Start by marking “Stolen (The Stolen Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stolen (The Stolen Series, #1)

Stolen

(The Stolen Series #1)

It’s difficult taking care of a delusional father by yourself. Sixteen-year-old Shaleigh Mallet would rather explore and photograph dilapidated buildings than cater to her father’s dark episodes. But when she’s kidnapped by a creature who carries her atop a flying bicycle into another world, she realizes this wasn’t the escape she wanted.

In a kingdom known as the Garden, w
ebook
Published January 22nd 2019 by The Parliament House

To ask other readers questions about Stolen, please sign up.
Marlena Frank Stolen started out as a short story, written for a little prompt about spring way back when I was on Livejournal. I loved participating in writing com…moreStolen started out as a short story, written for a little prompt about spring way back when I was on Livejournal. I loved participating in writing communities and writing challenges on there. The story started out with a girl running late for class and asking a talking stone lion for help navigating through the flower garden. Fast forward several years and several drafts later, and Stolen was born.

Much inspiration was lifted from my love of Alice in Wonderland and similar portal fantasy tales like the Wizard of Oz. That idea of being swept away into another world and having to adapt quickly was really fascinating to me. Mix that with my love of 80s fantasy films growing up like Labyrinth, Return to Oz, and Neverending Story, and Stolen took on a much more interesting twist. It definitely shows my love of dark fantasy and my love of epic journeys like The Hobbit.

All in all, quite a lot went into it over several years.

Thank you for the wonderful question!
Marlena(less)

Start your review of Stolen (The Stolen Series, #1)
Candace Robinson
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, I'll start by saying what a cool and unique book! I mean, you get stone lions, flying bicycles, and a world like no other. This story takes me back to the time when there were actually good fantasy movies: Return to Oz, Labyrinth, Legend. You know what? Probably just go ahead and make this one a movie to bring some creativity back to the world!

Shaleigh was a very strong protagonist. I felt she didn't let getting sent to another strange world break her. In this new place, she grows as a ch
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, The Parliament House Press, for an honest review.

Opinion:

I feel as if I’ve just fallen off a Yellow Brick Road into a Rabbit Hole.

Down…down…down…

…into the dark depths of h-

HAH, kidding.

It’s more like the magical depths of WonderOzRinth.

description

This author is clever.

While reading Stolen I got INSTANT vibes of Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz. A rat-boy creature driving a flying bike through the sky, a garden with an evil “Queen”, a cowardly
Dana-Adriana B.
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: goodreads
Wow, I never had thought that a fantasy book will be so enjoyable. The characters, the places, everything was so magical. I can't wait for the next book.
If I would have to choose one character I would choose Mawr.
Thanks to the author for this ARC.
Alexandra
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This book ended up being a decent read, which was pleasantly surprising after deciding to stick to the story and see it through.

This book started out dull for me, but the later half of the story was much more engaging. If you like fast paced stories or stories that get straight to the action, this novel may not be to your liking or may frustrate you for the first half.

One of the downsides i noticed early on was that i didn't really get attached to the characters, and i only decided i liked a few
Celia McMahon
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am incredibly lucky enough to know such great authors and be able to connect with them via social media. I mean, social media is great in this aspect...you know, if you ignore the comments on news articles. (Sometimes I don't, and it's a problem). This is how I won an advance copy of STOLEN by Marlena Frank. Well, not through a news article, but on FB during a launch party for publishing house sister. I'm rambling, so I'll get to it.

Sixteen-year-old Shaleigh is the heroine of this story. She
Danielle Roux
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic novel! I love the strange and magical vibe of the world, it’s like something out of an old 80s fantasy movie. Evil trees, faerie contracts, corrupt rulers, and living statues! Major Labyrinth vibes, but way darker and more political. Love the dialogue, especially the exchanges between Shaleigh and Teagan going back-and-forth about the messed up rules of the Garden. The cliffhanger at the end brings the story into to a whole new world of magic and terror and I am ready!

