Start by marking “The Legion and the Lioness (World Apart #1)” as Want to Read:
The Legion and the Lioness (World Apart #1)

The Legion and the Lioness

(World Apart #1)

They said I would never finish flight school. Never rank at the top of my class. Never fly with the top aces. Never return from combat against the Kelton androids. Never survive emergency surgery.
Here I am.
The year is 2151, Earth is gone. A hellscape. I’ve been unfrozen after 72 years of cryosleep on a medical facility on Saturn’s moon, Titan. I have nothing, no home, no
Published December 20th 2017 by Robert Armstrong (first published December 19th 217)

To ask other readers questions about The Legion and the Lioness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legion and the Lioness

Start your review of The Legion and the Lioness (World Apart #1)
Montzalee Wittmann
WOW, what an exciting space adventure!

The Legion and the Lioness by Robert D. Armstrong is truly a fantastic space adventure I had to stay up all night to finish! A Navy fighter pilot, fighting against certain androids on Earth, has quite a great record. She is offered a job piloting a colonization ship to Titan and since it will take so long, her husband will be able to come too. It is early in the trip, things go sideways and she wakes up 72 years later after being in cryogenic sleep until she
David Rose
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, indie
There's both good and bad here.

An original concept, and a little thought underpinning the lifestyle of the colony on Titan.
An intriguing situation, bedevilled by frequent lapses from grace in terms of convincing this reader that Victoria knows anything about flying, or combat. A believable relationship with decent character development, challenged by a certain lack of logic in Luther's return to Earth. Good pace, tripping over unfinished relations with other characters, a few of which are quite
Jason Knickerbocker
I read 5% of this book and had to stop. While the scenes and concepts were entertaining, the composition of every sentence and paragraph was so convoluted that I literally could not read it.

Thanks to the author for putting together what I'm sure is a very enjoyable story, but please find a competent editor. Anything but this. Hell, send me a few chapters and I'll make sure it's comprehensible for free.

I don't like leaving a negative review, I'm honestly just hoping that you'll see this and find
jr weightman
Jan 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry....Not a good book...

I'm sorry but this is a terribly written book. It is not something that I would recommend to anyone. It has a bad start and a worse ending. And the middle isn't any better.
Jason
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The start of this book moves around a fair bit, covering several different short stories, over several different time frames, all relating to Captain Victoria Belic, her past, and some relating to her husband Luther.
We learn about how the world has started to succumb to an Android uprising, and the slow decline of humanity.
The Captain is married to a man named Luther, who suffers from severe anxiety, that has limited his life a bit.
After several bits of her life, and the war, we get to a part
Piper
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

Well written syfy, great characters, interesting story. Captain Belic is a complex character facing her difficulties with a strong kick them in the pants attitude. Enjoyed this read. Waiting for the next book.
Jarett
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good start

Interesting story. Looking forward to next book. I'm hoping it will come sooner than later. Hate waiting a year or more for the next book in a series. Fingers crossed.
Kevin Halcomb
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good read.

I liked the book every believable characters, with human failings like us all. I totally enjoyed it. I look forward to book 2.
Patrick
Jan 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad

Could not finish. The main character's husband was sent to Earth where he was possibly put in stasis (why?). The main character was kept on Titan in stasis because of her wounds (why ?). That makes no sense and it doesn't get better.

The motivations and dialogue don't synch, at least to me. The Android is the strongest and most realistic of all the characters. Sad and I like artificial intelligences. The Android war on earth was insane and there's no explanation of how artificial sentience aro
Joseph Sparling
Not bad

Story gets a little muddled at times. Trying to pack a lot of stuff into one book. The other problem is that i had a very hard time liking the main character. She comes across as kind of a jerk through most of her interactions withe the other characters. The action scenes go by too quickly without any detail given. I think the author was just trying to do too much in too short of a book
Donna and Robert Schaefer
It just stopped randomly ...

I struggled to the end - it wasn't bad, but not great either. Then it just stopped. Not happy ending moment. Just like the author got up to go eat dinner and didn't come back.
Rachel
May 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF.

This was just so bad.

Nothing about this was believable or made any sense, and it's riddled with errors. The dialogue was stilted and the plot was a mess. And that's only in the first handful of pages.
Lyndle
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Decent premise, marred by the author’s lack of craft

A good story and a well conceived plot. But the author could have used a few more revisions and/or edits to clean up the stilted dialogue and jerky scenes.
Happy Booker
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Legion and the Lioness is book one of the World Part series. The novel is a futuristic story about Victoria, an astound pilot that has been frozen for 72 years only to be awakened to fight again in the war of 2151. Earth does not exist anymore and everyone she loved is gone. Only memories of her home and friends and loved ones remain. She is now on Titan, Saturn’s moon.

At first, I began to mold into the concept of this futuristic world built with so much happening, so fast. Once I sunk into
Jsmcmullen
Good action, but plot, characters, well...

This was a frustrating read. The action was good and propelled the story. But those characters... not one was likeable. The main character was especially frustrating. I just didn’t understand her, and I really wanted to like her. The story itself was alternately interesting and unbelievable. For example, humanity is trying to survive on Titan and is expecting to fight a war. There is a general and a colonel but few soldiers, one fighter jet, one android
Virginia Daugherty
what goes around

This book has it all! Robotic enemies, mayhem, fighter pilots, spaceships, and heroes. In the beginning Robots whom are to help humans become self aware and want their freedom..they take over a military base where they capture humans to use as shield. Vic Belic a top gun fighter pilot has to make a decision of killing a few to save billions and she does not hesitate. Then she is offered a job piloting a space ship to Titan, the Saturn moon base colony...Humans next home. She take
Layne
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book with a very interesting story.

