Start by marking “The Bride Was a Boy” as Want to Read:
The Bride Was a Boy

The Bride Was a Boy

The heartwarming transgender love story, based on true events!

Drawn in the style of diary comics with an upbeat, adorable flair, this is a charming tale about Chii, a woman assigned male at birth. Her story starts with her childhood and follows the ups and downs of exploring her sexuality, gender, and transition--as well as falling in love with a man who’s head over heels
Published May 8th 2018 by Seven Seas (first published February 10th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Was a Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Was a Boy

Start your review of The Bride Was a Boy
Trevor
An adorably fluffy read about a trans woman who falls in love with a sweet, socially awkward man who thinks the world of her. I thought this was a great balance of showcasing her transition as well as getting ready to marry. There was also some really interesting info about the process trans Japanese individuals have to go through to get their transition legally on paper (as well as explaining it is still currently illegal for same-sex marriage 😡). Perhaps it's true that the author had a bit of ...more
Moni
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pretty quick read but it’s adorable and informative to read if you’re not knowledgable about transgender issues or LGBT+ in Japan. (FYI the title was the author’s own choosing)
Rebecca
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lbgtq, manga, nonfiction
Add this one to the (growing) shortlist of LBGTQ+ manga worth owning. While generally lighter in tone than My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 and My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness, chii's story about her transition and marriage is interspersed with the various difficulties of being trans (or just on the LBGTQ+ spectrum) in Japan and the insensitive questions she gets asked. It made me switch between saying, "aww, how sweet" and "people suck!" and chii's positivity through it all is inspiring. ...more
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Real cute! A fun, upbeat memoir of one person's transition in Japan. Charming art, very informative. I enjoyed it a lot.
Amber
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very cute and fluffy. The story also provides some transgender facts on what it means to get sex reassignment surgery, or how to change your gender legally (in Japan), etc. It was both informational and cute. While it can be inferred that the author went through struggles and hardships along her journey it was definitely not centered on that. It was centered more on the love between her and her husband, which seemed to come easily from the flow of the story. This may be a good or bad t ...more
Aleksandra
I love this oneshot (standalone) manga so much! It has very cute art style and great storytelling!
It's an authobiographical manga about Chii meeting her now husband, about her transitioning, her coming out to her parents, her sex reassignmnet surgery, daily life concerns and worries. It was interesting to learn more about LGBTQ+ issues/situations in Japan. The ownvoices accounts are always priceless.

I love the honest and humourous tone of the story. Chii addresses and explains sensitive and some
Rachel
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet, gentle story of about transitioning and all the difficulties faced.
I also loved the fact that it provided helpful resources on the LGBT+ community.
Hebah
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute graphic novelization of the author's transition experience, culminating in her wedding. It's nicely intersectional, illustrating her particular path toward reassignment while explaining throughout the range of experiences other transgender people might go through, all through the lens of Japan's complicated laws regarding legality of transition. (I wasn't aware that same-sex marriage is still illegal there, and it's heartbreaking when Chii highlights the legal barriers in place t ...more
Rod Brown
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Chii gives a shojo manga gloss to her real-life gender transition with chibi-esque art and a fairytale wedding. She touches on some of the more complex issues, especially in a series of educational sidebars, but mostly maintains a lighthearted tone, keeping her love story front and center.
Teresa
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic four-panel manga in a journalistic style of the true story about Chii. The title says all. Chii was born a bot but never felt right being tagged with the male gender. Follow Chii as she discovers who she is on her transgender journey.

I adore the informational pages as well that explain things like LGBT or the diagnosis, hormone therapy, and even the surgery. It's a very informative work written in a way that teens can understand and I find this a great book to have on my classroom sh
Kathryn Kania
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, queer
Cute, educational, not a ton of substance
Jenna
Informative and adorably narrated.
Cameron Sant
Disclaimer: I am writing this with voice to text and I am not editing for proper capitalization, Punctuation, spacing, Etc. Please bear with me! Thank you.

This is a really cute own voices manga memoir about a trans woman. like most transgender memoirs, it spends time discussing first feelings of transness, Hormones and procedures, and relationships. however, because it takes place in Japan where same-sex marriage is illegal most of the country, the main character’s transness and gender status
Kayla
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really adorable and sweet! The Bride Was a Boy is an autobiographical manga by a trans woman, detailing her life before transitioning, questioning her identity, the process of transitioning in Japan, and eventually marrying her husband. Between chapters, there's informational pages about trans identity and LGBT+ terminology.

(I know I was hesitant about the English title at first, but it's how the author wrote it--tweet from the publisher here.)
Amy!
This was sweet, and I kind of wish it had just been the story of Chii's relationship and transition, without the extra sidebars explaining various trans topics, especially because a lot of the information in those sidebars was repetitive.

