Start by marking “Courage Is Contagious: And Other Reasons to Be Grateful for Michelle Obama” as Want to Read:
Courage Is Contagious: And Other Reasons to Be Grateful for Michelle Obama

Courage Is Contagious: And Other Reasons to Be Grateful for Michelle Obama

A collection of never-before-published essays celebrating a First Lady whose impact will be felt for years to come, featuring contributors from Cheryl Strayed to Missy Elliott
Michelle Obama's legacy transcends categorization; her cultural imprint is as nuanced as it is indelible. She used her time in the White House to fight for women, minorities, and health and educatio
Audiobook
Published October 24th 2017 by Penguin Random House Audio Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Courage Is Contagious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Courage Is Contagious

Seymone
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audibles-read
Very inspiring. Makes one really think about the mark one leaves on the world. What do people say about you when your not around.

Summation, Michelle Obama is a class act. She had a huge impact on so many people, from the young to the old. What you find in this book is their stories.

Very inspiring read.
Garrett
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know you need to read this, and if you don't already know that, you don't need to read it. I love Michelle Obama, and her not being First Lady makes me a little weepy. If you don't feel that way, fuck you. She's classy, I'm not.
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a delightful book of celebration and inspiration.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 3 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

I put this on hold only because it featured essays on Michelle Obama. There were a few good essays but some were more about names (Lena Dunham who also published this book).
Chelsey
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, be-a-force
A collection of short essays about why Michelle Obama is an inspiring woman? Yes. Just yes!
LAPL Reads
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of seventeen essays is not intended to be a biography of Michelle Obama, many of which can be found here in LAPL’s catalog, rather this is an appreciation of who she is as a person, who also happened to be First Lady of the United States. The essays are from students and from working professionals in different fields: fashion, literature, arts and entertainment, social and political activists.

There is a commonality to their perceptions and expectations about the First Lady, as so
Shelli
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelli by: Goodreads Giveaways
Courage Is Contagious: And Other Reasons to Be Grateful for Michelle Obama is a sweet little volume of essays from mostly (but not only) women, spanning the spectrum of personal fame, each with a varying degree of connection to the former First Lady – from actresses and activists to authors and fashionistas – all of whom describe in short chapters the snapshots of Mrs. Obama's life they'd gotten to see, and how each encounter influenced and inspired them.

It was both fascinating and heartwarmi
Maria
This collection of essays showcases Michelle Obama, not by her title, but by the amazing human being that she is that gave us eight great years in which we got to see her grow, transform, and revitalize not just the image of the White House but us, as a nation, us a people as we too grew, transformed and revitalized with her.

This collection showcases Michelle's facets from the eyes of the people who wrote them, whether they get to meet her in person or not, and all showcase the warm, intelligent
Jeimy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely odes to the one of the country’s most beloved first lady.
Shannon
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was both encouraging - it made me wonder what seeds I can plant through my own actions - and discouraging- because our current first family is so far from the one described here.

I liked the different voices in this book, but my favorite pieces were certainly those written by authors, not celebrities. John Meacham’s piece was particularly good. Rashida Jones’ had particularly awkward writing that required lots of reading and re-reading to get her point.

That being said, the editor did
Ruby
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice Waters: "The food from the garden became a metaphor for the values of the First Couple, from welcoming guests to helping neighbors in need."

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: "All over America, black women were still, their eyes watching a form of God, because she represented their image writ large in the world."

Janet Mock: "Her gift was her ability to address the truth of the matter, and I always believed her-probably because she was not a politician, because she was doing unpaid labor, because sh
Lara
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful tribute to Michelle Obama!

"For me, a foreign-raised person who likes America, one of its greatest curiosities is this: that those who have the most reason for dissent are those least allowed dissent." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

"Things happen that are beyond our control, but we have a choice to give up or to keep fighting. Life is like a boxing match. It's not about how hard you hit. It's about how many times you can take a hit and get back up." - Adasendis De La Cruz

"Like so many of
Katy
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received my copy free through Goodreads Giveaways. My copy is an uncorrected ARC, so a couple of chapters are blank.

I loved the chapter written by Adasendis and Laura (8th graders) for who Michelle Obama was a role model of working hard and doing better. Gloria Steinem wrote, "We will never have a democracy until we have democratic families and a society without the invented categories of both race and gender. Michelle Obama may have changed history in the most powerful way -- by example."

Whet
Jenny Slorach
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
A true celebration of an incredible woman. Highlights include moving essays from two high school students who grew up knowing only the Obamas in office. Not all of the authors added fresh and interesting perspectives to the collection (do we really care how Michelle Obama has affected Anna Wintour? I know I don’t).
Jess
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is an extraordinarily quick read that’ll bring some tears in the current political climate. But I loved it.
ariesdollface
NOTE: I received this book free through the Goodreads First Reads program.

