Start by marking “The Heights of Perdition (The Divine Space Pirates, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Heights of Perdition (The Divine Space Pirates, #1)

The Heights of Perdition

(The Divine Space Pirates #1)

Driven by vengeance, Exto
Published December 20th 2017 by C. S. Johnson

To ask other readers questions about The Heights of Perdition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heights of Perdition

Sherry Fundin
C S Johnson has created a world that was destroyed by a nuclear holocaust and it is easy to picture the devastation and the struggle of the people to survive.

The Heights of Perdition takes us from the Earth to Outer Space and back again.

It was easy to figure out where the story was going but I thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

The people of New Hope, which is formerly New York City, live underground. That alone is enough to creep me out. Above ground is desolate and barren. I do love that C S has s
Jamal Lewis
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sci-fi dystopian with a touch of religion.

I received this title from the author's publicist and read it over two days. That's a good thing. Being a black kid from the ghetto I could certainly relate to disappointing a father by not being admitted into a great school, which is what Aeris experiences here. Accepting that and taking on a job life could actually turn out (at minimum) OK until Aeris is kidnapped by space pirates.

This was a cool read that I could definitely get into reading more of
Jessica Jesinghaus
Check out this review, and many more, on my blog https://jessjesinghaus.wordpress.com

What might become of our civilization after world-wide nuclear war? How might government and humanity react? What would the fallout be? The Heights of Perdition, by C.S. Johnson gives us a possible glimpse.

Aerie St. Cloud is a dutiful student, if not a tad willful, but is eager to prove to her family unit and her government that she can be a strong member of the State military. Growing up under the strict tutel
R.J. Rodda
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5

A gripping story of a revenge-driven space pirate captain who discovers he is attracted to the daughter of his enemy. I couldn’t put this down. This is compelling SF that is uncompromisingly Christian with the gospel well woven in.
Charleyexoh
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Booksgosocial for approving this title for me to read.

I love reading Sci-Fi books and sometimes I find it hard where to start when trying to discover a great read on the subject. I saw the cover of this book and read the description and I knew that I would thoroughly enjoy this. I’m very grateful that I had my request accepted and I did love reading this book!

Aerie is the daughter of a cruel General of the URS and they live in New Hope which is a post nuclear apocalyptic Ne
Dee/ bookworm
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-2018
publisher synopsis: There is nothing Aeris St. Cloud wants more than to win her father's love and the acceptance of her family unit by joining the Military Academy at New Hope. But after she is captured by the fearsome space pirate, Captain Chainsword, Aerie is certain falling in love with her nation's arch enemy is the last possible way to earn their coveted esteem.

Driven by vengeance, Exton Shepherd never set out to save anyone. As he circles the war-torn world in his pirated starship, the Pe
Lillian
I received a copy of this book via the author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of this review.

Post-nuclear war society. Dictators. Pirates. Revenge. Romance. SPACE!!! Y’all this book is fantastic 😀 The Heights of Perdition by C.S. Johnson is the first book in her The Divine Space Pirates series. It is unputdownable (is that a word?). I could not read it fast enough. If you enjoy dystopias and science fiction, I highly recommend it.

Aeris and Captain Chainsword
Aeris, or
Christina Morley
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Heights of Perdition is the first book in The Divine Space Pirates Trilogy. The Christian message comes through strong in this romantic science-fiction adventure series. The story moves quickly and the characters are likable and the dialogues are well thought out. There's plenty of clean chemistry to keep the romantics happy. Without giving any of the story away, I did feel that Emery and Exton were both out of character toward the end. It has a cliff-hanger ending, so be prepared.

Posted on
Juma Juma
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this novel on my Kindle before I had a Goodreads account and was just reminded it of it, coming across a new book by C.S. In this dystopian tale (set in the future), Aerie St. Cloud desperately wants love and affection from her family especially her dad, and as she fights for it, she is kidnapped and taken aboard a purloined ship, Perdition. While on board she falls for the captain, obviously using him to replace her dad.

This was a cool book to read. I'd read more of C.S.
Savannah Henneke
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing and so thrilling
Sarah McConahy
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story from CSJ. Good depth of character from protagonists, antagonists, and various side characters, and it satisfied my standards of sci-fi/dystopian literature. Admittedly, I think my favorite "character" was the Biovid. It held so much future hope for individuals and people as a whole... significant in so many ways! Nicely done, will definitely read the rest in the series!
Caitlyn
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved The Heights of Perdition! Aerie and Exton’s storyline and relationship had me hooked from the very start. This book had just the right amount of romance, action and drama which kept me reading into early hours of the morning. The ending left me shocked and excited and very eager to read the next book in the series! Love, love, love it!
Niamh Gibson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! Aerie is a character I can relate to, personality wise - but I'm not as confident! I really enjoyed the premise of the novel- it was exciting, interesting and fresh., ans the ending was unexpected yet so sad! Eagerly awaiting book 2!!!

P.S Moona is adorable! <3
C.M.
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Heights of Peredition was an enjoyable read, though I would have liked to see more detailed world building in a few spots. The characters were solid and well defined, though I wish they had taken the romance a bit more slowly.
Gay Deputee
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good love story set in Earth's future. Good characters, good story line, fun to read and find out what happens next. Good job, Ms. Johnson.
John
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a good story line with good people.
Karen
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was beautiful and heartwarming. I enjoyed it very much. 5 stars!
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Actual rating is 4.5, but it deserves the bump up!

