Start by marking “Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America” as Want to Read:
Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America

Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America

Knee-deep in a swamp in the depths of the Bolivian jungle, hunting for anacondas in a pair of sandals, it occurred to George that perhaps he should have booked that all-inclusive honeymoon to the Maldives after all.

Join George and Rachel on their hilarious journey through the wilds of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia, as they climb volcanoes, fish for piranhas, trek through the
Published December 22nd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Travels with Rachel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travels with Rachel

Start your review of Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America
Helen Pearson
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What? It's over already?

I'd just finished the first chapter of a Bill Bryson book and was checking Facebook from the comfort of my toil-------I mean reading chair. There was a post from George Mahood. "Oh, he's been quiet I wonder what he's been up to?" I though to myself. Well it turned out he was announcing the release of his latest book - the very book I am attempting g to review here. How damn well inconvenient of him to release a book just as I had started another! So, and I'm sorry Bill, I
Craig Strachan
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short, fun and easy to read book describing George's adventures (and misadventures) with his wife Rachelle in South America. What makes the books really fun is not so much what happens, but how he responds to what happens, and his humorous descriptions of events. He has a unique ability to get himself into interesting situations (such as hunting for anaconda’s in a pair of flip flops). As in his other books, George’s typical self-deprecating humour comes through well. For fans of his other boo ...more
Kristina Trawick
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fun trip with George

George is off again, this time with new wife, to see the sites in several countries in South America that pictures don't do justice to. Funny, as usual, with tales of derring do and a dog. Great romp......
Beda Norman
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book

Really enjoyable. I hope you keep having adventures and writing about them. It is a pleasure to follow you along.
Mrs Olga A Danes-Volkov
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply love George Mahood's books. I read a lot of travel books and for the most part, they are dire. If the blurb says "hilarious", it means they're full of very heavy handed jokes. Like his other books, which I can't recommend too highly, this one really is funny and as I read in the insomniac night, I have to suppress my laughter lest I wake my partner. Read this book and all the others, they're magic.
Roberta Morgan
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful adventure

I've read all of George Mahood's books, but now I think it's time to read them again to enjoy a chronological perspective. Well written travel experiences.
Joanne Sanchez
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

As with his other books, George captures the adventures and misadventures in equally amusing measure.
I'm sorry I read it so quickly and now I have to wait for the next book.
Pauline
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I struggled to get into the book as it's written as if I was writing a travel journal, but I did enjoy the book in the end.
Nancy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another success

In this book, George takes the reader along a backpacking journey that he and his wife took exploring Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru. As is his writing style, the book is full of humor, colorful descriptions and dialog that make you feel like you are right there with him. I would highly recommend this, and all of George’s books, to anyone who enjoys reading about life’s funny adventures presented through the eyes of an excellent storyteller!
Laurie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
George Mahoods "Travels With Rachel: In Search of South America" newest memoir has hit my top 4 of this authors books! Loved it!
Rachel and George set off for South America on their honeymoon with only a rucksack each and a limited Spanish vocabulary. It has loads of information on traveling through Bolivia, Ecuador & Peru and if I was planning a trip to the three areas this book would go into my rucksack.
Rachel steps out of her comfort zone several times in this adventure and I have to admire
Irene Moyer
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy his books, each one

George Mahood has a gift for humor. As always, I enjoyed this travel memoir. So far my faves are Free Country and the Josephine book. This one had several laugh out loud bits. And the travel part was so interesting. Read it!
Camilla
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As usual Mahood seamlessly fuses the informative and the hilarious when he recounts his and Rachel's belated honeymoon through South America. In typical Mahood-fashion, much of the hilarity ensues through the couple being frugal in their spending. One example was then they wanted to save three dollars on a tour which had them hunting for anacondas wearing flip flops and shoddy sneakers instead of waterproof boots. And, on their anniversary, they decided to splurge from their usual hostel accommo ...more
Jim Lavis
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy reading well written travel stories with quirky adventures. Although I must admit, I liked his first book “Not Tonight Josephine” a bit more. After writing “Not Tonight Josephine,” the author extended his adventures or has shared his next travel adventure in this book.

I’ve traveled or had adventures like the stores in these books, so I guess a lot of the joy is reliving my travels or hoping to travel to the locations I’m reading about. South America is definitely on my bucket lis
Ryan
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was not disappointed with the memoirs presented here. His entries are always enriched with history, humor, and humility. This particular travelogue deals with dejected third world locations scattered throughout South America. George Mahood, who remains unashamed when addressing the privilege in his life, writes in a way that will appease legions of readers.

The vivid detail committed to each destination is favorable and absorbing to say the least. He visits some well know POI (Machu Picchu, Se
Sue
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A funny and adventuresome and entertaining tale of visits to multiple S A countries and the wonderful and awful things that happened. George and Rachel, his wife, delayed spending time for a honeymoon until almost 1 year following the actual wedding. They traveled without plans and tried to live cheaply and close to the inhabitants while speaking little Spanish and attempting to experience the wonders and landmarks of the areas. The tale of the Anaconda search, the people- natives and not-, the ...more
Tongyao Pu
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author is just soooo funny! I laughed so many times during reading. And the depiction is so real! I can totally understand the struggle to deal with unexpected situations and the excitement of seeing astonishing views. While reading this book, I do really imagine what SA looks like. I cannot wait to have a visit :). Apart from that, I found the book dealt with science properly. The most of the depiction confirms with current Geographical and Ecological knowledge (e.g. the Coriolis force in s ...more
RhymeWriter
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read most of George's books as I enjoy his writing style, and, like the others, found this a well-written, funny, whilst descriptive read. Its not often that I laugh out loud or gasp at anecdotes in books, but this one certainly had that effect! I like the 'back-story' of the relationship which is interspersed with the travelling adventures (some of which are rather hairy!). The descriptive writing often made me feel I was actually sharing the experience with them (although I was quite to b ...more
Ingrid
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Traveling Vicariously (and Safely) Through the Adventures of George Mahood