I still remember how I felt when I first read “To the First Lady with Love,” the 2016 New York Times article that serves as the inspiration for this book. The original contributions of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Gloria Steinem, Jon Meacham, and Rashida Jones were powerful testaments to Michelle Obama’s style, grace, intellect, influence, work, and purpose. Some pieces lyrical and deeply personal, others cerebral and reflect
Sarah Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful slim book of essays honoring just a snapshot of the deep impact and legacy of Michelle Obama's time in the White House.

Each essay was interesting and important, and I feel I learned from each of them. I especially loved the two essays by high school freshman who shared what Michelle means to them and the dreams they now have for their future. What a strong and empowering role model!

My favorite essay was actually the very first in the book by Alice Waters primarily about the imp
Kristin MB
The essays in this collection are from people have had the privilege of meeting or otherwise of being inspired and positively affected by Michelle Obama. They were somewhat uneven, as may be expected from many non-writers, but I thought the collection overall did a good job of capturing the special and truly inspiring woman Michelle Obama is. Because each person was writing from their own perspective, there was a lot of repetition but perhaps that goes to show that these were universally admired ...more
Pam
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 2016 election pulled many of us out of our private political closets, as issues and words could not be overlooked, accepted, or ignored. Although I'd had no opposition to the Obamas, the sharp contrast now became apparent, and I was drawn to their calm strength and compassion for others. Each time I heard Michelle Obama speak, my respect and admiration grew. This small book of essays about her impact on the lives of others from differing backgrounds, cultures, and ages was a good way for me ...more
Jeanie
I have nothing but love and respect for the greatest first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt. Michelle Obama has shown all men and women what it is to be wholly respectful, unique, empowered, & enlightened.Mrs. Obama showed us how to live your life leaving what you inherited, better when you leave. Her involvement with Veterans, health of children, a pro garden movement to encourage healthful eating and knowledge, a movement to get children and adults to move more; may seem like very motherly thi ...more
Sara Mantia
Talk about having an ideal book to always have by your side to remind you of such a wonderful human being. This book is a love letter to First Lady Michelle Obama by people that were closest to her and just by people that had day to day interactions with her. The general theme from almost everyone's insight stresses just how strong, brave, kind and graceful she is. I grew up on the South Side of Chicago not very far from where Michelle was born and raised so naturally I already worship her but I ...more
JoDeanne Francis
Originally I planned to give this book two stars but because it’s about Michelle Obama...I couldn’t.

I enjoyed this book because of some of the personal accounts of experiences with Michelle Obama, the stories of how she inspired others, and snippets of who she was. I think this book made me love her more as I was inspired by the love of others in this book.

With that said, only a few essays really moved me...it was definitely a variety of voices but, I wish some of these voices were included or
Maggie Mattmiller
Love paying homage to the wonderful woman who is Michelle Obama, but this didn't quite do it for me. Definitely some nice sentiments, but it just didn't feel like enough, or significant. I guess I needed more.
Dehlia
The stories were very short, but sweet. Made me long for the Obama administration...
Joanna Taylor Stone
Well that was a nice little bright spot.
Bethany
This isn't really about politics, it's a brief collection of essays, essentially thanking the First Lady for acting with poise and grace and being so many things during her time in the White House. There isn't much to say for fluffy little books like this, and I initially intended to rate it three stars because it really is just fluff, but I felt the contributors deserved to have it said that they wrote well. As a whole, it's nice. It is nice to read that there can be grace and dignity in the Wh ...more
Debra
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book about our former first lady. She is extremely intelligent besides being beautiful. Simply a wonderful book!
Stephanie
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Short little book of short essays on the impact Michelle Obama has had on various people - there are two ninth grade girl submissions and the rest are authors, activists or entertainers.

Although I felt her husband let us down in the end, I still admire Michelle Obama. In some ways, I feel like she would have been better as President. I loved how she truly tried to change the quality of food for our children and how passionate she was about it.

I gave this 3 stars because, to me the foreward was
Olivia
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. stars. This is a heartwarming and uplifting collection of small essays answering the question, "Why are you grateful for Michelle Obama?" Respondents include famous actors, writers, designers, and activists, as well as two young girls. They touched on the example that Michelle Obama has set, the initiatives she has taken under her wing, and the symbolism of her presence in the White House.

I enjoyed the pieces presented by Gabourey Sidibe, Charlamagne Tha God, and Jason Wu, but felt that ma
Chris Labib
Courage is Contagious: And Other Reasons to Be Grateful for Michelle Obama gives you an idea of what Michelle Obama's fan mail must be like.

But that's the thing - it's weird to read fan mail as an outsider. The essays were a little too specific and too personal for me to connect with; instead, they left me feeling vaguely nostalgic and jealous and frustrated. I miss Michelle Obama. I want to meet Michelle Obama. Why, oh, why did Michelle and Barak Obama have to leave the White House!?

NOTE: I di

• Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama
  • Enchantments: A Modern Witch's Guide to Self-Possession
  • Bukowski in a Sundress: Confessions from a Writing Life
  • The Mirage Factory: Illusion, Imagination, and the Invention of Los Angeles
  • What's Your Favorite Animal?
  • Rules for the Dance: A Handbook for Writing and Reading Metrical Verse