Start by marking “I Am Heathcliff: Stories Inspired by Wuthering Heights” as Want to Read:
I Am Heathcliff: Stories Inspired by Wuthering Heights

I Am Heathcliff: Stories Inspired by Wuthering Heights

16 modern fiction superstars shine a startling light on the romance and pain of the infamous literary pair Heathcliff and Cathy.
Short stories to stir the heart and awaken vital conversation about love.

Sixteen stories inspired by Wuthering Heights.

In ‘Terminus’ a young woman hides in an empty Brighton hotel; in ‘Thicker Than Blood’ a man sits in a hot tub stalking his newly
Published July 26th 2018 by The Borough Press

To ask other readers questions about I Am Heathcliff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Heathcliff

Jemima
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just like the title suggests, this is book has stories inspired by one of my favourite books of all time, Wuthering Heights.

Really enjoyed reading I Am Heathcliff 💕
Elaine Howlin
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, 2018, scribd
description

Fantastic collection of short stories inspired by Wuthering Heights. I enjoyed each one of the sixteen stories included which is rare for a short story collection. Some were inspired by themes in the novel and some were more like retellings but each one made a strong impression.

Some left me feeling uneasy, others made me angry and others left me feeling a bit disturbed. I highly recommend reading this whether you're a fan of Wuthering Heights or not.

I listened to the audio version but I will be
Helen Carolan
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a huge fan of "Withering heights" I really wanted to read this one. A short story collection based o Emily Bronte's classic novel, edited by Bronte fan Kate Mosse. Enjoyed some of the stories more than others but a terrific read overall.
Jo
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: brontes, fiction
A collection of stories inspired by the novel Wuthering Heights, published on the 200th anniversary of Emily Bronte's birth. Like all collections, I enjoyed some stories more than others but, in general, the writing was top notch in all cases.
Carol
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, short-stories
A wonderful, enjoyable collection of stories ranging from 2-5 stars for me.
Hannah
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fantastic collection of short stories inspired by Wuthering Heights. I have a complicated relationship with the book probably due to the crazy love story and weird second generation story, I appreciate it more as I get older. However, you don't need to be a big fan to appreciate these stories. Particularly liked the slightly creepy stories drawing on the gothic elements of the novel.
Harriet
Hmm. I enjoyed the concept but it ended up taking me a long time to read because some of the stories were a lot better than others. I really enjoyed the ones with ghosts and things unseen. Less so much the stories where Cathy and Heathcliff’s relationship was exactly mirrored in modern day tales. Wuthering Heights is gothic and creepy and awesome, I don’t want it washed out in a city or a school!
Ireene
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Makes one think about how not to love. I am team Jane Eyre but I really enjoyed this collection of stories.
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Five Sites, Five Stages: 4.5/5
Kit: 4/5
My Eye is a Button on Your Dress: 4/5
The Cord: 5/5
Heathcliffs I Have Known: 3/5. I was all willing to give this a higher rating for deconstructing the idea that 'Heathcliffs' are desirable until - on the penultimate page - it went the well-worn direction of assuming that Emily Bronte didn't know what she was doing when she made Heathcliff an abusive creep. Why is it i
Angie Rhodes
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Being a huge Heathcliff fan,,I was delighted when I saw this on Amazon' to pre order, Short stories, collected by Kate Mosse, written by a variety of authors, and each one completely different, There is something for everyone, and yes, I still love Heathcliff.
Julie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is never easy to review a collection of short stories, especially one by such a diverse selection of authors as this one. It contains stories by well known mystery writers, gentle writers of comfortable fiction and writers only known in translation. It is possible only because these sixteen stories have a strong theme; that of the passionate, puzzling and dramatic novel, Wuthering Heights. Emily Bronte’s sole novel has so many points of significance; passionate love, obsession, identities, in ...more
Jo Cameron-Symes
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love Wuthering Heights so I was excited to read this selection of short stories inspired by the original narrative. Some of these are very powerful such as 'Anima,' by Grace McClean using the analogy of a fox hunt. This was a difficult story to read but was strongly constructed packed an emotional punch. I also liked Dorothy Koomson's story 'Wildflowerss' and Joanna Cannon's 'One Letter Different' both stories about relationships that worked well. Others that were strong were Junk Dawson's 'Ki ...more
V
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am heathcliff book is a collection of sixteen stories inspired by Wuthering Heights.Is it weird that I haven't read the book,yet I picked this one? I loved the curation of these stories by authors,few with theme of Wuthering Heights in them and few with retelling of the story.Among them are stories I liked,stories where I didn't know what was happening and stories which made me angry and uneasy.Overall,I enjoyed reading them.If u are a fan of Emily Bronte's works,you can definitely check this ...more
Orláith
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I Am Heathcliff is a collection of 16 short stories curated by @katemossewriter in honour of Emily Brontë's 200th birthday on 30th July. Each story is based, some more loosely than others, on Brontë's 1847 classic, Wuthering Heights.

