Start by marking “Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler's Olympics” as Want to Read:
Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler's Olympics

Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler's Olympics

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  954 Ratings  ·  131 Reviews
From the ESPN national correspondent and author of the New York Times bestseller Cinderella Man comes the remarkable behind-the-scenes story of a defining moment in sports and world history.

In 1936, against a backdrop of swastikas flying and a storm troopers goose-stepping, an African-American son of sharecroppers won a staggering four Olympic gold medals and single-handed
Published February 1st 2007 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Triumph, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Triumph

Sean Gibson
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed this for Kirkus waaaayyy back when it came out: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

Great book, if you're into this sort of thing.
Rob
Nov 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
An absolutely fantastic read!
The author does a wonderful job at painting just how once-in-a-lifetime talent Owens really was, while not deifying him or making him into an icon without defects. It's pretty amazing to think about the records he set and how long they stood and what he could have accomplished had he had today's training, equipment and facilities.
One of my favorite parts was when as an 11-year old kid, in street clothes and regular school shoes he ran a 100-yards in 11 seconds. The
Pamela
Interesting and informative, this easily readable book covers the key points of Jesse Owens' life (in and out of sports) in addition to these historical arenas: Olympic politics, Hitler, Eugenics, and World War II. The upside to journalistic-style writing is that it's concise, not overly wordy, and simplistically worded. The downside: impersonal, dry, and droning at times. Overall though, a good solid read - but without any connecting passion and/or pizazz.

Three *** Historically Relevant, Biogr
Laurie DelaCruz
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I have to say the *only* reason I gave this 4 stars is because the writer's style is very dry, difficult to wade through at times. And the personal side of Jesse Owens, the man off the track, was left virtually completely off the pages. Not much was fleshed out to give us a true feel for the man himself, not just the athlete.

That being said, I so thoroughly enjoyed reading about this man. I am a sucker for any book that showcases a man who triumphs over seemingly insurmountable odds, and
Katie
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book was average. I was really bored by the descriptions of the races Owens ran. While I think the story of Jesse Owens could be interesting, the writing in this book just didn't draw me in.

I have to say I was really disturbed reading about Hitler and white supremacy right now. Some of the parts about Hitler and his people's ability to convince the public that they weren't doing and planning horrible things in the early days of his leadership seemed a little too real. It is scary to think
Sandra
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo de historia no contada del título no es cierto ya que no aclara definitivamente ninguno de los misterios de comportamiento de los Juegos Olímpicos del 36. Las pruebas son todas declaraciones de los testigos y, teniendo en cuenta que cada uno cuenta su versión, ninguna es muy fiable.
A mí me hubiera gustado más un relato extenso de cómo trataron a Jesse Owens después de los Juegos en Estados Unidos, pero supongo que es cosa mía. Lo que perdura está.
John Willis
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great breakdown of the day by day events leading up to the Olympics and the dynamics of the interactions of Owens, Long, and the interactions with Hitler and the Germans.
JBP
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
This should have been better. Poor writing, kind of simplified and obvious too much of the time, is the main culprit as second generation sports journalist doesn't compare to his father that is for sure (Dick Schaap).

The story of Jesse Owens and the 1936 Berlin Olympics is pretty amazing and I'm shocked it hasn't been made into a movie--although I think that is happening soon. It's going to be one of those rousing sports films that have been coming once or twice a year for the past decade. Tear
Letitia Moffitt
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie "Race" on an airplane recently and decided I wanted to read more about Jesse Owens in the Olympics. This book was just what I was looking for. The prose is very readable, and Schaap does a good job of describing both Owens's life and the important other players and events of the time without one distracting us too much from the other. It kind of irked me that the movie took certain typically Hollywood liberties with the truth (the part about the relay is completely changed, when ...more
Ryan
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
"The Nazi government wants more than American participation in a sporting contest. It wants to picture Hitler with Uncle Sam standing behind him and saying, 'We are with you, Adolf!'" ...After years of debate, if the U.S. was to send its teams to the Olympics, its action would be viewed universally as nothing less than a validation of the Third Reich, which had just stripped its Jewish citizens of their most basic rights."

