Start by marking “Kissing Lying Down” as Want to Read:
Kissing Lying Down

Kissing Lying Down

Three friends reunite in a packed bar during a heat wave. They make new friends along the way and the evening gets better and better; until it doesn’t.
This gradually darkening account of a spontaneous get-together features sharp humour and strong, believable characters, in an exploration of sexual interest and power dynamics between women and men.
An instantly engaging st
Unknown Binding, 17 pages
Published December 20th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Kissing Lying Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kissing Lying Down

Start your review of Kissing Lying Down
Dash fan
2☆ An Interesting Collection of Short Stories!

KISSING LYING DOWN is a collection of short stories looking at range of emotions and relationships situations.

Each story is a few chapters long and delves into different themes.

Unfortunately I didn't particularly click with any of the short stories and found them to be a lil disjointed and confusing.
I don't normally read short stories as I tend to find that they are more like diary entries or ideas for stories yet to be written, and that's exactly
The Book Club
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was ok
This is a collection of 6 short stories, which initially found me super confused on what the author was even trying to achieve with the book, then I kinda got into it.

Those stories explore how in modern society dating and relationship happened, some of the stories are nicely written and even quite enjoyable.
I really appreciated that the author has included clear trigger warning when needed.
Fabulous Book Fiend
Feb 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
What I loved most about this short story collection was the variety between each of the stories. I felt like I could relate to each of them on some level. Some I found disturbing on some levels which thrilled me and others I found amusing or touching. That's the great thing about a collection like this there really is something to connect to on every level. I definitely didn't connect with a couple of the stories as much as I did the others but I found enjoyment in each of them in some way.

I wa
Bianca Duthie
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was ok
This is 6 short stories about different romantic/sexual struggles.
Online dating, moving on after divorce, abuse, cheating, complex relationships.
The stories are fast paced and easy reads. However the writing style was not my cup of tea at all. The first story was so difficult for me to follow that it really put me off for the rest of the book. When the stories did feel like they were going somewhere interesting they cut off abruptly. I think a couple of them could be developed into a novella whi
Karen Andrew
Jan 27, 2021 rated it really liked it
Review
Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Each story is told in a real quirky way that keeps you turning those pages. It is funny and takes a look at today's modern ways of communicating.

It is 74 pages long and everything is compact into those pages. If you dont like raunchy language this maybe isn't for you as there is quite a bit - me? I loved it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐
x.amys_books.x
This is my first read by Kate Tough. I was a little confused as to what was happening and I couldn't work out how the book was layed out.
But once I got into it I really got into it.
It's a series of short stories, some not for the faint hearted.
These are raw and real and definitely comes with a trigger warning.
Nevertheless I loved the humour and I'd happily pick up another of her books.
Hannah May Book Reviews
Title: Kissing Lying Down
Author: Kate Tough
Pages: 74
Rating: 2.5/5

A huge thank you to the author and Love Books Tours for letting me be part of the blog tour!

Synopsis:

Kissing Lying Down is a book containing 6 short stories. These stories touch on the different types of relationships we may experience and the dynamics between woman and men. Each story has a sense of realism, a touch of humour and a dose of drama.

Review:
I really enjoyed Keep Walking, Rhona Beech by this author, it was evident the
Megan
Feb 08, 2021 rated it liked it
This book wasn't what I was expecting.

The tagline "the highs and lows of getting together in modern life" had me thinking I was about to flick through some light hearted stories about being ghosted.

The actual stories in this book are much more impactful and complex than I expected.

Each of the stories had something different to offer. Some were more light hearted and others were a bit more serious.

A great think about this book is the inclusion of trigger warnings which is great!

I also liked the
Siobhan Devlin
Feb 24, 2021 rated it liked it
I didn't know what I was expecting but it wasn't this.

In such a short amount of pages your introduced to some quite complex situation which are both hard hitting and honest.

When I read the first story I was a little confused the constant jumping back an forward with texts in such sort amount of pages was quite full on.

However reading through the rest of the stories you're confronted by situations which are written in a way that leaves reader feeling real emotion towards each character.

I really
CarlitasFox
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An engaging short reading to enjoy at the edge of your comfortable seat.

