Start by marking “Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America” as Want to Read:
Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America

Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America

Knee-deep in a swamp in the depths of the Bolivian jungle, hunting for anacondas in a pair of sandals, it occurred to George that perhaps he should have booked that all-inclusive honeymoon to the Maldives after all.

Join George and Rachel on their hilarious journey through the wilds of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia, as they climb volcanoes, fish for piranhas, trek through the
Published December 22nd 2017

To ask other readers questions about Travels with Rachel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Travels with Rachel

Helen Pearson
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What? It's over already?

I'd just finished the first chapter of a Bill Bryson book and was checking Facebook from the comfort of my toil-------I mean reading chair. There was a post from George Mahood. "Oh, he's been quiet I wonder what he's been up to?" I though to myself. Well it turned out he was announcing the release of his latest book - the very book I am attempting g to review here. How damn well inconvenient of him to release a book just as I had started another! So, and I'm sorry Bill, I
Craig Strachan
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short, fun and easy to read book describing George's adventures (and misadventures) with his wife Rachelle in South America. What makes the books really fun is not so much what happens, but how he responds to what happens, and his humorous descriptions of events. He has a unique ability to get himself into interesting situations (such as hunting for anaconda’s in a pair of flip flops). As in his other books, George’s typical self-deprecating humour comes through well. For fans of his other boo ...more
Kristina Trawick
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fun trip with George

George is off again, this time with new wife, to see the sites in several countries in South America that pictures don't do justice to. Funny, as usual, with tales of derring do and a dog. Great romp......
Beda Norman
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book

Really enjoyable. I hope you keep having adventures and writing about them. It is a pleasure to follow you along.
Mrs Olga A Danes-Volkov
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply love George Mahood's books. I read a lot of travel books and for the most part, they are dire. If the blurb says "hilarious", it means they're full of very heavy handed jokes. Like his other books, which I can't recommend too highly, this one really is funny and as I read in the insomniac night, I have to suppress my laughter lest I wake my partner. Read this book and all the others, they're magic.
Roberta Morgan
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful adventure

I've read all of George Mahood's books, but now I think it's time to read them again to enjoy a chronological perspective. Well written travel experiences.
Joanne Sanchez
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read

As with his other books, George captures the adventures and misadventures in equally amusing measure.
I'm sorry I read it so quickly and now I have to wait for the next book.
Nancy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another success

In this book, George takes the reader along a backpacking journey that he and his wife took exploring Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru. As is his writing style, the book is full of humor, colorful descriptions and dialog that make you feel like you are right there with him. I would highly recommend this, and all of George’s books, to anyone who enjoys reading about life’s funny adventures presented through the eyes of an excellent storyteller!
Laurie
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
George Mahoods "Travels With Rachel: In Search of South America" newest memoir has hit my top 4 of this authors books! Loved it!
Rachel and George set off for South America on their honeymoon with only a rucksack each and a limited Spanish vocabulary. It has loads of information on traveling through Bolivia, Ecuador & Peru and if I was planning a trip to the three areas this book would go into my rucksack.
Rachel steps out of her comfort zone several times in this adventure and I have to adm
Irene Moyer
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy his books, each one

George Mahood has a gift for humor. As always, I enjoyed this travel memoir. So far my faves are Free Country and the Josephine book. This one had several laugh out loud bits. And the travel part was so interesting. Read it!
Tongyao Pu
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author is just soooo funny! I laughed so many times during reading. And the depiction is so real! I can totally understand the struggle to deal with unexpected situations and the excitement of seeing astonishing views. While reading this book, I do really imagine what SA looks like. I cannot wait to have a visit :). Apart from that, I found the book dealt with science properly. The most of the depiction confirms with current Geographical and Ecological knowledge (e.g. the Coriolis force in s ...more
Sue
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A funny and adventuresome and entertaining tale of visits to multiple S A countries and the wonderful and awful things that happened. George and Rachel, his wife, delayed spending time for a honeymoon until almost 1 year following the actual wedding. They traveled without plans and tried to live cheaply and close to the inhabitants while speaking little Spanish and attempting to experience the wonders and landmarks of the areas. The tale of the Anaconda search, the people- natives and not-, the ...more
Kristin
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
George Mahood is one of the funniest contemporary memoirists we have, and he's just getting better. In this book, he writes so clearly that I felt like I was in South America, despite never having been there. He writes brilliant imagery without you even realizing it. I also laughed out loud, winced at their more unfortunate travel moments, and found myself disappointed when it was over--I loved reading it, and didn't want it to end.
Paul Catterton
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As always, George keeps you laughing

My wife and I read George's books before sleep. George always provides a light note with which to end the day and occasional anecdotes to make you think. Along the way we often learn something new as George shares historical facts most of us don't know about locations along he and Rachel's journeys. They are an enjoyable couple who are well matched and obviously great friends.
Sunshine Moore
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read by George Mahood

Once again, George Mahood managed to beautifully and humorously write about his adventures and share them with us. All of his books are indeed a pleasure to read. He writes with such sincerity also. He's passionate about his travels, and his writing. Incredible sense of humor! Another job well done!
thomas ahart
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun travel tale

I enjoyed this book very much. Full of quirky characters, enchanting places, and crazy adventures. The author and his wife travel with eyes wide open, and a really cool attitude. I think the only thing that is better than the book, would be actually traveling with Rachel and George. I had a very enjoyable evening reading this tale. Thanks George.
Jacquie Jerrard
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great Story.

