Start by marking “Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)” as Want to Read:
Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)

Where Death Meets the Devil

(Death and the Devil #1)

Jack Reardon, former SAS soldier and current Australian Meta-State asset, has seen some messy battles. But “messy” takes on a whole new meaning when he finds himself tied to a chair in a torture shack, his cover blown wide open, all thanks to notorious killer-for-hire Ethan Blade.

Blade is everything Jack doesn’t believe in: remorseless, detached, lawless. Yet, Jack’s only
Published February 26th 2018 by Riptide Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Where Death Meets the Devil, please sign up.
L.J. Hayward Hi Tania!

I can at last answer this... Yes. Audio of WDMTD will be out... soonish. ;)

Cheers!!…more
Hi Tania!

I can at last answer this... Yes. Audio of WDMTD will be out... soonish. ;)

Cheers!!(less)
L.J. Hayward Hi Ryzza!
Hi Ryzza!
Sorry, I don't have a definite date yet, but book two, WHY THE DEVIL STALKS DEATH, will be out this year, hopefully within six or seven months, but definitely before the end of the year. I'll be announcing a release date (here, Twitter, blog, website, newsletter) as soon as I have it locked in.
Cheers, L.J.(less)

Start your review of Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Strap in, kids, cuz this one goes by fast!

I took a chance since Hayward was an unknown to me and I believe this is her first foray into MM, though I would never know it had I not snooped. I am beyond pleased that I clicked that request button because this is a Cupcake book! A blistering pace is set from the start that carries through to the finish.

Where Death Meets the Devil flip flops between events that took place a year ago and present day between Jack and Ethan. It's told entirely though Jac
Simone
MIND. OFFICIALLY. BLOWN.
"It is entirely possible to miss something you've never had."

Former SAS soldier Jack Reardon, now working for a secret counterterrorism government agency called The Office, has already seen better days in his life.

Granted, some more on the worse side, too, but meeting his Waterloo in a torture shack in the middle of nowhere, aka the Australian Outback, after months of a deep cover op to infiltrate the organization of a mob boss in order to
Shin Mon Thway
For the first time in a while, I have no freaking idea how to write a coherent review except to say that I was blown away. 😱 What a magnificent and unique and stellar book this is! 👏 Fun-effing-tastic all the way! 😱 I’ve been dying to read this book even before it was published. Thanks to my super enthusiastic raving friends. 😒😂 I was counting the days to purchase this book as soon as it was released and I read this one right away after I got my hands on it. And it was just pure ecstasy reading ...more
Shile
4.35 Wish you were here? Stars

For a comprehensive Fantabulous review, read my lovely Temptress Simone words 😘😘 here.

-The writing is differently good, The Then/ Now thing was confusing at first, but I did catch on. I loved how it all came together.

-It is about JACK-ETHAN-FORMER SAS-SPY-ASSASSIN-JACK+ETHAN

- It has scorching HOT Sex,🔥🔥🔥 with no kissing😁🤔, kissing is intimate and the mouth like hands is sensitive and that is the gospel according to Jack, I somehow approve. WE LOVE JACK.

-Etha
Line
Completely cray-cray, but fantastic nonetheless.
THIS is what I want in my military/police/hardcore Alpha-men. Complete competency and an author who seemingly did her police/military procedure-research.
I loved that Jack was hardcore, but that he was basically office-bound for a long period of time and that it still read as exciting.
(I can't be 100 percent sure this is how they do it in Aussie, but it read really fucking authentic and believable!)

And can I just say that I love Ethan Blade, and th
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Hearts!

Now that’s what a spy espionage mercenary story should be, and it’s no surprise at the multitude of readers already singing this book’s praises!

Know that Jack is a government man, ex military, and strongly patriotic. When his deep undercover assignment investigating a shady businessman is ruined by top ranking assassin Ethan Blade, he’s not sure what to think when the mysterious and oh so deadly man saves his ass instead of kills it.

