Start by marking “Small Spaces” as Want to Read:
Small Spaces

Small Spaces

(Small Spaces #1)

When eleven-year-old Ollie lost her mother in a plane crash, she sought solace in her books. So when she stumbles upon a distraught woman standing on the banks of the river intent on throwing a book into the water, Ollie stops her, steals the book and rides away on her bike. Upon reading, Ollie discovers a chilling ghost story about a girl, Elizabeth Morrison, who is being ...more
Published September 25th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Small Spaces, please sign up.
Katherine Arden
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leanne I just noticed you can preorder now. It says it'll come out on Sept. 25, 2018.

Hannah
Apr 10, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I would read Katherine Arden's shopping list if she published it.
Melanie

ARC given to me by a confirmed angel, Lilly at Lair of Books, which I will cherish and love forever!

“You might get to know characters in books, Ollie thought, but getting to know a human was an entirely different thing.”

Small Spaces is Katherine Arden’s debut middle grade novel and I loved it so very much friends. Many of you know that The Bear and the Nightingale is one of my favorite books of all-time, and even though these stories are nothing like one another, the beautiful writing, amazi
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
What fun!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Unfortunately this one didn’t really do much for me :( it was fine, but it definitely didn’t live up to the hopes I had for it. Womp.
شيماء ✨
so this is a ghost story about someone who pretty much got fucked over because they saved a book from being thrown into the water. can you imagine being a stack of dead tree and having this much power??
Betsy
In fourth grade I sold my soul to the Scholastic Book Club’s Apple paperbacks. There was only one thing in the entire world I ever wanted to read, at that point. Only one thing that could make my little heart go pitter-pat, and that was the comforting presence of ghost stories. This was long before Bob Stine decided to slap an “R.L.” in front of his last name and stake a claim in the world of G-rated horror fare. But it was also long after John Bellairs made it his business to truck in the middl ...more
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
"Avoid large places. Keep to small."

Why haven't I read anything sooner by this incredible author? This book was perfection.  It was heartfelt, had great characters and most importantly - was actually spooky! It's the perfect Halloween read, or if you are like me, it's a perfect all-year round read.

Middle-grade horror is probably my favorite for this category.  As much as I love fantasy, I tend to seek out the horror even more in middle-grade.  It's so much stronger than it is in YA currentl
Eryn
Actual: 3.5 / 5

This was my first Katherine Arden novel, and it did not disappoint! I love how unique this was and how much I related to Ollie and her love of reading (amongst other things). Reading this made me feel all nostalgic for whatever reason, too — which was great.

For such a short novel, so many things happened. But that’s to be expected from a Children’s book, since it allows their imagination to take over. That being said, it leaves a lot to be desired for someone like me who loves lo
Joey Rambles
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Shelves: favorites-2018
About three things I was absolutely positive:

First, this is one of the scariest MG novels I've ever read.

Second, there is a possibility that this book might not get the same attention as something like City of Ghosts, which is a shame, because while I liked that novel, this one is an absolute gem and deserves to be treated as such.

And third, this is one of the scariest MG novels I've ever read.

I was right. Katherine Arden can do no wrong. I sincerely hope she continues writing for a very long ti
Peter Monn
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than I thought it would be. Really enjoyed this. It felt like a more developed Goosebumps book with more character development. My full review will be on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
kath | novelandfolk
It is a confirmed fact that I will read anything Katherine Arden writes.
To be honest, I haven’t read a middle grade horror since I was squished into a school bus seat with a tattered copy of Goosebumps in my backpack. It isn’t a genre I had considered revisiting, not for any particular reason other than moving on to other things. However, when I found out that the author of my favourite trilogy was debuting a middle grade novel, of course I had to give it a try.

In Small Spaces, Arden really show
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

A creepy little book with a strange story. I liked it just fine, but it didn't suck me in at all and I found myself skimming at the end. I thought I would find it scary, but after binging the haunting of hill house all weekend I think the scare-o-meter had zero effect on me.

I am definitely interested in trying Arden's adult novels, maybe I will connect with those more.

Follow me on ♥ FacebookBlogInstagramTwitter
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

description

"When the mist rises, and the smiling man comes walking, you must avoid large places at night. Keep to small."

Pros:

❇As I've said already- this definitely reminded me of Goosebumps, or Are You Afraid Of The Dark? If you've never read a Goosebumps book, or watched either of these t.v. shows you probably won't know what I'm talking about, but I felt myself being brought back to a simpler time when the only "horror" I knew was the family friendly kind! I was completely invested in this
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
So I wanted something to read for Halloween that wasn't blooding or worst and found this had just come out and it looked fun, I went in thinking it would be like The Halloween tree, but found it was pretty creepy mostly because I can't stand scarecrows. But I could see anyone of any age enjoy this like I did if you want something a little spooky to read with no blood or guts.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I am gonna finish this SO soon. So... so soon. Just... not right now.
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness

Great Halloween read but I didn't find it spooky enough. I know it's intended for a younger audience but kid Tinja would have agreed with me ;)
Rylee (Hermit Odysseus)
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
If you like added gifs, you can also check out my review here! =)

This is a quick read, and perfect for Halloween because it’s goosebump-inducingly spooky (and incidentally reminds me a lot of Goosebumps). I don’t do well with scary, and I seriously can’t emphasize that enough. This one isn’t even scary but it’s shiver-me-creepy and man alive did I have to hold my breath to make it through (yes, I'm that much of a wimp).

