Start by marking “Ghosts of the Sea Moon” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of the Sea Moon

Ghosts of the Sea Moon

(Saga of the Outer Islands #1)

He’s the God of Souls. She’s the Goddess of the Moon. In a battle between supernatural siblings, can he save the world… or will they all be doomed?

Sailing the treacherous seas, the crew of the Celestial Jewel rescue drowned souls from ravenous sea monsters and ferry them to the After World. Their captain, Rafe Morrow, has dedicated his life to protecting the lost and defen
ebook
Published January 13th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of the Sea Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of the Sea Moon

Start your review of Ghosts of the Sea Moon
Claire
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-writer
Recap: Captain Rafe Morrow, of the Celestial Jewel ferries souls to the afterlife but his sister, the Goddess of the Moon, is being on his destruction.

Review: Some great world building here and I loved all the nautical references. Rafe is a complex and likeable character and there are some unique extras in his crew. Then madness of the Moon Goddess was well written and Hugh's role in the god's argument was amusing. Occasionally the dialogue became stilted and wooden which jerked me out of my rea
Bookish
A really good read.

A magical, mystical and occasionally macabre tale of adventure on the high seas — with a difference. It’s a story as full of tragedy as of danger, challenging the reader to think about grief, anger and vengeance and the devastating consequences they can have for individuals and families.

It’s a story with more than one hero: the bravery and integrity of Captain Morrow, the loyalty of Blackthorn, and the sensibility of Hugh each play a role in navigating a way through the storm
F.D. Gross
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A god and goddess. A brother and sister. Locked in an eternal battle of hatred. The sea churns. Monsters scream. The living and the dead fear for their existence.

Such is to be expected in A. F. Stewart’s, Ghosts of the Seamoon, book one of the Saga of the outer Islands. Nothing short of high sea adventure, intense battles and burning magic. The back of the book sums it up nicely.

What you fill find in this read of nautical fantasy is a heart felt story about a seafaring captain who happens to b
Lorinda Taylor
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fantasy is laid in a world of islands and sea voyages, imbued with and ruled by magic. However, it’s not a fairy tale world – it’s rather a world of mythology, where gods and men interact. I was reminded of the Greek pantheon, gods and goddesses that are all too human, with the human flaws and virtues that help us relate to them. Rafe Morrow is Captain of a magical ship called the Celestial Jewel, but he is also the powerful God of Souls; his ship protects and rescues departed souls, helpin ...more
Robert
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Ghosts of the Sea Moon," by A. F. Stewart is a fine seafaring fantasy, well written, with believable characters, that moves along at a good pace from action to action, weaving in background to explain and support characters motives, actions, and attitudes to give the reader an eventual understanding of why things are as they are. However, we are fed this information at a rate to keep us interested while beckoning us on with mystery. I began to become suspicious that all was not as it seemed to ...more
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I received this book for free. I am voluntarily posting this review and all opinions expressed herein are my own.

This is the first book in the Saga of the Outer Islands series. It is a standalone book. However, there is a setup for the next book in the series at the end - so while not really a cliffhanger ending, it does prepare you for the next adventure for Rafe.

This is really well-written with captivating descriptions, wonderful characters - a feud between a God and a Goddess who are brother
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
Review: GHOSTS OF THE SEA MOON by A. F. Stewart
(Saga of the Outer Islands #1)

Reading GHOSTS OF THE SEA MOON is, truly, a magical experience, not just because the story line contains magic, goddesses, and gods. The story is wonderfully written and wondrous; the author has such a flair for imagery that is poetic and awe-inspiring. Many times I stopped to marvel and to highlight a particularly awesome phrase. I'm eager to continue the series. Generally, Fantasy is not my forte, but if I could be gu
Clairisa
Oct 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gods, Monsters & Ghosts!

