Start by marking “The Trail Rules (The Rules, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Trail Rules (The Rules, #2)

The Trail Rules

(The Rules #2)

Junior year’s looking up for sixteen-year old Mike. Her new BFF isn’t a sadistic control freak, her boyfriend adores her, and she’s learning to bike in the mountains without decapitating herself on a tree.

Well, almost.

When she meets a group of riders who welcome her into their pack, she feels like she’s finally found where she belongs. One particular rider—a boy with an a
Published March 9th 2018 by Left-Handed Mitten Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Trail Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trail Rules

D.M.
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mikayla (Mike) has finally got everything she thought she wanted. She has distanced herself from the snow bunnies aka mean girls. She is back with her ex-boyfriend, Evan and she has some new friends.

She has started cycling and is really enjoying the challenge but Evan her BF is a little too protective of her. As the new school year starts she finds everyone's expectations of her are overbearing. Her parents want her to focus on her education. Her boyfriend wants her to be the perfect girlfriend
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being an avid mountain biker myself, I couldn’t wait to dive right into this book. It sounded as though it was going to be a real coming of age, discover yourself sort f read, and it was just that, with a little more. I loved every page, and really feel the author did well to capture a lot of the issues and challenges that people deal with, as they learn and grow, particularly as teens in secondary school, but it really is the same for any age.

Mike is a really wonderful character. She is trying
Patrick Hodges
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to get an advanced copy of this book after thoroughly enjoying The Slope Rules, and this did not disappoint.

We got to know Mike a little in Book One, but now we delve headlong into her life. She's a typical teen in many way - she's antsy and angsty about preparing for college, putting off adulting as long as possible while she explores her new passion, mountain biking. The perfect relationship she thought she had starts to slip away (as these things often do for no obvious reaso
Sascha
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
review upcoming
SD Jericho
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I realise that everyone should be the hero or heroine of their own story but I have discovered that I much prefer Mike as a support or secondary character than as the main character of the book.

Mike, as a character, to me, is… Apathetic. Listless. Has no interests or direction or spine. The first half of the book she feels very much like an amoeba, or a leaf, just floating from situation to situation. Maybe I felt that I liked her as a secondary character more because even in her own life, she’
Beth Rodgers
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
'The Trail Rules' by Melanie Hooyenga does a great job of capturing the personality and drama of main character Mike (full name: Mikayla) and how her friends and family factor into her life in easy and not-so-easy ways. The first sequel to 'The Slope Rules,' to be followed by another sequel later in 2018 titled 'The Edge Rules,' this particular novel follows Mike and her fascination with bike riding on the trails near where she lives.

Even though her love of riding stemmed from her relationship w
Olena
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven’t had a chance to read the first book in the series but I will definitely be picking it up now to catch up on the other characters as I know there is a back story to some of my questions that popped up in this book.

The Trail Rules tells Mike’s (Mikayla) story and allows us to come on a journey showcasing her newfound enjoyment of biking, something she didn’t expect to give her so much freedom from her everyday life. With pressure coming from all sides ( school drama, family life, relatio
Samantha Bilodeau
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
*3.5 Stars

This was a cute YA romance, with a fun cast of characters. Mike, our heroine, is a confused 16-year-old who is trying to figure out exactly what she wants to do with her life. She is dating Evan, essentially her first love, and meets a group of new friends when adopting the hobby of mountain biking. Part of that new group is Mica, a boy who catches her interest. She is also dealing with having moved on from her "mean girl" friend, Brianna.

This is standalone, but I would really recomme
Michelle
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for YA Books Central

A fantastic sequel from Melanie Hooyenga.

The Story:
Juinor year is supposed to be a year of excitement. One last hurrah before life gets too serious. For Mike, it's a year of shrinking under the pressure from her parents about her future and falling out of love with the boy she thought would be hers for a long time.
Adventure comes for her in the form of a new passion- riding- and a new group of friends who push her beyond the limits she thought she had. Not to mentio
Phyllis
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
My review is 3.5 Stars

The Trail Rules is a well-written, compelling, coming-of-age story. The author has a fun way of incorporating the “trail rules” for mountain bikers into the story applied to Mike’s everyday life. The theme of Mike learning not to just be a follower is subtle but woven throughout the story in a number of ways.

As the second book in the series, this book can still stand alone though Mike first appears in the previous book and the way she ended up seeking new friends is explain
Keri Hunter
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hit the trails with exonerated snow bunny Mike. With parents pressuring you to chose your future yesterday as a junior in high school is a lot to take in. It’s hard to map out your future when your so unsure of your now. With new friends she sets her self on a new path. He boyfriend, who she always wanted, gets her into riding where he seems to hold her back and not let her grow. They meet a group of bikers and friendships happen. In those Mike realizes there is so much more she is able to do an ...more
Kelley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I wish was around when I was 17. While I wasn't a "reformed mean girl", I struggled in high school to just feel confident in my own skin. I admit things are so much different today than they were when I was a junior, but common themes are still there: the need to belong....to need to be liked....to be confident....to know that we all make mistakes and they aren't the end of the world.