I've never really considered myself to be a great fan of Wuthering Heights, I think dissecting it in school removed any pleasure from it, but I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of stories. Each takes a different look at the characters and overall plot of Wuthering
Pamela Scott

I must be one of the very few people in the world who didn’t like Wuthering Heights. I get why people love it so much and Heathcliff and Cathy’s disturbing, dark bond is fascinating. I enjoyed every story in this collection. Usually anthologies have one or two weak stories but every story in I Am Heathcliff: Stories Inspired by Wuthering Heights is good. The reason for 4 stars and not 5 is that I enjoyed some stories a lot more than others and even though
The-Modern-Typewriter
This was an interesting read. I didn't like Wuthering Heights - though Kudos for giving me some of the strongest feelings I have ever had about a book and some truly beautiful lines of writing - but this book made me think about it again. The different versions and themes of obsession were interesting. Some were more Wuthering than others though, but yeah.

I also appreciated that while it flagged Heathcliff's abusive tendencies in more than one tale, it also had some stories which noted that he
Lauren Straley
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I highly anticipated reading this collection of stories. Wuthering Heights inspired much of my studies and personal fascination with the 19th century.

Each story depicted a facet of Emily Bronte’s great work—whether in theme or a reimagining of the plot itself. To say they were beautiful would not be accurate. Rather, I’d say they were raw often to the point of brutality. Some moved me, others repulsed me, and still others made me lament for the characters and their plight.

I would advise lovers
Sue
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It was the title that made me pick this book from the library shelf. I read Wuthering Heights when I was in my teens and with those teenage hormones racing round my body I both loved and was afraid of Heathcliff. So, as I said, it was the title that got me.
The series of short stories take the themes of anger, embittered love, desire and revenge and place them in a modern context with the merest nod to Heathcliff and Cathy.
I am not a big fan of short stories but this kept me interested enough to
Stuart
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Now, though I am older, and each day the universe is a mighty stranger'

I decided to leave when I became like a sunflower

Corsets...to remind women to be grateful for the rib they had been permitted to keep

Dead girls can't star in musical theatre extravaganzas

The Morrow contains at least one unhappy ghost from the past who sits staring out at the Window of Death
June Schwarz
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
There are two very good stories in this collection, and one good one that got lost in what I can only assume was a word limit (Alison Case). The others range from truly dreadful to forgettable.

Joanna Cannon’s piece was my favorite of the stories, but I also very much liked Louisa Young’s.

I wanted to love Sophie Hannah’s story but it left me cold.
Gina
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read "Wuthering Heights' twice- once was many years ago in high school and then again, just a couple of years ago. I like it even though it's a little dark. But the stories in "I am Heathcliff" were too dark for me. They are the "modern dark." Just not something I enjoy reading.
(Received an ecopy for my Kindle from Edelweiss."
Sally Boocock
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stoies
An intriguing mix of short stories relating to Heathcliff. I enjoyed some more than others but all gave room for thought. A combination of old and new makes for a different slant on the original telling.
Capnniknak
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a stunning collection of stories. Each is so creative and clever. My faves were the ones by Laurie Penny, Juno Dawson, Hanan al-Shaykh, Leila Aboulela, Alison Case, Dorothy Koomson and Louisa Young

Made me want to read Wuthering Heights again.
Jo
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5
Jess Jackson
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Some stories I liked a lot more than others, on the whole an enjoyable collection.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some stories better than others but over all not a bad read.
Dianne Vandenhurk
Aug 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked the last story best.
Stella
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting variety of authors and stories.
Kristin Davison
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Take Courage: Anne Bronte and the Art of Life
  • The Reinvention of Love
  • Dark Quartet: The Story of the Brontës
  • Parliament of Rooks: Haunting Brontë Country (Yorkshire Ghost Stories)
  • The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë
  • The Taste of Sorrow
  • Hildegard of Bingen: The Woman of Her Age
  • Children of the Master
  • Britain by the Book: A Curious Tour of Our Literary Landscape
  • I Never Knew That About England
  • The Petpost Secret
  • The Great British Dream Factory: The Strange History of Our National Imagination
  • A Book Addict's Treasury
  • In the Season of Blood and Gold
  • Noodling for Flatheads: Moonshine, Monster Catfish, and Other Southern Comforts
  • A Short History of the Jewish People: From Legendary Times to Modern Statehood
  • Nelly Dean: A Return to Wuthering Heights
  • My Secret War Diary, by Flossie Albright: My History of the Second World War 1939-1945
Kate Mosse is an international bestselling author with sales of more than five million copies in 42 languages. Her fiction includes the novels Labyrinth (2005), Sepulchre (2007), The Winter Ghosts (2009), and Citadel (2012), as well as an acclaimed collection of short stories, The Mistletoe Bride & Other Haunting Tales (2013). Kate’s new novel, The Taxidermist’s Daughter is out now.
Kate is the