I’m a fan
R.J. Garcia
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to receive an ARC of Marlena Frank's Stolen. Sixteen-year-old Shaleigh Mallet is a care taker to her delusional father. Feeling overwhelmed and lonely she wants to escape. When she is kidnapped, a magical and unique adventure unfolds. There is imaginative world building and cool twist and turns. If cliff hangers aren't your thing, this may not be the book for you. If you want a story that will keeping reading to 2 in the morning I gladly recommend this one. Perfect for fans of fantas ...more
Donna
THIS WAS THE MOST UNIQUE, FASCINATING, BRILLIANT STORY!! The world building!!! It is so well written, enough detail that it paints a wonderful picture in the imagination, where you now start building upon it with your own interpretation!! Which to me is perfection! That is what i want from a book. This world where there are Faeries, Minotaurs, Shadow Wolves and Living Statues, etc. is so reminiscent to me of 80s movies that I loved, like Legend, Labyrinth & Return To OZ. BUT at the same time thi ...more
jana [ bookishwiccan ]
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review on my blog!
Laetitia
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This novel is well constructed, beautifully written, and quite original.
I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't get into the story. I wasn't able to connect to any of the characters. I just don't know why. Maybe it was the pacing?
I think this book would please a lot of people but it just wasn't for me.
Suzy Michael
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
* I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for my fair and honest review.*

Stolen by Marlena Frank was an absolute joy to read! It transported me back to my child, to a world where fairies ride flying bicycles, statues can talk, and has a villain you love to hate! A completely original story that is a breath of fresh air on the YA Fantasy genre!

Shaleigh is 16 yrs old and is tired of her life of taking care of her ailing father. She gets away by taking pictures of abandoned buildi
Amanda
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to first apologize for not getting this post out. I thought I had it scheduled and didn’t think anything of it…until I saw it never posted. Yeah, it’s been one of those weeks for me. I would also like to thank the Parliament House and the author for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book. Thank you again, and again, I apologize for not getting this out like I promised.

As you all know that I adore fantasy/fairy tale type books. They don’t always have to be retellings. I lov
Erica (storybookend)
Stolen follows the story of a girl who is kidnapped by a strange creature and taken from the modern world to a new world full of magical creatures where she is seen by some as the reincarnation of an old ruler.

Stolen was an interesting, whimsical book. It seemed like it was in between middle grade and young adult. It felt like a mg book, but then there were more mature ya moments. So, not quite sure what to think about it.

I was hoping there would be more with the relationship between Shaleigh
Blaire Hammond
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stolen by Marlena Frank Spoiler Free Review.

*I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for a free and honest review.*

Wow, what an honestly refreshing and unique story! I loved how different and wonderful and fantastical the feeling of this book was. It was really a great read than I just had to award a 4 out of 5 stars to.

Our lead character was a strong, wonderful character to read about and watch grow. In addition, seeing how her story grew, and watching her develop and evolve was really fanta
Laura L
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, e-book
It's been a while since I've read something that even remotely resembled an 80s movie -- which had pretty much been my whole childhood. This felt like a throwback with a kick. A spicy throwback? Maybe?

Anywho, I love odd fantasy, fantasy that stays true to its heart and is twisty and full of darkness. Stolen was just like that and so much more. From shady faeries to weird creatures to oddly normal items being used in fantastical ways, this book had it all.

I cannot wait for the second book!
Paige Green
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from Parliament House. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book Series: Stolen #1

Rating: 4.5/5

Publication Date: January 22, 2019

Genre: YA Fantasy

Recommended Age: 14+ (mental illness, some scary moments, kidnapping, forced servitude)

Publisher: Parliament House

Pages: 258

Amazon Link

Synopsis: It’s difficult taking care of a delusional father by yourself. Sixteen-year-old Shaleigh Mallet would rather explore and photograph dilapidated buildings than cater to her father’s
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
DNF at 12%

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

Short version: I couldn't connect with the characters or the story.

The blurb promised minotaurs, faeries, and reincarnation, but I didn't get that far. I stopped reading before the kidnapping occurred, because I didn't want to force myself to read something I wasn't enjoying. The dialogue didn'
K. J. Harrowick
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent the ARC for this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

What I loved:
The voice in this tale is strong and beautiful. From the first page, Shaleigh and her best friend leap off the page and pull readers into their visceral tale. I really connected with these characters and couldn't wait to find out what lurked in the abandoned building.

Why I disconnected:
20% into this book, the story changed directions. Shaleigh gets abducted from her life and pulled into a new world. A
Justine Barr
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
An urban explorer searching for some peace. A magical city searching for their leader.