I also would have been interested to get more information about the surgeries she had, though I understand and respect that maybe she doesn't want to talk about that part of her transition. It just felt like she glossed over that part really quickly.
P.
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, nonfic, manga, lgbtqia
at this point I'm ready for a less basic overview of transitioning in comics or prose. however, I'm sure this friendly memoir/guide is meant for other readers. there's nothing wrong with it, maybe the author and her husband could be fleshed out a little, I guess.
Alie Gauslow
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So WHOLESOME. So GOOD. Brb crying. I love happy endings.
honeybean
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtqia, manga
A very cute story about a bride and her husband <3 I would recommend to anyone who has questions about transitioning, or wants/needs trans knowledge in general. ...more
Ben Truong
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Bride Was a Boy is an autobiographical graphic novel written and illustrated by Chii and translated from the Japanese by Beni Axia Conrad. It centers on Chii from her early life perceived as a boy through her whirlwind gender transition and storybook wedding.

Chii portrays some of her life’s most personal moments, big and small: her frustrations at not seeing a place for herself in Japanese culture, the emotional aftermath of multiple gender-affirmation surgeries, and even the adorably awkwar
Ellie Ramirez
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This manga was the CUTEST book I have read in a long time!

"The Bride was a Boy" which is the translated title, focuses on our main character who (as the title stated) was born a boy but was going through GID (Gender Identity Disorder). She goes through her life feeling different and not liking her outer appearance as it does not match what she feels she truly is. This manga is based on the artist, which is Chii.

She goes through her life in this manga and she adds a lot of informative information
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
I'm dropping this at 50 pages because I'm not interested in reading it right now but this is exactly the kind of manga I have been dreaming my whole life about. I am so happy to see #ownvoices queer (trans in this case) nonfiction in manga this year and I hope this is the beginning of a new era of realistic depictions of people in manga. This is such an important work in which the author explains her experience of learning that she's female, coming out, falling in love, etc. I love and appreciat ...more
Leanna C
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Bride was a Boy is a really charming graphic novel about the author's transition and about the author's relationship leading up to her wedding. There are also a number of insights told outside the narrative as informative snippets that go into LGBT- and trans-related topics and issues, particularly as they exist in Japan. I mostly know about transgender people and the barriers they face in the US, so those asides were really insightful and educational for me. The whole story was very happy a ...more
Donna
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
The author's story of being born a boy, transitioning to a woman, falling in love, and getting married.

I liked the story in this book, but I didn't necessarily like the way it was told. It was a bit disjointed, with not enough guts to the story. The legal/informational asides were interesting, but they broke the narrative up in a very awkward way. Just as I was getting into the author's story of how she met her boyfriend (for instance), we'd jump to the next episode. It's nice to have a manga th
Ryane
This was an amazing read. Absolutely amazing. Completely delightful, enlightening, wonderful. I highly recommend reading this. I recommend this whether you like manga or not. This is by far one of the best autobiographies I have read on being trans-gendered.

The English title is "The Bride Was A Boy". This is the translated tile of the author's choosing. When you read it, it will make complete sense. You can't judge this by title alone, It is so much deeper than that.

Do read this. I really can't
Selena
A sweet autobiographical manga about a woman that used to be a boy who transitioned and got married. It's heartwarming, plain and simple. It's also pretty informative about the state of Japanese laws regarding the LGBT+ community as of 2016.

Mostly, though, it's the real story about a woman's transition and marriage. It's something I would love to see more of in anime and manga in general (trans people not being treated as a "phase" or punchline or as "wrong" for whatever reason).
➷
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, trans, manga, nonfiction
Oh this was so great! Chii writes honestly about her experience being a trans woman and getting married to her cis husband. She was very lucky and did not experience any violence or extremely serious transphobia, so this is actually a book with very few warnings, and you can recommend it to pretty much anyone who wants to learn more about trans people (especially in Japan)! I was impressed by Chii's breadth of knowledge and accuracy, and her art style is adorable. Totally recommend.
Kristin
Pretty dang cute manga memoir of the author's gender transition and marriage in Japan. Chii has an unflappably supportive family and partner, so her story is a definitely an idealized outcome. The occasional sidebar defines terms like GID and Sexual Minorities, as well as going into depth on proper usage, but can also be skipped if you want to read this like a regular narrative.
Dubzor
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super cute and extremely informative. However I do worry about the fact that the author's experience is the best case scenario in terms of her family and husband's reaction to her transition. I feel that it should have been addressed in some way, even if it's just to say "some people aren't as lucky."
vanessa
This was sweet and informative. I learned lots about trans folks in Japan and what it takes to transition physically and then legally on paper. I wish it went a little more in depth; I don't really feel that I got to know either of the two people in the couple. Instead, it stayed light and had lots of definitions and hypothetical situations to teach the reader.
Rekki
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful and informative manga! I love how the author pauses the story to explain various LGBT+ terms. It's simplified and easy to understand, while also being an adorable love story. Bonus points for her adorable art style~
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• しまなみ誰そ彼 3 [Shimanami Tasogare 3]
  • I Married My Best Friend to Shut My Parents Up
  • That Blue Sky Feeling, Vol. 1
  • My Androgynous Boyfriend, Vol. 1
  • サトコとナダ 1 [Satoko to Nada 1] (Satoko & Nada, #1)
  • Our Dining Table
  • Éclair: Anata ni Hibiku Yuri Anthology
  • The Wize Wize Beasts of the Wizarding Wizdoms
  • Beauty and the Beast Girl
  • O Maidens in Your Savage Season 1
  • 10DANCE テンダンス volume1
Chii is a manga artist best known for The Bride Was a Boy.

News & Interviews