What is very interesting and, at the same time, funny about this book, is that it talks about some details of today people´s lives; the way people get to know each other with their past stories, problems and prospects. I found it very engaging and funny. “Kissing Lying Down” was written by Kate Tough. It is the first book that I read from this author but I am sure I will read others written by her.
It is a collection of sh
Evelyn
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Kissing Lying Down is an absorbent masterpiece written by Kate Tough. She weaves unique and fascinating six tales with intriguing twists and turns that will easily captivate the reader’s attention from the very beginning. In addition, the characters are drawn with great credibility and conviction.
Despite the fact that the book is only 74 pages long, the stories are surprisingly memorable as each of them has a very strong message and also because the author achieved her objective which was to pr
Carolina Solano
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I must confess that when I started reading this book Lying Down Kisses: Witty, Heartwarming, and Humorous Stories About the Ups and Downs of Being Together in Modern Life, I was a bit confused by the way Kate Tough narrated it. Maybe, I felt that way because I am used to books that have an ordered and organized narrative, and this book is the opposite. It has a very original and personal structure. I love it for that.
They are six different stories told in a very particular way. The tales depict
Susan B
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An eye-catching title caught my attention when I was searching for books to buy on Amazon, it was this amazing book by Kate Tough.
Kissing Lying Down is a collection of 6 stories about different types of relationships and they are written in a really innovative way since the stories portrayed are not what we usually expect since there are pieces of letters and dialogues mingled in a narrative where the prevailing writing style is prose. The vocabulary present is neither passive nor basic, it is o
Emma (_bookswithemma)
Six stories. Six outcomes. Six voices.

I have to admit when I first picked up this book I was a bit confused and wasn’t sure where the story was going but I stuck with it and found it a really easy read. This is both very different to what I expected and also very different to what I normally read but I enjoyed it overall.

The author has trigger warnings to alert the read which I loved and they are definitely needed. The stories range from funny parts, to memories to a horrific sexual assault.

I
Angi Plant
Six different tales, six different outcomes, six different voices.
In parts it really reflects what I’ve heard about from people about online dating sites, their pitfalls and the less savoury side of some.
There’s one story so many women will recognise, all or part of. The man who won’t accept the answer he’s given. It’s well written. Probably more harrowing because there’s less detail and not more. It does have a warning at the beginning though, before anyone yells about trigger warnings.
It’s a v
Daisy Hollands
Mar 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Having read and loved Keep Walking Rhona Beech by the same author, I was super excited to read Kissing Lying Down. After throughly enjoying Keep Walking Rhona Beech, I had really high hopes for this book - although it is obviously a very different format - a collection of six short stories rather than a full length novel. I was absolutely not disappointed, Kate Tough is such a clever writer. So many observations and intricacies. Stories weaved in what seems like an effortless fashion. Totally be ...more
Lesley
Feb 25, 2021 rated it liked it
This was quite a different book to what I expected. It is six short stories about dating and relationships in the current world by online and offline meeting.

The book is quite hard hitting and had situations which, quite rightly, come with trigger warnings. The stories certainly brought out different emotions in me, some more so than others. The story containing sexual assault was both powerful and scary.

For me I felt it best to read the stories individually and not all in one go as it allowed m
Helen Simpson
Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was ok
What could i say about this book other than it was not what i expected. The heading 'the highs and lows of getting together in modern life' made me think this would be a lighthearted read, maybe a romcom. The book was difficult to read at times one story in particilar with scenes of sexual assualt. There are trigger warnings before for those who need to skip. The writing style made it hard to read but in all wasnt a bad read just not for me. ...more
Danielle Amor
Feb 24, 2021 rated it liked it
This is an interesting quick read made up of 6 stories, based on 6 different people experiences of relationships.

It is unique in the way it is written, some parts are quite funny, others are happy memories and one particular story is horrific and covers sexual assault.

It was a pleasant read and it can be read in one sitting as it is less than 100 pages.
Zoe M
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of short stories. The writing style is quite quirky and I found it easy to engage with the different characters. Although these are short they are still very fascinating reads. I did plan to read each story over a few days but I was totally engrossed and ended up reading it in one go. This is my first book by this author but it won't be my last.
Hayley Thorpe
Mar 03, 2021
Kayla
rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2021
beatrizfayereads_
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2021
Dec 28, 2017
Natan Tiefenbrun
Jan 08, 2019
Kate
Apr 08, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Samantha
Laura Rubenstein
Nov 10, 2020
Allie
Mar 02, 2021

• What the World Needs Now: Bees!
  • Twinkle
  • What About Me? Said the Flea
  • Necropolis
  • I Left the Room Burning
  • The Secret Diary of a New Mum (aged 43 1/4)
  • What the World Needs Now: Trees!
  • The Promised Land
  • The Vagabond Mother
  • Of Blood And Fire (The Bound and the Broken, #1)
  • The Domestic Revolution
  • Asking for a Friend
  • Grow Through It: Inspiration for Weathering Life's Seasons
  • Black Widows
  • A Tale of Two Shoes
  • Paralleled Bond
  • Perfect: A Path to Love, Forgiveness and Transformation
  • Perilous Last-Minute Christmas Shopping
Kate Tough worked for the Scottish Parliament for six years before returning to her home city, gaining a Masters in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow. She writes poetry and fiction rooted in realism, humour and sometimes difficult truths.

She creates astute observational detail in fiction, and explores painful moments, that readers could recognise as themselves or their friends.

Her n