Start by marking “Clouded by Envy” as Want to Read:
Clouded by Envy

Clouded by Envy

Brenik has always been envious of his twin sister, Bray. Growing up as fairy-like creatures, known as bats, everything came easier to Bray. While Brenik spent his time in her shadows, never feeling he was enough. After escaping their world of Laith, and living on Earth for ten years, Brenik attempts to strike a deal with the Stone of Desire to become human. Though true hum ...more
ebook, 1, 215 pages
Published February 19th 2019 by The Parliament House

James
In my quest to become a more well-read and genre-diverse connoisseur of great literature, I often pick up a book that I think will be one thing yet turns out to be something quite different in a wonderfully shocking and engaging way. I've read several novels written or co-written by Candace Robinson in the past, but when the opportunity to read her upcoming release, Clouded by Envy, arose, I had to jump on it -- initially from the cover alone. What is that!?! I bet you want to know... it's gorge ...more
Candace Robinson
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Clouded by Envy is officially out in the world! I can’t wait for you to meet Brenik and Bray!
Carrie
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clouded By Envy by Candace Robinson is a fantasy read that to me falls into a bit more new adult than young adult content or for a more mature YA audience. The story is told mainly from the points of view of the two main characters in it, Bray and Brenik, alternating their chapters.

Bray and Brenik are twins that are faerie like creatures that most resemble bats and were born in another world. Bray was the first born and stronger of the twins with Brenik being the weaker and from the moment they
Dannii Elle
If Holly Black and Sarah J. Maas had a book baby it wouldn't be far from this.

Clouded by Envy follows the split perspective of twins, Brenik and Bray. They were forced to flee from their own world and enter the human sphere when hunters sought to consume them. Their bat-like features and winged bodies made them an anomaly here, but they learnt that humans can hold inside of them an extraordinary kindness, even for beings so other than themselves.

As well as traversing a new world together, the tw
Dianne
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My Rating: 4.5 Stars!

Envy can turn us all into monsters if we never learn to accept the good in our own lives. Things just came easier for Brenik’s twin sister, Bray and as much as he loved her and needed her, it was envy that nearly destroyed them both. Being fairy-like creatures in the human world only made things worse and Brenik’s envy and discontent with his lot in life causes him to make a foolish and deadly bargain with the Stone of Desire.

CLOUDED BY ENVY by Candace Robinson is filled wi
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
When the author offered me a review copy of her new release, I expected a fairly standard YA fae story, but what I got was an incredibly unique new adult urban fantasy read! There are a lot of moving pieces to this plot, but they all work well together, whether we're exploring life with a couple of human brothers with Bray (who I loved — she's just a fun, likable little thing), or watching Brenik struggle through a lot of very traumatic, odd changes in his life.

The story changes perspectives bet
Yesha
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You can read all my review on Blog - Books Teacup and Reviews

Clouded by Envy was a NA fantasy paranormal romance; a bittersweet story of siblings, envy, deepest desire turning out to be disaster, selfishness, dark vs light within self, choices and its consequences.

characters-
Brayora (Bray) and Brenik were twin sister and brother. They looked like small fairies, bats with human face. Bray was pure-hearted, amiable, smart and was quite mature. She formed relations with humans on earth easily. She
Donna
February 19, 2019 Clouded By Envy is out in the world!!! 🦇🦇 I can’t wait for you to meet Brenik & Bray!!!!

Clouded By Envy is ONE OF MY TOP 5 FAVORITE BOOKS!!! Back two years ago, I had the privilege of reading it when it was first written. I fell in love with the story of Brenik and Bray!!! To see this book getting published brings tears to my eyes! This is truly the most unique fantasy story, and it is full of heart.

Brenik and Bray...twin brother and sister, they have a rough start in life
Sheila Goicea
See my full review of this book on my blog along with others at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com.

I received an ARC of this book from the author, Candace Robinson, in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much!

description

Content Warning: Death, Murder, Explicit Sex Scenes

description
”But the cravings will darken your soul--your heart--more than the envy already has. It will all be insatiable--do you accept this?”

