Start by marking “Max and the Multiverse (Max and the Multiverse #1)” as Want to Read:
Max and the Multiverse (Max and the Multiverse #1)

Max and the Multiverse

(Max and the Multiverse #1)

Alternate Cover Edition for ISBN 9780998204925

* Gold Medal Winner - Global Ebook Awards
* Finalist - National Indie Excellence Awards
* Finalist - Next Generation Indie Book Awards
* Finalist - Dante Rossetti Book Awards
* Finalist - Best Book Awards
* Finalist - NMAZ Book Awards

It's spring break and Max is stuck at home all by himself. Just the way he likes it. He games online
Paperback
Published January 27th 2017 by Mayhematic Press

To ask other readers questions about Max and the Multiverse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max and the Multiverse

Start your review of Max and the Multiverse (Max and the Multiverse #1)
Eric Craig
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I approached this book with more than a healthy dose of skepticism, because I know that writing science fiction humor is a tough trick to pull off. So few have done it well without going into the realm of the absurd, but honestly this is one of the finest pieces of SF satire I have ever read. Anywhere. Bar none.
Zachry Wheeler dedicates Max and the Multiverse to Douglas Adams, and although I understand where Adams might have been an inspiration, I think this story far exceeds HHG. It is undeniabl
PeryleneTook
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best thing I can say about this book is the following: Until reading this book, I have *never* laughed out loud while reading. Not even while reading Douglas Adams (who I think is one of the funniest authors I've ever read). I took a copy of this book on a cross-country plane trip, and annoyed the crap out of the person sitting next to me by giggling, snorting, and laughing out loud for the entire flight. I should have given the poor person my copy of the book as an apology at the end of the ...more
S. Thomas
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Max is looking forward to enjoying his spring break in a basement, alone save for his orange cat, playing videogames. Instead, thanks to some fluke with quantum physics, he’s risking life and limb on a space freighter an orange lesbian couple. While in space, his cat can talk, but does so mainly to call Max’s Garfield jokes racist. Does Max have what it takes to save the multiverse? Find out for yourself.

I was impressed by Wheeler’s Transient. I was blown away by the fact that the guy who wrote
Ducky
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Max and the Multiverse was a great read. Life kept getting in the way and even though I started it while in the ER waiting on a decision to take out my gall bladder back in October, I only just managed to completely finish it.

Ross is a character who could only really be portrayed properly by a cat owner. He really captured the feline house cat essence. I'm glad that Zachry wrote him with a British accent as I truly hated the voice they chose for Garfield in the movies. I can just hear Ross excl
Daniel Deitch
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolute Mayhem

I read this book because I was looking for something a little out of the ordinary and it was just what the doctor ordered. The plot was lots of fun and had just the right mixture of lunacy and craziness to make a brilliant fantasy space novel. I think that if I ever meet the author I’ll buy him a drink and try to find out where he bought his imagination.
Zachry Wheeler
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Max and the Multiverse is a sci-fi comedy series about a bumbling nerd who shifts between parallel universes whenever he falls asleep.

The idea came to me while watching other multiverse series like Stargate and Doctor Who. I noticed that every story about parallel universes involves some sort of mission, i.e. a reason to interact with them. So I thought, what if there wasn't one? What if some hapless fool was thrust into the situation against their will? And thus was born the series.

The main cha
Victor Acquista
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A delightful tour de farce! Brilliantly absurd and absurdly brilliant. Another fine work from this talented author. The mind of Zachry Wheeler has clearly been vectored in from some distant part of the multiverse where comic genius runs rompingly rampant in frivolous frivolity. However, notwithstanding the fine humor, thoughtful social commentary gets the reader to think. Highly recommended! In the hallowed words of Douglas Adams from the Hitchhiker's Guide Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, "Share ...more
Malaya Ramos
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Max and the Mukitverse is a humerous adventure from the third ominous POV. I found myself laughing in public, on the edge of my seat, and gaping from unexpected twist. All around the writings great, pacing's good, plot and overall story line is amazing.
Lindy Hoppr
Zany and fun

I love the multiverse, and I love that Max is coming into his own and having an adventure. So well written and the jokes are wry and hilarious.
Larry
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silly ridiculous, juvenile humor combined with really improbable space travel sci-fi.

And more fun than a barrel of cats.
Geoff Habiger
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Meet Max. Max is your typical teen from Albuquerque. It's Spring Break and Max's parents have left for Hawaii, leaving Max at home for the entire week. Max is in heaven since he can now play countless hours of video games. That would have been it, except that Max wakes up one morning with his cat, named Ross, talking to him with a British accent. What the... As it so happened Max's marathon gaming session caused him to crash into his keyboard where it just happened to strike the right sequence o ...more
S.K. Wee
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With his parents leaving for vacation, Max is excited to have the entire house to himself, well he still has to put up with the family cat, Ross, but still, he can play his video games without interruption. The very first morning, Max wakes up after having fallen asleep on his keyboard while gaming. What has changed is the darn cat. Ross is speaking to him in a British accent, no less and making all sorts of demands for food and litter box cleaning. Then, Max gets another surprise when the neigh ...more
Eric
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your average teen gamer coming of age story.

