Start by marking “Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)

Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  815 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Jack Reardon, former SAS soldier and current Australian Meta-State asset, has seen some messy battles. But “messy” takes on a whole new meaning when he finds himself tied to a chair in a torture shack, his cover blown wide open, all thanks to notorious killer-for-hire Ethan Blade.

Blade is everything Jack doesn’t believe in: remorseless, detached, lawless. Yet, Jack’s only
Published February 26th 2018 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Where Death Meets the Devil, please sign up.
L.J. Hayward Hi Ryzza!
Hi Ryzza!
Sorry, I don't have a definite date yet, but book two, WHY THE DEVIL STALKS DEATH, will be out this year, hopefully within six or seven months, but definitely before the end of the year. I'll be announcing a release date (here, Twitter, blog, website, newsletter) as soon as I have it locked in.
Cheers, L.J.(less)
L.J. Hayward Hi Cassandra,

Hi Cassandra,

It's a relief to finally be able to answer this, but YES! There will be two more full novel length stories with J&E coming from Riptide. I don't have a release date for book 2 yet, but I'll certainly shout it from roof tops when I do. ;)

Also, soonish, I'll be putting out a free little Coda to WDMTD (at this stage through Smashwords), just to tie up a few loose ends from the novel.

Cheers, L.J. !!(less)

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Strap in, kids, cuz this one goes by fast!

I took a chance since Hayward was an unknown to me and I believe this is her first foray into MM, though I would never know it had I not snooped. I am beyond pleased that I clicked that request button because this is a Cupcake book! A blistering pace is set from the start that carries through to the finish.

Where Death Meets the Devil flip flops between events that took place a year ago and present day between Jack and Ethan. It's told entirely though Jac
Simone
MIND. OFFICIALLY. BLOWN.
"It is entirely possible to miss something you've never had."

Former SAS soldier Jack Reardon, now working for a secret counterterrorism government agency called The Office, has already seen better days in his life.

Granted, some more on the worse side, too, but meeting his Waterloo in a torture shack in the middle of nowhere, aka the Australian Outback, after months of a deep cover op to infiltrate the organization of a mob boss in order to find out more about his
Shin Mon Thway
For the first time in a while, I have no freaking idea how to write a coherent review except to say that I was blown away. 😱 What a magnificent and unique and stellar book this is! 👏 Fun-effing-tastic all the way! 😱 I’ve been dying to read this book even before it was published. Thanks to my super enthusiastic raving friends. 😒😂 I was counting the days to purchase this book as soon as it was released and I read this one right away after I got my hands on it. And it was just pure ecstasy reading ...more
Ariana
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariana by: Simone
Shelves: best-of-the-best
* 5 stars +++*

Be prepared for ...

two breath-taking characters:
Jack: loyal, reliable, sincere, honest, an ex-army guy whose job is to rid the world of bad guys
Ethan: ruthless, cold, weird, heartless,a meticulous planner and sociopath OR is he?

a fascinating, mind-blowing 'romance' (these are the first stages - there is so much left unresolved with two more books to come!):
The men meet in rather 'unfortunate' circumstances which force them to spend a week together.
Long enough to get to know eac
Line
Completely cray-cray, but fantastic nonetheless.
THIS is what I want in my military/police/hardcore Alpha-men. Complete competency and an author who seemingly did her police/military procedure-research.
I loved that Jack was hardcore, but that he was basically office-bound for a long period of time and that it still read as exciting.
(I can't be 100 percent sure this is how they do it in Aussie, but it read really fucking authentic and believable!)

And can I just say that I love Ethan Blade, and th
Christelle
**4.5 stars**

I’m going to start with the specific reasons I loved that one :
* It was personally special as it’s a gift from Vir ( **Muchas gracias, Vir <3 ).
* It’s a new-author-to-me and the writing style : really good and it perfectly worked for me.
* I read “Where death meets the devil : Coda” (free book) in the process, so no abrupt ending for me. (link : https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...)

Jack works for a government agency and is sent for an undercover mission to bring down a power
Jewel
Color me blown away! I have never read this author before, so I really had no idea what to expect. Let me tell ya though, I'm ready for book 2 right the frak now! In fact, I'm lucky to have gotten any sleep the past couple days, because I could not put this book down! Fast paced, it kept me on my toes, and I fell in love with Jack and, especially, Ethan.

And now what to say about the characters? Oh, wow, I am in love. I, honestly, don't even know how to review the book I just read. The pairing s
Jan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, mystery
*** 3 Stars ***

I liked it, friends, but I was aiming for mind blowing which didn't happen.
Oh well, at least the story intrigued me enough to keep me going.

