There's research and stake-outs and more research. It's boring to the investigator, therefore it's boring to me to read about. And the author doesn't just write: "he looked in the Federal database". No, she very precisely writes down every step, every detail, with a lot of consideration. Just like in Bad Judgment. I usually like detailed descriptions, especially in adrenaline-fueled scenes. But in ...more
haletostilinski
I loved this. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first book in this series, although not quite as much as Bad Judgement.

But I thought the story was interesting, if a little slow going, but I felt that the reason for that was to get these two, Tobias and Sullivan to get to know each other, and to make it believeable that they're in love by the end of this - because only about three weeks, a month? or thereabouts goes by over the course of the events in this book, so if the whole main plot point wi
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, m-m
I am so confused. I really, really enjoyed this one. So much better than book 1 in my opinion but...well, I just can't with BDSM and well, I still liked this book.

Whatever. I still don't like pain and whatever but I guess it fit and I was happy for these guys I just don't have to really like it.

I wasn't sure if I was going to dig this story at the beginning. There was something so lovable about Tobias in the first book and this book scared me and made me think he was going to change. I am so tha
Alisa
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I really liked the first book in this series so I had high hopes for this book. Thankfully it didn't disappoint. We met Church, Tobias and Ghost in book one. The three met as teenagers in a treament facility. They're all adults now and are out and trying to put their lives back together. This book focuses on Tobias.

Tobias is part of a large family and while he knows they love him but they're driving him crazy. His parents are both doctors and they expect the same from him. They're invol
Chris
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, military-crime
Loved this book ❤️ This story continues around the friendship of Church, Tobias and Ghost. This book focused on Tobias with a hint of Ghost which has really left me wanting book 3 ASAP ! Tobias really came into his own in this book. After meeting Sullivan while searching for Ghost, they form a partnership after they realize their two cases are linked. Sullivan is fairly anti social but can’t help being attracted to Tobias. On one heated evening Tobias falls to his knees and to Sullivan’s delight ...more
Melissa
A complimentary copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Hard Line is book 2 of The Woodbury Boys series and I don't think you should read this as a standalone. Could you? Sure. But I think if you skip book 1 you are going to miss out on a lot of back story and other relevant information that is discussed in Hard Line. At the end of book 1 we know that Ghost has promised to do "Mama" a favor in exchange for helping Church. Hard Line is predominantly about
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
Okay, I defo think that this is an example of it not being the book and being me because everyone seemed to love this and yet... I did not hate it, or even dislike it, it just didn't stand out to me.

So *folds hands on knee*. I started out really enjoying this. I really liked Tobias' genuine personality (he's so kind), and Sullivan's humor. I enjoyed Tobais' development, it's SO hard learning to stand up to your family and for yourself, but then I felt like things started to taper off. This stor
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.0 Stars

This one took a long time to get into; I kept starting and stopping because, despite it being by an author I typically love & highly rate, this one just didn't grab me right away, like both Loose Cannon & Bad Judgment did. I liked the characters separately but didn't feel their connection. Not until after they started the long-term stake-out. The conversations & revelations were enlightening and that was when I really started noticing the sexual tension.

Which just made the 2-ish interac
Adam

Of the Woodbury trio, the one that really stole my heart in book 1 was Tobias. He's incredibly smart and kindhearted, and so different from Church and Ghost. Where Ghost and Church have broken childhoods and complicated pasts, Tobias grew up in a loving and wealthy home.

But it was clear in book 1 that Tobias had his own hangups, and a bunch of issues that he hadn't even started unpacking.

description

'Hard Line' is where the shit hits the fan for Tobias. Readers see him break out of his constraints,
Kathleen
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Least favorite in the series. Read this series out of order, started with #3 Rough Trade. It’s still by far my favorite and made my “best” list in 2018.

Little of this convoluted story resonated with me. And the second this book veered off into BDSM, I wanted to be done.
Laxmama
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars I love this series, I have to be honest I wanted Ghost story in the worst way so this may have just been a bit of a personal let down for me in that respect. However I do love Bell's writing and the build of the relationship, getting more history on the MC;s, for me I just didnt feel it as much in this story. Anxiously awaiting the next one.
Nile Princess
Mar 12, 2018 marked it as will-come-back-to-it
Shelves: m-m-romance, arc
Just saw that my ARC was approved!! Yesssss! No lie. I did a mini twerk at my desk. I legit pop and locked it at work. I am so starting this tonight!
Joyfully Jay
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

It’s been almost a year since I read, Loose Cannon, the first book in the Woodbury Boys series. I was really looking forward to Ghost’s full story, which will be the third book, and anticipated that Tobias’ story and Hard Line would be a stepping stone to get to that book three, but that was not at all the case. While I knew there was more to Tobias than we were shown in the first book, this story came together so well for me.

We met Tobias in the first book when
Cadiva
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that didn't go where I'd expected it to but it was still an utterly thrilling ride.

A complex plot brings misfit Tobias into the orbit of PI Sullivan and the narrative took off with a bang.

I must commend the author here for the clever way this book incorporated the mystery and suspense elements from book one but in such a radically different direction, I don't think anyone would have guessed it.

I also think she did an incredible job in showing just why Tobias was so willing to submit and wh
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Hmm, glad I checked out the reviews first. I'm generally not a fan of BDSM, few books make it work for me. This sounds like one of them.

Also don't like the cover. And the premise... not very intriguing. Despite that I liked this author's debut novel.
Lisazj1
3.5 stars. This book just proves how much leeway I'll give to an author I really like. Thankfully, most of the time, it pays off. Though I was really, really doubtful til about 52% or so, it did for this one too.

Not going into the plot *because as is well established, I am lazy* but I will say that I was flat out astonished at how much I outright disliked Tobias for just about the whole first half of this book. He was an incredible jerk to just about everyone in his life. He had some valid issue
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Craft Brew (Trouble Brewing, #2)
  • Imperial Stout (Trouble Brewing, #1)
  • Object of Desire  (Bitter Legacy, #2)
  • Single Malt (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #1)
  • Noble Hops (Trouble Brewing, #3)
  • The Parable of the Mustard Seed
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Invitation to the Blues (Small Change, #2)
  • Rend (Riven, #2)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Spring Strings
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • Risk Taker (Mixed Messages, #3)
  • Squared Away (Out of Uniform, #5)
Sidney Bell lives in the drizzly Pacific Northwest with her amazingly supportive husband. She received her MFA degree in Creative Writing in 2010, considered aiming for the Great American Novel, and then promptly started writing fanfiction instead. Eventually more realistic grown-ups convinced her to try writing something more fiscally responsible, which is how we ended up here.

When she’s not wri

The Woodbury Boys (3 books)
  • Loose Cannon (The Woodbury Boys, #1)
  • Rough Trade (Woodbury Boys #3)