I was looking to read something different and scary. And I remembered that I had this book on my tbr list for awhile. And I actually enjoyed it. I love the creativity that the Author has made toward the Gods very different and interesting. I love the detail in the battles between the Moon Goddess Manume & Captain Morrow. Their feud kinda ended to quick for me. Manume had so much hatred that I didn't thought she would forgive him so quickly. But I really enjoyed and look f
Lynda
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ultimate story of a dysfunctional family, brother and sister at war. Family is never easy, add in being gods, the battle becomes epic. On the high seas they battle for the souls of humans. Magic, swords and monsters fill this action filled story along with some suspense that will keep you listen far longer than you intended. I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request, and have voluntarily left this review.
Stephanie
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rafe the soul god helps those dead to crossover or stay on his ship with his crew. His sister the moon goddess is crazy and mad at Rafe because he did not help her human love to stay with her. This book is about the interaction between the souls and the monsters that the moon goddess uses to punish her brother. It too a little time to get the gist of this story, but in the end is was a nice book. I was given a free copy of this audio book at my request and this is my honest review.
Agnes Parlocha
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me by Story Origins. I am leaving this review freely. This book is a good story and a fun trip through myths and legends that you grew up with. This story is true to siblings and their relationships. This story does have moments of slowness and lagging. But give it the time and hopefully like me you will enjoy it.
Suzanne Perry
I had a really hard time getting into the story for this book. I actually listened to it multiple times hoping it would click together, but it never did. I didn’t dislike the story, but it isn’t one that kept my interest. I will say that I enjoyed the ending. The narrator did an good job, but I do wonder if it had been a different voice if maybe my interest would have been different, who knows...
Angel Ballard
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Adventure Full Of Intrigue! I absolutely love books that are so well written you can experience it in the words! What an amazing sea adventure! Full of all the best of monsters, gods, goddesses, betrayal, good against evil...the lot! I could not put it down! One of the best books I've read lately, by far! Well done A. F. Stewart!
Deedra
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!What an adventure!The Jewel picks up sould of sailors,when it can,before sea monsters eat them.A squabble between siblings leads to a war on land and sea.I enjoyed this one a lot!Alyson Grauer was a wonderful narrator.Her voices were perfect. I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.' ...more
Shauna
Aug 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I really enjoyed the narration. The different voices and accents were excellent. The overall story was good. I feel it was lacking something but not quite sure what. I liked the characters and their at sea adventures. I received a free copy for review.
Katie Thompson
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant piece of brand new mythology. Gods and monsters are exquisitely created for this magnificent world that she’s created. Thrilling and captivating, this is a book that’s easy to get lost in and hard to put down.
Anna Maria
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Atmospheric, mysterious, magical.

What a beautiful story Ghosts of the Sea Moon was. The plot was simple and straightforward but the world was rich and immersive. I loved the ship as the main setting, it gave a great atmosphere to the whole book. I can't say that the plot was the most original one I ever read but the book is still a very enjoyable read.
Sam
Matt
Nov 29, 2018
Adriane
Dec 09, 2018

• Dungeons of Destiny (Kremlins, #3)
  • The Blackbird and the Ghost (The Boiling Seas, #1)
  • The God King's Legacy (God King Chronicles, #1)
  • Astray (Ariboslia #1)
  • Xares: Final Countdown (Alien Alliance #3)
  • Long Paradise
  • Haunting Hooligans (Chantilly Adair Psychic Medium #3.5)
  • Earthbound (Chronicles of the Maca, #1)
  • Fur & Feathers (Angels of Sojourn, #2)
  • The 12 Cozy Mystery Carols of Christmas
  • Built for a Billionaire (Dream Droids #0.5)
  • High Fae Academy - Year One (High Fae Academy, #1)
  • Snow Toys for You (Alaska #13)
  • Panic in the Treats (Sweetfern Harbor #16)
  • Sticky Fingers
  • The Devil Inside (Hell's Gate #2)
  • BULB
  • From Ashes to Magic (A Supernatural Beings Anthology, #1)
I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada, and I write speculative fiction (fantasy, sci-fi, horror), as well as poetry. I have been plying the trade for several years, periodically interrupted by those pesky events from life.
I have published independently and authored such books as the Saga of the Outer Islands series, the Killers and Demons series, Fairy Tale Fusion, and Ruined City. I've also had stories pu

Saga of the Outer Islands (4 books)
  • Sea Bound: A Saga of the Outer Islands Story
  • Souls of the Dark Sea (Saga of the Outer Islands Book 2)
  • Renegades of the Lost Sea (Saga of the Outer Islands Book 3)