Start by marking “I Do Not Trust You” as Want to Read:
I Do Not Trust You

I Do Not Trust You

Memphis "M" Engle is stubborn to a fault, graced with an almost absurd knowledge of long lost languages and cultures, and a heck of an opponent in a fight. In short: she's awesome.

Ashwin Sood is a little too posh for her tastes, a member of an ancient cult (which she’s pretty sure counts for more than one strike against him), and has just informed Memphis that her father w
Published September 11th 2018 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about I Do Not Trust You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Do Not Trust You

Debra
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"M”, short for Memphis, is still reeling from the death of her father when she is followed one evening by a young British man by the name of Ash. He has a lot of revelations for her and one is a real zinger - her father is not dead but being kept captive by the cult of Set. She is naturally shocked but not overly so, her father’s kidnapping makes sense as he is able to decipher symbols and has vast knowledge of Ancient Cultures and their language. To make things even more interesting, Ash is als ...more
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Wow, M! “M” is short for Memphis, our first main character. She is assertive and overwhelmingly intelligent with savant-type knowledge in certain areas. She speaks several languages, and she knows martial arts (of course!). Overall, I loved her.

Ashwin “Ash” Sood is a little too preppy for M. He is also a member of an ancient cult. Did I lose you?

Ash rocks M’s world by telling her that not only is her late father not dead, he also urgently needs her help.

M and Ash team up to travel the world i
Berit☀️✨
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Intrigue! Mythology! Distrust!

Laura Croft move over and make some room for Memphis! This book was filled with mystery, intrigue, mythology, Magic, and travels, and it was a lot of fun! This book takes you all over the world from the US to Norway to Paris to Egypt.... this book is a little step out of my usual reading but I’m glad I read it! I think I would classify this more as a mystery rather than adventure?

Memphis was a witty, Independent, and intriguing young lady. With a propensity for lang
Chelsea Humphrey
This is my second read from this author duo, and while I didn't love it as much as my last book from them, it was still overall a positive read for me. I was intrigued by the plot while browsing on NetGalley, as I haven't come across many YA novels lately that have this type of adventure focus, but the blurb hooked me immediately and I had to know more. Both of the main characters are racially diverse which was a huge plus, and I found the atmospheric portion of the novel to be stellar. My main ...more
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a fast-paced and thrilling adventure novel.

M, is the daughter of an archeologist who has been living with her guardians since she was informed her dad had passed away. Ash enters the picture, young and well-built and just happens to inform M that her dad is actually alive. From that moment on, both will travel around the world in a race against time, visiting ancient places, finding clues to will help save M’s father.

The novel is told in alternating perspectives and is set in places all
Kendall
Let me start off by giving this BEA-UTIFUL cover a shout out! I can't lie by saying this is what gravitated me to this book. Love the red and the dark colors combined <3.

Now.. let me get to the good stuff. So this reminded me a tad bit of Indiana Jones status with traveling the world. What I liked about the book? I really enjoyed "M" who is short for Memphis. She is quite the independent and bad ass women with her martial arts skills. Ash is also very interesting and what I loved even more is
Mackey
Note - My full review, along with an author interview, is on my blog: https://macsbooks311.wordpress.com

Memphis “M” Engel is stubborn to a fault, graced with an almost absurd knowledge of long lost languages and cultures, and a heck of an opponent in a fight.  Ashwin “Ash” Sood is a little too posh for M’s tastes, a little too good looking, and has way too many secrets. He desperately wants the ancient map M inherited from her archeologist father, believing it will lead him to a relic with the p
Carrie
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I Do Not Trust You by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz is a young adult action and adventure fantasy that is based off of mythology. Think of this one as sort of a female teenage Indiana Jones type of character trotting around the globe to save the day from ancient gods.

Memphis "M" Engle was raised by globetrotting parents and was speaking multiple languages and exploring ancient ruins right after she learned to walk and talk. Trained in martial arts and smarter than her teachers M should have b
Iulia
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2018
I received a copy of this book from St. Martin’s Press via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I Do Not Trust You is a fast-paced YA novel with an engaging heroine and a decent mix of adventure and mythology. In my opinion, it could have benefited from a less generic title, but in any case one should not judge a book by its cover (or name, in this instance)

As far as the premise goes, I Do Not Trust You proved to be exciting and would overall be a safe bet for any reader in search for som
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
If there’s one genre I loved as a kid, but don’t see much in the YA age range nowadays, it’s the action/adventure story. While I Do Not Trust You is being marketed as a mystery novel—and I can see certain aspects of that, too, don’t get me wrong—I think this book would be fantastic for anyone who loved action-packed, suspenseful tales of people being sent on wild missions, full of unexpected obstacles and enemies.