What I love about this story is that it isn't your typical coming of age story that use the same
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
In Melanie Hooyenga’s The Trail Rules, sixteen-year-old Mike (Mikayla) decides to give mountain biking a try, and in the process, she finds a group of people with whom she feels a strong connection. In this, the second installment of The Rules Series, we see some of the same characters from the first book, but with Mike taking center-stage. Hooyenga continues to deliver an exciting story with page-turning plots and sub-plots and an underlying theme of genuine female characters who are likeably f ...more
Auda
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy YA stories due to the fact that they usually are about first love, first kisses, first most of the things that happen to the girls/boys etc. Most of the time I search for similar books as they are a bit naive, but still very enjoyable ( I suppose a psychiatrist would have an opinion regarding my reading preferences, but I do not care :))
The story is mostly about a girl who finally stands for herself (regarding the best friend and boyfriend, acquaintances and future college decisi
Samantha
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I dived right into this one after finishing The Slope Rules, it could be read as a stand alone but highly reccomend reading The Slope Rules first as it flows on with gruop of friends and the drama.
Another cute mix of personnal growth, over coming fears/hurdles, romance, friendships and an extreme sport (downhill mountain biking). Once again the romance is not the main focus, Mike (Miklayla) is basically learning how to be true to her self and be her own person after finally breaking away from th
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this follow up to The Slope Rules. While I don’t think I connected with Mike as easily as I did with Cally, I still thought she was well developed and had a strong and clear voice, which is very important in a teen romance novel.
The story had great lessons about learning to habe your own voice, although, to be honest, I felt bad for Evan. That being said, feeling sorry for someone is definitely not a good reason to stay in a relationship.
As always, Melanie does a great job wit
Naomi
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it

I was really excited to read this book when I recieved an arc from the author. As I begun reading it, it took a while before I understood what the book was about. For me this was a really slow read. I had a hard time getting into the book.

The book was however written good and reading the other reviews I realise that this book just wasn't for me. I did like the main character and her hobby. I have never read a book where the main character loves mountain biking. Just like most sixteen year olds,
Monica Moeggenberg
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit I don't know much about biking on trails or biking in general. I really enjoyed learning about the trail. Sometimes life is about making the difficult choices that will cause pain to someone close to you, even if that choice is what is in your best interest. The Trail Rules brings out that difficult choice and makes you feel connected to it. I've had to make very similar choices, it was like Melanie took a situation from my life and gave it a voice on paper. Melanie does an excel ...more
Bridgid Gallagher
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Trail Rules is a GREAT follow up to The Slope Rules. Excellent writing and pacing, and fantastic characters. It's a fun read with everything you could want in a YA romance - swoony parts, muddy parts (um, I'm talking about the biking), and complicated emotional stuff, the kind of stuff I LOVE to see covered in YA.

This book was such a page-turner for me, and that's 100% because I was so emotionally invested, right from the start. I love that!

No spoilers, but there's a difficult emotional thin
Tammy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the bike riding in the book. It was something different and I learned a few things. I did not get to read the first book but I wasn't lost at all with this story. Some of the first was explained a bit. The friend group was a mixed bag of boys and girls. That is a plus to me. Evan was not a favorite of mine but I understand the reason why he was controlling. Mica and Mike were great together. I think he has a story to be told. I received an ARC free of charge in exchange for an honest rev ...more
Meredith J Logan
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. Maybe not as good as the first one but still so worth reading.

Full disclaimer: I loved The Slope Rules. Cally was a great, strong character and Blake was swoony. So, me saying I didn't like this one as much doesn't mean it wasn't good. Because it was.
The Trail Rules was very cute, entertaining and Mica was so so sweet. Mike showed a lot of character growth which I love and it was shown over and over that she wanted to be better and she was trying to grow. I'm not sure what exactly made me
Amber Carroll
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Trail Rules by Melanie Hooyenga
This book started off slow and I wasn't too sure about the first 50% of the book but once it got going I loved it. Absolutely hated her with Evan and I wish it told more about her and Bri but the ending was just wonderful! 2 1/2 stars!!!
Jennifer Lancaster
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this and didn't want to put it down. I liked Mike and identified with her struggle to find herself while trying to fit in and her journey to find her inner strength. I also know a lot more about mountain biking and felt I was with her on the trail. I can't wait for the next book.
Michelle
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"The Trail Rules" is a quick, enjoyable read for kids and adults alike filled with lessons about second chances, forging your own path and friendship without being obviously preach-y. The ending came too soon and I'm going to need some closure about Evan and Brianna in the next book!
Alice Bottje
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!
Mary Sherman
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. It perfectly captured all of the "typical" high-school struggles, and I felt like Mike was easy to relate to. Being someone who grew up shy, I found myself remembering situations I was in that were similar to Mike's. And, for not being someone who bikes, I found myself very intrigued and anxious during the riding scenes! Great book, highly recommend for any age!
Emily Kazmierski
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so fun to read. It was a great continuation of the first book, but told from Mike’s perspective.
Theresa
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
I enjoyed this book so much!!! I used to ride my bike all the time on trails and this brought back so many great memories! (also made me realize how much I miss riding with my friends!)
Mike is great!! I loved how she kept challenging herself and even as her confidence grew, she still had a lot of insecurities - that overcoming one thing didn't magically fix everything else. So many stories play into that trope and this one does not.
Watching Mike grow and learn about herself as she entered her j
Lisa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book two in the series! The reader meets Mickayla (Mike) in Melanie's first book, The Slope Rules, but focuses on her story in The Trail Rules.

Mike began High School with the in crowd, she had friends, she knew her place, but some of that changed, when she realized how much Brianna bossed her around. Once Cally came to their school, Mike and Cally became close friends and left Brianna to her own devices (aka mean!). Cally tries out her skills at mountain biking and finds out it's something she r
Emily (alotabooks13)
Mar 31, 2018
Multi-award winning young adult author Melanie Hooyenga first started writing as a teenager and finds she still relates best to that age group. She has lived in Washington DC, Chicago, and Mexico, but has finally settled down in her home state of Michigan.

When not at her day job as the Communications Director at a nonprofit, you can find Melanie attempting to wrangle her Miniature Schnauzer Owen

The Rules (3 books)
  • The Slope Rules
  • The Edge Rules (The Rules, #3)