Thought and Plot

Kidnapped by space pirates??? World destroyed by nuclear war??? Do tell me more!
Aerie St. Cloud only wants to win her father’s love (her father is a high ranking general). But it’s hard when you don’t get to go a top school. Aerie wants to join the Military Academy at New Hope in hopes that this will help her win the acceptance of her family unit. But h
Jocelyne
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The was my first C.S. Johnson’s book. This is the first book in the Divine Space Pirates Series. This is a good Christian Sci-Fi story, with a complex world, well described. Unfortunately, the story ends with a cliffhanger. The duet narration is well done. Scott and Andrea Senff have a great voice, easy to understand. I received this free review copy audiobook at my request and I have voluntarily left this review.
Sarah Scheele
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found The Heights of Perdition a thoroughly enjoyable, creative read for younger readers. Echoes of popular franchises like Star Wars make this futuristic saga familiar, but the ideas and characters were entirely unique and C.S. Johnson does a good job blending a number of elements into something new. More serious readers will relish the thought-provoking images of a future world in which a hysterical dictatorship has risen from the ashes of a nuclear disaster, but teen girls will likely pick ...more
Roger
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Heights of Perdition was my sixth highly enjoyable read/listen from author C.S. Johnson. Narrator Scott Senff adds greatly to the listening enjoyment with the wide variety of entertaining voices & inflections. I was given an Audible copy of this book & am voluntarily reviewing it and look forward to The Breadth of Creation, Book 2. (RIP Marley January 20, 2014 - July 24, 2018).
Angie Thompson
What really stands out to me about this story was the complexity of the characters. Aerie is a loyal citizen of the repressive URS who can't understand why her independent thinking and energetic responses keep getting her in trouble--can't they see she's eager to do her part? Exton captains a ship full of refugees that's playing a vital role in keeping what's left of the world safe, but all he really wants is revenge--no matter what anyone else says. I can't say I fell in love with either one of ...more
Dec 01, 2018 rated it liked it
The Author keeps trying to convert me to romance, won’t happen. Nice try though. This was a great story, really interested to read the rest in the series. Want to know what is going to happen, how it is all going to play out. The religious side wasn’t that heavy or in your fact. It had an impact and adding an extra layer to the story.

Would have loved to see more sci-fi elements but that just me being a heavy sci-fi fan. It interesting to see the Author take on that element. It got me thinking ab
Amy McK
2.5 stars for this space opera saturated with religion

Aeris St. Cloud can't stop messing up and disappointing her father. Newly graduated, she's denied entrance to the military academy in hopes to fight her arch nemesis Captain Chainsword. When she finds her work assignment in comms, she sulks on the surface .... and unwittingly gets taken by the very space pirate himself! Aerie finds all her beliefs pulled out from under her, wonderment in the mothership, Perdition, and unexpected love in space
Boosmummy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA
I got this free from the author for an honest review. Firstly I enjoyed the book and it would definitely be one I recommended to any YA readers. The characters are well written and I enjoyed getting to know Aeris and Exton, the ending was a bit of a shock so I'll be getting book 2 to find out what happens! The only reason it got 3* instead of 4 from me is the typos in the book, sometimes I had to guess what the character said as it looked like a line had been missed but it in no way stopped me f ...more
Krissy McCarron
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. With Aerie a hurry red head coming to terms what is the truth and what she was told what is the "truth" Making friends in the most unlikely of places. Exton funding more about himself and the people he cares about. This is one book you want to read. Who doesn't want to read about space pirates?
Lena
Dec 04, 2017
Leslie
Feb 07, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Dawn of the Infected: A Prequel Novella (Hybrid Chronicles)
  • The Beginning (Precipice, #1)
  • A Zombie Christmas
  • Caligatha
  • The Eaters: Book One: Origin
  • Bones Omnibus
  • Life After the Undead (Life After the Undead #1)
  • Sugar Scars
  • It Takes Death to Reach a Star
  • Crimson Dahlia (Svatura, #3)
  • Your Name, In Fire (Vampire Geek Cycle, #1)
  • Joshua and the Lightning Road (Lightning Road #1)
  • Bloodmoon (Bloodmark Saga, #3)
  • Pretty Dark Sacrifice (Pretty Dark Nothing, #2)
  • Broken Dolls (The Telepathic Clans, # 3)
  • Mutation Z: The Ebola Zombies (Mutation Z, #1)
  • Dark Light: Dawn
  • Satan's Son
C. S. Johnson is the award-winning, genre-hopping author of several novels, including young adult sci-fi and fantasy adventures such as the Starlight Chronicles series, the Once Upon a Princess saga, and the Divine Space Pirates trilogy. With a gift for sarcasm and an apologetic heart, she currently lives in Atlanta with her family. Find out more at http://www.csjohnson.me.

The Divine Space Pirates (3 books)
  • The Breadth of Creation (The Divine Space Pirates #2)
  • The Price of Paradise (The Divine Space Pirates #3)