Despite not being my cuppa I have to admit that the structure of it was very elaborate, an intricate sequence of carefully placed events, smartly done. There was no loose ends, there was no bullshit, there were not "too incredible and ridiculous twists" just for the sake of it. It was clever and classy. Kudos to the author! However, none of i
Lena♥Ribka
4,5 stars

Honestly, there are only two different ways you can feel about this book: either you LOVE it or you LIKE it.

But one thing seems clear: if you won't LIKE it, you have to stay away from MM Romance suspense books.

Wish you were here?..

The story:

Jack Reardon, former SAS soldier, and a current Australian ITA asset (Internal Threat Assesment) hasn’t yet fully recovered from his last undercover work. Or at least it is what ITA Director thinks and it is why Jack is not completely cleared
J *deep in the heart of Texas*
4.5 Stars!

I was hesitant to read this one. I was afraid it would be predominately suspense. And while the romance was not quite as developed as I would have liked there was enough building that I was satisfied. Pleasantly satisfied.

The writing was great. We even got some banter between the assassin and Jack. Ethan and Jack had great chemistry. And I was surprised by the amount of steam. While there was a build up to it, it was worth the wait.

The suspense was well done and had me wavering until
Jaime
This is a story that will keep you guessing and totally entertained! My first book by author L.J. Hayward and I am eager to read more, in-fact I Hope & Pray we get more of Jack & Ethan!!

I won't lie.. the ending, sorta killed me! Can I get an epilogue over here or something? Throw me a bone PLEASE!! I need MORE of these two .... like SO much MORE!!!

The way this book was written is so that once you get into the storyline.. you won't be able to put the book down. It just keeps revealing l
Annika
description

Yay! This was amazing!
Action, fun, mystery, and sexy times.
The chemistry - both in and out of bed - between Jack and Blade was out of this world and the characterization, Ethan's in particular, was outstanding. I loved the frequent fighting and action scenes as well as the banter and overall storyline.

What made me withdraw half a star was that the story was told alternating between past and present day, which I'm just not a fan of. Personal preference and all.

It may be just my hopes speaking, b
Debra
Reviewed for Sinfully.

Read the blurb for this book and that's all you need to know going into it. Told from Jack's point of view with chapters alternating between "then", a year ago with Jack on a mission deep undercover in the Australian desert where Ethan Blade enters his life, and "now" when Ethan returns.

The story unfolds alternating with chapters from "then" and "now". The parallel chapters worked very well. Something that comes up "now" that you can't really figure out is then ti
fleurette
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I already said in some other reviews, I have a soft spot for assassins. And this book has one that is a very interesting hero and, on top of that, there is also Jack - think about any character played by Jason Statham (in a good way).

“Ethan Blade, huh? I guess there weren’t too many professions you could go into with a name like that. International assassin or circus performer, really, they’re your only options.”

The heroes are one of the best thing about this book. Ethan Blade, the assass
Graeme Rodaughan
Just got past the scene where Jack (ex-SAS Bad-ass Spy) gives Ethan (International Man of Mystery), and currently Jack's prisoner, a delicious salted caramel fudge log.

Sadly, I just can't go on, I'm throwing in the towel at 32% - this is just not my genre, and I'm left without a hook to hang my continuing interest on.

Let's shelve this under romance, as that is the primary theme of the story.

Recommended for anyone who is looking for Bromance with lashings of delicious chocolate syrup.
Ky
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, arc, read-2018
The first thing you need to know about this book is that nothing happens for no reason.

I think that if I read the story a second time, even especially right after the first time, I would find so much more information in it. There are layers upon layers of diception here. Nothing is as it seems. There are so many secrets and hidden agentas that you never know what's going to be revealed next.

At first I wasn't very happy with the way the book was structured. The chapters alternate between past and
Meep
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Was wary going in knowing the story held two concurrent timelines, but was soon got caught up in both. This quickly drew me in and held my attention until the end. Really enjoyed, was regretful to have to sleep mid-story.

Wish you were here?
As you wish

Infiltration, trust, double-triple crossing, fist-fights, gun-fights, and some lust thrown in to confuse matters more. Motivations are unclear, morals are murky, the outcome never certain.

Ethan Blade - Assassin - Hides childlike enthusiasms and
Natalie
What an outstanding, riveting and exciting adventure this book is! I read this a couple of weeks ago, then waited to read it a second time, just so I could enjoy it again. Elements I adore reading are all here; spies, assassins, secret government and criminal organizations, non-stop action, betrayal, lust and redemption. Oh, plus a pack of dingoes and a camel named Sophia. The complex plot pits Jack Reardon, undercover government agent, against Ethan Blade, infamous assassin, turning Jack’s assi ...more
Alisa
This was a fast paced adventure story about two spies on opposite sides of a case. Maybe. Or maybe they're on the same side but they don't know it. All they know is they can't stand each other. Maybe. Or maybe they actually love each other........

