Start by marking “The Good Samaritan” as Want to Read:
The Good Samaritan

The Good Samaritan

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  21,845 ratings  ·  2,173 reviews
An ITW Thriller Award finalist.

She’s a friendly voice on the phone. But can you trust her?

The people who call End of the Line need hope. They need reassurance that life is worth living. But some are unlucky enough to get through to Laura. Laura doesn’t want them to hope. She wants them to die.

Laura hasn’t had it easy: she’s survived sickness and a difficult marriage only t
Published April 12th 2018 by Thomas & Mercer (first published December 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Samaritan, please sign up.
Shelly My guess is the author originally self-published it and had used Olly. I see it is published by Thomas and Mercer as of approximately March 8, 2018. T…moreMy guess is the author originally self-published it and had used Olly. I see it is published by Thomas and Mercer as of approximately March 8, 2018. The publisher could have asked the name be changed to something that would be more recognizable in both the UK and US.

This is merely a guess, based on working with authors who have self-published and traditionally published.(less)
Dre Mosley First person between two main characters, and a couple of smaller characters, so 4 perspectives total.

·  21,845 ratings  ·  2,173 reviews

Start your review of The Good Samaritan
Dita
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, audible
Holy crap, this besauch is 50 shades of nuts and it's fabulous. So wrong and so, so, great!
Deanna
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpress.com/

This is my first read from John Marrs. After reading the description, I realized that this was probably going to be an intense read. Oh and I was right, it was definitely intense. It was also very dark and disturbing….and extremely hard to put down.

"Good afternoon, you've reached the End of the Line, this is Laura speaking. May I ask your name?"

She has a friendly voice and it sounds like she really cares. You c
Amy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Oohh what a dark and oftentimes uncomfortable read this one was, but I really do love to be pushed to my limits while reading and I always appreciate reading about a new, fresh subject and The Good Samaritan most definitely provides all of the above. It’s also disturbing, dark and filled with characters that you will alternate between hating and even sympathizing with, but they are all highly complex and incredibly well drawn making for a truly enthralling read.

This is told via dual narratives,
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Laura is a mom, she is a wife, she has a 'picture perfect' life...she also works at End of the Line. End of the Line is a phone center for people that have reached the end of hope. They have no good days (that they can see).
You would think this would make Laura a good woman wouldn't you?

You would be wrong. Because Laura is a batshit crazy woman.
She uses her job at End of the Line to find her special people, the ones that have no will to go on. Then she talks them into killing themselves with
marilyn
Jul 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
It's nice to know that when you or a loved one have reached the end of your rope, there is someone you can call to talk you through those feelings and help you know that there is still life worth living. That's where End of the Line comes in, a suicide prevention hotline that has had the misfortune to hire Laura. Needing talk to people who feel worse off than her, Laura is there to walk them the path least expected when a person calls a suicide prevention hotline. She's done it before and she pl ...more
Farrah
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⬇ if this here is reality, then this here is me ➡ 🤫 choosing to ignore it!

This book reinforced my admiration for Marrs' creativity. His work is always unique and, as long as I go in reminding myself that the story won't have a lot of realism - more of a soap opera on steroids 💪 - I always love it!

Laura is a 𝙛𝙖𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙘 villain. She's so evil and deranged and complicated. Her character is so well written. The game of cat and mouse between her and Ryan is both awesome and hard to handle!

The plot
Debra
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contemplating ending your life? Call "The End of the Line" hotline. They are there to listen, to be supportive, to be understanding, to be nonjudgmental. They have sympathetic volunteers whose jobs are not to talk you out of suicide, but to listen, to let you know you have options. But what happens when the kind, sympathetic, caring person on the other end has ulterior motives?

Laura loves the work she does at "The end of the line". This is where she shines. She is made for this. Oh, how she lov
Zoeytron
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a suicide hotline called End of the Line, and you'll know when you've reached it.  The volunteers who man the lines are there to listen.  One of the volunteers is Laura, wife, mother of three, non-threatening, helpful, and always in control.  She cares.  You have no idea how much.

A riveting game of cat and mouse, who is the victim and who is the prey?  Changeable, or one and the same?  Great psychological suspense that hit all the right notes for me.
Michelle
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOT DAMN!!!

What a deliciously devious little novel this is. John Marrs has created a wicked villain in Laura. She is absolutely awful but you will love to hate her. I was completely gripped from beginning to end.

