Start by marking “Final Resting Place (A Lincoln and Speed Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Final Resting Place (A Lincoln and Speed Mystery #3)

Final Resting Place

(A Lincoln and Speed Mystery #3)

Twenty-nine-year-old Abraham Lincoln has spent his entire adult life running from his past―from the poverty of the dirt-floor log cabin where he was raised, from the dominion of his uneducated father, and from a failed early courtship. But now, Lincoln’s past is racing back to haunt him.

It is the summer of 1838, and Springfield is embroiled in a tumultuous, vio
Published July 10th 2018 by Crooked Lane Books

To ask other readers questions about Final Resting Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Resting Place

Start your review of Final Resting Place (A Lincoln and Speed Mystery #3)
James
Earlier this year, the Crooked Lane publishing company suggested several books that I might be interested in reading. Final Resting Place: A Lincoln and Speed Mystery by Jonathan F. Putnam is one of those books. It is the third book in this mystery series and will be published in July 2018. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC and took on this historical novel today. At first I was a bit apprehensive... it had politics (which I don't normally like or discuss) and some basis in fact (I know a bunch about this ...more
Glen
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's election time in Illinois, and Abraham Lincoln is running for office. What an inopportune time for his father and stepbrother to come visit! They're hillbillies who want money, and do almost everything possible to hurt Lincoln's campaign, just by being idiots.

There's a large party with a new novelty for the frontier, fireworks. As the fireworks go off, there is a murder under cover of the explosions. Lincoln is assigned the defense against his eternal opponent, Stephen A. Dougla
Jonathan Putnam
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I am biased, but I think this might be my best book yet. I'm excited for readers to have the chance to read it themselves.
Angie Boyter
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: vine
Life and death in 1838 Springfield
This third historical novel featuring Joshua Speed and his roommate and friend Abraham Lincoln takes place at the height of the political campaign season in Springfield, Illinois, in 1838. Elected offices are not the only plums to be plucked by the winning party; patronage jobs are also highly prized, so it is not surprising that the competition for them is also very heated. One such competition seems to come to a head at a fourth of July party, as guests
Dgordon
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
1838, Springfield Illinois murder is committed, the lawyers? Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas, with the help of Lincoln's friend Joshua Speed and his sister they pursue the truth with a fascinating cast of characters, all with historical significance. An enjoyable read that might just be better then the two previous books in this series.
Carol
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Please my review on Amazon.com under C. Wong. Thank you!
Bookreporter.com Historical Fiction
For those who enjoy historical fiction and have yet to delve into the Lincoln & Speed Mystery series, you are in for a treat. I love history and have always had a fondness for U.S. presidential history and trivia. All of my expectations have been met by Jonathan F. Putnam, who, as an attorney and Harvard graduate, really knows his stuff.

FINAL RESTING PLACE is the third entry in the series and takes place in the year 1838. Our heroes are 29-year-old Abraham Lincoln and his best friend, J
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller

Annie
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Final Resting Place is the third Lincoln & Speed historical mystery by Jonathan F. Putnam. Released 10th July 2018 by Crooked Lane books, it's 288 pages and available in hardcover, paperback, ebook, and audio formats.

The author is quite accomplished and I enjoyed the attention to historical detail. There were a number of small details (such as 'pigging') which were written in/>
Gwen - Chew & Digest Books -
4.5 Stars

Putnam pulls out all of the stops when it comes to research and being true as possible to his characters that are based on real-life historical figures, one of which is the most beloved man in America and future President. There are many great authors that do their research and I enjoy reading them, Putnum goes further and stays in the same timeline, uses the same court cases to shape his mysteries around, being an armchair Lincoln addict, always leaves me in awe. Those grea
Susan
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy historical mysteries but, while this is the third in this series, it's the first that I have read. Now the previous books are on my to be read stack. Add to it being a new series to me, the period and setting are new to me, as well. Here we have Abe Lincoln and Joshua Speed and Speed's sister, Martha living in Springfield in 1838. Lincoln is on the stump campaigning while at the same time trying to put together a defense for his friend, Truitt who is in jail on a charge of murder. They w ...more
Sharon
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 Stars

It's the height of election season, and Abraham Lincoln is running for the Illinois state legislature while Stephen Douglas runs for the US Senate. The two of them wind up facing off in a courtroom, as Lincoln defends a man accused of murdering his rival for a political appointment and Douglas serves as prosecutor.

There are additional subplots, involving the Second Great Revival, and Lincoln's unfortunate ill luck as a suitor (he's already lost one lady friend
Helen Howerton
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An emotional showdown as well as a murder mystery takes center stage in “Final Resting Place,” the third book in the Abraham Lincoln/Joshua Speed series of historical mystery novels by Jonathan F. Putnam. We meet Lincoln’s father and stepbrother, who have come to Illinois for some palaverin’ with their long and lanky relative. As readers will soon appreciate, they ain’t up to no good, and Mr. Lincoln finds himself regretting the visit of these cantankerous relations.