It is said that the battle between Set, god of discord and mischief, and Horus, g
Erin
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
2.5 failed to compel stars
Once again I was lured in by a flashy cover and an intriguing synopsis. Think Da Vinci Code meets Indiana Jones. But I just felt myself instantly bored because there wasn't a lot of action. A lot of talking though...so much talking. If this book had just had Memphis(M) that would have been fine. Searching the Paris catacombs? Oh so cool but I failed to feel committed to the story.
Thanks to Netgalley for an e- ARC in exchange for an honest review
Lou
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Having had my interest piqued by the synopsis, when I was offered a copy of 'I Do Not Trust You' I decided to take the plunge, but I must admit it was a bit of a mixed bag for me. For starters, the book is marketed as a young adult (YA) thriller, but in reality this is more of YA Fantasy, with a particular focus on mythology. This is quite a unique book, but I can't help but feel that the author missed a trick in terms of the poor execution. It certainly had a tinge of Indiana Jones about it, an ...more
Susan Kennedy
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. As I read I could only think of young Lara Croft and Indiana Jones. Ithink they are very similar. And as I love those characters, Memphis was a great character as well. I enjoyed the characters growth and how they learned more of each other. It was interesting and had action.

Memphis was really intelligent and witty to boot. She is young, yet wise beyond her years. It is obvious she has a strong family bond. That doesn’t only mean blood relatives either. I loved her.

As
Ashley
Sep 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley, 2018
See full review and many more at: 5171 Miles Book Blog.

Many thanks to Wednesday Books and Netgalley for the chance to read and review this book.

Unfortunately, I Do Not Trust You completely missed the mark for me as a reader. I think due to the book being marketed to bloggers as a YA Thriller, we were slightly set up for failure from the get-go. Luckily, the book's genre is labeled more accurately on Goodreads, classifying it as YA Fantasy/Mythology. I'm not someone who normally enjoys Fantasy no
☙ percy ❧
(2.75 stars)

i feel like i probably should have liked this more than i actually did. the two main characters were both mixed-race, which was great because i love seeing fellow mixed-race people in books; the book centered around ancient egypt, archaeology and trying to save the world from a mad cult of the egyptian god set. sounds awesome, right?

it should have been super awesome. instead, it was good, but only in an average way.

you would have thought that venturing to various countries in sear
Kathy - Books & Munches
If there's one thing I absolutely loved about this novel, it's all the mythology. I'm no fan of history at all, but mythology? That's different! A lot of cultures and, automatically, a whole range of myths were mentioned, spoken of and told.

An adventure. That's precisely what this book is. Together with Memphis - or M - and Ashwin, we leave on a journey around the world to find pieces of a Set-statue. The way puzzles, hieroglyphs and well thought-out settings were used and described spoke to me
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
. : ☾⋆ — 3 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review (thank you St. Martin's Press and Wednesday Books!!)

I Do Not Trust You tells the story of an ancient relic of the Egyptian god Set that’s been broken into pieces which have been strategically placed throughout the globe in sacred sites to prevent anyone from acquiring the power to destroy the world. after her father’s death, Memphis, M for short, has inh
Dianne
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I DO NOT TRUST YOU by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz is a young adult thriller with an intriguing plot, dark secrets and some globe-trotting adventure that could prove deadly to the world if long lost artifacts are brought together in one place.

The fate of the world and the life of one man will be caught up in a race against time as Memphis Engle, a teen version of Indiana Jones teams up with Ashwin Sood, a devout member of an ancient cult with a gift given by the gods to save her father’s lif
Sharon
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
A female Indiana Jones with a knack for languages, lost cultures and self-defense goes on a round-the-world search for relics to save the world from an ancient Egyptian sect and curse!

This was a fun, illuminating read that covers archaeology, religion, and history while taking readers on a wild ride to far flung cities. At the heart of the story is 18-year-old Memphis or "M" who is taken in by a well-meaning couple after her father dies. She later learns he could be alive and the key to his sur
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Top Reasons You Should Give I Do Not Trust You a Try:

1. Fast paced YA mystery that will keep you entertained.
2. Chocked full of mythology and lore.
3. Amazing settings that are drool worthy.
4. A sassy and smart heroine that will be sure to capture your attention.
5. A story rich in history and in depth culture from the Egyptians, to the Romans, to the Greeks.

*ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*
Patricia
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed read I DO NOT TRUST YOU, a young adult novel which takes M and Ash all over the world trying to find all of the pieces to an ancient statue of Set. A cult of Horus worshipers believe that when the statue is reassembled, the world will be destroyed. I received this book for an honest review.
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This really looks like a thriller-y book, but I can tell you it's not.

Seriously though, the title and the cover both scream THRILLER or MYSTERY or ACTION or something along those lines at me... but instead it kind of turned into an international archaeology hunt with some ancient gods thrown in there just because.

So in case you're wondering, THIS IS ABOUT MYTHOLOGY AND NOT A SUSPENSE NOVEL. @me who never reads blurbs and is constantly presuming books are in a different genre...

But moving on from
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
DNF at 15%

This book is very unrealistic. It should be a middle grade book, in my opinion. The concept is interesting enough when you read the synopsis, but the execution is poor.
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found here!

Thanks to Netgalley and Wednesday Books for an ARC!

DNF at 13%

I got this as a freebie from Wednesday Books with the offer of taking part in a book tour. Boy am I glad I didn’t sign up for that!

From the first chapter, I could tell that this wasn’t going to be for me. There was just something… off about it. A vague sense that something wasn’t right. Then, I pushed on for a few more chapters and figured it out.

The characters were just there doing things. I had no f
Carlene Inspired
Find this review and others at Carlene Inspired.

3.5 Stars

A young adult fantasy novel, I Do Not Trust You by Laura J. Burns and Melinda Metz is about Memphis and Ash and their quest to save M's father and rescue the world from destruction at the hands of Mythological gods. Memphis "M" knows all about reading ruins, archeology trips, and everything related to Mythology. Ash is part handsome partner in crime and part secret cult member. The two don't click easily, but with a goal in mind that helps
Susan Csoke
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Upon the death of her archeologist father Memphis Engel inherits a map that will locate a prized relic. Untrusting of Ashwin Sood, Memphis has no choice but to form an alliance with him. Together they travel through Paris and Norway to the ruins of a temple in Egypt. Thankyou Goodreads for this free book!!!!
Justine
I believe this was marketed as suspense, well it was in a way but it falls more of under the category of adventure, mystery, and mythology. I was taken aback by the sudden and it completely changes my mood towards it.

At first reading, I was looking for the very thrill of that intense suspense but I was given a different kind, it was okay. I have easily read through and could have finished it in one night but I find certain scenes repetitive and hard to focus on when it gives me that oh, this wil
Jamie :)
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I had such high expectations here and somehow the book just ended up so MEH. The characters lacked depth but really the plot line just was not engaging for me. Way too analytical and not enough fun or plot twists.

Sadly was let down by this book but wound up giving it three stars just because it was so original and had some cool mummy I dig up old fossils vibes that I would normally be so about! Three stars for originality but unfortunately did not impress.

Full review on the blog: https://bub
Chrissie
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, netgalley
Just surfacing above the depths from the loss of her father, Memphis Engle is still a force to be reckoned with. From the brief introduction to M, the reader learns how worldly and knowledgeable she is. Even more so as we get to know her, M could never be confused for an average American teenager. She's tenacious, cultured, traveled, selfless, and fully trained if the need to take down an opponent should arise.

Enter Ashwin Sood...he comes to M with the news that her father is not actually dead.
Amy Risner
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-arcs, 2018-books
ARC provided by Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review

I Do Not Trust You completely surprised me in the best of ways. What I initially thought was going to be a YA thriller turned into a fast-paced urban fantasy with supernatural elements. I was loving the action, adventure, and non-stop globe-trotting. This book is seriously an archeology enthusiast’s dream, and would be perfect for fans of The Mummy, Indiana Jones, and the Robert Langdon novels (The Da Vinci Code, Inferno) by Dan Bro
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Wrong in All the Right Ways
  • Cinderella Boy
  • The Missing Season
  • Deadfall
  • Hour of Mischief (The Clockwork God Chronicles, #1)
  • The Fall of Grace
  • Dive Smack
  • In Your Light
  • Hide With Me
  • Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Girls of July
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • State Machine (Rachel Peng, #3)
  • A Thousand Fires
  • Untitled
  • Untitled (Flirting in Italian, #3)
  • Missing at 17
  • The Most Precious Memory
Laura J. Burns has written more than thirty books for kids and teens, touching on topics from imaginary lake monsters to out-of-control Hollywood starlets. (Those two things have more in common than you'd think.)

With Melinda Metz, she has also written for the TV shows ROSWELL, 1-800-MISSING, and THE DEAD ZONE. Their next book is THE LOST MAP OF CHAOS, coming in 2018!

Laura lives in New York with he