Start by marking “Summer of Love” as Want to Read:
Summer of Love

Summer of Love

The dark days of the war are over, but the family secrets they held are only just dawning.

In the hot summer of 1949, a group of family and friends gather at Harry Denholm's country house in Kent. Meg and Dan Ranscombe, emerging from a scandal of their own making; Dan's godmother, Sonia; and her two young girls, Laura and Avril, only one of whom is Sonia's biological daugh
Kindle Edition
Published May 31st 2018 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about Summer of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer of Love

Start your review of Summer of Love
Cathy
Summer of Love is billed as a standalone sequel to Caro Fraser’s earlier book, The Summer House Party.   It definitely can be read as a standalone but if, like me, you still have a lovely copy of The Summer House Party sitting unread on your bookshelf, be aware that the opening pages of Summer of Love reveal a lot of what transpired in the first book.  For this reason I would recommend that, if you intend to read The Summer House Party, you read it before Summer of Love.

The book open
Literary Soirée
A dazzling Downton Abbey in post-WWII England. Perfect beach read! 5/5

Cheers to NetGalley and Head of Zeus for the Arc. Opinions are mine.

#SummerOfLove #NetGalley
Andrea
Shelves: owned-books
After the shock towards the start of this story, I wondered whether I was going to like it as much as The Summer House Party (or whether to continue at all). I should not have worried. Superb continuation of the saga and I can thoroughly recommend it.
Katherine Hayward Pérez
Summer of Love follows Max Avril and Laura in their adulthood during the years 1948-1963 and is a thrilling book about life, love loss and overcoming adversity in London and other areas of England during these years. The images and descriptions are faultless and the pace is so quick yet easy to follow. There is a book before this, The Summer House Party, which I also have the ARC of, but it is not essential to read them in order. Avril was the character I found hardest to like. She only wants th ...more
Elaine's Reviews
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I really loved this book. A fictional story set in post-war London and surrounds, it tells the story of an extended family whose lives over the following 15 or so years are caught up in secrets, scandals, love and loss. I felt immersed in 50's and 60's life and loved reading about the jazz clubs, the parties and the lifestyles from that time. I liked all of the characters and at various different times was probably rooting for them all over one incident or another.

This is absolutely my fav
Juliet Bookliterati
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Summer of Love covers the years 1948 - 1963 and follows the lives of Max, Avril, and Laura as  they grow from teenagers to adults and have to face that they have all been lied to by their parents about different things.  When I started this book I didn't realise that Caro Fraser had written a previous book to this focusing on the lives of the parents of Max, Avril and Laura and the secrets of the past.  You can read The Summer of Love as a standalone, the history of the characters and previo ...more
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm rather fond of books set in the post-war period - perhaps because it's a time I haven't lived through, and this lived up to my expectations. It's a very appealing read.

Harking back to different days, this is a novel which takes us through the transition in society from the post-war formal times with household staff to the swinging sixties. Covering several summers, we follow Laura, Averil, and Max from childhood through to full adulthood, but this is more than a coming-of-age sto
Julie Morris
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been a huge fan of Caro Fraser’s books for years, her Caper Court series being books I return to time after time for unbeatable plotting and characterisation so I was delighted to be offered the chance to review her latest novel Summer of Love. This is in a different vein from the contemporary Caper Court books being, as the title suggests, set in the post-war period from 1949 until the swinging sixties.

The book centres around the lives of Max, Avril and Laura from their child
Joanne
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Summer of Love is the follow on from Caro Fraser’s brilliant The Summer House Party from last year. That was a book I adored, and I’ve found Summer of Love to be just as good if not better.
Summer of Love starts in the summer of 1949, a few years after the previous book ended. Meg and Dan Ranscombe have gone to visit their friend Harry Denholm at his new country home in Kent along with son Max and Sonia Hardon’s two daughters Avril and Laura. One fateful day a secret is revealed which leads
Jane Hunt
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an atmospheric book, immersing you in the post-war decades of the 1950s and 1960s. 'Summer of Love' is the sequel to ' The Summer House Party', which I haven't read but it is a complete story, and there is an adequate backstory to make this read well as a standalone.

A tragedy, a mystery and oodles of deceit and passion make this an absorbing story. The vivid setting provides the perfect backdrop for Avril, Laura and Max to find out who they are as adults.

Avril is the least empa
Lizp
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I have long been a fan of Caro Fraser, having found the Caper Court series to be engrossing. Summer of Love is a great read. The characters are well drawn and the plot is engaging. The turbulent waves that emerge from the tragedy of Meg’s death are long ranging. Avril is a mendacious person; a truly nasty piece of work. Philip, a bit of a Ripley, is a perfect partner for her. Now there’s a match hatched in hell.

I highly recommend Summer of Love.

It’s com
Donna
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would say this book was a saga that followed the lives of three main characters. Avril is a young jealous girl when this story begins. She is a character you will love to hate and feel sorry for at the same time. Laura is the character who you will feel like wanting to jump into the book to give advice. Max's character is troubled. I found the end of this story ending with many questions. Is there going to be a sequel?
Stephanie Turner
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great read

I have read all of Caro Fraser’s books and enjoyed everyone of them, it’s always disappointing when I finish one.
Jill Shortt
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read the first in the series, The Summer House Party, before this one. I will read it anyway.
Donna Prentice
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed this, finished it in one day. Although predictable in places, an enjoyable read
Linda Louch
Jon
Nov 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Housemate
  • Seven Sisters (Seven Sisters #1)
  • The Butterfly Room
  • The Betrayal
  • The Turning Point
  • The Silk Merchant's Daughter
  • Old Baggage
  • Now You See Them
  • A Cornish Secret (Tremarnock #4)
  • Postcards from Berlin
  • The Gravedigger's Daughter
  • The Woman Who Fooled The World: Belle Gibson’s Cancer Con, and the Darkness at the Heart of the Wellness Industry
  • The Understudy
  • The Jones Family Food Roster
  • A Roman Rhapsody
  • The Mistletoe Matchmaker (Finfarran #3)
  • The Heart of the Night