Start by marking “Tiernan's Wake” as Want to Read:
Tiernan's Wake

Tiernan's Wake

Michael Tiernan's life is spinning out of control. He's burned out as a lawyer, withdrawing from family and friends, and avoiding reality by spending hours each day on his Irish family research. He is becoming his distant past.

Michael's life starts to change when he receives a letter from a mysterious Irish historian, Aedan Burns. Aedan believes that Michael's family histo
ebook
Published 2018

To ask other readers questions about Tiernan's Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiernan's Wake

Michael
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Absolutely loved it, the story was gripping and I devoured the book in one day. Looking forward to more from Mr. Rook!
Rebecca Skane
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A genealogical mystery and search of past relics and documents to find clues on the whereabouts of the last known portrait of red-headed she-pirate Grace O'Malley, a terror on the high seas from Ireland. This new project brings life back to Michael Tiernan, a burned out attorney. Sophisticated and intelligent read!
John
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing historical mystery

Explore the secrets of 16th-century Irish pirate Grace O’Malley as one-time lawyer Michael Tiernan searches to uncover the past, and in the process discovers a few things about himself. The pace flows quickly in this well-written novel, a joy for anyone interested in genealogy. The story takes a number of twists and turns as a cast of characters uncover clues about little-known historical events. An enjoyable read that is at times witty and times heartfelt.
Grace
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to believe this is Rook's first novel. He is a great storyteller, with a witty, spare style evocative of the late Robert B. Parker. I very much enjoyed this historical mystery, with its combination of pirates, history, ancestry, and very real people searching for meaning in the past and in the present. Looking forward to the sequel; meanwhile, I may very well get my own account on Ancestry.com!Tiernan's Wake
J
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tiernan's Wake has a lot to bite into -- a historical mystery approached through a family tree and a fantasy opportunity a man (or two) approaching a personal void of sorts decides to take. If you can bring yourself to believe all this stuff -- and I asked myself whether I would make the same leaps of faith and go forward -- you may be very entertained. Bonuses for anyone who's intrigued by Irish history, is a recovering Catholic, and is fascinated by family trees. A darn good first book.
Donna
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the combination of history, of mystery, of families, of art, all wrapped up in a great story with witty and amusing characters. Visiting Ireland is on my bucket list, and this certainly is encouraging! I love books that are not afraid to reference localities (especially ones I know!) and current events. Not sure that I am tempted to )once again) try Finnegan's Wake, however. Keep on writing!
Faith Flaherty
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Those interested in genealogy and Irish history will enjoy this novel. Everyone related to the pirate Grace O'Malley will follow the main character, Michael Tiernan, and Aedan Burns, with interest. This is a story of tracing Tiernan's ancestry. Aedan Burns is an interesting character. They'd be no story without him. It's an easy and humorous read.
Katie Nunes
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book! The characters were interesting and fun to get to know. The story is engaging, and the writing style is good—-not very serious, which I think is a good counterbalance to all of the historical research. No spoilers here, but I liked the ending. If you are a fan of things Irish, or of family genealogy, or just a good story, I recommend this novel to you!
Linda Beck
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent read! It combines Irish history, with a search for family...captivating the reader with Rook's delightful sense of humor. I was hooked from beginning to end. I would rate this novel "SIX STARS" if I could!
Rookery
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in history, genealogy and a good mystery, you will find Tiernan’s Wake a wonderful read. It held my interest throughout. Loved the characters and can’t wait for the sequel!
Kim Pellegri
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Humor intertwined with historical fiction made this book very entertaining. I would highly recommend it.
Steve
Mary Shiff
Mar 25, 2018
Jodi Sackett
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tiernan's Wake is a fascinating search by a lawyer for his Irish ancestry as well as what's truly important in life. Anyone who has wondered about their relatives will identify with Michael Tiernan, the lovable and wisecracking attorney here who finds unusual relatives, both alive and dead. Written with a totally engaging wry sense of humor, the wonderful characters come alive (along with the Irish ale and unique pub food!) as we meet Michael's clever artistic wife, the preppy law partner, and t ...more
Richard
Josette Kaplan
May 24, 2018
Christine Szczepanski
Jan 30, 2018
What if you discovered that your family wasn't your real family, and you never left the place you thought you were from? Life gets complicated, but rewarding, when we finally decide to question those preconceived notions and accept the consequences. Sometimes the answers are delivered by ancestral spirits, if we're smart enough to listen to them. It can take a lifetime.
I started writing in 2016