Speaking of perso
Wesley
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, gripping, captivating! Mr. Putnam’s third installment in his Lincoln and Speed Mystery Series “Final Resting Place” is his best work to date. I found the novel a real page turner, finishing within a twenty-four-hour period – I could not put it down. With the addition of Lincoln’s father and step-brother to the series, the reader sees a more personal side of Lincoln, as well as a look into his past as the mystery unfolds. I found the historical facts in this novel to be very intrigu ...more
Susan
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Political shenanigans abound in 1838 Springfield as Lincoln's past catched up on him. When a murder occurs on the four of July celebrations Speed and Lincoln must turn their talents to finding out the truth.
There are enough sub-plots to keep the pace of the tale moving along, and to make the story as a whole interesting, especially to someone like me who knows nothing about this period of history. The characters are also portrayed well.
This can easily be read as a standalone story bu
Jane Irish Nelson
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
Fascinating how the author managed to insert a murder mystery into the real history of the contentious Illinois election of 1838. Amidst campaign fever, someone seems to targeting Lincoln, so his friend Speed, along with Speed's sister Martha (who becomes somewhat enamored with Stephen Douglas!) undertake an investigation. Especially interesting is the author's note explaining just what is fiction (not very much) and what is fact. Highly recommended.
Janis Rich
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is historical fiction about Lincoln and his roommate and best friend, Joshua Speed. It is part of a series, it this is the first one I have read. In this one, Lincoln goes up against Douglas in a murder trial. It took me a bit to get into it, but once I did, I found it very entertaining. Be sure to read the authors notes at the end - very interesting and gives you an insight into what parts were fact, many of which I did not know.
I liked the mystery and inclusion of historical tidbits about Abraham Lincoln and voting procedures of the time. The book was boring in places, though, and never "wowed" me. I did appreciate that it's a clean book with mild language. And even though it's #3 in a series, it does stand alone. I would read other books in the series.
Betty
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now updated with the Lincoln and Speed mystery series as I finished the 3rd
installment of the series. I have learned a lot about Lincoln's early life and life in general in the 1830s. It is election time to select a Senator and other officials. Lincoln is working hard to send his law partner to Washington DC. His Father and stepmother have come for a visit. At the Four of July Celebration, someone is killed during the fireworks. Immediately, a known enemy is arrested and Lincoln his lawyer
Robert Colvin
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked Lincoln as a literary character and Putnam does a good job at capturing Lincoln in his early years as a lawyer. The research he did to write this story is deep and as far as I know, accurate. The book, however, could have been more exciting. It wasn't exactly a thriller.
Shirley Casey
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book so much that I ordered the 2 previous books by this author in this series. I must have at least 50 books about Lincoln and this being a little twist on fact was quite interesting.
Duane Gosser
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed all three books in this series. Combining great details from early American western frontier and Abraham Lincoln's life into a murder mystery works for me. Hope to see more with other famous Americans.
Jack
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
What a rush to read about new Salem, the state House, Law office... all places we visited last month. It was also unbelievable how many of the characters were based on real persons and the murder case actually true as well. Speed and his sister are great supporting characters.
nikkia neil
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
Thanks Crooked Lane Books and netgalley for this ARC.

Putnam keeps giving us great mysteries, unique to each book, with the characters becoming more alive each time. Can't wait to read more!

Nann
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio production narrated by Lloyd James.
Donna
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finished up #3 in the series. Very much enjoyed the story and the history! Lincoln was my favorite president and this time In history was so very important to country.
Ray Palen
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read my upcoming review on BookReporter.com.
Thomas
May 01, 2019 added it
Excellent.
Pauline Barlow
This was a great story. I want to read the other two books in the series.

• The Last Train to London
  • Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family
  • Betrayal in Time (Kendra Donovan, #4)
  • A Tale of Two Murders
  • Murder at Crossways (Gilded Newport Mysteries #7)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • What the Lady Wants
  • Shelved Under Murder (Blue Ridge Library Mysteries #2)
  • Love and Death Among the Cheetahs (Her Royal Spyness #13)
  • The Vanishing Man (Charles Lenox Mysteries #0.2)
  • Windy City Blues
  • Kopp Sisters on the March (Kopp Sisters, #5)
  • The Butterfly Girl (Naomi Cottle, #2)
  • Murder on Union Square (Gaslight Mystery, #21)
  • Emily, Gone
  • The Shape of Night
  • A Baker Street Wedding (Baker Street Letters, #6)
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
Jonathan Putnam is a writer and attorney. A graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School, he is a nationally renowned trial lawyer and a recognized Lincoln scholar. His historical mysteries in the Lincoln & Speed Mystery Series include A House Divided (July 2019); Final Resting Place (published 2018), Perish from the Earth (2017) and These Honored Dead (2016).

Jonathan has giv

A Lincoln and Speed Mystery (4 books)
  • These Honored Dead (A Lincoln and Speed Mystery #1)
  • Perish from the Earth (A Lincoln and Speed Mystery, #2)
  • A House Divided (A Lincoln and Speed Mystery #4)