Reminiscent of stories like The Last Starfighter this story starts with Max, a bored teen that lives most of his life around his computer gaming. And unlike typical loner gamers, Max both has a girlfriend (from the opposite side of the social spectrum) and a reasonable grasp of social interactions.

But then the universe (multiverse?) throws him a curve, and like a cross between Sam Becket in Quantum Leap and the gang in Sliders Max finds himself inh
Bonnie Dale Keck
kindle unlimited, also has book 2 out Max and the SnoodleCock, Interesting enough that if had the time, maybe will later, to check out the next.

Max is a teenage gamer with an exceptionally dull life. That is, until a bizarre accident leaves him with the ability to shift between parallel universes, but only when he falls asleep. Every time he wakes, he confronts a distressing new reality, be it talking cats or '80s pop culture.

But then one day he awakes to a hyper-advanced version of Earth where
Daphne Thompson
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story starts out with a young gamer all but hiding from the real world and ends up on the other side of the Universe. An edge of your seat adventure that provides from small chuckles all the way to deep belly laughs, as well as some heartfelt moments of friendship and joy. Fun for gamers and adventure seekers alike!!
David Dickason
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. The variety of scenarios that Max experiences on his way to understanding what is happening were the hors d'oeuvres leading to a well-paced and thoroughly digestible main course. I recommend reading this book.
Autumn
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful fun!

I very much enjoyed this story. It is unique and funny and sweet. I felt that the characters were well developed and felt real. I look forward to reading the rest of the series. 😄
Jerry King
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit of this, a bit of that but all good!!

Reminiscent of both Douglas Adams and Monty Python. Keeps a breakneck speed while dropping in unexpected bits of humor that made me have to re-read what just jumped out at me. Highly recommended if you like humor in your sci-fi
Sean Randall
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I read this and saw echoes of Douglas Adams, of David Liss, of Matthew Kadish. Delightfully fun, if not to be taken too seriously.
Joyce Hertzoff
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A romp of a space adventure with hints of Douglas Adams. Great characters.
Matthew
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019
Loved this book. It may not be the next, great American novel, but it's a really fun read.
Angela Ferguson
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

What a cute book. I did enjoy this short read. Made you think about, "be careful what you wish for" .
Bruce A.
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Fast moving and hilarious, this space caper rocks with sympathetic, well developed characters and plenty of snarky wit. Highly recommended!
Lori Puma
Kerry Sharp
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bit of fun

It took a fair while to get to the action but it was worth the wait.
This is light hearted sci-fi so if you are a die hard fan and want logic and consistency you will be disappointed.
The characters never quite gain contour they are more archetypes than real but despite my faint praise I enjoyed it. I may even buy another.
Leila  Pitchford
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What if you have the chance to leave earth

Max keeps having weird dreams. But one dream becomes reality and he and his cat Ross have a chance to leave Earth. Mayhem ensues but ultimately Max realizes his is living his life. Great fun. Just the proper amount of references to other works, such as The Star Wars cantina.
Rebecca Longster
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and light-hearted read that rates the comparison to Douglas Adams

We (husband and wife) especially liked the mash up of multi-verse sci-fi with hitchhikers-guide-esque fantasy sequences. Loved Halim and especially posh Ross in all his Brit accented incarnations.💫💫💫💫
Lynne
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a funny tongue-in-cheek sci-fi adventure. I look forward to reading more of his adventures.
Hamish Downie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, not perfect, but tons of fun.
Tanya Hough
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! This was fun and strange and captivating! I will definitely read the rest of the series!

• Graveyard Shift (Lana Harvey, Reapers Inc., #1)
  • A Grave Misunderstanding (Simon Grave, #1)
  • The Last Alchemist
  • The Legacy Human (Singularity, #1)
  • The Magic Factory (Oliver Blue and the School for Seers, #1)
  • My Alien (The Alien Chronicles Book 1)
  • Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt
  • Fate of Dragons (Dragons Rising, #1)
  • Doing Time (The Time Police #1)
  • Young Bucks: Killing the Business from Backyards to the Big Leagues
  • The Sigil Masters
  • The Menagerie (Menagerie, #1)
  • Peace Force (Harriet Walsh, #1)
  • Uncle and Ants (Silicon Valley Mystery #1)
  • Under the Tulip Tree
  • Mindtouch (The Dreamhealers, #1)
  • The Lonely Heart Attack Club (The Lonely Heart Attack Club #1)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)
Zachry Wheeler is an award-winning science fiction novelist, screenwriter, and coffee slayer. He enjoys English football, stand-up comedy, and is known to lurk around museums and brewpubs.

Learn more at ZachryWheeler.com and claim your FREE eBook!

Max and the Multiverse (3 books)
  • Max and the Snoodlecock (Max and the Multiverse #2)
  • Max and the Banjo Ferret (Max and the Multiverse #3)