Sound familiar?
Samantha
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book was more than a biography about the athlete. It was about someone who was the best in the world at what he did, and still was considered inferior because of his race.
Stacy
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thomas
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Book gave me a personal experience into a man's personal triumph in life when all the odds were against him. It gave a true story about Jesse Owens in the Olympic Games right before the worst War in the History of the world.I liked the book the whole way through because it offered an inside look at The life of a very historic role model in the united states, with all the personal battles he had not just in the games, but in life itself.

Jesse Owens had all the odds were against him and many
LukeL
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Victory! This word represents the book Triumph by Jeremy Shaap because it is about Jesse Owens, and he would always win during high school, college, and the olympics. I believe that this book will make me want to read other books like this because I really enjoy reading about the Olympics and Track and Field. This book was definitely a page-turner because once I read something, I would want to know what happened next. Triumph was kind of a complex book because the book would change from being ab ...more
Bria
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I've only read two sports books in my life. They were both supposed to be 'amazing,' but I just don't particularly enjoy the genre. This one was interesting in that the story played out in a more interesting point in history, so that helped quite a bit. I can definitely appreciate the obvious amount of research that went into writing this book. That in itself was definitely 'amazing.' But the story... meh. I've definitely read more interesting stories. I did find the bit about how the movie base ...more
Gerald Guy
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I became aware of the legendary Jesse Owens when I was a teenager in the 1960s, but never explored the happenings of the week he defied Hitler in the 1936 Olympic Games. Jeremy Schaap did a wonderful job of documenting the event and the political uproar that engulfed the event prior to the outbreak of WWII. I learned things I didn’t know. For instance, the gold medalist’s name was really James Cleveland but his family called him JC. When asked his name in a new classroom in Cleveland OH, he shyl ...more
Dusty
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I was not anticipating much drama from this book about Jesse Owens's famous and incredible performance at the 1936 Olympics. Even as a non-fan, I knew that story. However, author Jeremy Schaap brings excitement and meaning to Owens's record-setting acts of athleticism by placing them in the context of American racism and German fascism. Some of the most interesting characters here are not athletes, but the Führer and his favored filmmaker, Leni Riefenstahl. If you're interested in the history of ...more
Grant Den Herder
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The story of Jesse Owens’ life is incredible. I think we take for granted the stories of super-athletes today, but Jesse Owens was the greatest athlete of his day. The fact that he was a black athlete in 1930’s America could be discussed for days. In his early life, Jesse tried to keep politics and sport separate, but reading this story shows that sport and politics overlap, and cannot be cut clean from one another. That’s a big lesson that is relevant today. Athletes have a platform, and their ...more
Phyllis
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Schaap's brief telling of Owen's road to the 1936 Olympics in Berlin is a perfect book for someone who knows little of the story. However, both Owen's story, the other pieces related to these Olympics, as well as the iron grip the Amateur Athletic Union had over all the athletes, deserves a deeper dive.
Jesse
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-popsugar
For someone named Jesse Owen, I sure don't know very much about Jesse Owens. Fortunately, this book was a fantastic overview of his most triumphant moments: his 4 gold medals at the 1936 summer olympics in Nazi Germany. Highly recommend!!!
Kayla Benedict
Aug 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
The material is good and the ideas behind them are well intended but for me it felt too much like a history textbook. I couldn't feel any personality behind it and felt like I was reading a bunch of facts. It just didn't grab my attention and I couldn't force myself to finish it.
Pascal Blanquer
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story
Erin
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. Definite read.
Erin Burba
I was disappointed in this book. The subject- Jesse Owens- is fascinating. But I never felt like I got to know Jesse. The book somehow felt boring and at a remove.
Diane
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another great book by this author. This book should be required reading.
Jennilynn
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading about Jesse Owens' journey to the 1936 Olympics and the history surrounding his epic experience.
Lianne
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Someone had suggested I read this after discussing "The Boys in the Boat" and how wonderful a book that was. The story of Jesse Owens is definitely an amazing and powerful one. Unfortunately, this story fell a bit flat. It really wasn't so much about Jesse. You don't really get to know him. You learn about his background, his coaches and some of the races leading up to the Olympics, but I wanted more. It does describe the 1936 Olympics and the push for the U.S. to not participate. It then goes o ...more
Talya Boerner
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read Triumph for book club. The book is well researched and provides not only the history of the Olympics and WWII before America’s involvement, but it also paints an accurate portrait of racial prejudice and civil rights in Germany and the United States. Jesse Owens was the fastest man in America yet he was still considered inferior because of his race. I believe this should be required reading in schools but it’s probably on the banned list.
Jack Mullen
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I rated Triumph a 3-star because a lot of the novel was about the controversy of sending the American blacks to the Olympics in Berlin which was just about the biggest snooze-fest when I was in that part. Similarly, some of the book mentioned the filming of the Olympics which was of no interest to me. On the other side, I really liked how Schaap started strong with Jesse Owen's record-breaking day at Ann Arbor, making two world records his own and coming a tenth of a second from tying another.

Y
MacK
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running is a writer's world. Alone with the sound of your breath and the pounding of your feet against pavement, you have all the time in the world to imagine and create stories, legends and myths. You can take your time to chronicle each and every alteration of the weather and the body until you have a big pile of overwrought imagery and irrelevant symbolism.

Jeremy Schaap cuts through a lot of the running falderal with his book about the Track and Field battles during the 1936 Olympic Games. Na
  • Carlisle Vs. Army: Jim Thorpe, Dwight Eisenhower, Pop Warner, and the Forgotten Story of Football's Greatest Battle
  • Nazi Games: The Olympics of 1936
  • Duel in the Sun: Alberto Salazar, Dick Beardsley, and America's Greatest Marathon
  • The Greatest Battle: Stalin, Hitler, and the Desperate Struggle for Moscow That Changed the Course of World War II
  • Rome 1960: The Olympics That Changed the World
  • Pre: The Story of America's Greatest Running Legend, Steve Prefontaine
  • Wonder Girl: The Magnificent Sporting Life of Babe Didrikson Zaharias
  • Showdown at Shepherd's Bush: The 1908 Olympic Marathon and the Three Runners Who Launched a Sporting Craze
  • Amelia Earhart: A Biography
  • Jackie Robinson: A Biography
  • Last Post: The Final Word from Our First World War Soldiers
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • There Goes My Everything: White Southerners in the Age of Civil Rights, 1945-1975
  • Chariots of Fire
  • Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports
  • Eric Liddell: Pure Gold : A New Biography of the Olympic Champion Who Inspired Chariots of Fire
  • One Day in September: The Full Story of the 1972 Munich Olympics Massacre and the Israeli Revenge Operation "Wrath of God"
  • Bowerman and the Men of Oregon: The Story of Oregon's Legendary Coach and Nike's Co-founder
From wikipedia article on author Jeremy Schaap (b. August 23, 1969, New York City) is an American sportswriter, television reporter, and author. Schaap is a six-time Emmy award winner for his work on ESPN's E:60, SportsCenter and Outside the Lines.
He is a regular contributor to Nightline and ABC World News Tonight and has been published in Sports Illustrated, ESPN The Magazine, Time, Parade, The W
“Snyder was a progressive. Unlike Avery Brundage of the AOC and Dean Cromwell of USC, he was far from sympathetic to the Nazi cause. But his first loyalty was to Jesse Owens. He thought that if Owens got the chance to compete, he would win every event he entered. He knew, too, that then Owens would never have to look back. Of course, it is also crucial to remember that Snyder’s opinion was not informed by the gift of foresight. Like the AOC, he did not know, as we now know, that there would be a holocaust, that Hitler and his regime would eventually kill millions, that the Germans would attack Poland, France, and the Soviet Union. If he had known, he would have felt differently about the boycott. But in 1935 it was still possible to assume that European Jewry was not on the precipice of extinction, just as it was possible to believe that Hitler was not quite a madman. Everyone knew that Hitler disliked the Jews, but few imagined that he would attempt to exterminate them. In” 1 likes