Ensue alternating chapters of “then” and “now”, as one
Ariana
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariana by: Simone
Reread August 2019

Can I add more stars, please? ***********************************************
The reread was even better and I ended up totally engrossed, captivated and gooey by the end AGAIN! What a simply brilliant book! I absolutely adored getting 're-acquainted' with these two and reveled in very single moment.
I also highlighted so much, that in the end I couldn't make up my mind what to add here. You just as well go and read the book! :)

Original review

* 5 stars +++*

Be prepared for ...

tw
Jan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, mystery
*** 3 Stars ***

I liked it, friends, but I was aiming for mind blowing which didn't happen.
Oh well, at least the story intrigued me enough to keep me going.

Despite not being my cuppa I have to admit that the structure of it was very elaborate, an intricate sequence of carefully placed events, smartly done. There was no loose ends, there was no bullshit, there were not "too incredible and ridiculous twists" just for the sake of it. It was clever and classy. Kudos to the author! However, none of i
Christelle
Even better this second time :-)
--------------------------------------
**4.5 stars**

I’m going to start with the specific reasons I loved that one :
* It was personally special as it’s a gift from Vir ( **Muchas gracias, Vir <3 ).
* It’s a new-author-to-me and the writing style : really good and it perfectly worked for me.
* I read “Where death meets the devil : Coda” (free book) in the process, so no abrupt ending for me. (link : https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...)

Jack works for a governm
Wendy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: Elsbeth
4,5

I am a big sucker for mystery/suspense romance books and when they also include some "man on man loving", it makes me a very very happy camper !! So this series is definitely right up my alley ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=so happy gif

What I enjoyed most about this book was the back and forth between past and present. Normally I am not a fan, but somehow the author really made it work... I couldn't wait to see what was gonna happen on the next page.

Jack works as a "secret agent" of sorts (Australian Meta-State asset) and Ethan is
LenaRibka
4,5 stars

Honestly, there are only two different ways you can feel about this book: either you LOVE it or you LIKE it.

But one thing seems clear: if you won't LIKE it, you have to stay away from MM Romance suspense books.

Wish you were here?..

The story:

Jack Reardon, former SAS soldier, and a current Australian ITA asset (Internal Threat Assesment) hasn’t yet fully recovered from his last undercover work. Or at least it is what ITA Director thinks and it is why Jack is not completely clea
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I was hesitant to read this one. I was afraid it would be predominately suspense. And while the romance was not quite as developed as I would have liked there was enough building that I was satisfied. Pleasantly satisfied.

The writing was great. We even got some banter between the assassin and Jack. Ethan and Jack had great chemistry. And I was surprised by the amount of steam. While there was a build up to it, it was worth the wait.

The suspense was well done and had me wavering until
Jewel
Color me blown away! I have never read this author before, so I really had no idea what to expect. Let me tell ya though, I'm ready for book 2 right the frak now! In fact, I'm lucky to have gotten any sleep the past couple days, because I could not put this book down! Fast paced, it kept me on my toes, and I fell in love with Jack and, especially, Ethan.

And now what to say about the characters? Oh, wow, I am in love. I, honestly, don't even know how to review the book I just read. The pairing s
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
Audio - 2.5 Stars. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I need more than a nice voice.
Story - 3.5 stars

200% me and not the book.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the story. I did, but the "then and now" set up didn't work for me. And it was the entire book. I got frustrated.

I look forward to reading the other books in the series. I can't get enough of Ethan. I'm totally nuts for him!!!
Corina
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

Sadly I don't remember anymore how I found this author, I would love to thank the person who made me aware of this series - because I'm hooked!!

I got this book a couple days ago and all I want to do is read this series. It's a fact, I can't get enough of Blade and Jack. And might even call myself a teensy bit obsessed. Additionally I can add L.J. Hayward to my new author list of 2019.

There are a couple things I adored about this book.

Slow burn

Beautiful writing

Unique voice

Charismatic ch
Debra
Reviewed for Sinfully.

Read the blurb for this book and that's all you need to know going into it. Told from Jack's point of view with chapters alternating between "then", a year ago with Jack on a mission deep undercover in the Australian desert where Ethan Blade enters his life, and "now" when Ethan returns.

The story unfolds alternating with chapters from "then" and "now". The parallel chapters worked very well. Something that comes up "now" that you can't really figure out is then ti
Teal
*** 3.5 stars ***

I procrastinated over this review for days, waffling as to whether I wanted to round up from 3.5 stars, or round down. And the answer is: I don't WANT to round up and I don't WANT to round down, I just want to rate it 3.5 stars dammit already GoodReads!

This book had the potential to be a 5-star read for me, because it's chock-full of stuff I love. Chock. Full. Action, adventure, espionage, betrayals, suspense, highly advanced tech, things blowing up, an awesome flying machine, a
Fabi
A non-stop thriller with two extremely complex characters. A plot that reveals itself excruciatingly slowly. One little clue at a time while keeping the reader on the edge of the seat experiencing high-octane action and breathtaking suspense.

Is this a romance novel?

ummm... yes, I'm going to say yes ~ maybe

It's definitely not your typical boy meets boy and falls in love romance. It's not age-gap. It's not OFY. It's not second-chance, enemies-to-lovers or friends-to-lovers. It's not any of the t
Jaime
This is a story that will keep you guessing and totally entertained! My first book by author L.J. Hayward and I am eager to read more, in-fact I Hope & Pray we get more of Jack & Ethan!!

I won't lie.. the ending, sorta killed me! Can I get an epilogue over here or something? Throw me a bone PLEASE!! I need MORE of these two .... like SO much MORE!!!

The way this book was written is so that once you get into the storyline.. you won't be able to put the book down. It just keeps revealing little pl
Annika
description

Yay! This was amazing!
Action, fun, mystery, and sexy times.
The chemistry - both in and out of bed - between Jack and Blade was out of this world and the characterization, Ethan's in particular, was outstanding. I loved the frequent fighting and action scenes as well as the banter and overall storyline.

What made me withdraw half a star was that the story was told alternating between past and present day, which I'm just not a fan of. Personal preference and all.

It may be just my hopes speaking, b
Adam
What a thrilling ride.

I love a good MM spy thriller. 'Where Death Meets the Devil' delivers on all counts - two complex characters, a frenemies-to-lovers theme, some hot sexin', an ambiguous relationship, and a great action plot.

The book is told through two timelines - the past and the present - with each chapter alternating. I'm not always a fan of this format, but in this case it worked great. It was interesting to see how events in the two timelines overlapped, and how the characters' actions
Meep
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Was wary going in knowing the story held two concurrent timelines, but was soon got caught up in both. This quickly drew me in and held my attention until the end. Really enjoyed, was regretful to have to sleep mid-story.

Wish you were here?
As you wish

Infiltration, trust, double-triple crossing, fist-fights, gun-fights, and some lust thrown in to confuse matters more. Motivations are unclear, morals are murky, the outcome never certain.

Ethan Blade - Assassin - Hides childlike enthusia
Ky
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first thing you need to know about this book is that nothing happens for no reason.

I think that if I read the story a second time, even especially right after the first time, I would find so much more information in it. There are layers upon layers of diception here. Nothing is as it seems. There are so many secrets and hidden agentas that you never know what's going to be revealed next.

At first I wasn't very happy with the way the book was structured. The chapters alternate between past and
Eugenia
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second read AUDIOBOOK: 4/23/19
I liked this so much bettter the second time around!! Maybe it was me, maybe it was the fantastic narration by a NTM narrator, Rowan Scott, but what ever the reason, this 2nd go ROCKED!

Original review: April 7, 2018:
I looked at a lot of my GR friends’ 5 star reviews and I just couldn’t do the same. Maybe it had something to do with amped up expectations, with everyone saying how amazing this book was. Don’t get me wrong, it was good; I simply wasn’t amazed. My eyes
Graeme Rodaughan
Just got past the scene where Jack (ex-SAS Bad-ass Spy) gives Ethan (International Man of Mystery), and currently Jack's prisoner, a delicious salted caramel fudge log.