This travelogue of George's is funny as he and Rachel come to grips with South America. Rachel although Nervous shines through, as she boldly goes wherever George goes. Stepping on a huge Snake in a Jungle Swamp, jumping off still moving buses, and walking along perilous ridges.
neil symonds
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
George never fails to entertain.

Interesting and amusing journal of an early George adventure this time with his newly wed wife Rachel. Travelling in South America beats any traditional honeymoon all inclusive for an unforgettable (thankfully for us readers) lifetime experience. Entertaining well written funny read.
Selina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always a fun read. Made me realize what a fun trip I missed but also made it clear that I'm far too old to do such a trip now. I don't think I'm quite ready for the senior group bus tour but I definitely couldn't handle the backpacking. Well done, George and Rachel.
natalie smith
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

This is the second book I have red of yours and they never fail to make me smile. The compassion, humour and memories compiled into your writing makes the reader feel like your there sharing the moments. Great work! Look forward to the next trip...
All the best...Nat
Marian
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful as always.

Thank god George goes and does things and then writes about them so I can live vicariously through his books. He and his wife were exceptionally adventurous on this trip, and the anecdotes are cheerful, funny, and interesting. I look forward to the next book.
Larry Sampson
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
As a traveler I found this book great fun to read. George and his wife Rachel traveled to many of the same locations I have been to in Peru. George writes with great humor and the stories kept the pages turning. I highly recommend this for any one who enjoys travel.
A Ivy
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Another enjoyable journey with George Mahood. It's a solid 3.5, somewhere between Free Country and Every Day is a Holiday. I'll continue to read his antics for fun, afternoon reads that make you long to go on such adventures yourself.
Anne
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always a fun ride.

I love getting to live vicariously through George. Lots of laughs as always and a few heart stopping moments along the way too. Glad to have added Travels with Rachel to my collection.
Patrick
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not very descriptive. More of a diary of "we did this, then we did that, we ate this, we ate that." It's nice to learn about places, and have them described. This was thread bare, so mundane and not much to it. Better reading a wiki page about the places visited.
CathyB
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always laugh out loud!

I love the way George Mahood writes. He allows the reader to see and experience his adventures through his eyes. I read every book as soon as it is published and recommend them to friends and family.
Mrs L V Webb
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another marvellous adventure to enjoy

I absolutely loved this book, such a pleasure to read.
As someone who loves to travel, this book helped get me in the mood for my next adventure.
Wendy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
George Mahood's books are always an entertaining read for me. This one chronicles his travels through South America with his wife Rachel. I learned some things I didn't know about the area and as usual, laughed a lot.
Rachel
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mildly enjoyable to read if you like hearing about bus journeys. Not as good as I was hoping and the author relies far too much on very basic 'humour'. It's short though so didn't feel like I wasted too much time.
David Padovich
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and fun

It is a fun filled story, that shows that not everything positive happens in travel and can become unpredictable. And how those become the greatest memories that we keep.
  • Shave My Spider! A six-month adventure around Borneo, Vietnam, Mongolia, China, Laos and Cambodia
  • Mile 445
  • A Lap Around America (A Lap Around...)
  • Best Foot Forward
  • No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney
  • No Place Like Home, Thank God: A 22,000 Mile Bicycle Ride Around Europe
  • Two Old Fools in Turmoil
  • Ordinary Magic: Promises I Kept to My Mother Through Life, Illness, and a Very Long Walk on the Camino de Santiago
  • A Kilo of String
  • The Exotic and the Mundane
  • The Wrong Shade of Yellow
  • Between a Rock and a White Blaze: Searching for Significance on the Appalachian Trail
  • Prius or Pickup?: How the Answers to Four Simple Questions Explain America’s Great Divide
  • The Nepali Flat
  • Old Lady on the Trail: Triple Crown at 76
  • Adventure North
  • Torn Trousers: A True Story of Courage and Adventure: How A Couple Sacrificed Everything To Escape to Paradise
  • Things Can Only Get Feta: Two Journalists and Their Crazy Dog Living Through the Greek Crisis

George Mahood is an award-winning writer. Specifically, he was placed third in the Little Brington Village Fete's limerick competition (Under 10s category) in 1988. It was the same year that Mrs Marriott's legendary fruit loaf was beaten in the WI cake contest for the first time in six years.

George studied Communication Studies and English Literature at Leeds University. After spending a year trav