The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star was that I absolutely HATE story's with no ending and then have to wait 6+ months or more for the sequel.
Between now and the time the sequel comes out I will have read another 50+ books and the only thing I will remember is the GREAT cover art and the fact that I was left wanting........At this point I am so frustrated that I wish I had not read it. The author could have easily given us a reunion that was memor
Rita
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This space thriller is very action packed and fast paced. Androids have taken over Earth and the humans have sent a colony ship to Titan, the largest moon of Saturn. The humans have been told that the androids launched all of the nuclear missiles and that Earth is now almost completely inhabitable. The leaders of Titan believe the androids are coming to finish off the human race once and for all. The Legion and the Lioness is a great beginning to what I hope will be an even greater series. Rober ...more
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You go into this thinking ‘Oh right another Sci-fi’. Stop. Not another sci-fi book, it was so different and yet not at the same time. One of the first scenes is Victoria with her husband Luther. About her going to war. Straight away it has thrown a normal stereotype on its head. The wife going to war instead of the husband. Depression is talked about, PTSD is brushed on. The story touches subjects very real today’s issues.

The story was great too, you expected it to go a very specific way. Nope a
Peter Bruyns
In 2 Minds

I'm in two minds here. First, this is a good story. It's also fairly unique, I think, and that's a unique thing these days. Robots taking over, that's other new. It's the combination that's new. Then, about half way into the book, the style changes. I am harsh on this YA type of writing. The style changes to this annoying supposedly young adult way of understanding a story. I hate it. It's quite gradually done but continues to the end so it's on purpose. Apart from that, a good story.
Velinda haywood
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DR
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've come to enjoy reading strong female characters as leads in a military setting. I totally got Victoria Belic; pragmatic warrior and ardent lover. RD Armstrong is a new author for me and I like his writing; crisp, clean, straight to the heart of the matter. His word smithing appropriate for this story. I'm going to read all the books in the series because it's exciting, suspenseful, and I want to know how the story ends for Victoria and Luther. ...more
Kath
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Close but not close enough

I love strong female characters and this book certainly has one. That said, I was disappointed by some of her reactions to events and would expect someone with her military background to communicate with more intelligence and act in a more strategic manner.
Dave Neuendorf
This was darker than I normally choose to read, but with flickers of hope. It has a very strong female lead, a fighter pilot with a full allotment of fighter pilot attitude. She is totally motivated by the goal of recovering her lost husband, showing that a woman can be strong and still committed to her man.

I do plan to read the sequel when it is published.
Gregory
Could have been a four star

For a science fiction book there are too many misuses of known technology to rate a four. But the story is interesting, and a new twist on Humans vs AI. Personally I like my sci-fy a little harder on the science, so it was a three star performance from my view. Others might easily feel it was a four.
Rhane
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweeping story that grabs your attention and holds ot

I loved the space opera aspects of this book. The strong female lead character was great. The writer has a clear understanding of how complicated it is to be human. There is acknowledgment of the idea that we can only build on what we know and have experienced. This book can stimulate some excellent discussions.
Adam Windsor
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, sf-fantasy
I would have liked to enjoy this military-themed SF adventure, but I didn't. The structure is awkward, the writing stilted, and the characters thin, with a noticeable tendency to just shout exposition at each other rather than actually act like real people. If there was some particularly interesting idea here it might be salvageable, but it's bog-standard "the robots have rebelled" stuff. ...more
Chelle
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good sci fi read!

I'm not sure why I got this book, to be honest; it didn't sound like my usual chosen fare. Maybe it was free and I liked the cover art?
So color me happily surprised at how much I enjoyed this!
Very good work,sir!

Just one thing: "mid 40ish woman" does NOT equal "old woman". 😉
Jules
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.

Enjoyed reading. Well set up story with good character development. Strong female lead with character faults making her more believable. Looking forward to the next installment.
CAROL RICHARDS
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating character build

Great story and all the things that make a really great read wanted more of lioness escapades also must read other books from this author Robert D Armstrong I know I will

• Starship Sakira (Delphi in Space #1)
  • Marine (Terran Scout Fleet #1)
  • Oblivion Threshold (The Oblivion Saga, #1)
  • Recruit (The United Federation Marine Corps, #1)
  • Delphi City (Delphi in Space #2)
  • Alliance (Fringe Colonies Book 1)
  • Fire Ant (The Navy of Humanity: Wasp Squadron Book 1)
  • Wholesale Slaughter (Wholesale Slaughter #1)
  • INVASION (The Lost Frontier Book 1)
  • Alliance (The United Federation Marine Corps' Grub Wars, #1)
  • The Zero Code (Max Mars, #3)
  • No Plan Survives Contact (Adventures of the Starship Satori #4)
  • ARC Angel (ARC Angel Series Book 1)
  • Blade of Vengeance (Max Mars, #2)
  • Galactic Forge (Galactic Forge, #01)
  • The Last Reaper (Last Reaper #1)
  • The North Star: Galactic Sentinel Book One
  • Crystals (The Navy of Humankind: Wasp Squadron Book 2)

World Apart (4 books)
  • The Legend and the Lioness (World Apart #2)
  • The Reclamation and the Lioness (World Apart #3)
  • The Legacy of the Lioness (World Apart #4)