Start by marking “Beyond II: The Queer Post-Apocalyptic & Urban Fantasy Comic Anthology (Beyond: The Queer Comic Anthology, #2)” as Want to Read:

Beyond II: The Queer Post-Apocalyptic & Urban Fantasy Comic Anthology

(Beyond: Queer Anthology Series)

Renegade city fae, post-apocalyptic bicycle gangs, enormous robot guardians, and mysterious sewer-dwelling cryptids - all of this and much, much more in the second volume of BEYOND, the queer urban fantasy and post-apocalyptic comic anthology.

Featuring 25 stories by 36 contributors, the BEYOND ANTHOLOGY returns to continue celebrating unquestionably queer characters from
Published January 2018 by Beyond Press

Start your review of Beyond II: The Queer Post-Apocalyptic & Urban Fantasy Comic Anthology (Beyond: The Queer Comic Anthology, #2)
Khai
I am so in love with everything about this book! Each and every story, the forewords, the incredible illustrations…everything! The stories have so much depth to them, even though they're brief. They're beautiful and have so much heart. I fell in love with the characters and their stories, most of which ultimately establish that even when the world is going to hell around you, or is just massively changing, what carries you through is the love in one's relationships and chosen/found family.

All
Stewart Tame
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Well if you enjoyed the first Beyond anthology, you will very likely enjoy this sequel. The focus of the first book was Queer Fantasy and Science Fiction. For this one, we’ve the slightly narrower Queer Post-Apocalyptic and Urban Fantasy. Continuing this trend, a third anthology would probably be the very specific Queer Mad Max and Harry Potter …

All kidding aside, Monster and Stotts have put together an impressive collection of stories. Some random thoughts:

“How Not to Magic” by Katie
Lynn DiFerdinando
Again, also Kickstarted this one but hadn't read it until now. Even better than the first one! So many cute stories and good ideas, and absolutely wonderful art. The July Fashion Issue was super cute. Quarantine and Sleeping Giant had nice worldbuilding. My favorite part of these stories is that often the worldbuilding is secondary -it's about the love, and the normal life people lead, even with magic and/or post-apocalyptic conditions.

ETA: On second thought, I realized what I liked the most:
Alexis Sara
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
Beyond 2 is why comics are made. A showing of diverse talent creating inclusive worlds that exist beyond the end of the world. Worlds that are fantastic and queer, special, lovely and creative. Beyond 2 shows that post apocalyptic and urban fantasy settings can be so much more then the cut and past heteronormative stories we get. These stories have powerful romance, lovely unique versions of how the world could be, amazing art styles, 347 pages of greatness all in one place. I imagine I will ...more
Jenna
I’m still not that fond of short stories, but this anthology had a wonderfully diverse blend of stories, settings, and characters. Some allowed for glimpses into mystical or dystopian worlds, with just enough world-building to pique my interest without being confusing. Others focused on the relationship between individuals, with sparks of magic to make things interesting.

Definitely found artists I want to investigate further and glad to have seen and supported this anthology. Now for these
Lou
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This volume felt like it had more diversity in stories and characters than the first, and I enjoyed it much more. There's a bit of hope in almost every story
Marie Blanchet
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Beyond Anthology did it again! After the success of volume 1, which was a wonderful collection of short science-fiction and fantasy comics, Sfé R. Monster and Taneka Stotts have now released a new anthology that is just as fantastic as the first one. This time, the themes chosen were urban fantasy and post-apocalyptic stories! But have no fear, there is no grimdark to be found in these stories.

The point of the beyond anthology, as with many of these amazing queer kickstarted anthologies, is
Amy Mills
Overall, this is quite a good collection. There are three that I'm not especially fond of, several that I'd like better if I'd been able to make more sense of, and a lot of just really good ones. Story by story below. Note: the tags are for the volume as a whole; it seems like too much work to tag each story separately.

Reclamation: Very short poem with a lovely illustration.
How Not to Magic: Cute story. Artwork is a bit too cutesy in a few places, but mostly quite good.
Pilot Light: Enjoyable
Rae
If it’s possible, I loved this book even more than the first Beyond anthology. The stories and art span a vast array of moods and settings: from carefree adventure to matters of life or death; from subtle, almost wordless sequences of characters wandering through a changed natural world, to bustling urban tales filled with energy and visual jokes. Although I pre-ordered the book during its kickstarter, I only got around to reading it now, in a Pride month that’s been a bit more difficult than ...more
Julia
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
En comparación a la primera antología, creo que Beyond II presenta una mayor diversidad de personajes e historias, y agradezco que demuestre que uno puede escribir todo tipo de historias (cómicas, de horror, misterio, heroismo, etc.) sin tener que recurrir al viejo cliché de "bury your gays".

Mis historia favorita de esta colección es "Fairy Food!!" , escrita e ilustrada por Sam Garvey. Un comic muy dulce, ilustrado con un estilo hermoso y que se corresponde perfectamente con el tema presentado.
Zoe  Ysabella
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, favorites
This is !! The most important thing. The creation of community after tragedies is very queer, and every single comic in this book was so well done. There are so many dark and gritty post-apocalyptic/urban fantasy stories and this subverted everything in the best way. "Dear Wife" by Reed Black, about a woman who goes to do some shopping for her wife and gets held up by a fairytale-esque creature who forced her to complete three tasks, and "Daisycakes" by J. Doyle and U. Wood, where three ...more
Rivqa
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with most anthologies, I didn't love every story, but this book contains some beautiful art and delightful stories. These short comics err on the lighter side of their chosen genres, with adorable urban fantasy and hopeful post-apocalyptic tales. A worthy successor to the first volume.
P.
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars because of the wealth of queer talent and the unusually high hit rate for the stories - more than most anthologies I read.
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: badass-ladies, queer
A uniquely hopeful take on the post-apocalyptic genre, Beyond II collects some masterful tales into a cohesive showcase of queer storytelling.
Esther Lee
Fave was Reed Black’s Dear Wife. I also really liked the artwork by Mar Julia, Nichole and Kelly Matthews, Sam Garvey, and Keezy Young.
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
The stories were a little short. 5 stars for all the creative post-apoc worlds. There are maybe 6 stories that really captured my fancy, but I wanted more!
Amanda
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm really glad that I pressed on and read Beyond II even after Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology was a bit of a letdown. It's nice to see creators listen to feedback and improve their future works accordingly, which I think this anthology did quite successfully. One of my major complaints about the previous book was the number of stories utilising the "bury your gays" trope. Unless I've forgotten one (having read this book in fits and starts over about a month), Beyond II ...more
Lindsey B
Tove
Feb 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Are You Listening?
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • On a Sunbeam
  • Immortal Souls (Power & Magic: Queer Witch Comic Anthology, #2)
  • Fire
  • Moonstruck, Vol. 1: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1)
  • BTTM FDRS
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Feeble Wanderings (Wet Moon #1)
  • Kim & Kim Vol. 1 (Kim & Kim #1-4)
  • 坊主と蜘蛛 [Bouzu to Kumo]
  • Tim'rous Beastie
  • Dates! Volume 2 (Dates! An Anthology of Queer Historical Fiction Stories, #2)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • Heartwood: Non-binary Tales of Sylvan Fantasy
  • America, Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez
  • ダンジョン飯 1 [Dungeon Meshi 1] (Delicious in Dungeon, #1)
  • Bury the Lede

Beyond: Queer Anthology Series (2 books)
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology