Start by marking “The Hunting Party” as Want to Read:
The Hunting Party

The Hunting Party

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  20,126 ratings  ·  2,633 reviews
Everyone's invited...everyone's a suspect...

For fans of Ruth Ware and Tana French, a shivery, atmospheric, page-turning novel of psychological suspense in the tradition of Agatha Christie, in which a group of old college friends are snowed in at a hunting lodge . . . and murder and mayhem ensue.

All of them are friends. One of them is a killer.

During the languid days of the
Published January 24th 2019 by HarperCollins UK (first published December 3rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Hunting Party, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kate Lakie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  20,126 ratings  ·  2,633 reviews

Start your review of The Hunting Party
megs_bookrack
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Frenemies. Isolated Location. Blizzard. Murder. Whodunit?

When Emma's turn rolls around to plan the annual 'Friends Getaway' for New Year's Eve holiday, she is looking to impress.

Emma, by pairing up with Mark has become included in 'the group' but never truly felt welcomed.

The rest of the crew, made up of Samira, Miranda, Katie, Mark, Giles and Julien, have been friends since their days at Oxford.

Thusly, they have a well-established, though complex, history together.

Since University, they have
Paromjit
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a hugely enjoyable modern version of a classic golden age crime novel, a psychological thriller with the Christie like tropes of a country house, only here we have a remote and desolate exclusive hunting lodge situated next to a loch in the bleak and forbidding wintry landscapes of the Scottish Highlands. There is a group of thirty something longstanding close friends from Oxford University, who for the last decade have always gathered together over the New Year period. It begins with ...more
Meredith
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

The Hunting Party is an entertaining mystery about a group of seven friends who spend New Year's Eve in the Scottish Highlands at a hunting lodge. By the end, one winds up dead changing all of their lives forever. At the same time, a serial killer is on the loose, the lodge is unreachable due to an intense snowstorm, and some of the guests have lost their minds!

Three couples and one singleton, all of whom became friends 10 years ago while attending Oxford University, travel from
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
A New Year's Reunion In The Remote Scottish Wilderness . . .

•The beautiful one
•The golden couple
•The volatile one
•The new parents
•The quiet one
•The city boy
•The outsider

One of these friends is a murderer. And one won't make it out alive.

JOIN THE PARTY NOW.

(That was on the back of the ARC and it sums it up nicely) *I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway.

These people are supposed to be friends but I think they all lost that along the way. I didn't like a particular person in the group, although
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
I've read this story approximately 1,000 times before, yet I still enjoyed it! There's something about the Agatha Christie-esque classic murder mystery that just ministers to my soul.
Pleased to announce that this is the #ScaredSuspenseBookClub pick for March! We are offering one finished hard copy in a giveaway on the account; this is open internationally! To follow along for discussions, updates, and to enter the giveaway, please follow @scaredsuspensebookclub on Instagram. <3
Katie B
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though the whole murder mystery taking place at a lodge in the middle of nowhere has been done countless times before, I honestly never get sick of it. The combination of that feeling of isolation, the freezing cold weather, and a cast of characters in which everyone is a suspect, just works for me. I really enjoyed this one and I was left guessing until the very end.

A group of old college friends have gathered at a snow lodge in the Scottish Highlands to ring in the new year. And of course
Tammy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The set-up is one we all recognize: a group of friends get together at an isolated location for a reunion and someone winds up dead. There is a killer on the loose. (Gasp) As you get to know the characters, from the ‘it” girl to the successful “mouse” and everyone in between, just about anyone could be the killer or the corpse. Add to this mix, a brooding caretaker with a violent past and we’re off to the races. Speaking of “it” girls, I predict this will be one of the “it” books of the season. ...more
j e w e l s
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FOUR STARS for the story FIVE STARS for the audio production!!

Don't you hate it when a murder ruins a perfectly fun vacation?

The Hunting Party is a modern version of the ancient "locked room" mystery trope. Written beautifully in a haunting atmospheric style, we have a group of long-time friends meeting up at a secluded wilderness resort to celebrate the new year. One minute they're cracking the champagne bottles open and the next thing you know---one of the friends is dead. But who? and
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Let's say you are invited along on an outing with a bunch of friends you have known for a good portion of your life. It's for a stay in an secluded, exclusive lodge that only accepts a very limited guest list throughout the year. The problem is it is so secluded that you could get stuck there if the weather deems it so. OMG no. Hell no! NO!