Stolen follows Shaleigh Mallet, a young girl haunted by the loss of her mother. She finds herself swept up in the mysteries of a city built on Fae magic and run by a supposed tyrant named Madam Cloom. A cast of secondary characters helps Shaleigh navigate this new world, and they each seek their own ends.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story. The pacing and action were nicely done, and there were some intense s
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Marlena Frank and The Parliament House for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

3 stars.

What started out as an interesting read quickly became a little dull. I tried to keep pushing through it and while it was entertaining enough, it was pretty borderline. I had wanted to read his for the fairies element. Sadly it did not live up to my expectations and I found it a struggle to get through and while it wasn't bad, it could have been better. The cover I rea
KD
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: earc
**I received a copy from the publisher The Parliament House Press for an honest review**

Stolen by Marlena Frank is a story about a girl who loves spending her days searching/ taking photos of condemned buildings with her best friend while having to basically look after her father who has basically lost his mind who is suddenly kidnapped by a flying monkey ( well he rides a flying bicycle) and is taken to a strange and magical land where she must prove that she is the reincarnation of a past rule
chelsea {chelseareads_}
Full review on blog!

Thank you Parliament House Press for sending me an eARC and for allowing me to participate in the Takeover Tour!
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an enchanting read!

I feel like I was just kidnapped and taken on a trip to Narnia, only here, there are no ultimately good or evil characters. There are just characters, all with their own motivations and desires, surviving under hostile leadership. Add in a touch of Hunger Games and some mythical lore, and you have Stolen!

With a lovable cast and a well-paced plot, Stolen is a fantastic debut novel! Marlena Frank has proven herself to be an awesome storyteller!
Jill Elizabeth
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was highly intrigued by the blurb and the cover, and the first half of the book was fascinating with great world-building and an interesting plot and cast of characters. But things started to flutter about a bit after that, and seemed to lose focus and I started struggling with it a little... By the final chapters I was more or less back in the story, until things stopped (as opposed to ended) . I've said it before and I'll say it again, the ending in a multi-series book is a very important an ...more
Brittney's Review
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! The imagery the author is able to conjure up for the reader is fantastic because she does such a great job with the descriptions. While the story may have the feel of familiar elements (think Wizard of Oz), it is actually very unique in it's own rights. I recommend this book to anyone who loves a Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland type feel to a story. I can't wait to see where the sequel takes the characters that I have grown fond of.
Connie Frank
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book written by a great author
Rachel
Jul 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Jan farnworth
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This turned out to be a very different story then I expected. I was expecting it to be like a changeling switch with a fae creature kind of story. What we got is an interesting adventure into a fairyland that had stone lions, fairies who drive flying bikes, and a land that is influenced by Queen Mab but not ruled by her. The first few chapters really set up the background for our main character Shaleigh who has a father who believes in Fae and suffers from some pretty strong disillusions about s ...more
Yolanda
*2.5 Stars*

Thank you to Parliament House and NetGalley for giving me an opportunity to read this eArc.

This book review is way overdue but I finally finished the book. It took me awhile to finish this book which is unfortunate because I thought it started off pretty good. But it just couldn’t seem to hold my interest.

Shaleigh and her friend Kaeja, have an interesting hobby. They go to decrepit locations around town to photograph them. It helps her escape issues she’s dealing with at home. Shaleig
Yolanda
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars...

• Dream Keeper (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #1)
  • Hook & Crown
  • Wandering in Wonderland (Book #1)
  • Fractalistic
  • Quinsey Wolfe's Glass Vault (Glass Vault, #1)
  • Clouded By Envy (Laith, #1)
  • The Shrike & the Shadows
  • She's Powerful Trouble
  • The Memory Thief
  • Lineage
  • Before the Broken Star (The Evermore Chronicles #1)
  • Collateral Damage
  • Blinding Night (Blinding Night, #1)
  • Two Thousand Years (The Empire Saga Book 1)
  • Wildwood (The Hightower Trilogy Book, # 1)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • To Dream Is To Die (The Dead Dreamer, #1)
  • Winterdream
Marlena Frank has always been fascinated with monsters, and now gets to write about them. She has been writing horror and fantasy short stories since 2010 and has had her work published in a number of anthologies, from Heroic Fantasy Quarterly to The Sirens Call.

Her YA Dark Fantasy novella, The She-Wolf of Kanta, was released in April 2018 from Aurelia Leo. Her debut novel, Stolen, came out Januar

The Stolen Series (3 books)
  • Broken (The Stolen Series, #2)
  • Chosen (The Stolen Series, #3)