Start by marking “Stolen (The Stolen Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Stolen (The Stolen Series Book 1)

Stolen

(Stolen #1)

It’s difficult taking care of a delusional father by yourself. Sixteen-year-old Shaleigh Mallet would rather explore and photograph dilapidated buildings than cater to her father’s dark episodes. But when she’s kidnapped by a creature who carries her atop a flying bicycle into another world, she realizes this wasn’t the escape she wanted.

In a kingdom known as the Garden, w
ebook
Published January 22nd 2019 by The Parliament House

To ask other readers questions about Stolen, please sign up.
Marlena Frank Stolen started out as a short story, written for a little prompt about spring way back when I was on Livejournal. I loved participating in writing…moreStolen started out as a short story, written for a little prompt about spring way back when I was on Livejournal. I loved participating in writing communities and writing challenges on there. The story started out with a girl running late for class and asking a talking stone lion for help navigating through the flower garden. Fast forward several years and several drafts later, and Stolen was born.

Much inspiration was lifted from my love of Alice in Wonderland and similar portal fantasy tales like the Wizard of Oz. That idea of being swept away into another world and having to adapt quickly was really fascinating to me. Mix that with my love of 80s fantasy films growing up like Labyrinth, Return to Oz, and Neverending Story, and Stolen took on a much more interesting twist. It definitely shows my love of dark fantasy and my love of epic journeys like The Hobbit.

All in all, quite a lot went into it over several years.

Thank you for the wonderful question!
Marlena(less)

Candace Robinson
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, I'll start by saying what a cool and unique book! I mean, you get stone lions, flying bicycles, and a world like no other. This story takes me back to the time when there were actually good fantasy movies: Return to Oz, Labyrinth, Legend. You know what? Probably just go ahead and make this one a movie to bring some creativity back to the world!

Shaleigh was a very strong protagonist. I felt she didn't let getting sent to another strange world break her. In this new place, she grows as a ch
Dana-Adriana B.
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
Wow, I never had thought that a fantasy book will be so enjoyable. The characters, the places, everything was so magical. I can't wait for the next book.
If I would have to choose one character I would choose Mawr.
Thanks to the author for this ARC.
Celia McMahon
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am incredibly lucky enough to know such great authors and be able to connect with them via social media. I mean, social media is great in this aspect...you know, if you ignore the comments on news articles. (Sometimes I don't, and it's a problem). This is how I won an advance copy of STOLEN by Marlena Frank. Well, not through a news article, but on FB during a launch party for publishing house sister. I'm rambling, so I'll get to it.

Sixteen-year-old Shaleigh is the heroine of this story. She
Danielle Roux
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic novel! I love the strange and magical vibe of the world, it’s like something out of an old 80s fantasy movie. Evil trees, faerie contracts, corrupt rulers, and living statues! Major Labyrinth vibes, but way darker and more political. Love the dialogue, especially the exchanges between Shaleigh and Teagan going back-and-forth about the messed up rules of the Garden. The cliffhanger at the end brings the story into to a whole new world of magic and terror and I am ready!

I’m a fan
R.J. Garcia
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to receive an ARC of Marlena Frank's Stolen. Sixteen-year-old Shaleigh Mallet is a care taker to her delusional father. Feeling overwhelmed and lonely she wants to escape. When she is kidnapped, a magical and unique adventure unfolds. There is imaginative world building and cool twist and turns. If cliff hangers aren't your thing, this may not be the book for you. If you want a story that will keeping reading to 2 in the morning I gladly recommend this one. Perfect for fans of fantas ...more
Donna
THIS WAS THE MOST UNIQUE, FASCINATING, BRILLIANT STORY!! The world building!!! It is so well written, enough detail that it paints a wonderful picture in the imagination, where you now start building upon it with your own interpretation!! Which to me is perfection! That is what i want from a book. This world where there are Faeries, Minotaurs, Shadow Wolves and Living Statues, etc. is so reminiscent to me of 80s movies that I loved, like Legend, Labyrinth & Return To OZ. BUT at the same time ...more
Blaire Hammond
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stolen by Marlena Frank Spoiler Free Review.

*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review.*

Wow, what an honestly refreshing and unique story! I loved how different and wonderful and fantastical the feeling of this book was. It was really a great read than I just had to award a 4 out of 5 stars to.

Our lead character was a strong, wonderful character to read about and watch grow. In addition, seeing how her story grew, and watching her develop and evolve was really fanta
K.J. Harrowick
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent the ARC for this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

What I loved:
The voice in this tale is strong and beautiful. From the first page, Shaleigh and her best friend leap off the page and pull readers into their visceral tale. I really connected with these characters and couldn't wait to find out what lurked in the abandoned building.

Why I disconnected:
20% into this book, the story changed directions. Shaleigh gets abducted from her life and pulled into a new world. A
Laetitia
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This novel is well constructed, beautifully written, and quite original.
I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't get into the story. I wasn't able to connect to any of the characters. I just don't know why. Maybe it was the pacing?
I think this book would please a lot of people but it just wasn't for me.
Jan farnworth
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This turned out to be a very different story then I expected. I was expecting it to be like a changeling switch with a fae creature kind of story. What we got is an interesting adventure into a fairyland that had stone lions, fairies who drive flying bikes, and a land that is influenced by Queen Mab but not ruled by her. The first few chapters really set up the background for our main character Shaleigh who has a father who believes in Fae and suffers from some pretty strong disillusions about s ...more
Brittney's Review
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! The imagery the author is able to conjure up for the reader is fantastic because she does such a great job with the descriptions. While the story may have the feel of familiar elements (think Wizard of Oz), it is actually very unique in it's own rights. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland type feel to a story. I can't wait to see where the sequel takes the characters that I have grown fond of.
Iany Mcgrawn
Nov 23, 2018
Maureen
Jan 22, 2019
Tiffany
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2019
Amber Hodges
Feb 16, 2019
Shauna Joesten
Jan 25, 2019
Marlena Frank
Dec 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Caro
Sep 20, 2018
Sep 20, 2018
Stephanie Gerber
Oct 03, 2018
A writer of both fantasy and horror, Marlena’s work is in a smattering of anthologies. Her stories lean toward weird horror, creature horror, and YA fantasy. She typically thinks up strange tales while sipping sweet tea at her Georgia home, listening to podcasts on her hour-long commute, or while reading a good book with her three cats.

Sign up for my newsletter to get access to cover reveals, excl