The story goes back and forth, from chapter to chapter, from past to present. The author keeps you guessing about what happened then and what's happening now. All you know for sure is that these two are great together and their sexual tension jumps off
Claude
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book...euhhh genial!
I finished this days ago and i just found it almost perfect!
My favorite genre in M/M is romance suspense and i'm just in love with men who carry weapons (as can testify my love for Ty and Zane in cut and run or Vincent and Nate in the protectors series 😍).
We met in this:
Jack : ex-soldier, who now work for an secret organisation. I really love him, his honesty, him just him. He's funny (much self-mockery 😂) . Everything is told by his POV (it's true that I would have
Renée
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

What a surprise little gem!

I loved how all of the information unfolded, between a year ago and now, one chapter at a time. Normally constant flashbacks would annoy me, but it worked here.

Every bit of action and suspense had me reading very late into the night.

But Ethan and Jack......seeing where the relationship would end up. THAT is why I need a second book now. I'm feeling unsatisfied with where things are.

Rounded down only because of the romance not being fully developed yet. I hav
haletostilinski

I'm gonna start out this review with why I'm taking .5 off of this amazing, wonderful book. Why? Well, only because of the ending - it's not bad at all, it's actually a very tentative happy for now, or...just...happy for the moment? I'll explain later. But what happens at the end frustrated me beyond belief, despite the fact that our two MC's were indeed together at the end. Why? Well...

(view spoiler)
Eugenia
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I looked at a lot of my GR friends’ 5 star reviews and I just couldn’t do the same. Maybe it had something to do with amped up expectations, with everyone saying how amazing this book was. Don’t get me wrong, it was good; I simply wasn’t amazed. My eyes weren’t bulging out of their sockets.

In fact, the one thing that really got me revved up in this book was not knowing what the hell was going on for a good 2/3 of the story. The author had me flipping back and forth in time, feeding me tiny tidbi
Fabi
A non-stop thriller with two extremely complex characters. A plot that reveals itself excruciatingly slowly. One little clue at a time while keeping the reader on the edge of the seat experiencing high-octane action and breathtaking suspense.

Is this a romance novel?

ummm... yes, I'm going to say yes ~ maybe

It's definitely not your typical boy meets boy and falls in love romance. It's not age-gap. It's not OFY. It's not second-chance, enemies-to-lovers or friends-to-lovers. It's not any of the t
Angela
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awww yeah! Loved it! I was about to start screaming until I saw that there is 1.5 just waiting for me right now!
Joyfully Jay
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Wow, this one was a thrill ride from start to finish! I absolutely loved Where Death Meets the Devil and didn’t want to put it down. It is fascinating and intense and exciting, with such a unique hero in Ethan Blade and a really original structure that just makes the story pop.

The book takes place over two time periods: “Then” is a year ago beginning with Jack waking in the torture shack, and “Now” starts the day Blade comes back into his life. The story is told
Vivian
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

This books was jammed packed with adventure. I couldn’t put it down and I had to charge my iPad twice to finish. It has everything you want in a book - Intrigue, romance, mystery, military and it keeps you guessing.
Natasha
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

I really liked many parts of this. :D
Some were a little long-winded for me, but overall, I think it's a very good book.
Rafa Brewster
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy hell that was so fucking good. More to come.

EDITED TO ADD: Full review as posted on Just Love

Where Death Meets the Devil quite simply encompassed everything I could ever want in a romantic suspense novel. It had style, it had substance, and best of all, it had a battle-ready pet camel named Sheila. Like I said, everything I could ever want in a romantic suspense novel.

The story was fast-paced, action-packed and brilliantly plotted. In a word, it was intense. It was chock full of intrigue
L.J. Hayward has been telling stories for most of her life. Granted, a good deal of them have been of the tall variety, but who’s counting? Parents and teachers notwithstanding, of course. These days, the vast majority of her story telling has been in an honest attempt to create fun and exciting ways of entertaining others (and making money).

As such, she is still a mad (always provoked!) scientist
More about L.J. Hayward

Death and the Devil (2 books)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“You're just a weaponist, Jack." Jack stifled a snicker.
"A weaponist?"
"Like a racist but against certain weapons."
"And you never met a weapon you didn't like."
"A couple actually, but that was more personality differences."
"Hah! No. You're just a weapon slut. There's a difference. I'm a weapon monogamist." He considered that, then added, "Well, maybe a very limited polygamist."
"You haven't returned my Desert Eagle," Blade noted dryly.
"It's lonely out here and I'm a man with needs.”
3 likes