Sadly, I just can't go on, I'm throwing in the towel at 32% - this is just not my genre, and I'm left without a hook to hang my continuing interest on.

Let's shelve this under romance, as that is the primary theme of the story.

Recommended for anyone who is looking for Bromance with lashings of delicious chocolate syrup.
fleurette
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
As I already said in some other reviews, I have a soft spot for assassins. And this book has one that is a very interesting hero and, on top of that, there is also Jack - think about any character played by Jason Statham (in a good way).

“Ethan Blade, huh? I guess there weren’t too many professions you could go into with a name like that. International assassin or circus performer, really, they’re your only options.”

The heroes are one of the best thing about this book. Ethan Blade, th
haletostilinski

I'm gonna start out this review with why I'm taking .5 off of this amazing, wonderful book. Why? Well, only because of the ending - it's not bad at all, it's actually a very tentative happy for now, or...just...happy for the moment? I'll explain later. But what happens at the end frustrated me beyond belief, despite the fact that our two MC's were indeed together at the end. Why? Well...

(view spoiler)
ReadingAllNite
What an outstanding, riveting and exciting adventure this book is! I read this a couple of weeks ago, then waited to read it a second time, just so I could enjoy it again. Elements I adore reading are all here; spies, assassins, secret government and criminal organizations, non-stop action, betrayal, lust and redemption. Oh, plus a pack of dingoes and a camel named Sophia. The complex plot pits Jack Reardon, undercover government agent, against Ethan Blade, infamous assassin, turning Jack’s assi ...more
Alisa
This was a fast paced adventure story about two spies on opposite sides of a case. Maybe. Or maybe they're on the same side but they don't know it. All they know is they can't stand each other. Maybe. Or maybe they actually love each other........

The story goes back and forth, from chapter to chapter, from past to present. The author keeps you guessing about what happened then and what's happening now. All you know for sure is that these two are great together and their sexual tension jumps off
Claude
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book...euhhh genial!
I finished this days ago and i just found it almost perfect!
My favorite genre in M/M is romance suspense and i'm just in love with men who carry weapons (as can testify my love for Ty and Zane in cut and run or Vincent and Nate in the protectors series 😍).
We met in this:
Jack : ex-soldier, who now work for an secret organisation. I really love him, his honesty, him just him. He's funny (much self-mockery 😂) . Everything is told by his POV (it's true that I would have

• Trick Roller (Seven of Spades, #2)
  • One-Eyed Royals (Seven of Spades, #4)
  • Cash Plays (Seven of Spades, #3)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Kill Game (Seven of Spades, #1)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (Big Bad Wolf, #4)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Cardigans (Criminal Intentions: Season One #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • Prince of Killers (Fog City, #1)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • P.S. I Spook You (The Spectral Files, #1)
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
L.J. Hayward has been telling stories for most of her life, a good deal of them of the tall variety. She loves reading but doesn’t seem to have enough time between wanting to be a more disciplined writer, being the actual erratic writer she is, and working for dollars in a dungeon laboratory. She also lives on the Gold Coast in Queensland, but rarely sees a beach and can’t surf, though she thinks ...more

Death and the Devil (3 books)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • When Death Frees the Devil (Death and the Devil, #3)

News & Interviews

“You're just a weaponist, Jack." Jack stifled a snicker.
"A weaponist?"
"Like a racist but against certain weapons."
"And you never met a weapon you didn't like."
"A couple actually, but that was more personality differences."
"Hah! No. You're just a weapon slut. There's a difference. I'm a weapon monogamist." He considered that, then added, "Well, maybe a very limited polygamist."
"You haven't returned my Desert Eagle," Blade noted dryly.
"It's lonely out here and I'm a man with needs.”
6 likes