Laura works at the End of the Line call center where you're a friendly voice and comforting shoulder to potential suicide victims. Unbeknownst to all around her but this is where she gets her kicks by convincing people that they are not worthy of life and essentially assisting them in t
Nazanin
5+++ Wonderful Stars

Wow, such an amazing story! I loved LOVED it! It was my second read by this author but as my previous read by him wasn’t that good, this one compensated it! This book took me out of my comfort zone (pushed me so hard) and let me tell you this one was an uncomfortable read but I’m glad I read it, it was definitely worth it! It was a really good psychological thriller, a page turner one, I couldn’t put it down and I was on the edge of my seat all the time! Well done Mr. Marrs!
L
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I listened with blissful satisfaction right until her final breath. That's the one sound that matters to me above all others. . . that one precious moment when someone breathes their last, then slips away. People in pain, like Chantelle, place themselves in my hands because I understand them better than anyone else in the world. I know more about what they need than their brothers, sisters, parents, spouses, best friends or children. I understand them because I know what's best for them ...more
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I think this is one of the few times where an author has left me speechless. In all honesty, I really do not know how I feel about this book. I even slept on it hoping that my feelings would become clearer.

The reason for my dilemma? I loved the book but at the same time I hated it. Why? Laura! I hated everything about her and the further into the story I got the more wound up and angry I got. She preys on people at their weakest time. Having suffered with depression myself, I could easily relate
Jayme
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book gives new meaning to the words "Assisted Suicide"!!

"End of the Line" has a mandate that is clear and simple. It is a phone number that you can call if you are troubled, and it believes that everyone has the right to live or die on his or her own terms.If a caller has decided to end his or her own life, the volunteer on the other end of the call won't try to talk you out of it. The volunteers are there to listen, not to act.

Unless you get Laura..."she has her own agenda".

"Good Afte
Sarah Joint
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is so dark and devious I had to follow it up with a much lighter read when I finished. It's not really graphic, so don't worry about that - it just takes you deep inside some twisted brains, and just when you think you know what's going to happen next, you're dead wrong.

Laura is a survivor, she beat cancer. Laura is a devoted wife and mother to her three children. Laura bakes lovely treats to share with her co-workers. Laura likes to encourage people to kill themselves.

Abusing her po
Linda Strong
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is unquestionably one of the best books I have read this year ... and I am now the newest fan of John Marrs.

Laura volunteers her time at the End Of The Line suicide line. She's there to listen, not to try to talk people out of committing suicide. The people who call are looking for someone to care, to tell them that life is worth living. Some call just to say goodbye.

However, Laura is a little different. She doesn't want them to turn away from the thought of suicide ... she actually wants t
preoccupiedbybooks
A dark, crazy, story with many plot twists!

OMFG I'm exhausted after having read this! That was one crazy ride! Most of the characters were unlikeable, but Laura...there's a special place in hell for her!! I don't think I have ever hated a character as much as I hated her...and yet I kept devouring the book?! I was gripped, and just had to know what happened! I think that shows the strength of the writing, that I thoroughly detested her, but just couldn't put the book down. Laura is totally on th
jessica
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book was beyond infuriating - im still angry just thinking about it. i had thought about putting this down multiple times but, for some reason, i just had to know what happened. silly me. there was a slight twist that i appreciated, but goodness me, i could not stand the main character.

Paul Falk
Author John Marrs tied my stomach into knots with a sordid tale of deception from those we instill a great deal of trust. The storyline had several well-placed characters but trickled down for the most part to two. They were well-drawn. The heading of the chapters were a time-saver by identifying which character was speaking. No time was lost trying to figure it out. Needless fillers or slow moving scenes never entered the narrative. As the plot progressed so did the action and intensity.

End of
Tracy Fenton
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book I’ve read by John Marrs and those eagle eyed readers will notice that it’s the 3rd book I have a cameo part in and a lovely mention in the acknowledgements. I was asked to read this book months ago before the editing and proof readers had been through it, but I declined because if I’m honest I love John’s stories so much I wanted to wait for the final version and enjoy it like any other reader would.

Boy am I glad I waited. The Good Samaritan has all the trademarks of a “Marr
Pauline
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, netgalley
I really like The One by John Marrs and was delighted to receive a copy of his book The Good Samaritan. Laura is a volunteer at a suicide helpline called End Of The Line. Laura desperately wants the help the callers who phone for reassurance but not in the way that you would expect. This is an excellent psychological thriller that had me hooked from the first page. I could not put it down and read it in one day. This is the best book I've read this year, highly recommend. I would like to thank N ...more
Brittany
5 Deranged Stars!!
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

“When you’re not considered to be a threat, you can get away with much, much more.”

If you like plot twists and turns, unreliable narrators, and books that take off at the speed of light and don't stop until the end....The Good Samaritan is for you. This was my very first John Marrs book, and it will not be my last.

Laura has the picture perfect life. She is a wife, a mom, and works at The End of The Line. At End of The Line, Laura volunteers and loves raising money a
Helga
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, british, crime
5.5

I have one word to say about this book. BRILLIANT!