BLURB: A green feeling. A bargain. A massive price to pay. Dracula meets The Picture of Dorian Grey in t
Alexa Whitewolf
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s hard these days to find a fantasy book that’s different OR that has a good mix of explaining a new world yet keeping the characters relatable. Clouded by Envy does that and soooo much more! It's an EPIC adult fantasy that will really keep you reading :)

Brenik and Bray are the epitome of yin and yang. Such opposites, such love and hate, and pull and tug. My heart both bled and got angry at Brenik, and Bray - SUCH a ray of light. I connected on more than just a reader level with these charact
Gerardo Delgadillo
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of CLOUDED BY ENVY in exchange for an honest review. What a ride! Let’s start the review with Brenik. Man, he’s one of my favorite characters because he has multiple layers–the good, the bad, the ugly, and the very-very bad! After escaping his world, he struggles to discover his own identity and finds it difficult to belong. In his journey and as time ticks by, he turns dark and bitter.

Now, enter Bray. For her, life is sunshine with a cherry on top. But when
Jamie  McColgan
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Siobhan
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve happily jumped into every Candace Robinson book to date, but I don’t think I was ever as excited for any of the prior books as I was for Clouded by Envy. From the moment I heard about this one, I wanted it. It promised so many of the things I love, it had an intriguing blurb, and I fell in love with the cover. Thus, I was more than willing to dive in.

As there was quite a bit of time between finding out about this one and getting my hands on it, I created quite a few expectations in my mind.
Cindy
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found Clouded By Envy refreshing, unlike anything I've read before. I thought Bray was so sweet and cute! I also really liked Luca and Wes. There were moments where I almost felt sorry for Brenik, and I was always curious to see what he would do next. A fast fun addictive read. I'm so glad I bought the paperback version so I can admire it on my bookshelf.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if Candace Robinson wanted to continue the story. :)
Angelina
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Candace Robinson has done it again! She's created a story that uses fact and fiction to weave a spell over the reader and leave them wanting more. When it comes to a book by this very talented author, I know I'm going to take a journey with memorable characters who will surprise me along the way. She combines horror with the paranormal and uses books or films we know so well to give her readers stories that shine and remain with them for days after. There's just something about this author's wor ...more
Conny
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-books
I loved this book. I've read this book for a review, but I do only short reviews, so I hope this is good enough. It was a strange story, did not see this coming. And that's a good thing. If you love Fairytales but a little strange, than you should read this, it's just wonderful. Thanks for the read.
Naomi
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What made me pick this book up, was the beautiful cover. I was not disappointed by this story.
This book is a breath of fresh air. I loved what the author wrote down. It's so different than what I usually read. This story is told from two perspectives. Brenik and Bray. I loved reading from Brenik's POV. The author descibed the desire Brenik had to be better than his sister in way that made me sympathise with him. I loved the development of the chacater's.

Anna (RattleTheShelves)
*An e-ARC was provided to me in exchange for an honest review*

Ah, that's a hard one. First of all, I went into this book completely blindly. I was momentarilly drawn in by the fairy-tale, middle grade vibes... and then things escalated into an adult territory within a scene and remained strictly there.

The story has a lot of potential and I'm sorry to rank it so low but it reads more like a first draft. I was really thrown-off by the super-confusing achronological begining. Also, the ending was p
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
True Rating 3.5 stars!

Clouded by Envy was a creative tale that follows the life of a set of twins from childhood to early adulthood with all the good and bad in between. From the start of this story it is very clear that Brenik, the younger brother, cares for his sister but he also harbors much jealousy towards her. Envy is in his every thought and it colors his judgment in almost every situation. His sister, Brayora, on the other hand, was an amazing big sister (even if only by a few minutes 😊)
C. Lewis
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy mythology.
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of CLOUDED BY ENVY in exchange for an honest review. What can I say… IT WAS AN ORIGIN STORY!!!! I don’t care what anyone says, that is exactly what it was. And to avoid spoilers, I can’t tell you what creatures’ origin story. You are going to have to read the book! Brenik is a very dark character and fit the title of the book, COMPLETELY. I was so rooting for him to get his act together. Especially since…sorry, spoiler. I fell in love with Braya and her self ...more
Amber Hodges
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy smokes this book! I was sucked in from the very beginning and couldn't stop until the last page. Even then I have found myself thinking of the book and wanting to go re-read it to get into the story all over again.

From the beginning I felt an intense draw to both Brenik and Bray. I loved that the book is split into the POV of them both so you get to understand what is going on while they are apart. The sibling combo will pull out all sorts of emotions in you, including fear, suspense, love,
Shanannigans
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Such a wonderous peek into the lives of magical creatures living amongst us!