While reading George Mahood's travelogue about his honeymoon through South America, you have to wonder if he's nuts. Bus rides along steep mountain cliffs, anaconda hunting, swimming in a piranah infested river. What? Is this supposed to be enjoyable? Well George and Rachel thoroughly enjoy themselves and talk about "next time." I laughed, I squirmed, I enjoyed. It was wonderful to learn about a world totally different fro
Bibliophile
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I'm a huge fan of George Mahood and this book confirms my opinion of him. He and his wife explore parts of South America and the reader is lucky enough to enjoy the sights and adventures with them. I read this at the perfect time: locked up due to the COVID thing and unable to escape the barrage of negativity about it. This book gave a brief, welcomed respite. Just read this book. Anytime you need a lift up or a boost of positivity, read ANY of his books. It will be worth your ti ...more
Paul Catterton
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always, George keeps you laughing

My wife and I read George's books before sleep. George always provides a light note with which to end the day and occasional anecdotes to make you think. Along the way we often learn something new as George shares historical facts most of us don't know about locations along he and Rachel's journeys. They are an enjoyable couple who are well matched and obviously great friends.
Kristin
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
George Mahood is one of the funniest contemporary memoirists we have, and he's just getting better. In this book, he writes so clearly that I felt like I was in South America, despite never having been there. He writes brilliant imagery without you even realizing it. I also laughed out loud, winced at their more unfortunate travel moments, and found myself disappointed when it was over--I loved reading it, and didn't want it to end.
Stephanie
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy this author's style of writing. It isn't for everyone but I generally skim over very descriptive paragraphs in other books and his author usually points out important details. This book was a quick read about backpacking in South America, something I would love to do. He is funny. Many times I laughed out loud to myself. I even screenshotted an excerpt to send to my husband about George trying guinea pig in Peru.
Jacquie Jerrard
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great Story.

This travelogue of George's is funny as he and Rachel come to grips with South America. Rachel although Nervous shines through, as she boldly goes wherever George goes. Stepping on a huge Snake in a Jungle Swamp, jumping off still moving buses, and walking along perilous ridges.
neil symonds
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
George never fails to entertain.

Interesting and amusing journal of an early George adventure this time with his newly wed wife Rachel. Travelling in South America beats any traditional honeymoon all inclusive for an unforgettable (thankfully for us readers) lifetime experience. Entertaining well written funny read.
Sunshine Moore
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read by George Mahood

Once again, George Mahood managed to beautifully and humorously write about his adventures and share them with us. All of his books are indeed a pleasure to read. He writes with such sincerity also. He's passionate about his travels, and his writing. Incredible sense of humor! Another job well done!
thomas ahart
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun travel tale

I enjoyed this book very much. Full of quirky characters, enchanting places, and crazy adventures. The author and his wife travel with eyes wide open, and a really cool attitude. I think the only thing that is better than the book, would be actually traveling with Rachel and George. I had a very enjoyable evening reading this tale. Thanks George.
Jill
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

I enjoy Mr. Mahood's writing and enjoyed his trip to South America. It was informative, interesting and humorous. I gave it four stars because it didn't quite knock me over as Not Tonight Josephine did. Can't put my finger on why, maybe because I'm American so the American adventure was more familiar. It was still a great adventure. Read it.
Marian
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful as always.

Thank god George goes and does things and then writes about them so I can live vicariously through his books. He and his wife were exceptionally adventurous on this trip, and the anecdotes are cheerful, funny, and interesting. I look forward to the next book.
Wendy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
George Mahood's books are always an entertaining read for me. This one chronicles his travels through South America with his wife Rachel. I learned some things I didn't know about the area and as usual, laughed a lot.
Selina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always a fun read. Made me realize what a fun trip I missed but also made it clear that I'm far too old to do such a trip now. I don't think I'm quite ready for the senior group bus tour but I definitely couldn't handle the backpacking. Well done, George and Rachel.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tuk-Tuk for Two: Two strangers, one unforgettable tuk-tuk race romantic comedy through India (Weird Travel Book 3)
  • Don't Come Back: a travel adventure of bad-tempered baboons, black magic, and breakups.
  • Don't Need The Whole Dog!
  • Kamikaze Kangaroos!: A trip around Oz in a van called Rusty
  • Shave My Spider! A six-month adventure around Borneo, Vietnam, Mongolia, China, Laos and Cambodia
  • Can I Kiss Her Yet?: A True Tale of Love, Marriage... and Camels
  • Don’t Go There: From Chernobyl to North Korea—one man’s quest to lose himself and find everyone else in the world’s strangest places
  • Two Old Fools Down Under
  • No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney
  • That Bear Ate My Pants!
  • Into the Sunrise: Cycling the World, Part Two: Sydney to Mori
  • The Exotic and the Mundane
  • Two Old Fools in Turmoil
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?: A Memoir of the World's Least Successful Actor
  • A Kilo of String
  • Fresh Eggs and Dog Beds
  • North To Alaska: The True Story of An epic, 16,000-mile cycle journey the length of the Americas
  • If You Did What I Asked in the First Place

George Mahood is an award-winning writer. Specifically, he was placed third in the Little Brington Village Fete's limerick competition (Under 10s category) in 1988. It was the same year that Mrs Marriott's legendary fruit loaf was beaten in the WI cake contest for the first time in six years.

George studied Communication Studies and English Literature at Leeds University. After spending a year trav

News & Interviews