I highly recommend The Good Samaritan for those who like unreliable narrators, unpredictable twists and a healthy amount of creepiness :D.
The suspense during reading this well-written book was unbearable. The portrayal of a narcissistic personality was impeccable. I specially loved the change of narrators every so often, giving a sudden shock to the naive reade
Alan Cotterell
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Disappointed

I was really looking forward to reading this, but for me, it didn't live up to expectations.
I didn't connect with any of the characters, and couldn't really care what happened to them. Maybe I missed the point, but at almost any point in the book I could of walked away. Even on the one day when I didn't have time to read, it didn't bother me that I hadn't read.
The only thing going for it was the pace of the chapters. Just about good enough for 2 stars.
Joey R.
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, unpredictable thriller

I have read literally hundreds of books from the suspense/ thriller genre and most of them come up short on both writing ability and plot twists. I wasn’t expecting much from a free kindle first book but it was free so what the heck. Boy was I wrong. “The Good Samaritan” had some of the most richly drawn characters I have read in a while. Psychotic sociopath doesn’t begin to describe the main character but predicting her next move was impossible for me and then the
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Wow, what a chilling thriller! This book was very suspenseful and had me on the edge of my seat. I have to admit it was a tad disturbing since I have had to use the suicide crisis line in my past but it was still a highly enjoyable book. This book made me think and made the hairs on the back of my neck stick straight up! Definitely recommend this psychological thriller!
Adrian Dooley
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second read of John Marrs and my second 5 star review. There’s something about his writing and storytelling that I just love, even though this is a completely different subject matter than the first one I read - The One.

Laura works for a volunteer suicide help line called End Of The Line. They take calls from people who are depressed, troubled and a lot of the time suicidal. Laura is not your average Good Samaritan though. She will listen and she will empathize with you completely and offer
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

What the WHAT did I just read. The Good Samaritan by John Marrs has trigger warnings galore and was incredibly dark AND disturbing. This book will not be for the faint of heart!

Laura drove me absolutely insane and you definitely have to suspend disbelief a bit for this book, she gets away with so many things that I wished I could jump into the book and kill her myself. I really liked Ryan as a character although I didn't agree with a lot of the things he did (or didn't do) either. Th
Michael Slavin
2,000 plus Amazon reviews

Terrific story! Really, really surprised me in a few places.

Read this book at your own risk, some one-star reviews called it, dark, sick, twisted, etc. But it is good and very well written, so smooth as it transitions from one character to another and tells the story from many different points of view. I liked it and was impressed.

Yes, you will hate the main character; really hate her, and a few others. I mean she works as a volunteer at a suicide hotline and talks peop
Bridgett
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The Good Samaritan is, simply put, clever, original, and terribly hard to put down.

This is the first book I've read by John Marrs, but after a juicy introduction like this, I'll definitely be checking out more from his library.

The antagonist, Laura, is deliciously evil...she's despicable, but I found myself sometimes rooting for her anyway. Her history makes her somewhat more sympathetic and compelling.

The plot twists were totally on point and so well written. I read a TON of psychological su
Christina
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow John Marrs. Just finished this, my first of your books, and you are as sick and devious as they say. (That’s a compliment.) I really liked the premise, the high-octane speed of the plot, and both main narrators. For a long time, I thought this was gonna be a five-star book because the first half leading up to the key initial incident was just perfection. But then there were just a few too many twists for me. Too many twists, you say? Is that even possible? I know — I am thriller obsessed, an ...more
Read With Me: Pre-Discussion: The Good Samaritan 4 17 Aug 11, 2018 10:03AM
Read With Me: Check In: The Good Samaritan 1 8 Jul 31, 2018 12:27PM
Read With Me: Post - Discussion: The Good Samaritan 1 12 Jul 31, 2018 12:23PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #1 - The Good Samaritan by John Marrs 1 4 Jul 20, 2018 06:35AM

• The House Guest
  • The Apartment
  • Here To Stay
  • The Other Wife
  • The Perfect Child
  • Silent Victim
  • The Retreat
  • A Murder of Magpies (The Magpies, #2)
  • The Perfect Life
  • In Her Shadow
  • Blood Orange
  • Last One to Lie
  • What You Did
  • The Promise
  • When She Returned
  • Strangers
  • The Magpies (The Magpies, #1)
  • The Friend
John Marrs is the author of #1 Best Sellers The One, The Good Samaritan, When You Disappeared, Welcome to Wherever You Are, Her Last Move, The Passengers, The Minders and What Lies Between Us.
The One has been translated into 30 different languages and is to be turned into an eight-part Netflix series starting in autumn 2020.
After working as a journalist for 25-years interviewing celebrities from