The Hunting Party is more party then hunting, thank goodness. As an animal lover I was a little concerned with the title. Rest assured, there is only a very
Brandice
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
The Hunting Party is about a group of 9 friends who meet at a secluded lodge to celebrate New Year’s Eve together. The friends are in their early 30s and it’s their tradition to reunite each year for NYE. There are 4 couples: Giles and Samira, Nick and Beau, Emma and Mark, and Miranda and Julien. Their friend Katie also joins the trip. This is a classic whodunnit murder story and the setting of the isolated lodge helps add to the ominous vibe.

It took me a little while to keep track of who was
Dem
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer On finishing this novel I have no idea how this lot called themselves friends to begin with.

I had mixed feelings about The Hunting Party as while I liked the idea for the story it was very drawn out and the characters all seemed to blend together. I was constantly questioning the character's actions and the situations they got themselves into on the holiday.

I did like the setting of this novel, an isolated estate in the Scottish Highlands, the
Meredith B.  (readingwithmere)
3 Stars!

I look straight back at her, as I tread water. I hate you, I think. I hate you. I don't feel bad anymore. You deserve everything that is coming to you.

I want to start by saying this is not a thriller, or rather it's not a thriller in my eyes. This is much more a slow burn (until the last ~30 pages) suspense novel. It's been marketed as a thriller and I think going in with that mindset did not help while I was reading this book.

During a holiday break, seven friends and an Icelandic
Miriam Smith
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very much looking forward to reading "The Hunting Party", so many fellow reviewers were recommending it and the blurb sounded exactly what I like from a crime mystery. Set in the Highlands of Scotland, my favourite holiday destination, I actually felt like I was staying in the lodge with the characters and could relate to the surrounding towns, dense, scary forests and beautiful but icy lochs. Very atmospheric and with the right amount of tension and suspense, I thoroughly enjoyed this ...more
Brenda -Traveling Sister
Friends with secrets, couples and strangers, a secluded hunting lodge and a dead body make for some intriguing elements.

The Hunting Party starts off with an unknown dead body and we are left till the end to find out who it is from a group of thirty-somethings who come together in a secluded hunting lodge to celebrate New Year’s Eve. We learn from some background into the characters just how unlikable these characters are. The more we see just how unlikable they are we see that it could be any
Andy Marr
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
What a lot of silly old nonsense.

Too many unnecessary characters, and the red herrings were far too red to blend in with the normal herrings. There was also too much talk of first-world problems, and the characters were all so unpleasant that, actually, by the time the victim and murderer were revealed, I cared not a jot about their fate.

Silly book.

Silly, silly book.
Stephanie Nicholas
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book came highly recommend as a friend's top three of current thrillers she had read. I will say the setting in the Scottish Highlands was amazing, and I felt as though the author really used setting as a character all its own so that I was easily drawn in to feeling as if I was there with the cast of characters. This was told from multiple points of view, though there were characters I wish I'd known a little more about. I was not biting my nails or sitting at the edge of my seat, but I ...more
Victoria
May 04, 2019 marked it as enough-already  ·  review of another edition
When you realize you don’t really care who died in a whodunit and being stuck in the characters’ heads is worse than being snowbound in the wilderness with a killer, then it’s time to give it up. I really wanted to like this one, but I’m hanging up the antlers and we are parting ways early.
Beverly
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kerri
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't like the characters very much, wasn't emotionally invested in knowing who had been murdered, or who had done it, but I did enjoy this book. The last book I read was excellent but challenging -- this one I just flew through, and it was a nice, fun palate cleanser. A welcome change of pace that gave my brain some time to recover and rest.

At one point, Miranda wonders to herself, 'Is there anything sadder than a once-beautiful woman who has lost her looks?'. It highlights one of the many
Ken
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable take on the classic secluded Whodunnit, as a group of friends continue their traditional annual reunion over the New Years by celebrating the occasion in the Scottish wilderness.
With one the party found dead and everyone else a suspect, this wasn’t the resolution anyone made for 2019...

Whilst I felt this type of mystery had been told better, it was the wintery location of the lodge that really appealed to me.

With the story told through various POV’s it was quite easy to get
Book of Secrets°ღ
A group of friends meet at a remote lodge in the Scottish Highlands to celebrate New Year's Eve. One of them ends up dead, and another is the murderer. But who's dead, and whodunit? The story flips back and forth between characters and before and after the murder, until the truth is slowly revealed.