Let’s begin

A list of the creepy elements

- scarecrows
- smiling (yes, this bo
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Initial Thoughts
I enjoyed this book as an adult and I think that I would have loved it when I was younger. I have to admit that I decided to read this book simply because I love the author and was curious about her writing for a younger audience. This book did a fantastic job of creating wonderful characters and a rather creepy story. I am glad that I decided to give it a try.

Book source: Library

Full review to be posted soon.
Tucker (TuckerTheReader)
Mar 16, 2019 marked it as review-copies-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical

Many thanks to the publisher for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest |
andrea caro
Why, yes, spooky middle-grade is my bread and butter. Added this to the favorites shelf.
rachel
I don’t think I have ever been recommended an adult fantasy as much as Arden’s The Bear and the Nightingale but in typical Rachel fashion, I jumped on her newest book instead.

Small Spaces reminded me why I adore middle grade to this day. It had everything I loved to see: a heartfelt friendship, palpable atmosphere, a twisty, turny plotline, and characters who I came to adore with every fibre of my being.

🎃 Ollie, our protagonist, is such a Gryffindor. She is slowly working through her grief and d
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
Katherine Arden is truly my new queen.

Despite reading this on Christmas Eve, this spooky novel is so incredibly atmospheric (which has always been a strength of Arden’s) and it was so easy to slip into the setting of autumnal Vermont, complete with trees thick with burning foliage and farms with golden corn and hay bales.

An incredibly quick MG read, I also found it suitably spooky and it gave me Stranger Things vibes with the characters & the idea of there being some kind of shadowy mirror
Hollis
For those of us who grew up in the nineties (#datingmyself), SMALL SPACES is going to feel totally nostalgic for the days when you begged your parents to buy you the newest Goosebumps or Fear Street release, whatever RL Stine was putting out on any given day. This has that small town creepy factor, with intrepid children, and clues to follow with a mystery to solve, in order to save the day. The fact that I picked this up on the official first day of fall, and got to cuddle under a blanket as I ...more
Katerina Kondrenko
7.5 out of 10

Very nice middle-grade story! I loved the writing (Arden knows how to make the words flow), creepy atmosphere, and the pacing. Oh, and the friendship too! Bromance development between the main characters was really great!
✩ Ashley ✩
5 Stars

Small Spaces was scary AF! Wow, I underestimated the amount of creepiness when going in because it’s a middle grade. I WAS SO WRONG!!! I’m still getting waves of goosebumps, and scarecrows are now on ‘The List’ with clowns... 🙈🙈🙈

Audiobook Performance: ★★★

BlogTwitterInstagram
Stephanie Gillespie
"Wherever you go in this big, gorgeous, hideous world, there is a ghost story waiting for you.”

Small spaces is Katherine Arden’s first middle grade book, and the first book I’ve read by this author. I am in love with her writing, it's so good! I cannot wait to read Bear and the Nightingale this winter.

This story follows Ollie, a 12 year old girl in the sixth grade living in Vermont. She is dealing with the death of her mom, she is isolated from the other kids in her class. On her way home from
Books on Stereo
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small Space is a spooky, Halloween read that is ensure to delight as well as haunt.
Amy Risner
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books
I truly appreciate Katherine Arden so much as a writer. She paints such perfect pictures and makes you feel like you’re right there. I was first introduced to her writing when I read The Bear and the Nightingale, and while these two stories are geared toward different age groups, Arden once again brought us all the the spooky, dark vibes.

Small Spaces follows Ollie, a sixth-grader from Vermont who is recovering from the death of her mom. She’s depressed and tends to isolate herself from friends a
Claudia ✨
It's official. Katherine Arden is the queen of writing atmospheric books.

Small Spaces is so very different from her beautiful debut, The Bear and The Nightingale, without losing her enchanting writing or taking away from this being a middlegrade novel. I had a friend who said that this reminded her of Goosebumps, and I could not agree more.

So what is it about?

Eleven-year-old Ollie is trying to get her life together after losing someone very close to her, and doesn't feel much joy except for w
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
When the mist rises, and the smiling man comes walking,
you must avoid large places at night.
Keep to small.

Ollie leaves school one day, heading to the creek, when she sees a strange woman crying and preparing to throw a book in the water. As a voracious reader she naturally rescues the book and takes it home with her. The book is Small Spaces, as she reads she finds that it is a late 1800's account of a farm family, the tragedy and odd mysteries that surround them. She's now hopelessly connected
  • Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster
  • The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1)
  • The House in Poplar Wood
  • The Peddler's Road (The Secrets of the Pied Piper, #1)
  • Elizabeth and Zenobia
  • Marcy and the Riddle of the Sphinx
  • Paths & Portals (Secret Coders, #2)
  • Odessa Again
  • Click
  • Sparks!
  • Caveboy Dave: More Scrawny Than Brawny
  • Alabaster Shadows (Alabaster Shadows, #1)
  • The Creepy Case Files of Margo Maloo
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Secret of Danger Point (Surfside Girls #1)
  • Le jardin de minuit
  • Where the Woods End
  • The Garden of My Imaan
A note to everyone who trips and falls upon my Goodreads page. First, welcome. Let us read and discuss all the books together. Second, Goodreads is wondrous, but contacting me through my Goodreads DMs is a good way to ensure a long wait for a reply. Your best bet is Twitter or Instagram (arden_katherine) on both.

Happy reading.

Born in Texas, Katherine studied French and Russian at Middlebury Coll

Small Spaces (2 books)
  • Dead Voices (Small Spaces #2)
“Best get moving. At nightfall they’ll come for the rest of you.” 0 likes