At first, I was a little skeptical. I’m not partial to hardcore Fantasy and the first few pages describe what can only be a fantastical land, inhabited by surreal characters. That said, I know Candace’s work well, so I expected more to the story, and of course, she didn’t let me down.

Best described as Urban Fantasy, Bray and Brenik end up in our world and their journey into adulthood is not an easy one. Without divulging
Katya Becerra
This new adult offering by Candace Robinson is The Secret World of Arrietty meets The Picture of Dorian Gray - so weird and strange and totally unexpected!

Clouded by Envy explores sibling rivalry in supernatural settings, mixing two narratives together in a thrilling story of envy, luck, bad decisions and atonement.
Sarah Lampkin
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A strange fairytale that will take you through so many twists and turns with a unique plot! I would recommend this book!
Jessica Julien
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clouded Envy is a great example of genre mash ups and emotional roller coasters. The characters are unique and relatable and the fantasy aspect of it is intertwined with reality in a very fluid way.

The story itself was presented well and provided enough history of characters and worlds to make the reader feel satisfied and the ending concluded well but also left it open to the next piece.

(*ending spoilers alert***)

The ending was a little odd to me but I did like it. Just the thought of reincarn
Mallory McCartney
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Candace has quickly become one of my favourite authors, and Clouded by Envy is a beautifully written book. Readers that love fantasy, for SURE pick this up. Candace has not only created a unique world but memorable characters with a plot that will make you devour every page, and longing for more once you are done. I highly recommend Clouded by Envy!!!
Didi Oviatt
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantasy is somewhat hit and miss for me. It takes a writing style that feels real, and a story line that's truly kissed with emotions in order for me to love a fantasy book. I'm SO thrilled to say that Clouded by Enyy did not disappoint! In fact, it really set the bar high! This is the first book that I've read by Candace Robinson, and it most certainly wont be the last.

Bray and Brenik are siblings of a different sort. They're fairy(ish) creatures who came to Earth by way of escape from their ow
Carol
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
CLOUDED BY ENVY

• ⭐: 3,7/5

💬: I received a complimentary copy of the book and that a positive review is not required.
I dove in this book and really liked the whole experience. The story focus on two points of view, one being Brenik’s and the other Bray’s, twin siblings that even though love each other, they have jealousy tainting their relationship.
Brenik was always difficult, always envious of all the attention Bray received and even with loving his sister he never got rid of those dark fee
Hayley
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: candace-robinson
Another awesome book by Candace Robinson!
Clouded by envy follows the lives of twins, Bray and Brenik. I'm glad it was told from both their points of view as I would have been a lot angrier with Brenik if I didn't know how he was feeling.
It's set in the 90's and I loved the nostalgia it gave me with all the references to things I loved from back then... take me back! ❤
I had a particular soft spot for Luca and Wes, they are both the most lovable characters.
The entire book is a page Turner from sta
Aislinn Honeycutt
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was all for Brenik at the start of the book but then he lost me when he turned into a huge dick.
This story was nothing like what I imagined it to be but it was so good. SO GOOD.
The only thing I would want more of from this story is a more in depth lore about the bats and the Stone of Desire. But I'm sure some answers will come later down the line.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Winterdream
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • Jade (Three J'Amigos, #1)
  • The Red Queen (Wonderland University #1)
  • Emergence (The Infernal Guard, #1)
  • Booke of the Hidden (Booke of the Hidden #1)
  • Armored Hearts (Armored Hearts, #1)
  • Blue Bottle Tree
  • Witches in Wonderland (Wicked in Moonhaven #3)
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • Two Thousand Years (The Empire Saga #1)
  • The Slayer and the Sphinx  (The Slayer and the Sphinx, #1)
  • Cookies, Curses, and Kisses (Blue Moon Bay, #1)
  • Per-Bast: A Tale of Cats in Ancient Egypt
  • Cat's Paw (The Time Corps Chronicles, #2)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Snow White Learns Witchcraft: Stories and Poems
My name is Candace Robinson, obviously. I spend my days consumed by words. When I'm not writing stories, I maintain a book review blog—Literary Dust. My life consists of avoiding migraines, admiring Bonsai trees, and living with my husband and daughter in Texas—where it can be forty degrees one day and eighty the next.

Sign up for my newsletter to hear about awesome things! http://eepurl.com/dhV0yv
“Regrets are unacceptable, and a reversal of your decision is impossible because your desire today overpowers any future wishes.” 0 likes
“The envy needs to cease, or it will destroy everything that is a part of you.” 0 likes