I loved the premise of this book, however I struggled to stay engaged. There were many POVs presented, and their voices were so similar it was hard to keep track. The whole group of them gave off a
Kayleigh Kehoe ♡
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
wordpress tumblr instagram twitter
_____________________________

This is basically about a group of fictional friends who have no redeemable qualities and are unbearably nasty to each other on "holiday" in a lodge that is cut off from the rest of civilisation for a few days after it snows heavily. During this inaccessible time, one of the group gets murdered, and everyone is a suspect.

And I wish that all of them was killed and the murderer lived happily ever after. That's how despicable
Darinda
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of old university friends take a trip to celebrate New Year's together. They travel to a remote estate in the Scottish Highlands. Within a few days, tensions have risen, secrets are revealed, and someone dies.

The character list for this novel is fairly long, with eleven guests plus a baby staying at the estate and three employees working there. The employees are Heather, Doug, and Iain. The university friends are Miranda, Katie, Julien, Mark, Nick, and Samira. Miranda and Julien are now
NZLisaM
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Rounded Up.

Nine guests, and one baby, friends since their university days ten years previously, arrive at a Lodge in the Scottish Highlands, for a fun-filled, relaxing New Years Getaway.

Emma and Mark (Boyfriend and Girlfriend. Emma organised the trip)
Miranda and Julien (Married)
Nick and Bo (Married)
Samira and Giles, and baby, Priya (Married)
Katie (their single friend)

But are these friends really as close as they appear? And what happens to their friendship’s when all their secrets come to
Andrea
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
I really wanted to love this book,but found the characters didn't really connect with me.the greatest part of the book was the scenery of Scotland as visited the highlands recently lochs wildlife,log cabins villages.just wished there was more connection with the story.its an average read for me.
Amitaf0208
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! I love the premise of this book - a group of close friends stormed in over new years holidays in a hunting lodge. And of course, there is an murder! It was very enjoyable and so entertaining that i read this over the weekend instead of catching up on TV! Loved it!
Amy Imogene Reads
Not as Agatha Christie-like as you might think, but still a great (if strange) thriller. This was one of the best uses of split-time POVs that I've read.

Characters:
Execution of the plot:
Reveal:
Enjoyment level:

The Hunting Party feels like an Agatha Christie novel on paper. The select, closed group of suspects. The modern-day "manor"-esque setting of the Lodge getaway. The snowed-in isolation. The murder.

But this is no Christie murder-at-the-manor. Once you get past the setting and the closed
Liz Barnsley
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved this.
Properly atmospheric, the chilly, claustrophobic yet open setting cleverly sets the scene for a wonderfully old school murder mystery, with a stellar cast of characters for the reader to get their teeth into and either love or loathe.
Descriptively this is beautifully written the aforementioned setting coming to vivid and gorgeous life, enter into this wild landscape a group of friends whose history and random hidden jealousies rise to the surface, ultimately leading to murder…
Definite
Amanda
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This books starts with a very mysterious beginning. Heather and Doug the gamekeeper, are missing a guest and then a body is discovered and it looks like murder!!

When a group of Oxford University friends that call themselves “The Inner circle” plan to spend New Year on the remote Scottish Highlands, you can tell by the amounts of champagne they take that they are planning to have a merry time!!

Although they plan to be together every News Year Eve, their other commitments such as work and family
Dennis
4 solid, fun-filled stars!

This one was a fun one, folks! 2019 will be Lucy Foley's year, I'm telling you now. The Hunting Party is one wild whodunnit adventure. When a group of friends decide to rent out a winter wilderness retreat for New Year's, old conflicts reemerge, personal vendettas are heightened, and secrets are bound to unravel at the seams. As a last ditch effort to engage the group and bond, they decide to embark on this fun vacation tradition for holiday. Two days after the group

• The Last
  • Those People
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Stranger Diaries
  • The Rumour
  • The Suspect (Kate Waters, #3)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Before She Knew Him
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • My Sister, the Serial Killer
  • Someone We Know
  • I Know Who You Are
I live in London, but love traveling - both in real life and on the page (hence the appearance of some far flung locations in my writing).

My latest novel is The Invitation - set in the film world of the 1950s, along the Italian Riviera.

My debut novel, The Book of Lost & Found, published in early 2015.

You can find my Facebook page here:

and follow me on
“It is a dark place form which you can never quite return. It does something to you, the first time. An essential change somewhere deep in the soul, the amputation of something important. The first time is the worst, but with each death the soul is wounded further. After a while there is nothing left but scar tissue.” 1 likes
“But it is a lot easier to face the day when you know you won't have to face other people and their happiness.” 1 likes